Game Update 137410 - 5/25/2015

it still has a use other than being eaten by webber, rotting, or getting guano from the bird

So let me get this straight: feeding cooked monster meat to the bird will yield small guano poop? If yes, I'm ok with the change, I'll just use the guano on the dragonfruit farm. If boneshards would be renewable I'd just stock up on bucket of poops (...if guano could be used in the recipe besides normal poop).

I agree with a few of the posts here.  I am not thrilled with the direction this game is going. It frustrating when you make meat on drying racks spoil and then birds in cages have to be fed and now they will not eat monster meat.  If I had to guess I would say the Burgermeister Meisterburger just got hired as the creative director.  How about you stop taking stuff away and start adding stuff and that stupid dragonfly nobody cares about doesn't count.  Please people don't mention stuff like feeding monster meat to the pig to make a warepig because lord knows the next patch will take that away. 

This is getting really old really fast klei and you'll lose me as a gamer if you keep going this direction.

You need to balance your game, not turn stuff off because that just looks like you're being lazy. We want MORE game not LESS things. I get monster meat + birds is maybe op but it is because of the recipe of bacon and eggs not the fact that you have a source of easy eggs. 

My take? You wanna balance the game more? Stop taking away game mechanics and start fixing stuff like Monster Meat + 3 Ice = Meatballs

Am...I missing something? Last I checked, MM could be used in a variety of crockpot recepies as a replacement for meat, as long as you didn't use more than one piece of it, so it's not suddenly useless. Even if it's piling up, you can let it rot, then use the the rot as fertilizer to accelerate your crop growth. As far as feeding birds, it's only added one step, hasn't it?
If you find it hard to keep a bird alive, set up somewhere with a likely conflict between pigmen and other mobs. Better yet, set up in an area with birdtrap supplies and make it a cannibal, or catch a new bird when you need one. Birds seem to fly into traps pretty often even without bait, and Krampus isn't a very difficult fight when you have multiple people.

The only way I can see this really being inconvenient is if you're on a long travel through caves, and...well, what caves?

its not really the bird hunger issue thats the problem like most people have said its more based on the meat aspect

for me i dont care about the birds hunger i kinda dislike that it turns seeds into guano just cause i wanna renew the seeds but that is just me

i guess this is the developers way of saying find a differnt source of survival

You dont know how fast I made an account just to save this thread and these gaming decisions

KLEI! Any time you make the game more challenging, I admire you. I admire you!   These non-thinkers spit at the thought and dont ever think for a second about how they personally have dropped all interest in a game after it has become beaten. Bugs me so much that people are more intrigued by success than by detour

I love the fact that birds sleep at night because it means you have to be "good" in other directions in case you FORGET to make meat in the daytime.

I love the fact that birds dont eat monster meat because the first time I DID find out they ate mosnter meat I thought it was so foolish to spend time doing anything else.

I love the fact that birds dont eat monster meat because I didnt imagine them to and it causes a huge importance on pigs. Were pig conversion, and huge Pig villages.

I love the fact that birds die from hunger because it means you dont-NOT have to constantly have bird traps on the ground. I repeat I have always wanted something like a constant use for bird traps and the thought of an invincible never-starving bird didnt sit right in my stomach.

Please, adapt or be frustrated that you're failing the game

About birdcage update!! PLease read before doing any comment.

Hello guys.. I just wanna say a thing about these feeding obligation of birdcages. I am not complaining about a thing and i am playing this game for a veeeery long time guys and I do not have much idea about the other people who comments about this change but, let me explain something..

In all of my game in sinle player RoG, I have a gigantic ruin base and I always take a bird to the ruins for using monster meat with maximum efficiency. SInce Depths Worm attacks periodically you have a lot of monster meat and u were having a chance to convert them into eggs. Now, because birds do starve and sleep at night (or dark cuz they do sleep in single player in ruins all the time if I remember correctly), so not only converting monster meat to eggs is impossible, but also converting any kind of meat to eggs is impossible since he will be sleeping all the time. And also because he will be starving, whenever u will go to the ruins, you will find ur birdcage empty which really destroys the usage of birdcage in ruins.. If you wanna keep that game mechanics which is about bird starvation and sleeping bird which does not accept food, please balance it according to ruins so he can be kept in ruins too...

Its not my problem if you want to skimp out on pigs because you "just didnt care for them" in your base

But its my problem if theres game advancement and you're not on par with it and you retard the game progression because you dont want to utilize all aspects of the game

Its not my problem if you want to skimp out on pigs because you "just didnt care for them" in your base

But its my problem if theres game advancement and you're not on par with it and you retard the game progression because you dont want to utilize all aspects of the game

To the newbies who does not have any idea about the game.

