New Pictures In The Game Files

If I haven't already stated it, then it seems Klei's not even trying anymore to stick with the formula that got them this far. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if micro-transactions were added into the game to "broaden the appeal"

Slippery slope fallacy. A character who may not be added at all, or as a mod, does not mean that microtransactions will be added. Those are completely different things, nor would microtransactions fit with this style of game (in a different way to Pyro not fitting, which, frankly, I'm fine with them not fitting if it's in a mod).

Slippery slope fallacy. A character who may not be added at all, or as a mod, does not mean that microtransactions will be added. Those are completely different things, nor would microtransactions fit with this style of game (in a different way to Pyro not fitting, which, frankly, I'm fine with them not fitting if it's in a mod).

A mostly sarcastic statement considering my opinion on Klei lately.

Meh *shrugs*

I hate saying what so far has been confined to Steam chats with a couple of people, but I just don't understand any of this. I just don't get what Klei are doing here. For what reason are they bringing over a character from a wholly unrelated game, that feels ill-fitting, and is to the general detriment of the game as a whole? It's cheap, it's tacky and has no place in any other gaming universe than its own, with the possible exception of other multiverses, somthing DS certainly isn't. I know this isn't a Multiplayer thread, but come on, how did statements like this change so suddenly?

"Alas, we don't have any plans to introduce multiplayer, co-op, or LAN support for Don't Starve. Aside from it requiring a large amount of work to do it properly and efficiently (resources that we'd rather focus on making more content), we feel pretty strongly that multiplayer and co-op shouldn't be added to every single game.

By design, Don't Starve is really focused on being alone, everything wanting to kill you, and fending for yourself. We feel pretty strongly that having the safety net of other players or even competitive interactions with them, would change the mood of the world a lot.

That's one of the reasons why we opened up community modding for the game; we wanted to make it possible for people to attempt their own run at it. Who knows what the community will come up with down the road!"

Why on earth has this been abandoned? Why have several members involved in this game's development suddenly stopped posting here? Why has this game's philosophy been ripped up? I can't see past money. And it sickens me to say it, but that's all I have to offer.

To address a few of points:

There's nothing to confirm they ARE bringing a character over. It's just speculation from the files right now, which, as shown in the past, is no guarantee.

As said in the post, at the time they thought it couldn't be done, but as said, it now can be.

I hardly see it as money grabbing. Don't forget, this is FREE to all players who already have it. They're raising the price for $5 only to new players. If we look at the peak of players using Don't Starve today, it's around 2000. That's only today, not including the people who own it but haven't played today, nor people using standalone. 2000 x $5 = $10,000. That's quite a lot, not even counting other people who own it. If this WAS money grabbing, they would charge for it. It's not likely to encourage people who wouldn't enjoy it anyway to buy it. Sure, maybe people who thought they might like it before may finally decide on buying it, but I don't think that's going to be enough people to call it money grabbing. I honestly think bringing money into it is a pretty weak argument.

EDIT: Just looked it up. The highest ever consecutive players was 6830. I can't find anywhere that would have the total number of owners of it, but if we assume they would all buy a $5 DLC of multiplayer (which in practice, they wouldn't, but for the sake of argument) that would be $34,150.

EDIT 2: I forgot how to internet and could have just Googled "Don't Starve total sales" all along. Apparently, it's over 1 million. Assuming for the sake of argument everyone brought it at $5, which of course not everyone would, but like I said, for the sake of argument, that would be $5 million dollars. THAT would be a money grab.

To address a few of points:

There's nothing to confirm they ARE bringing a character over. It's just speculation from the files right now, which, as shown in the past, is no guarantee.

As said in the post, at the time they thought it couldn't be done, but as said, it now can be.

I hardly see it as money grabbing. Don't forget, this is FREE to all players who already have it. They're raising the price for $5 only to new players. If we look at the peak of players using Don't Starve today, it's around 2000. That's only today, not including the people who own it but haven't played today, nor people using standalone. 2000 x $5 = $10,000. That's quite a lot, not even counting other people who own it. If this WAS money grabbing, they would charge for it. It's not likely to encourage people who wouldn't enjoy it anyway to buy it. Sure, maybe people who thought they might like it before may finally decide on buying it, but I don't think that's going to be enough people to call it money grabbing. I honestly think bringing money into it is a pretty weak argument.

