Easy Bird/Seed Farming OP?

Zarwaz

I haven't seen anyone else post anything about this so I thought I would.

post-5792-13764589716695_thumb.jpg

So, if you couldn't tell by the picture it is really easy to farm birds/seeds. All you have to do is place seeds on the ground and stand on them. Birds will try and take the seeds around every 5-15 seconds, but since your near them they will instantly fly away leaving the seeds behind. If your fast you can kill them before they do by spam clicking your character's feet. Since the bird touched the ground, they also have a chance of dropping more seeds on the ground. In the picture, I did this method for less than half the day and got around 15 morsels. I also picked up 9 additional seeds.

Personally, I think this is OP and birds should be tweaked to not land within melee distance of your character. What do you guys think?

Most of the posts on the board right now are about how exploitable farming is, unless I'm mistaken.

Well, I'm not talking about farming in the case of crops. I did do a quick search and nothing came up for me so oh well. In any case, a dev has seen it and it will be fixed.

Well, I'm not talking about farming in the case of crops. I did do a quick search and nothing came up for me so oh well. In any case, a dev has seen it and it will be fixed.

I don't know how you managed this. The first hour of the game I kept trying to catch birds while they're eating seeds to kill them and it didn't work.

You're either lucky or dedicated or both.

Since the thread's here, I'd like to ask a question

when you drop a caught bird from your inventory, they drop belly-up for a moment before flying away.

Is this the only intended use for them? Why not just allow me to kill them right from the trap?

1. So you can put them in the birdcage 2. Some think it has something to do with Krampus, putting them on the ground and killing them being more naughty and so on.

It's not naughty, it's survival

That bird knew what he was getting into when he flew into my territory.

Its so hard to summon Krampus these days we need more ways to be naughty xD

This at least gives us a way to summon him >:D

I still need his sack, about 8 Krampi later :( and around 150 rabbits

I'm surprised stealing Tallbird Eggs isn't 'naughty', tbh. You'd think stealing an unhatched egg from its mother would be just as naughty as outright killing a smallbird.

post-5548-13764589719846_thumb.jpg

I finally got this damn sack. I had to kill 249 birds, judging by the number of morsels I accumulated. Probably more since I ate several of them to relieve hunger. And who knows how many Krampi, I didn't count them. They almost always came in pairs since I'm past day 100. I never saw 3 of them at once however, like I did before the hotfix.

I only used bird traps though, not the method described in the OP. I had a lot of spider silk stored, and by putting 4 traps simultaneously (each of them with a seed as bait) I had a constant flow of victims going on.

Getting seeds is a bit too easy in general, one of the reasons why farming is basically the only foodsource you're going to need in the current state of the game. I noticed that by just hanging around my camp I get something like 7-8 seeds a day just from birds landing near me and then flying away, of course this number goes up even more if I don't pick up said seeds.

Birds spawning rate and/or seed dropping rate should be tweaked a bit, I think.

I was actually going to post a separate thread about this, but I might as well post it here in less words: Seeds are too common. I have too many seeds, and if I don't use seeds to bait traps or for farms, I can eat the seeds. Food for ages. It needs to be nerfed.

I was actually going to post a separate thread about this, but I might as well post it here in less words: Seeds are too common. I have too many seeds, and if I don't use seeds to bait traps or for farms, I can eat the seeds. Food for ages. It needs to be nerfed.

agreed! i just hatch my tallbird eggs and run around my camp for seeds. :twisted: