New Pictures In The Game Files

To a few arguments here, on both sides, really:

In reference to Klei returning the favour or whatever with Valve, that's really, really not necessary. A game consistently in the top 3-ish currently played games on all of Steam really does not need any more advertising other than word of mouth. I highly doubt anyone using Steam to play Don't Starve has no idea what it is.

In response to @ArcticFox789 on Pyro being moneygrabbing. Unless I'm misunderstanding your argument, how, exactly? I see literally no way that anyone would buy a game based on the fact that Pyro is in it, meaning no extra sales. If I misunderstood or misread, my apologies.

In response to @ArcticFox789 on Pyro being moneygrabbing. Unless I'm misunderstanding your argument, how, exactly? I see literally no way that anyone would buy a game based on the fact that Pyro is in it, meaning no extra sales. If I misunderstood or misread, my apologies.

Actually, I could easily see it as a way to get more people interested in it who might have heard of DS but didn't know it was still being updated. I still wouldn't call that moneygrabbing because that sounds negative, when in fact, it's just a simple business move (we're going on the basis that it's even a thing, right?). Same with increasing the price of DS for anyone who hasn't bought it yet. They know that DST will bring in more people, friends of people who already play, etc. And my opinion is that it's one of the classiest ways to get more money from the game.

As for the "tf2 doesn't need promoting," there's another angle that I brought up near the beginning of this thread (and I guess reiterated in this post, oops) http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36786-new-pictures-in-the-game-files/?p=487604

Actually, I could easily see it as a way to get more people interested in it who might have heard of DS but didn't know it was still being updated. I still wouldn't call that moneygrabbing because that sounds negative, when in fact, it's just a simple business move (we're going on the basis that it's even a thing, right?). Same with increasing the price of DS for anyone who hasn't bought it yet. They know that DST will bring in more people, friends of people who already play, etc. And my opinion is that it's one of the classiest ways to get more money from the game.

Hm... I'm not so sure I agree there. RoG was on the big banner in the Steam store, so that's probably still fresh enough in peoples' minds, and even then, I doubt they would get a banner just for a new character. Maybe for Together, but that's something separate. Unless I've confused what you've said here.

Don't Starve got you into gaming?

My first 'real' game was Castlevania on the NES. Mario and Duck Hunt couldn't hold a flame to it, in my opinion.

I know, I got into it late. I'd always been around on the internet, and I'd played games relatively casually, (I had played for a bit with my PS2), but buying and playing Don't Starve got me into a community, which resulted in me getting more into gaming. I'm not a gaming noob, I had followed the gaming community fairly closely, just never really reached into my pocket and bought them before. :-)

Anyway, we're off-topic here.

@Amkar, I'm more on about MP being the money-grabbing thing, the Pyro just seems like a strange marketing move. But I think you can market with cheaping your game.

@Pyromailmann, that still relies on a crossover between DS and TF2, and they are not made for each other, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm agreeing with debugman there, it should not be made to fit lorewise, especially if it's only a mod.

Hm... I'm not so sure I agree there. RoG was on the big banner in the Steam store, so that's probably still fresh enough in peoples' minds, and even then, I doubt they would get a banner just for a new character. Maybe for Together, but that's something separate. Unless I've confused what you've said here.

not just for Pyro, but if they bundled the Pyro character with the release announcement of multiplayer, I think that's a very effective combo and worthy of a banner. and even getting a tf2 blog post/facebook mention would do a deal of good, I would think.

imo Sniper would be more fitting seeing as on one of his profiles somewhere it stated he was a big game hunter but that's kind of irrelevant

What are the chances of it just being a RED herring though? It wouldn't be the first time. 

Ah yes, the new character is actually BLU Pyro. They had me fooled but not anymore!

In all seriousness though, it could even be art just for the sole purpose of promoing DS:Together (Sort of like when the drew Heavy/Demoman/Spy a la Mark of the Ninja). 

Or maybe they're secretly promoting an event where they play TF2 with us. 

and for them to then make a character that's ripped from another unfitting IP just make's it seem so lazy.  I know they can do better then that and I have come to expect better then that.  It's all about having enough respect for different game's to know when it is and inset inappropriate to cross them over.  

We have plenty of characters still: Wortox, Waverly, Wallace... they could use them to make "just new character". I'ts definitely something unusual. And also some of there characters probably already have animations and own temper. So it's not a laziness

Alright, I know I'm not going to convince anyone, because open-onions, but:

Really, how does Pyro not fit into the Don't Starve style?  Don't Starve is highly focused on sanity, something that Pyro clearly does not have a lot of.  I imagine it's going to be a real challenge keeping Pyro sane.

Maybe Klei isn't trying to get more money from this.  Maybe they just thought "Wow, Pyro would really fit well into our game.  Wouldn't it be cool if we added him?  Hey guys!  We're adding a new character you can use to your game!  For free!  Isn't that great?"  *Suddenly, complaints about free DLC*

But What I'm really disappointed about is the fact that people think the inclusion of Pyro, mod or not, would destroy the Don't Starve lore/universe/game.  Do you really think Klei of all companies would purposefully introduce something broken and out-of-place that would completely screw with the game?  If Klei does end up releasing this, you can bet your bottom-dollar that they'll have refined it to a point where it's balanced, it's fitting, and it's fun.

Worrying over something like this is just plain unnecessary.  Don't Starve is Klei's baby, and I don't think they'd add anything to it that would harm the game.

