Fireside Chats (with a video game designer) - February 24, 2015 - Roadmap Updates, RoG and PAX

Maxwell appears to have the obvious PvP problem with his starting equipment
 I had More DST and DST RoG characters on my PvP server that ran for a while, and it actually worked out pretty well. Maxwell's strong starting equipment gives him a very strong early game, but at that point people can just run away. Since he only has 75 health, and fire cuts through armor, he gets taken down very easily by fire darts, which are not tough to craft if you manage to get away for a few days. He's also very bad at holding onto his advantage, because his equipment only lasts so long and it's very difficult to maintain a base with a shadow manipulator to make replacements. Wolfgang does much better at staying on top once he's got a good situation, for example.

Wes and Maxwell

On Lore

So we know that The events of DST are after single-player adventure mode... so... Wes was freed with little to no animosity from other characters... they saved him after all... but then that left Maxwell, If he were to suddenly appear in front of Wilson, what would happen?

O____O

I would personally love to see a cinematic short while playing the new DLC with both Wes and Maxwell in it, showing how they would work together, explaining how this issue will be resolved in the process... but now we would need a new "antagonist" or at least an event...

Charlie... I assume the next step would be to free Charlie... but of course I wouldn't expect Maxwell to be easily forgiven though... that's up to the devs...

On balance

I'll make this quick: Wes should at least have his attack bumped up to normal damage, and reduce the hunger consumption; alternatively, just make his balloon animals more distracting towards mobs and sanity penalty for creating one be reduced...

So it's either the character stat adjustment or the perk re-balance.

That should appease most people I guess... I know I would because I loved playing him in RoG, the balloons were nice but they didn't do their job as often as possible so they ended up just as decoration...

Also, I would love to see the 5000 balloons popping around a Deerclops and killing it... (will be hell for the server but a pretty awesome sight none the less)

• Developer

I assume Webber and Wigfrid are coming with the RoG development, and Woodie appears to be a design nightmare and will take a while, but what about Wes and Maxwell?

Yep, Webber and Wigfrid will come with RoG. Woodie is still a ways out: gotta sort out the local lighting thing (which we're doing for the Moggles as well) and almost definitely redesign his qualities a bit. We're still not sure how we're going to handle Wes and Maxwell: they were both unlockable (through adventure mode) in DS and we haven't quite figured out how that maps onto DST. We'll let you know when we do!

I am so excited for Don't Starve Together to get Reign of Giants!! There will be so much more to do! I'm also glad to hear that there are plans to eventually add caves in somehow, that also opens up a whole lot more to do!! =D

OMG I wonder what the special bonus for RoG buyers will be?! Maybe a new character? or an exclusive emote? ;D

I am so excited for Don't Starve Together to get Reign of Giants!! There will be so much more to do! I'm also glad to hear that there are plans to eventually add caves in somehow, that also opens up a whole lot more to do!! =D

OMG I wonder what the special bonus for RoG buyers will be?! Maybe a new character? or an exclusive emote? ;D

Ok, someone give this guy a medal. We want an exclusive emote! (or at least just me :p :P :p)

Would be awesome if WX-78 had an alternate skin based on the exclusive WX Overdrive figure that ESC Toy made, though really I'll be happy with anything. Alternate skins is super exciting, period. :grin:

Woodie wearing a Canadian Flag-esque maple leaf sweater... Okay no more from me I'm done. I'm leaving! Sorryyyyyyyyyy!~

Iron Giant-esque WX. That is what I want to see. like_thumbs_up.png

I'm excited for the RoG, never actually played it before, my friend tried a mod on our server, but it did, well, nothing, so I'm looking forward to the update :D (Also I wonder what Willow's "multiplayer-friendly former glory" is, a partial/total re-boost or something completely new?)

Woodie is still a ways out: gotta sort out the local lighting thing (which we're doing for the Moggles as well) and almost definitely redesign his qualities a bit. 

meep I was wondering if this was going to happen, since beaverbutt has a lot of potential to do a lot of damage just like willow...

im scared for change ahhhh

stoked about all the upcoming content though! 

I think from what I heard, that they're giving RoG owners the ability to make RoG worlds, and the ability to choose of Wigfrid and Webber as a character. 