It's about keeping the sales coming, and to me shows a disregard to much of the community they have already sold the game to. I'm still curious as to the sudden change of heart, especially talking about modders doing it, and then announcing an official MP, just as the modders got close.

As to a few more points:

- It's not a matter of confirmation, it's more that it was even considered enough for art to happen, for reasons I've stated earlier when the Pyro originally popped up.

- They also said it wouldn't fit into the game's atmosphere. What's changed there?

- Free to all of us, but it'll cost anyone else who buys it. It'll cost to anyone who finds the game late, and you can bet that many people will be talked into buying it by friends, and there will no doubt be coverage on YT, Twitch, etcetera that will get more people to buy it. It keeps the sales ticking over, and giving to us free was a well-planned move, winning over some naysayers, and giving others a stick to beat people still anti with. I might be being cynical, but it makes sense.

Woah, if you want to discuss the philosophy of the game, make a new thread. This one is for discussing findings about the pyro/anything else that may pop up in the files, please don't derail it! Also this topic of "kly y u add multi u lie to us u money hogging villains" has been discussed before and I don't believe it leads anywhere, okay?

Woah, if you want to discuss the philosophy of the game, make a new thread. This one is for discussing findings about the pyro/anything else that may pop up in the files, please don't derail it! Also this topic of "kly y u add multi u lie to us u money hogging villains" has been discussed before and I don't believe it leads anywhere, okay?

The Pyro is, in my view, destroying the philosophy of the game. Anyway, this thread was barely on-topic to begin with. And don't be so patronising when a view is against yours. I was slightly more eloquent than saying "kly y u add multi u lie to us u money hogging villains". Just because you happen to believe that your side of the argument is 'better', doesn't give you the right to label the other as drooling morons. I do happen to believe it leads somewhere, and I don't feel I'm actually that off-topic. If anything, my post was more about the Pyro than multiplayer. If anything slightly deviating from the topic is derailing, then it's barely a discussion at all, more a place where people just write observations, and don't directly address each other.

Anyway, my point is more along the lines of that, thanks to their actions so far, in my view, I feel they are now doing these things more with money in their mind than with the game at heart, and that saddens me. Whether you agree or not, that's my (greatly diminished) opinion of Klei, (still better than most games companies though), and it's not liable to change. I don't think they are evil, or villains, and I greatly appreciate their help and co-operation in the Up and Away mod, which is something very few other companies would do, but I don't hold them in quite the same regard. Far too many of the things they have done/have happened recently, it just doesn't seem right.

I'm not necessarily saying that money is the real reason, but from where I'm sitting, it seems the most likely, and I'm not going to be won over by any more brushed-up PR stuff. We used to have more real contact with the devs around here, and now it seems like every post has been quadruple-checked, verified and any hint of anything not perfect removed.

I'm sorry you guys at Klei. You're still great. Just not as great as you were, for me at least.

I'm not necessarily saying that money is the real reason, but from where I'm sitting, it seems the most likely, and I'm not going to be won over by any more brushed-up PR stuff. We used to have more real contact with the devs around here, and now it seems like every post has been quadruple-checked, verified and any hint of anything not perfect removed.

I'm sorry you guys at Klei. You're still great. Just not as great as you were, for me at least.

Get that tin-can to speak more often. That'll solve everything.

Holy heck. How is this topic getting even more stupid? Can't we all just agree that Pyro is awesome, it doesn't matter what the heck they are, we still are not sure if it's a mod or not, Klei are just doing a 1-up for Valve like they should be doing, and leave it at that? 

This is a really bad flame war.

So much reading.

Anyways my two cents is that I don't care. Add him or not, it really won't effect the game that much. Like any character you can choose to ignore him. But the bigger question is (and I'm just curious) will there be more? This is unlikely but will there be a tf2/some else like a bunch of characters from different games dlc pack?

Can't we all just agree that Pyro is awesome

This isn't how a debate works. Not everyone likes the Pyro, and yes, I'm getting off-topic, but I wanted to put out what I mean.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32469-so-pyro-is-one-of-the-new-characters/?hl=%2Bpyro+%2Bfiles

Anyway, that thread above was a proper discussion, so I guess if you want to read why some people were against, read up on that.

