Tactics agains Treeguard

Hey folks,

so i am playing Dont starve and i really lasted for 12 days now, which is okay for my second try i guess. But now i am facing a treeguard in my save. Since i would like to last some more days, i would like to ask for a nice tactic against it.

I tryed with a torch and my spear but apparently that wont do much. So what can i do?

I allready have 8 fast farms a bunch of berrytrees, and other colletctingstuff. So i would like to keep all these.

Hope to find some help.

Kind regards

Alex

ok what i find that works best is this

run into the range where it will attack you, run out of range and it will miss, tehn you run back in range whack it once and back out. rinse and repeat untill dead. wear a log armor if you feel you cant dodge its hits well, unarmored you can survive only one hit without healing.

another technique is to plant trees around it, this causes the treeguard to revert into a docile tree like state, where you can then BURN IT!!!!!! By setting the trees you planted next to it on fire. the downside to this is that fires get out of control easy and you might accidentally burn everything.

Hit it with a spear. I tried using an Axe but it didnt seem any quicker. Run in, hit it 3 or 4 times quickly then back out before it attacks. Rinse and repeat. I had no idea you could plant trees to make it docile again. Is there any truth to this?

"the Treeguard has a chance to return to sleep if the player plants Pinecones (per-pinecone, there is a 33% chance when close. As distance increases, the chance will drop to 15% and then 0%)" http://dontstarvewiki.net/index.php/Treeguard someone probably got that from the game code.

Seriously don't even bother doing this since you pretty much can't touch any of the surrounding trees without going aggro again. Just kill him the first time.

Edited by Nxf7

yeah i tried making a little tree wall thing to try to keep it from running after me forever and it turned back into a tree, so i did what any normal pyromaniac would do and burned an entire forest to the ground.

I find it amusing that Willow is named after a tree.

Heheh, 1 thing i tend to do is just lure it to a swamp and get it to figh tas many tentacles as possible. Afther fighting off about 6, it will die.

This.

And this.

The loot that the treeguard drops is not that good, so I would suggest taking the friendly route. Plant lots of acorns when he spawns and he will go to sleep and walk around at times, he even makes for a decent ally against hounds.

Hey folks,

so i am playing Dont starve and i really lasted for 12 days now, which is okay for my second try i guess. But now i am facing a treeguard in my save. Since i would like to last some more days, i would like to ask for a nice tactic against it.

I tryed with a torch and my spear but apparently that wont do much. So what can i do?

I allready have 8 fast farms a bunch of berrytrees, and other colletctingstuff. So i would like to keep all these.

Hope to find some help.

Kind regards

Alex

To answer your question:

The best strategy would be to plant a lot of acorns so that it becomes your ally until you do something to piss it off, because that way it will help you if you need it. (it can take an entire army of 8 pigs out, i know i tried.).

But if you want to kill it i suggest you use a torch, and i don't mean attack it with the torch. You got to click the torch so you can drop it and then "drop" it on the nearby trees to start a forest fire (or on him i didnt have the balls to do that though), that way you will kil him rather quickly. So the term "kill it with fire and holy water" kicks in. Except the last bit. :D

Glad i could help.

If you want to try killing it with a spear/spike stick, it has a rhythm that's pretty easy to follow. Between its swings, there's an opening in which you can safely hit it about 3 times before it attacks again. So get it to swing its big piney arms, immediately run in after it completes its attack, hit it about 3 times, and quickly run back out right as it's about to strike. Just repeat that until it dies.

I use pigmen for everything. Want some silk? Get some pigmen, smack the nest once and let them do the work. Same for everything really. Haven't tried it with a Tallbird yet though. They are really good for wood. I've also discovered that if you go back to their home with them before nightfall they stay with you an extra day! Don't know if this is a new bonus to the patch but I'm not complaining.

If you want to try killing it with a spear/spike stick, it has a rhythm that's pretty easy to follow. Between its swings, there's an opening in which you can safely hit it about 3 times before it attacks again. So get it to swing its big piney arms, immediately run in after it completes its attack, hit it about 3 times, and quickly run back out right as it's about to strike. Just repeat that until it dies.

Yes this method is perfect and you should kill him within seconds.

Plus when you put Treeguard on fire, you will loose his dropped Logs.

hey folks,

thank you very much for those many and allso very diverse hints! Is there any way to save my savegame into an extra folder so i can retry if i die? I know that this game is pretty much about diing and trying it again but i want to last until day 20, that is my goal :)

Edit: Hey apparently if you save and exit and restart he game the omnsters arent angry at you any more. The treegurad is just walking around my campfire protecting me against any evil that might want to attack me. I just added a screenshot so you can see my progress and maybe understand why i want to keep it :)

post-5235-1376458963983_thumb.jpg

Greetings

Alex

Edited by AdmirAlex

I absolutely HATE treeguards , the reason that puts me off from cutting any tree , It is putting me off from playing the game sinse I couldn't be bothered after losing my meat effigy to continue going , They are probably my Least favorite addition to the game , even worse than krampus , because they show up out of nowhere and ruin my life...

I wish treeguards had a faster attack animation so you couldn't cheese them to death for free logs. These guys should be terrifying.

If they made them any stronger , they would be overpowered and mean that you have to have pinecones at all times unless you die or put them to sleep. The whole point is for them to be slow so you won't have to be irritated , if they made them any stronger I probably wouldn't play.

hey folks,

thank you very much for those many and allso very diverse hints! Is there any way to save my savegame into an extra folder so i can retry if i die? I know that this game is pretty much about diing and trying it again but i want to last until day 20, that is my goal :)

Edit: Hey apparently if you save and exit and restart he game the omnsters arent angry at you any more. The treegurad is just walking around my campfire protecting me against any evil that might want to attack me. I just added a screenshot so you can see my progress and maybe understand why i want to keep it :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]830[/ATTACH]

Greetings

Alex

you stupid man use turbo plots not regular ones!

If they made them any stronger , they would be overpowered and mean that you have to have pinecones at all times unless you die or put them to sleep. The whole point is for them to be slow so you won't have to be irritated , if they made them any stronger I probably wouldn't play.

You could also respond with what I suspect was the intended player reaction: Run!

I'm sure there are problems with making treeguards actually theatening, but the minor annoyance they are right now is just no good.