Most hated of enemies "Deerclop"

Well I just lost a fight with Deerclop, again, I was well prepared I had a backpack stashed at base full of nasty stuff for him but as always he caught me away from base with my armour and weapons worn down from fighting spiders all day and i was starting to freeze.

I made a mad dash back to base and quickly donned some new armour and weapons and lay down a campfire away from camp, Deerclop was already bearing down on my camp which I had put so much love and care into for the last 60 days I was not ready to give it up.

So I go in for the attack stabbing him in the back, he lets rip a mighty roar and lays waste to my 4 chest, I swear to make him pay for that and start kiting him around killing him slowly everything is going as planed.

Then the campfire starts to burn low and I start freezing but I cant get to the campfire with him on top of me and stupidly in my haste I droped my grass and my torch with my bag at the start of the fight which is now lost in the darkness.

I try a crazy attempted to drop some wood on the fire but Deerclop wont have a bar of it, he smells his victory, a few freezing attack later I lay wasted, but I have a free life unfortunately its on the other side of the map in the dead of winter.

I know I should have dropped supples out there but there was always something else that needed doing, I manage to get back to camp by the skin of my teeth almost dead from the cold only to find Deerclop waiting for me with a big smile on his face, here ends Winfrid survivor of 63 days we had a good run :(

I am really enjoying the new DLC, while I have never had a problem with Deerclop in the original game he always seems to be the death of me in the DLC, my last 4, 30+ day games have ended because of him, I don't find him a hard giant by himself, but with him always coming at night while I'm freezing from a hard days work in the snow and always out of place when he turns up.

don't go changing him, im loving the challenge and I really really want my revenge :-)

If you think he's bad, you should try to fight the Dragonfly the summer boss (hint: Don't do it, he'll burn everything you love and laugh at you as you burn to death) Do it! Nothing could possibly go wrong

Yes, I faced him in my first game, he torched my base then left me a charred mess on the ground while the tree guards I rounded up to fight him danced in the flames of my corpse while on fire doing nothing to him.

I always try to distract the deerclops or outrun it rather than actually fight it. Distracting it means getting it to fight something else or smash something I don't care about, and then leaving while it is occupied. With these tactics, the deerclops hasn't given me much trouble, but I've only gotten it killed, like, twice.

On the other hand, it can be useful for smashing dangerous setpieces:

YBWAA6f.jpg

The deeclops cleared out the pig guards and their torches for me, how considerate!

6ubzNP9.jpg

Yeah, uh... the deerclops barely put a dent in this one.

Funny story, I was tracking down a koalafant track one day. Instead of koalafant, I found a warg. Then, deerclops showed up and was fighting the warg and its pack.

ez money ez life

Though in the end, I still have to PvM him one on one for 5 minutes. 

Funny story, I was tracking down a koalafant track one day. Instead of koalafant, I found a warg. Then, deerclops showed up and was fighting the warg and its pack.

ez money ez life

Though in the end, I still have to PvM him one on one for 5 minutes. 

I feel like PvE would be a better term for this kind of game. (Player vs Environment) Since pretty much everything is trying to kill you.

I feel like PvE would be a better term for this kind of game. (Player vs Environment) Since pretty much everything is trying to kill you.

EvP feels more appropriate since Environment keeps pwning Player. 

I always try to distract the deerclops or outrun it rather than actually fight it. Distracting it means getting it to fight something else or smash something I don't care about, and then leaving while it is occupied. With these tactics, the deerclops hasn't given me much trouble, but I've only gotten it killed, like, twice.

On the other hand, it can be useful for smashing dangerous setpieces:

YBWAA6f.jpg

The deeclops cleared out the pig guards and their torches for me, how considerate!

6ubzNP9.jpg

Yeah, uh... the deerclops barely put a dent in this one.

Aww come on man isn't the whole point of dont starve beside the fact that you have to dont starve is to adventure and fight things. Yes maybe but with the new reign of giants in are hands im not so sure anymore.

If you think he's bad, you should try to fight the Dragonfly the summer boss (hint: Don't do it, he'll burn everything you love and laugh at you as you burn to death) Do it! Nothing could possibly go wrong

Well, he is easy once you make 20 blowdarts, he stays there most of the time when you land shots.

Re.Deerclops

Freeze him with an ice stuff the put a stack of 10 gun powder at his feet and light it.

OR

Leads him to Beefalo pack and make sure he hits them to aggro them. If they don't kill him they should still weaken him lots. Bonus; meat bonanza!

Bingo-Bango - No more Deerclops

Re.Deerclops

Freeze him with an ice stuff the put a stack of 10 gun powder at his feet and light it.