This isn't how a debate works. Not everyone likes the Pyro, and yes, I'm getting off-topic, but I wanted to put out what I mean.

Okay, being a bit silly on the pyro is awesome bit, but I think everyone should get what I mean. Whether someone likes Pyro or not is not important. Why people are continuously complaining about klei, the inclusion of pyro as a yet uncertain mod or not, and so on so forth is beyond my thinking. If it gets more people aware of Don't Starve, then in all reality, who the heck cares about the afterthought? There's nothing wrong with a little marketing.

Okay, being a bit silly on the pyro is awesome bit, but I think everyone should get what I mean. Whether someone likes Pyro or not is not important. Why people are continuously complaining about klei, the inclusion of pyro as a yet uncertain mod or not, and so on so forth is beyond my thinking. If it gets more people aware of Don't Starve, then in all reality, who the heck cares about the afterthought? There's nothing wrong with a little marketing.

I don't think you should sacrifice the 'feel' of the game by incorporating cheap, tacky characters from irrelevant gaming universe just to reach those extra few people.

I don't think you should sacrifice the 'feel' of the game by incorporating cheap, tacky characters from irrelevant gaming universe just to reach those extra few people.

Since we still don't know whether Pyro is to be counted as a real character or just a mod, that's debatable....But feel? We barely have any lore or story for Don't Starve to go on, and heck, Klei, if they add Pyro in the....*official roster* in the game without the need for a mod download, could entirely choose to ignore Pyro story wise. If anything they just might put pyro on the roster for ease of access. If klei are going to do this, do it now before we actually start getting decent amount of lore and story, I say, then they can easily sweep pyro under the story rug, and everyone will be....Somewhat happier, I guess.

Holy heck. How is this topic getting even more stupid? Can't we all just agree that Pyro is awesome, it doesn't matter what the heck they are, we still are not sure if it's a mod or not, Klei are just doing a 1-up for Valve like they should be doing, and leave it at that?

It's way more complicated than that, people care for this game and it's original designated purpose(well before MP ), a game that sticks to it's own theme and delivers that lone survival feeling. MP makes it less lonely, but is still set in the DS world we know and love. Then Pyro might be a thing. The sore thumb, the one thing to flip the bird to all the DS world stands for. Wether Pyro is awesome or not, they don't belong in this game universe. Now I kinda stopped caring that much (but so would if this was happening in the past), but people are passionate about DS and all it stands for/brings, and I can understand them disliking/hating even the smallest chance the Pyro makes it in. It is yet another community divider, just like mp.

And sure, Klei might somehow "owe" this to Valve, but let's be honest now: Valve doesn't reallh need the 1-up at all. "We used to make games, now we make money" is a fitting slogan for Valve. Oh Steam community market, I wish I invented you and your ways of making money of customers with 0 effort.

if you guys don't like the pyro then. don't use it. if you don't think it's original... it's okay... you can not play with him if you want...

do you guys really think that just because of the pyro char don't starve will break? that's just wrong.

Since we still don't know whether Pyro is to be counted as a real character or just a mod, that's debatable....But feel? We barely have any lore or story for Don't Starve to go on, and heck, Klei, if they add Pyro in the....*official roster* in the game without the need for a mod download, could entirely choose to ignore Pyro story wise. If anything they just might put pyro on the roster for ease of access. If klei are going to do this, do it now before we actually start getting decent amount of lore and story, I say, then they can easily sweep pyro under the story rug, and everyone will be....Somewhat happier, I guess.

It's nothing to do with lore. The character is ill-fitting, boring, potentially immersion-ruining, and just plain bad. It wouldn't fit into the story, without some kind of ridiculous TF2/DS crossover. Also, sweeping something under the rug is never the solution. It just 'hides' something, but leaves it still clearly visible, prominent and annoying.

Don't Starve has a distinct feel. The world does, the characters do, and because a game is a little light on the lore side doesn't give you open season to add anything you feel like, that argument is just plain illogical.

I dearly hope this is a mod. It'd fit right in with all the other badly fitting, strange character mods out there.

