Game Update 137410 - 5/25/2015

(to devs, if they ever read these comments)

Awesome, so do you expect people now to use normal meats to make eggs? Its easier to make meaty stew then. And what do you expect us to do with all of this monster meat from hounds? Let rot? Come up with more retarded changes week before jun 3 so you can have your game as buggy as possible!

And also, you are turning don't starve into pet game. No one is going to give a duck about these pointless pets.

Birds in Bird Cages now signal their distress when they’re getting hungry.

I really do not complain about anything in this game, but that's the most annoying thing possible. Destroy your ability to give monster meat is bad, but I resign myself to balance the birds, but to feed them makes the game boring for making me and my companions to return to base for this disturbing everything. Please withdraw this T___T 

Awesome, so do you expect people now to use normal meats to make eggs? Its easier to make meaty stew then. And what do you expect us to do with all of this monster meat from hounds? Let rot? Come up with more retarded changes week before jun 3 so you can have your game as buggy as possible!

And also, you are turning don't starve into pet game. No one is going to give a duck about these pointless pets.

Good point!

Also, devs, I'd suggest that the birds could not eat meat (won't accept it) and you'd give them seeds to get eggs (so, basically have a chance of getting an egg from the bird when giving it a seed), but when giving fruits or veg to the birds in cages, they would give back seeds or the specific type of seeds.

Let's not be mean... 

I wanted to take a look at the pet lavae so I killed a dragonfly in order to get an egg, but she didn't drop one T_T...
(YES, I'm playing with the newest version)
PLEASE WHAT AM I DOING WRONG and how can I spawn lavae eggs???

I wanted to take a look at the pet lavae so I killed a dragonfly in order to get an egg, but she didn't drop one T_T...

(YES, I'm playing with the newest version)

PLEASE WHAT AM I DOING WRONG and how can I spawn lavae eggs???

Hint: It's Larvae not Lavae. I made that same mistake once V_V

Or if you feed the bird too many dragon seeds, then it instantly transforms into a different bird

It would transform into a dragon who would drop its scales, which would be dragon fruits :-)

imagination

@BabalooL,  @228, Monster meat can still be used to turn pigs into werepigs and get 2 meat and pig skin so unless they change that it still has a use other than being eaten by webber, rotting, also 

@228 don't be rood to the devs please they made a wonderful great game and if you don't like it you can stop playing and leave.  :(

But then... what is Larvae?
Lavae is a pun, like butter dropping from butterflies. Basically...

A baby insect is a "larva", plural "larvae".

The dragonfly is fire and lava themed, so... "lava", "lavae". It looks like they didn't use the singular version at all because it would be too confusing, so singular "lavae" as well.

And for those thinking nobody will care about the pets... The lavae is more useful than chester, and don't people put chester on quite the pedestal already?

The bird changes I can understand, but we did that already and it sucked. There's more feedback now, sure, but to make this really usable you'd need to adjust the way hunger works inside the bird cage. I think the suggestion I liked the best was having a feeder attached to it, that you could store some number of seeds in. (just make it so that giving seeds to the cage puts it in the feeder instead, and the bird will try to eat from it whenever its hunger is less than half). This way if you play like now, it works exactly the same, but you can also provide for longer absences by stocking up seeds in the cage.

As for birds no longer accepting cooked/dried monster meat... I don't see the reason for this. As Flare reminded me, honey is the best endgame food (I often play carnivorous characters so it's not an option for them, but honey ham is). So basically you've just removed one of the food options, and not even the best one. I'm wondering if maybe this change was accidental, given that the way that it accepts/rejects was rewritten to use a rejection lookup table? Speaking of which, "egg" is in that table, but doesn't exist as a prefab.

Although I have yet to try playing a world where I use them, I'd guess the scaled tiles recipe should probably give you more tiles, even as many as 10. It takes a lot of turf to cover a pretty small area. I'm really happy they've been added, though, this was the Dragonfly craftable we've all been waiting for :)

People complaining about starving birds...If the bird dies, just...just capture another one, right ?

yes please!

I mean.. Do people use the bird ALL the time? 

You've like 20+ seeds in fridge. Make a trap and seed and youll have a bird in 1 min.

People are really good when it comes complaining about small things, that actually don't break the game at all.

The complain about MM, I can understand that.

Awesome, so do you expect people now to use normal meats to make eggs? Its easier to make meaty stew then. And what do you expect us to do with all of this monster meat from hounds? Let rot? Come up with more retarded changes week before jun 3 so you can have your game as buggy as possible!   And also, you are turning don't starve into pet game. No one is going to give a duck about these pointless pets.
 While I do agree with what you're saying, you're just being mean ;)

Hey! I suggested scaled tiles! Now I'm cool!
yes, you are.

I think the suggestion I liked the best was having a feeder attached to it, that you could store some number of seeds in. (just make it so that giving seeds to the cage puts it in the feeder instead, and the bird will try to eat from it whenever its hunger is less than half).
darn. Was about to suggest that. Rezecib and his knowledge of all things DST beat me again....

Anyway, what's really the point of this Lavae pet thing? And the scaled floor too. I won't be getting much time to play, so I'd like to know if those are really relevant and worth the time killing the Dragonfly.

Anyway, what's really the point of this Lavae pet thing? And the scaled floor too. I won't be getting much time to play, so I'd like to know if those are really relevant and worth the time killing the Dragonfly.

Apparently, this lavae thing acts like a heat source and needs charcoal and ash I think. It hatches like a small bird, but always needs to be near a fire when the hatching process starts.  I think it follows whoever holds a lavae tooth and it has 250 hp with 20 attack.

The only problem I have with it is that it seems to have a 33% drop chance. Sure, I will go fight the strongest creature in the game for a poor chance of having a resource consuming pet. 

The scale floor looks good, but I can't see a reason to make it until you had an ample amount of scale mails and scale chests.

And for those thinking nobody will care about the pets... The lavae is more useful than chester, and don't people put chester on quite the pedestal already?

I'm honestly curious why you feel that the lavae is more useful than Chester?

He's a mobile heat source / cooking fire that consumes ash, yes?  I don't have a lavae of my own yet, so I'm unsure if he actually catches things on fire or you have to do it yourself to gather the ash?

Does he count as a light source as well?

Lavae has more tricks up his sleeve than Chester, but Chester is 100% hassle free with no hunger. Plus, he trivializes Mac Tusk fights since he is such a tank. At least the death of a Smallbird is just an annoyance, I don't have to kill the flying godzilla to get another.

Do you happen to have repro steps for that specific crash?

I'm not sure how to reproduce the bug. There is ~15 online on my wilderness pvp server, and newbies die very often. All I have is log file.

Tell me what and how to check and I'll do that.

Archived