Make Krampus spawning a more common event.

Hi! I know the theme for RoG is that the game increases a lot in difficulty/challenges, and we're still fine-tuning it, but could you make it so that Krampus spawning is a more common event for things done in the world of Don't Starve? Since his droppable bag is now waterproof, it is likely now a level top tier item. I feel it's a real challenge already to summon him in regular Don't Starve, and making an already good item better but not changing the chances of obtaining it isn't a good game balance. It has never been an assumed "Oh I can get that" item, more like "May God have Mercy on you" item, and since this game is going to overall increase in difficulty then hardly anyone will ever get it (unless of course you spawn it in). I want to at least have a fighting chance to get this awesome item sometime between when I start, and when I die (regular DS, normally day 150). 

So how can we balance out this guy in this new RoG beta? I think we should involve more types of behavior that summon Krampus. Gravedigging could be one, setting fires could be another, feeding pigs monster meat can be another. Even the very act of stealing the egg from a tailbird can be placed into "naughty" category. This certainly goes with the RoG beta's intents on adding onto what DS is. A player can easily succumb to trying to be greedy and summon him, but unless hes really prepared he should watch out, maybe several would spawn at once?

It just depends on what and how often you hunt neutral mobs

if you kill 30 rabbits in a day krampus would spawn, or if you killed a certain amount of pigs and beefalo

Its actually pretty easy to spawn him if you know what you're doing

All my yes to this. The droprate for the Krampus sack also should be increased to something managable. I'd say at least 20% is due, if not higher. I've actually installed that horribly cruel "Krampusnacht" mod just to get one without feeling like a cheater, because tediously spawning Krampus and then praying to whatever entity one may or may not believe in that he'll drop it isn't really a fun way to go about things.

All my yes to this. The droprate for the Krampus sack also should be increased to something managable. I'd say at least 20% is due, if not higher. I've actually installed that horribly cruel "Krampusnacht" mod just to get one without feeling like a cheater, because tediously spawning Krampus and then praying to whatever entity one may or may not believe in that he'll drop it isn't really a fun way to go about things.

Word of God states that the Krampus Sack isn't supposed to be something you should try to obtain, more like a neat little surprise.

Word of God states that the Krampus Sack isn't supposed to be something you should try to obtain, more like a neat little surprise.

A rare chance to get from a mob you can only get when you force him to spawn. And you only make him spawn for the sack. .... Yeah, this doesn't really work out too well, does it.

I'd really like it if, very occasionally, maybe once or twice per playthrough, he shows up without you really having to be doing anything to be trying to call him. When I'm surviving as Wilson, I have literally NEVER killed enough mobs or rabbits or done anything enough within a single day to get him to growl more than once. I'd like it to be a little bit of a challenge not to summon him and have him be pretty difficult if you do, sorta like a mini-boss. I think the easiest way would be to make the naughtiness last longer by not draining/re-setting as quickly. That way during winter if you're just living off rabbits and cutting wood, (which you should never JUST be doing) you might accidentally spawn him because you have to kill so many rabbits to stay alive or you've already killed so many over the previous couple of days that it has added up. Like how is killing 5 rabbits per day for 6 days much different than killing 30 over the course of a day? This would have to be seriously tested though to make it not super annoying throughout the game.

A rare chance to get from a mob you can only get when you force him to spawn. And you only make him spawn for the sack. .... Yeah, this doesn't really work out too well, does it.

Well, that's exactly why we'd want to increase the spawn rate of Krampus.

I think the major issue is that 'naughtiness' only extends to killing animals and not just destructive behaviour in general. Whilst I second the notion that everything destructive should be categorised and dealt with individually by each minor deity (I.E. mother nature - treants, living beings - Krampus, and, to be totally honest, there should be more to include here), there is so much destructive behaviour that just isn't realised by Don't Starve, E.G. asking Pigs to kill other animals, starving creatures, harvesting every mineral in a biome, burning down forests, planting spider dens in friendly zones (huehue), using Magic (??), plucking non-renewable flowers, etc.

Either way, I survive on Rabbits every winter out of pure laze and haven't been punished by Krampus once. Fun thing is: even with the new starving mechanics, I can still live off Rabbits for the entirety of my play-through so long as I have the resources for 3-4 traps and Rabbits in whatever area I'm in (or play like a common DS Pro and camp for 400+ days to complete my smexy base that I haven't done once).  

just isn't realised by Don't Starve, E.G. asking Pigs to kill other animals, starving creatures, harvesting every mineral in a biome, burning down forests, planting spider dens in friendly zones (huehue), using Magic (??), plucking non-renewable flowers, etc.

I don't think that it is very difficult to realize.

Archived