Alright, I know I'm not going to convince anyone, because open-onions, but:

Really, how does Pyro not fit into the Don't Starve style?  Don't Starve is highly focused on sanity, something that Pyro clearly does not have a lot of.  I imagine it's going to be a real challenge keeping Pyro sane.

Maybe Klei isn't trying to get more money from this.  Maybe they just thought "Wow, Pyro would really fit well into our game.  Wouldn't it be cool if we added him?  Hey guys!  We're adding a new character you can use to your game!  For free!  Isn't that great?"  *Suddenly, complaints about free DLC*

But What I'm really disappointed about is the fact that people think the inclusion of Pyro, mod or not, would destroy the Don't Starve lore/universe/game.  Do you really think Klei of all companies would purposefully introduce something broken and out-of-place that would completely screw with the game?  If Klei does end up releasing this, you can bet your bottom-dollar that they'll have refined it to a point where it's balanced, it's fitting, and it's fun.

Worrying over something like this is just plain unnecessary.  Don't Starve is Klei's baby, and I don't think they'd add anything to it that would harm the game.

I'm not addressing whether pyro fits or not, but if pyro is implemented, it's clearly for advertising. Otherwise, they would have made their own pyro character (Willow aside, perhaps more steampunk, I'd imagine) rather than intentionally taking the tf2 one. That doesn't mean he won't be balanced or be unfun to play, but that's undoubtedly the reason for it.

Really, how does Pyro not fit into the Don't Starve style?

All other characters are unique and original. Pyro is already an existing character in a different game, which is set in the late 60s and early 70s, 50 years after Don't Starve. I assume most are more disappointed that Klei would appear to be unable to come up with a new and original character when there's at least 4 others in the game files that have their own personality and story to be shown.

All other characters are unique and original. Pyro is already an existing character in a different game, which is set in the late 60s and early 70s, 50 years after Don't Starve. I assume most are more disappointed that Klei would appear to be unable to come up with a new and original character when there's at least 4 others in the game files that have their own personality and story to be shown.

"Pyro is already an existing character in a different game, which is set in the late 60s and early 70s, 50 years after Don't Starve."

And?  It was addressed before, time moves differently in the Don't Starve world.  It's entirely possible for Pyro to be there.

"...there's at least 4 others in the game files that have their own personality and story to be shown."

Maybe they just don't think that they're appropriate to add, or they're not ready yet.  If Klei's introducing files for Pyro, they must think that Pyro is worthy enough to use in their own intellectual property without contaminating it.  Also, keep in mind that this entire discussion could be for nothing.  Just because the files for Pyro are there, it doesn't mean we're getting Pyro.  The files for Wortox are there, and we can't use him yet either.

EDIT: Also, you quoted my question without answering it.

"Pyro is already an existing character in a different game, which is set in the late 60s and early 70s, 50 years after Don't Starve."

And?  It was addressed before, time moves differently in the Don't Starve world.  It's entirely possible for Pyro to be there.

"...there's at least 4 others in the game files that have their own personality and story to be shown."

Maybe they just don't think that they're appropriate to add, or they're not ready yet.  If Klei's introducing files for Pyro, they must think that Pyro is worthy enough to use in their own intellectual property without contaminating it.  Also, keep in mind that this entire discussion could be for nothing.  Just because the files for Pyro are there, it doesn't mean we're getting Pyro.  The files for Wortox are there, and we can't use him yet either.

Same goes for Wilton and of course that other variation of WX78

What, so it would be fitting for all the other characters to be from a 1920s setting, which Klei has already stated they are, then suddenly one other from the 60s/70s? Possible? Yes. Fitting? No.

Those characters have been in the files for... Well, by now it's about a year and a half-ish. They've had plenty of time to get them ready, and they're far more fitting to the 20s theme than Pyro. And yes, they might not be added, but it just seems odd that they would add it to the files in the first place, only to be removed and later added yet again with more content revolving around them. Especially after the controversy the first time this was found.

What, so it would be fitting for all the other characters to be from a 1920s setting, which Klei has already stated they are, then suddenly one other from the 60s/70s? Possible? Yes. Fitting? No.

Those characters have been in the files for... Well, by now it's about a year and a half-ish. They've had plenty of time to get them ready, and they're far more fitting to the 20s theme than Pyro. And yes, they might not be added, but it just seems odd that they would add it to the files in the first place, only to be removed and later added yet again with more content revolving around them. Especially after the controversy the first time this was found.

I'm going to pick on Wortox again to illustrate my point.  Does Wortox really look like he comes from the 1920's?  How about Wilbur?  Heck, Waverly looks like she comes from the Middle Ages, what with all the witchcraft and all.  My point is: the time a character is supposedly from really has no impact on the game whatsoever, especially a game where time is out-of-whack, and just about anyone from anywhere can be brought there.

If Pyro was completely made up for this game, people would be praising Klei for making such a great and creative character.  The fact that Pyro is from the 1960's and not the 1920's really has no impact on the game or the lore whatsoever.

As far as lore goes, they shouldn't even try with Pyro. It'll sound forced no matter what.

Alright, we'll just have to wait for Pyro's lore right after we hear Willow's...  And Wolfgang's...  And Wendy's...

Really, Wilson and Maxwell are the only two characters that are actually associated with the "lore" of the game.  The others are inferred through their speech files and mannerisms and such, and I have a sneaky suspicion Pyro won't be having any speech files.

The precious implied lore remains intact.

Archived