OR

Leads him to Beefalo pack and make sure he hits them to aggro them. If they don't kill him they should still weaken him lots. Bonus; meat bonanza!

Bingo-Bango - No more Deerclops

Actually, since he can now freeze everything on-hit, the beefalo strategy no longer works, he once killed two herds and he was still alive, but i reaped the reward! 60ish meat,30ish wool and about a dozen horn lol

almost half of that meat went to waste though, i had way too much food already!

Actually, since he can now freeze everything on-hit, the beefalo strategy no longer works, he once killed two herds and he was still alive, but i reaped the reward! 60ish meat,30ish wool and about a dozen horn lol

almost half of that meat went to waste though, i had way too much food already!

Aw shizzelsticks! Oh well. I guess there is always running away until winter ends.

I usually try to make a deerclops fighting area which is also my lumber harvesting area.  I always take two pigs with me to harvest trees, and when a good size treeguard kills them, I leave him wandering.  I try to get as many as I can in that area, which is a little hard to do without your pigs aggroing them, but it's possible.     I plant lone trees here and there in the clear area.    When deerclops comes I have a torch and light the lone trees occasionally to keep me warm.  One treeguard is not much good against him by itself, but if you can get him aggroed on 2 or more, and then you keep attacking him to distract him, they will help wear him down eventually, even though they have to work off a freeze every so often.  Just so long as you keep him from beating on them constantly.  You can also let him beat on them awhile if you need to regroup for heat or healing.  If I have a surplus of hound teeth, I also make a trap area to help wear him down if things go bad.  Has to be well away from the treeguards though.

Aww come on man isn't the whole point of dont starve beside the fact that you have to dont starve is to adventure and fight things. Yes maybe but with the new reign of giants in are hands im not so sure anymore.

No, silly, the point of Don't Starve is to turn adverse circumstances to your advantage. :razz: That means making your enemies fight each other, and making the super dangerous monsters perform menial labor for you. Especially with Wendy, who's not built for direct combat.

Hah Deerclops almost ended my game. Pengulls killed me and when I respawned a massive Hound attack started too. I survived somehow and wrestled him to the ground with my bare hands (ok Beefalo might have helped some), my base gets destroyed every winter though :grin:

The boss mechanic I hate the worst is when they roar and your weapon drops, its pretty lame since you can't even attack without a weapon.

Last time deerclops visited my base I just finished 3 mactusks and needed some rest. When I heard him moan, I instashat my pants, took my "worst-case" marble suite and my spear, ate the last pieces of jerky I had left and waited until he appeared.

Well... I could have/should have known it. This dude just melted my armor, as his freezing attack makes it impossible to kill it with a spear only when tanking his attacks. My marble suit went down to 12% and I decided to take a run, away from my base and then back again to get some blowdarts from a chest. Because of the marble suit, the so called "running" more looked like some sort of "standing-in-place-almost". So my enemy catched up to me and smashed the ground. Babam, my suit broke down, I hardly was alive... something moved on the egde of the screen. I looked closely (while running for my life) and saw a tree guard walking up to deerclops. With his last attack "Clopsi" managed to chop down a single tree. Lucky as I am a treeguard awoke(I didnt even know this was possible).

I ran past the treeguard, our eyes catched each other. He laid his big hand obto my shoulder. I saw a single tear running down his face and he wisphered:"May you live forever, young friend".

Then he put his arms high into the sky, shouted:"You shall not pass!!", and killed my pursuer with one hit to the face.

Holy crap, that was close.

Last time deerclops visited my base I just finished 3 mactusks and needed some rest. When I heard him moan, I instashat my pants, took my "worst-case" marble suite and my spear, ate the last pieces of jerky I had left and waited until he appeared.

Well... I could have/should have known it. This dude just melted my armor, as his freezing attack makes it impossible to kill it with a spear only. My marble suit went down to 12% and I decided to take a run, away from my base and back to get some blowdarts from a chest. Because of the marble suit, the so called "running" more looked like some sort of "standing-in-place-almost". So my enemy catched up to me and smashed the ground. Babam, my suit broke down, I hardly was alive something move on the egde of the screen. I look closely (while running for my life) and saw a tree guard walk up to deerclops. With his last attack he managed to provoke a treeguard (I dont even know this was possible).

I ran past the treeguard, with a tear in his eye he wisphered:"May you live forever, young friend". Then he put his arms high into the sky, shouted:"You shall not pass!!", and killed my pursuer with one hit to the face.

Holy crap, that was close.

Is moments like this that make the game so epic.

I think these stories are pretty interesting.  But, if you wanted to survive and not ruin your base every winter when you're not ready, when you hear the sound of deerclops, run somewhere else like a marsh with other mobs.  This'll distract him, letting you get to your base and fight when ready.

Archived