So killing Ice hounds will now freeze you in place...

0P6KF2s.jpg

Killing an ice hound will now make your character have a blue tint, killing a second one will then freeze you in place for 20 seconds like the Deerclops can. It appears to be a range at which it happens, so killing them from afar doesn't seem to freeze you. So yeah, watch out for that next Winter. 

Wouldn't it make a bit more sense for them to freeze you if they damage you instead? 

but now you know, i'm sure you will be able to adjust your tactics accordingly next time

It doesn't make much sense though, mainly when fighting Mactusk. The logical step is the kill the hounds defending Mactusk, but then you get punished for doing so and Mactusk gets an advantage? It would cause some pretty cheap deaths, especially for players new to the DLC who aren't aware of this and fight the hounds in close range.

i guess if you freeze mactusk with an ice staff before killing the second hound he wont get many shots off at you while you're frozen. You gotta admit the mactusk party was pretty trivial before this change. for such great loot i think he should present some kind of challenge.

Kite the blue dogs until they are the only left. After a while it gets intuitive, but the first times are weird. A

Also, the freeze status appears to not lower the character temperature in my tests (stay a while frozen with an unchanging thermal stone)

Kite the blue dogs until they are the only left. After a while it gets intuitive, but the first times are weird. A

Also, the freeze status appears to not lower the character temperature in my tests (stay a while frozen with an unchanging thermal stone)

That seems like a good idea, but things start to get problematic when hounds start attacking in larger packs that you can't simply kite. They can even freeze you if they were killed by toothtraps, if you are close enough.

It would make more sense if you froze when they attack you instead of on death. if they get multiple hits on you in a row that it'd freeze you, like how it takes multiple hits from an ice staff to freeze something. Make them attack a little faster then the rest of the hounds and there you have a decent enemy without the cheap deaths.

I don't see why anyone's bringing the fire hounds into this, they work fine as they do now I think.

The thing is, ice hounds have very little hp and with a good weapon you can probably kill them in two hits. You very well may not even -get- hit. If it was by getting hit and not by killing them, it wouldn't be any harder for the players who are already doing well, yet very harsh for people who were already not easily able to kill them.

This way even if you're able to effortlessly outmatch them in damage (which is very easy before day 100), they still pose a threat, like how the fire hounds can set anything nearby on fire on death, even if that's a more easily avoidable threat.

I, for one, openly welcome an addition to battle that adds depth past "just kite them".

Fighting Mactusk was really easy before anyway, yeah, he was only an issue when he wandered near you when you didn't want to fight, due to his ranged attack. In fact the only hard part of the fight was chasing him down since he runs away! Since he drops two of the most powerful items... it only makes sense that he should be harder than he was before.

The ice hound freeze mechanic is much like the new deerclops freeze mechanic. if you fight them near a blazing fire you will not get frozen.

it cuts down on the kiting a bit having to stay near-ish to a fire but it is avoidable.

I always bring 5 pigs to take on McTusk and Co.  By the time he's finished shaking his flipper at me he gets five hoof-chops to the face and is dead.  No chance to flee.  The ice hounds are pretty trivial after that.  Now random winter hound waves may be another story, depending on situation.

Why? Red hounds don't burn you when they hit you but when they die. It's logical to do the same with Blue hounds don't you think?

But Deerclops doesn't freeze you on kill, does he? He uses the same mechanic. Red hounds only get away with their burning because it's not death inducing and simply encourages killing hounds away from your base. I don't think there should be anything in this game that leaves you helpless for 20 seconds after you kill it.

But Deerclops doesn't freeze you on kill, does he? He uses the same mechanic.

And the Dragonfly with his flames too! Let giants have giant abilities. You imagine a varg during winter? It would be impossible to move if he summons blue hounds. Actually, you can deal with the varg first without caring too much about freezing if you don't hit blue hounds. Deerclops can freeze on hit because he is always alone. Hounds can freeze you on death because they are supposed to be in groups. That's what I think.

0P6KF2s.jpg

Killing an ice hound will now make your character have a blue tint, killing a second one will then freeze you in place for 20 seconds like the Deerclops can. It appears to be a range at which it happens, so killing them from afar doesn't seem to freeze you. So yeah, watch out for that next Winter. 

Wouldn't it make a bit more sense for them to freeze you if they damage you instead? 

No because Fire hounds give fire when they're killed, so there.

No because Fire hounds give fire when they're killed, so there.

That's not death inducing though, it's just annoying. There's quite a difference between how the two hound types play out. One is capable of destroying structures, the other is capable of posthumously killing you in a somewhat cheap way.

Archived