This game means quite a lot to me. This was the game that got me into gaming. And to see it being treated how it is, it's crushing.

if you guys don't like the pyro then. don't use it. if you don't think it's original... it's okay... you can not play with him if you want...

do you guys really think that just because of the pyro char don't starve will break? that's just wrong.

"Yes, actually. Just because something is avoidable, doesn't make it right. Stealing/promoting another game just does not fit into the DS universe. It makes no sense, and still is cheap, tacky and pointless. Who wants a plain old Pyro, when we could have a demon creature in Wortox, or a insane Scotsman in Wallace? Not me. And stealing Pyrovision is just that. Pyrovision is cheap and tacky in TF2, let alone how bad it would be in DS."

It's still there, every time I click through the char select screen, conjuring up feelings of anger, irritation, and putting me in a bad mood. It's still in the game, the development team still felt it right to add it, there's still a chance I'll random it. Ignorance and avoidance is not an excuse to add something.

It's nothing to do with lore. The character is ill-fitting, boring, potentially immersion-ruining, and just plain bad. It wouldn't fit into the story, without some kind of ridiculous TF2/DS crossover. Also, sweeping something under the rug is never the solution. It just 'hides' something, but leaves it still clearly visible, prominent and annoying.

Don't Starve has a distinct feel. The world does, the characters do, and because a game is a little light on the lore side doesn't give you open season to add anything you feel like, that argument is just plain illogical.

I dearly hope this is a mod. It'd fit right in with all the other badly fitting, strange character mods out there.

This game means quite a lot to me. This was the game that got me into gaming. And to see it being treated how it is, it's crushing.

Right. I think we can both agree to disagree on opinions. Clearly I can never have the same sentiments as you, and if this is really the game that got you gaming, well, fantastic choice there, but I could never share such feelings. I'll just go about my way, the way of I don't really care, and you go about the you really care path, and we can at least both agree we can't have the same opinion on this.

At the end of it all, there will be people like you, and people like me, and honestly, who gives a crud overall? Good Day top hatted koalefant.

I'm gonna be honest and say I like Pyro as a character even though he doesn't fit with the Don't Starve storyline easily.

The next part is a spoiler for those who haven't finished adventure mode.

When you talk to Maxwell at the end of adventure mode, he says "What year is it out there? Time moves differently here."signifying that time moves faster noticing that after Maxwell's death he turns to bone and ashes so he's probably been in the world for a long time and possibly years have past so much that Maxwell's bones had already decomposed so that possibly means somewhere while *insert character here* was trying to complete adventure mode Maxwell could've picked up the Pyro sometime (somehow by transporting the portal to the TF2 in the 1960's trying to possibly find more puppets) and picked up our friend the Pyro then Maxwell sent it to the Don't Starve world.

That's just my thought process when I thought about Pyro in Don't Starve.

Don't Starve got you into gaming?

My first 'real' game was Castlevania on the NES. Mario and Duck Hunt couldn't hold a flame to it, in my opinion.

horizontalboost.gif

On topic, though, I do think this will be a mod or something similar. It wouldn't make sense to me to do it otherwise. I'm sure they have a purpose for it, somewhere along the line.

The spoilers...

I seriously think it's a waste of time trying to tie it to the lore. Let it be what it is; non-canon.

Life would be so much easier if it worked out that way.

Sin exists, but it doesn't mean you have to use it! :p

Don't Starve got you into gaming?

My first 'real' game was Castlevania on the NES. Mario and Duck Hunt couldn't hold a flame to it, in my opinion.

horizontalboost.gif

On topic, though, I do think this will be a mod or something similar. It wouldn't make sense to me to do it otherwise. I'm sure they have a purpose for it, somewhere along the line.

I seriously think it's a waste of time trying to tie it to the lore. Let it be what it is; non-canon.

mine was Prince of Persia

Klei made this game with a respectable set of standers in a flexible and unique universe.  Now there seems to be an opportunity for them to break those standards and I find it concerning.  They can make characters like Wigfird who push those boundaries and still end up fitting well ... and for them to then make a character that's ripped from another unfitting IP just make's it seem so lazy.  I know they can do better then that and I have come to expect better then that.  It's all about having enough respect for different game's to know when it is and inset inappropriate to cross them over.  

There is still this mystery on how exactly they would implement this thing and that's what's causing the most problems here.  

Archived