Day 100+ hound to crazy!

I personally wish this game was harder

Everyone seems to get at past at least Day 50 and I can hardly get past 5. I mean I got to Day 10 like once.

I wish this game had difficulty settings you know like you can go on Easy, Medium, Hard or Expert, but maybe that would ruin it?

Anyway the point I was trying to make is I personally DON'T want this game to be harder.

Everyone seems to get at past at least Day 50 and I can hardly get past 5. I mean I got to Day 10 like once.

I wish this game had difficulty settings you know like you can go on Easy, Medium, Hard or Expert, but maybe that would ruin it?

Anyway the point I was trying to make is I personally DON'T want this game to be harder.

I have the impression that, despite the loudness of certain beta players on these forums (fora?) the devs are aware that their target audience is people who have not already played the game extensively. It seems to me that they want the game to be enjoyable for a variety of skill levels and frustration tolerances, and that means some sort of difficulty variation. I am a fairly low-skill player, but by listening carefully to the expert players here, learning about the threats and how to tackle them, and planning carefully (and using LOTS of effigies!) I've survived past day 200, and I'm doing fairly well, at the moment (although currently waiting for the beard to grow... again... At this point, what usually gets me is when a new enemy joins a fight at dusk, or I make a dumb mistake. Fortunately, my base is extremely safe and I just don't go out when I'm down to my last effigy.

Kiting is often necessary, but timing monsters' attacks is not. You can use traps, other monsters, animals, or if necessary, fire, and need not fight... Although some direct offense sometimes yields better rewards, and with the new spider life cycle, it does pay to be agressive toward the nests! :)

Here's what I do: make a big pile of dropped monster meat in an area without any plants. Keep it close to your base, but not right next to it. When the hounds come, you can pick them off easy without even taking damage. The only thing that'll hurt you is the flame hound's death explosion, but that's not much. I once had to take out seven hounds with a torch, and still made it.

You are not "supposed" to survive that long or rather the expected lifetime is around 200~ days. It's designed so that Sooner or later you are going to die, it's just a matter of when.

I hate it when games take that attitude. If I'm going to die no matter what, then why bother playing? We should be rewarded for surviving longer, not punished and get told we have to start over no matter how good we are.

You are not "supposed" to survive that long or rather the expected lifetime is around 200~ days. It's designed so that Sooner or later you are going to die, it's just a matter of when.

I hate it when games take that attitude. If I'm going to die no matter what, then why bother playing? We should be rewarded for surviving longer, not punished and get told we have to start over no matter how good we are.
Because its fun. Not every game should have to give you baby steps until your good enough at day 250 to fight off a few hounds , even if your dying at day 250 because of hounds you obviously don't know what your doing enough to be AT day 250 in the first place. If you got rewarded for surviving longer , the game would just get easier the longer you play , which would deplete the whole reason of this game to crumbs. If you really think a game should get easier the longer you play it , go play an MMO or Minecraft , which gets easier and easier the longer you play. If you really want to make a better game , learn code and make one , you can make it as easier or hard as you want.

Because its fun. Not every game should have to give you baby steps until your good enough at day 250 to fight off a few hounds , even if your dying at day 250 because of hounds you obviously don't know what your doing enough to be AT day 250 in the first place. If you got rewarded for surviving longer , the game would just get easier the longer you play , which would deplete the whole reason of this game to crumbs. If you really think a game should get easier the longer you play it , go play an MMO or Minecraft , which gets easier and easier the longer you play. If you really want to make a better game , learn code and make one , you can make it as easier or hard as you want.

Quoted for truth. If you're having trouble with hounds at day 201 that is fine, but being overwhelmed or allowing the Red hounds to set your camp on fire is just a) lack of preparation, b) not utilizing weapons and items the game gives you to deal with them, c) stupidity for doing the same thing over and over, or d) a combination of the former. The furthest I've survived is 365 days, before I reset from boredom. I am by no means some pro, in fact the opposite, as on my current play-through (day 106) I've used at least 2 effigies due to carelessness around tallbirds, spiders, etc. But the AI of most mobs in the game are very predictable, and if you haven't found ways to deal with them after 200 days, then you deserve to die from them, honestly. This is a survival game. The point is surviving. So it should get progressively harder, not turn into a farming simulator.

nah, i think the more u survived the harder it gets, if u get pass day 200+ u shouldn't even die with all the effigy that ppl make.....then again there will be more update so the game will probably be a little more balance for player who are not experienced yet......i find it easy now that i can't even die anymore, but that is just my opinion...not saying that you r wrong or anything =3

Whatever. I'm still right about the difficulty curve.

Maybe , but the point i was trying to get out is being rewarded for living longer only makes the game easier to play , and we already have a reward for surviving longer : XP that unlocks characters (there are about 10 new characters to be released)

I have reopened this thread after a bit of editing.Please keep it clean, respectful and polite or this thread will be closed permanently and the disruptive parties DEALT with.

Edited by LadyD

I would like to add that Tooth Traps are bugged: when you zone in, they will not work. You need to pick them up and place them over again.That might clear up some of the confusion!

hope they fix it in the next update ;p

Personally the crazy amount of hounds sounds fine to me but perhaps something should be added so one cannot burn up all of the world's grassthere needs to be some sort of grass spawn trigger like if X% of grass percentage is gone (not just harvested) then X amount of new clumps will spawn

Edited by stormfront

Log suits, Football helmets, and tooth traps. Fight in an open area away from your flammable resources, set up a fire pit where you plan to fight them in case they come at night. I agree with most the posts on this thread about the game not being difficult enough though. You will probably see that too if you start setting up enough tooth traps and put meat next them. This is a beta and we are supposed to be testing things like this. So if you feel like you are surviving with no chance of death, go out and explore your world. Already explored it all? Generate a new one, try to find exploits in the game and then report them. Live as a nomad without a permanent camp and see how long you survive. The developers already know the end game is far too easy, they have already released a little information on how they plan to increase the difficulty.

Right there is nothing to do in game after 50 days. After that time i had explored whole map, and build good base, there was nothing more to explore, and things that happen in game are the same.

They will add more things to the game Soon.

Game needs more stuff for late game, and a lot of new weapons/magic, some random events changing the world.

Worlds could be bigger, they are too small for me right now.

Game will change, but still not sure if it will be worth trying to survive for 300+ days, cause after i unlock everything and explore whole world i get bored, sitting in base is not what i like to do most of the time, and that is current late game.

Personally the crazy amount of hounds sounds fine to me but perhaps something should be added so one cannot burn up all of the world's grassthere needs to be some sort of grass spawn trigger like if X% of grass percentage is gone (not just harvested) then X amount of new clumps will spawn

Why? Sounds perfectly logical to me that there is ways to exhaust all the resources if you play badly, if you let the dogs burn all the grass it's your fault and you lost the game, now start over. I hope they do not listen to you and end up not punishing mistakes.

My hounds killing pit set up. Just drop meat on the ground to bait them.[ATTACH=CONFIG]2208[/ATTACH]It's even easier at my main camp since I live near beefalos, when I'm tired of killing them, I lead them into the beefs and watch.

only 4 traps?post-6125-13764590501125_thumb.jpg