To gather material such as tons of beard, nightmare fuel for decades, to have a special chest to organize and plan what to craft from Ancient Pseudoscience Station, slowly and gradually, you should have a camp there too. Since this is a sandbox game, player must have opportunity to settle down anywhere that he wants which must be none of other players concern. I do not care you to settle down near beefalos everytime because you are a newbie, but I wanna settle down to cooler areas such as desert, swamps, ruins, caves to gather other things that cannot be found in other places. Also there is no such a thing or rule that ruins are not supposed to be feasible for camping, I am sure the person have not been to ruins yet or not have any idea at all. There are bunch of safe areas in ruins to stay for days if have food, light and enough sanity u can leave your character there and nothing is going to attack you. That newbie can escape from ruins everytime without coming up with cool ideas...

To sum up, there should be a ruins version of this bird to be caught or it is going to be a trouble for a person who travels to surface and ruins base.. I do not really care about feeding it its not a problem for me, although i find it a bit nonsense rather than a challenge. Because it does not really make the game hard like dragonfly fights but this is just annoying.

Another down side of this thing is, if you do not have any seed for winter (especially first winter) and you forgot to feed ur bird or if u are far away from camp for a long time for exploring in winter time, once you return, you have no bird till spring. These things also must be though if you really wanna keep this change.

And yeah, This sleeping update in ruins if u have a base there they will always sleep too. Keep all of them in mind. At least they should wake up in nightmare cycle (if they do not wake up which i dont remember cuz in old version whenever they are fed they were giving u what u want so i did not care this detail that much.)

Another down side of this thing is, if you do not have any seed for winter (especially first winter) and you forgot to feed ur bird or if u are far away from camp for a long time for exploring in winter time, once you return, you have no bird till spring. These things also must be though if you really wanna keep this change.

What I was trying to say is, if he dies, you need a bait to catch a new bird so if u dont have any seed to use as a bait, it takes ages to get a new bird to get caught by your trap. So this will cause you to have bunch of useless monster meat in winter which cannot be converted to eggs.. So will we use them as rot?

Ok some of these changes especially in light of real problems are a little on the annoying side. I spend quite a bit of time teaching people how to play this game and it is already difficult enough in a server environment for these newer players without making "pointless" changes. 

The Bird Starving, + no Eggs pretty much renders the bird cage pointless. That isn't adding challenge that is just a useless change period. The only character something like this really punishes is a character like Wigfrid who relies on meat dishes. Even then all it does is force her to make tons of meat balls or Stew instead of efficiently using eggs. I'm all for adding challenge to the game, I've got multiple games where I've gone 1000+ days. However there are real problems in the multiplayer environment that need to be fixed. Here are a few things that honestly overwhelmingly trump this silly change;

The default code on servers that essentially allows people to ghost grief. This meaning two things; 1) That ghost sanity drain is global still, 2) that ghosts can set anything on fire or destroy objects. This in a non PVP server setting needs to be eliminated as it serves zero purpose outside griefing. Ghost Sanity drain should be an Aura around the ghost only and shouldn't impact players on the other side of the map.

The Portal not providing a safe place for players joining the server. It really wouldn't be that difficult to code those portals to apply a heat/cool/light aura around it for the first 2-3 days of a player joining. Basically as it stands most decent players will get as far from the portal as possible during winter/summer because we don't expect anyone to join. However if they do a reasonable amount of time to get to them and bring them to camp safely would be appreciated. As it stands they join on that die and die in a few minutes and then become the ghost problem which still needs fixing.

These are just a couple of the problems that really stand out that I find it hard to believe aren't being addressed over "players can make eggs". It just doesn't make a bit of sense from any perspective. It doesn't impact players like me who can survive without a bird cage with ease and it heavily negatively impacts newer players. I know I sound like a broken record here, but this is really a terrible series of changes that serve no purpose other than to render the bird cage completely useless.

After this update, the pengulls never come back. I then opened a new game, they appear as normal. So I think it is a problem of messing around the old save game and new version. I love those pengulls, they are cute.

What if birds could only be fed with fruit and seeds (no meat), and they produced eggs periodically (so you just harvest them when there are some), that would probably solve the bird inbalance, and also add some potential on having more than one cage to farm eggs from.

Anyways, i liked the idea of having a feeder attached to the cage, i usually end up with hundreds of seeds i cannot really use.

Archived