Everyone that owns Don’t Starve Together will be able to host and join servers with Reign of Giants content. Everyone that owns Don’t Starve Together will be able to play as both Wigfrid and Webber, but folks who own Reign of Giants will be getting something extra as a thanks-for-buying a little ways down the line.

@LeChuck, Hmm, no, I don't think that was mentioned here at all. If I remember correctly, the last we heard about that is that they plan to add something like adventure mode, but not exactly adventure mode in its single-player form. Maybe we can get an update on the next stream!

Edit: Asked, nothing changed on that front, so they're still thinking of adding something generally like adventure mode, but probably not an exact port of single-player's.

@LeChuck, Hmm, no, I don't think that was mentioned here at all. If I remember correctly, the last we heard about that is that they plan to add something like adventure mode, but not exactly adventure mode in its single-player form. Maybe we can get an update on the next stream!

Yep, Webber and Wigfrid will come with RoG. Woodie is still a ways out: gotta sort out the local lighting thing (which we're doing for the Moggles as well) and almost definitely redesign his qualities a bit. We're still not sure how we're going to handle Wes and Maxwell: they were both unlockable (through adventure mode) in DS and we haven't quite figured out how that maps onto DST. We'll let you know when we do!

They don't know yet.

Seriously, are we to assume Maxwell and Wes are fighting behind the portal or something?

Because if they're fighting, they're probably in a boxing ring with mobs all around Maxwell's side and Balloon animals around Wes' side.

Meanwhile behind the portal:

I think those changes are really good, but at the same time my heart is broken now. :c I really love Willow, i agree with the decision for the lighter, but when i've seen her like 2 years ago i felt in love with her "power". I was thinking about it in these days, and i know about the thing that there are so many (i will call them like this but is not that much offensive) Trollow (troll-willows) and they some time ruin the game with their fires, but ehi without any problem it wouldn't be fun!

I play the beta (of don't starve not only DST) since the first time i've seen the game, and this is an huge work, i've seen the game become every day better and original; but for real when i've saw that update i was going to cry, for me they are in this world for pay, (what?) their power and wishes, so for me now.. Willow why is here? What was her wish/power? She was immune by the fire and this for me was very " realistic" I mean -Hei she's here because Maxwell have gave her the immunity, and now she have to survive for "pay"- for me was this why i loved her (and why she is very very like me in the personality). Ok i just wanted to say what i was thinking, Sorry if is a very long post, (and my english suck some time) but my little heart is broken and i wanted to say it to you.

Good work guys!

I had an idea for the whole "client only light": If a character has night vision, then a black object covers other players (who have no night vision) in darkness. Thus, the players without night vision still cannot see the player who HAS night vision, and the player who HAS night vision can see everything but the player who does not have it. Fool proof? Maybe. I don't know. Hopefully.

post-350545-0-70835400-1425007203_thumb.

I think those changes are really good, but at the same time my heart is broken now. :c I really love Willow, i agree with the decision for the lighter, but when i've seen her like 2 years ago i felt in love with her "power". I was thinking about it in these days, and i know about the thing that there are so many (i will call them like this but is not that much offensive) Trollow (troll-willows) and they some time ruin the game with their fires, but ehi without any problem it wouldn't be fun!

I play the beta (of don't starve not only DST) since the first time i've seen the game, and this is an huge work, i've seen the game become every day better and original; but for real when i've saw that update i was going to cry, for me they are in this world for pay, (what?) their power and wishes, so for me now.. Willow why is here? What was her wish/power? She was immune by the fire and this for me was very " realistic" I mean -Hei she's here because Maxwell have gave her the immunity, and now she have to survive for "pay"- for me was this why i loved her (and why she is very very like me in the personality). Ok i just wanted to say what i was thinking, Sorry if is a very long post, (and my english suck some time) but my little heart is broken and i wanted to say it to you.

Good work guys!

I'm sure someone will feel the same and make a mod about it.

I had an idea for the whole "client only light": If a character has night vision, then a black object covers other players (who have no night vision) in darkness. Thus, the players without night vision still cannot see the player who HAS night vision, and the player who HAS night vision can see everything but the player who does not have it.

Well, I saw the other day a mod for DS that when you were insane, you were black, like a shadow, like when you spawn. So if would be great to see other no nightvision characters as black silhouettes, jumping if they take damage from Charlie.

Archived