Caves Beta - October 16th Update

I'll see what I can do ToNiO55, but I do rent the servers from Killservers, so there's a limited amount of things I can take on with regards to OS level things like permissioning.    (my goal w. this setup was to give Killservers a chance to work on the DST, and now the caves, so they'd have it smooth for other users, I do the same w. my Citadel servers setup)

Unrelated to that, this code feels really unstable.  My Kitchen, survival server hosted by Citadel servers, has crashed and restarted twice in like 5 minutes.

I wish I had more time right now to poke more at this, but I have to run or be late to my d&d game.  Sorry, real life.  (for versions of real life where d&d == real, and, just for the record, if Dungeons and Dragons isn't Real Life then I don't wanna live.)

I'll look more at stuff tomorrow morning.

Thanks ToNiO55, along w. DarkZero, I really appreciate community members helping out, that's awesome.

• Developer

Something seems off. The log.txt is no longer generated in the Klei folder. Last log file is from September 21st.

Edit: I mean my Klei/DoNotStarveTogether file where the log file should be. However, the last log.txt seems to be from three weeks ago. "[00:00:00]: Current time: Mon Sep 21 13:30:32 2015"

Oh, this often happens if there's a permissions issue, which can explain the trouble connecting as well. Did you recently upgrade your OS? Do you have write access to the klei folder? Is the game being run from an account with administrator rights? I'm kind of shooting in the dark, but this might be a clue...

Related to my issue:

If it helps: I have now set up my dedicated servers running. Name of the server is "Baboonila"

Cave server seems to connect to master server but with a last message: "[sHARD] Registering in lobby as a slave server..."

I'll keep them running in case it helps.

Edit: Ping no longer shows as ???. Ping 16 (server on same machine as client)

@Ipsquiggle, Here is the client logs that you asked for when I said that my cave server wasn't accessible any more from the last update.  

Also like I said before I think something is wrong with the slave server because it's showing up in the server listings as a separate server, but I don't know why. It was working a few days ago and I didn't change anything.

log.txt

Hi guys,

Since this update, it is now impossible to connect to my dedicated server running on Ubuntu 14.04 (VPS).

I suspect that using the steam P2P network has something to do with it:

Dedicated servers should now be reachable via Steam’s NAT traversal system without needing to manually open ports.

steam p2p connect fail is displayed after each connection attempt.

I tried deactivating my firewall, same problem.

Any tip to fix the issue? Not being a steam developer I can't access the API doc to troubleshoot myself.

(https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/networking)

Oh, this often happens if there's a permissions issue, which can explain the trouble connecting as well. Did you recently upgrade your OS? Do you have write access to the klei folder? Is the game being run from an account with administrator rights? I'm kind of shooting in the dark, but this might be a clue...

Sorry for the delay, missed your post. A good guess but the answer is no.

I did not update OS, DST is not in my C: drive, there should be no issue with permission. 

I'm thinking really hard but there are no significant changes made. Before the update my servers ran fine. I am also trying to figure out what is the user error I have made to cause this but can't figure it out. The best solution I came up with was that my ports were in use. However, I shut down my firewall completely and tried it then, also tried changing the ports. Tried running with port forwarding and without. Did not fix it.

The problem to my limited knowledge is the message "could not verify that xxx port is open in firewall".

It comes up even without a firewall. That can't be right.

Edit: realized the Documents/Klei folder is in C:drive. Went to properties of the folder and separately established admin rights. Did not fix the problem.

Edit 2: Separately set all 3 executables (client + 2 dedicated servers) to run in admin mode. Did not fix the problem.

Edit 3: Also a new message is appearing from the caves server that i mentioned: "[sHARD] Registering in lobby as a slave server..." This is the last message that appears in the log. This did not happen before. To me it looks like its requesting something and no response is given. Then again I know nothing, Jon Snow, relevant or not.

well my server crashed and i shutdown and restarted server. I had 7 people in the server when it crashed. Despite it is crashed and i shutdown both servers, game lobby still shows that my server is up and there is 7 people inside... No matter what i did, i could not bring up my server... Log files say server is up and connected when I restart but, game lobby resists to show the one that is crashed.... Running ubuntu 14.

Same problem as PolarBeer, or similar. Server has been shut down completely but it still shows up in list with game days about half an hour ago. Restarting server doesn't help, neither reinstalling or updating.

here are my logs and setting files on starting server with the screen of bugged server in gamer browser. Also website http://dstservers.jacklul.com/ shows my game as hosted as well.

Please take a look at it asap.

- art

post-592125-0-76007700-1445055472_thumb.

log.txt

log_caves.txt

settings.ini

settings_caves.ini

I was on PolarBeer's server when it crashed and cannot connect, however it's still on the server list and shows me as being on there, despite it being down. Unable to connect to the majority of dedicated servers listed, which I'm guessing means they're having the same problem. It says "server not responding" when I try to join any of them. Fix asap, please, this is pretty game breaking.

So i am still disconnecting from servers. Today i tried my regular world where i play all the time and still getting disconnects. Admin closed those ports in router (from that last update) and we thought it is fixed but then again disconnected. Also it is random for me ... maybe pattern is 10min - off - 5min - off - 2min - off - 1min - off and then it repeats with 10min (im jsut guessing this). Also sending my newest log after many disconnects. Hope you fix this for us Mac users soon :)

EDIT: Maybe just maybe it doesn't happen that much when you are all the time in base but still after couple game days - disconnected

EDIT2: At least 4 of my Mac friends have this issue too.

log.txt

Unable to connect to the majority of dedicated servers listed,

if you can't connect on all servers dedicated

it's maybe problem with server of klei (http://dontstarvetogether.com/status/) or with steam in the moment

for now I don't have this problem with my all servers dedicated

it is indeed possible that the problem comes from the recent update but the problem would be permanent, I see nothing out of the moment

I am a bit worried about how mods are handled for multi-level servers.

In the caves guide, it is recommended to use the same game folder and to boot both servers at the same time.

But once a server boots, it deletes all mods and re-download them from workshop.

This may create conflicts between both servers...

And even if we don't boot them at the same time, what happens when one server tries to access a mod that is being deleted by the other server? Is there a pre-compiled version of the mod stored in memory or something?

Archived