Make Krampus spawning a more common event.

Thanks! Do you have any more ideas to make krampus better?

Not entirely sure about 'never forgetting'. I would consider 'not killing' to be good behaviour, rather. 

Rather, I'd suggest 2 things: A) Krampus' memory is severely elongated, I.E. decay rate is really, really slow, and B ) all creatures have a naughtiness factor that ranges between two numbers (say, rabbits are between 1 and 3). Is that possible? I dunno how LUA works. 

Not entirely sure about 'never forgetting'. I would consider 'not killing' to be good behaviour, rather. 

Rather, I'd suggest 2 things: A) Krampus' memory is severely elongated, I.E. decay rate is really, really slow, and B ) all creatures have a naughtiness factor that ranges between two numbers (say, rabbits are between 1 and 3). Is that possible? I dunno how LUA works. 

Yep, that should be easy to do, when you say all creatures does that include spiders for example? Because all the "innocent" creatures already have a naughty factor but since krampus forgives one point at a minute you usually cannot see the results.

Yep, that should be easy to do, when you say all creatures does that include spiders for example? Because all the "innocent" creatures already have a naughty factor but since krampus forgives one point at a minute you usually cannot see the results.

Oh, no, my wording is bad. Um, I mean 'all pre-existing Naughtiness factors are modified to have a less predictable value of Naughtiness'. Sooo, rather than being able to count how Naughty you've been, you can only make vague estimates. 

Every game needs some crazy hard to obtain items. Turning up the droprate turns down the 'specialness'.

I haven't gotten Krampus' sack in over 100 hours of not starving, and I have never felt like I didn't have enough storage with a backpack and Chester tagging along.

A brutal droprate is unnacceptable when getting the item leads to cool gameplay or essential conveniences. If Krampus had a 1% chance to drop something required to make a Shadow Manipulator, that would be a drag, but a big bag with no drawbacks? It doesn't add anything but six luxury slots to your inventory.

I do agree that it is far too hard to accidentally spawn him. I never knew he existed until I started reading forums.

Gosh, back in the day, there wasn't such a fast drain on Naughtiness so you almost always inevitably spawned Krampus if you only ate meat. 

Anyway, the sack is supposed to be a rare drop, but I hate that 'killing' is encouraged in order to get the sack. 

You know what, I'd be cool if each Krampus evolved with different AI scripts that are extremely diverse. For instance, first Krampus goes directly for your base; second Krampus goes directly for the player; third Krampus waits for the player to leave the base and stalks the player; fourth would wait for player to leave the base and then steal from the base, etc etc etc. You could slightly randomise the pattern on Map Gen or something. 

Dunno, just a thought. 

I only spawned Krampus once by accident. .. but I think the drop rate is fine it's spawning that's the problem. Personally I almost Never kill anything my self... rather put mob against mob... I think Traps used on passive creatures (beefalo/rabbits/pigs [not were pigs]/pengulls) should increase naughtiness. .. so even if you didn't plan their demise it counts meaning you can't just set and forget traps or leave your panic room in an open field. .. Also if you build an arena with mob against mob it should count though I don't know if that's do able

I think the sack drop rate should be increased as well.  Just for fun, I spawned in 500 Krampi, enabled God Mode, and killed them.  Not.  One.  Sack.

Holy... Is this a joke or exaggeration? If you really did to 500 and didn't get 1 sack from that sample, then the % very-much needs to change. 

That, or you're so unlucky that, I dare say, don't even talk to me on these forums lest ball lightning strikes me in my sealed facility. 

Not a joke. [500 Krampi, no sack drops]

Jeez. I can understand the issue with raising the % too much and how fine the line is between too common and too uncommon - given how formidable it is - so, I strongly feel that the drop of the sack needs to be reliant on some kind of condition(s) that makes attaining the sack an accomplishment without being a minigame of 'snap the Rabbit'. 

Not sure. Does anyone else think that the current conditions for attaining the K-Sack (killing a Krampus after provoking its materialisation) is perhaps not ideal given it contradicts the message inferred by the mechanic (Naughtiness)? Would like to know who just wants a % drop buff and who wants the element changed entirely.

Chance of killing 500 krampi and not getting a sack:

.99 (odds of not getting a sack from one Krampus) ^500 = 0.00657 = 0.657% = Slightly better than a 1/200 chance that you could kill 500 krampi and not get the sack.

So Lord Battal did something rarer and far more prestigious than getting a sack from your first Krampus kill.

Over time, I've come up with several more thoughts on the matter

1. Assuming we're talking about modifications to the DLC, I think that new players would really have become veterans of vanilla before diving into the DLC, so any arguments I was think on about 'shock to new players' are silly. They'll still be able to stumble upon him when they first think rabbits are amazing and start slaughtering them by the dozens.
  2. Because at this point we're well aware of Krampus and would be very capable of not spawning him when we don't want it, tweaking naughtiness to increase difficulty wouldn't actually make it more difficult.
  3. Similarly, changing Krampus to make him tougher doesn't do much since we'll find easy ways to kill him. Currently I just kill birds and butterflies around by panic room and then let him die to traps.
  4. The DLC seems to actively make it harder to summon Krampus, depriving us that don't mod our inventories of rather valuable space. I'm starting to find this even more attractive than I did before.

So I'm really not convinced he needs a change. Spring has no rabbits and the rain reduces birds and butterflies, making him quite hard to summon. I find the most convenient times to go after him are in the summer and winter because I prefer the caves in the fall. I'd rather not become distracted and accidentally die down there.

Archived