Lake biome that dries up in the summer.

No real incentive to play summer? Well here is a potential solution; a summer exclusive feature that actually makes sense and is easy to build any new content into.

For instance if people want a summer version of the Walrus Hunting Party then this lake could perhaps dry up and expose a dry, cracked riverbed inhabiting scorpions, snakes or perhaps even destructible termites mounds. - Tons of potential. 

The lake could then fill up again when it rains in the Autumn and will be dormant until the next summer. 

I'm not sure how the transition between lake and no lake would look and how the creatures can spawn without just blinking into existence, but it's an idea.

post-371460-0-88904200-1398386069_thumb.

Note-able comments:

sounds pretty cool and in winter it ices over so you can walk over it maybe? in spring with all the rain some new type of toads or other mob could be attracted to it.

Add a pair of ice skates for extra speed. :>

- items/creatures floated/couldn't escape and froze near to the surface (rng/procedural obviously) which are kind of visable, you are able to pickaxe the item/creature out

- furthermore to this, perhaps the pickaxe for this is unique and requires a walrus tooth or an item from the riverbed in the summertime, or just the basic one (more swings)

(swinging for treasure)

Drying up the ponds might make more sense. A dry pond bottom could be the den of a new loot-dropping neutral mob 

One perk could be that in some intermediate stage between being full of water and completely dried out there could be a setpiece of reeds in the middle that would only be accessible in that stage. 

I like this idea because it made me nostalgic for my undergrad school.  We had an artificial lake that would dry out in the summer and get overgrown with all sorts of neat plants.  It was fun to talk about "mowing the lake" since they'd send out a big mowing machine to keep the vegetation trimmed.

One perk could be that in some intermediate stage between being full of water and completely dried out there could be a setpiece of reeds in the middle that would only be accessible in that stage. 

No real incentive to play summer? Well here is a potential solution; a summer exclusive feature that actually makes sense and is easy to build any new content into.

For instance if people want a summer version of the Walrus Hunting Party then this lake could potentially dry up and expose a dry, cracked riverbed inhabiting scorpions, snakes or perhaps even destructible termites mounds. - Tons of potential. 

The lake could then fill up again when it rains in the Autumn and will be dormant until the next summer. 

I'm not sure how the transition between lake and no lake would look and how the creatures can spawn without just blinking into existence, but it's an idea.

This is really cool! Something to look forward to for summer!

sounds pretty cool and in winter it ices over so you can walk over it maybe? in spring with all the rain some new type of toads or other mob could be attracted to it.

That would be really awesome, a lake biome that changes with the season. o.o

I like that, maybe you can drill a hole in the ice and go ice fishing  :cool2: ... I'll add this to the thread description.

fantastic Idea OP for a future content update, a myriad of ideas for dry riverbed summer adventure time

as for the lake biome freezing over:

during the winter time:

- items/creatures floated/couldn't escape and froze near to the surface (rng/procedural obviously) which are kind of visable, you are able to pickaxe the item/creature out

- furthermore to this, perhaps the pickaxe for this is unique and requires a walrus tooth or an item from the riverbed in the summertime, or just the basic one (more swings)

(swinging for treasure)

Archived