[Game Update] - 599141

Does DST still have the same attack for controllers that Singleplayer had? There was no ''CTRL+F" differentiation, if you pressed the attack button, regardless of whether or not something was there you would perform an attack, and that attack was ally-agnostic.

Might explain why it would be happening on a controller, I haven't tested it with a keyboard though so it might be happening on Keyboard as well.

1 hour ago, Reecitz said:

Oh, one more thing to mention:

They updated Shadow Fire targeting so that they follow the same rules as the auto-attack feature; I guess this is supposed to make it so they don't attack things you don't want to like butterflies and walls, while trying to attack mobs you're specifically aiming for, or something. Well, I might be doing something wrong, or there's something I don't understand, but whenever I use it, they still go for mobs I don't want, and some don't even hit the mob I want at all, even if it's hostile towards me. 

I don't know how it is for mouse & keyboard, but I can only guess that the spell is behaving this way because the targeting system on controller is... eh, not so accurate in comparison. 

On mouse and keyboard the spell is working properly.  If I am actively fighting a boss, and its the closest mob to me by a bit, then all 5 bolts reliably hit the boss.  If I'm being chased by hounds / shadow monkeys / etc and cast they usually split onto 2-3 targets that are similar distance from me, in the direction they fired.

On 3/20/2024 at 12:02 AM, V2C said:

Changes

• The Nightmare/Scrappy Werepig will no longer spawn in both the Forest and Cave at the same time. Some beta worlds may still have both active until they are defeated.

Update Note

• The spawning mechanic of the Nightmare/Scrappy Werepig has been modified to what we had originally planned and now that players have experienced the fight it has been changed to reflect that.

@V2C I'm sorry but how exactly is it supposed to work? I just tried to experience it for the first time and opened a copy of my current world in the beta branch. The junkyard somewhat successfully retrofitted (athough not in the Mandrake Evergreen Forest but in Triple McTusk biome instead) and only spawned a big junk pile surrounded by scrap fences but no small junk piles. Rummaging through the big junk pile does nothing. Ok, maybe I need to defeat Nightmare Werepig first? I went down to the caves and killed him, back to the surface - nothing again, rummaging through the junk piles still does not summon Scrappy Werepig. Ok, maybe I need to wait? c_skip(20), still nothing, can't make Scrappy Werepig to come out of the junk piles. What am I doing wrong? How do I even summon him?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lovens said:

@V2C I'm sorry but how exactly is it supposed to work? I just tried to experience it for the first time and opened a copy of my current world in the beta branch. The junkyard somewhat successfully retrofitted (athough not in the Mandrake Evergreen Forest but in Triple McTusk biome instead) and only spawned a big junk pile surrounded by scrap fences but no small junk piles. Rummaging through the big junk pile does nothing. Ok, maybe I need to defeat Nightmare Werepig first? I went down to the caves and killed him, back to the surface - nothing again, rummaging through the junk piles still does not summon Scrappy Werepig. Ok, maybe I need to wait? c_skip(20), still nothing, can't make Scrappy Werepig to come out of the junk piles. What am I doing wrong? How do I even summon him?

First you will have to defeat the cave version and then wait 20 days for it to emerge on the surface.

If I'm not mistaken, to face the same version of the boss (cave x cave / surface x surface) you will have to wait at least 40 days (defeating one of his versions every 20).

Infortunately, it's been like this until now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

First you will have to defeat the cave version and then wait 20 days for it to emerge on the surface.

If I'm not mistaken, to face the same version of the boss (cave x cave / surface x surface) you will have to wait at least 40 days (defeating one of his versions every 20).

Do I actually need to play through those 20 days for it to spawn? Looks like skipping days though console didn't seem to work :(

16 minutes ago, Lovens said:

Do I actually need to play through those 20 days for it to spawn? Looks like skipping days though console didn't seem to work :(

The cave version has to be faced first (I remember the developers put this condition in place). After beating Nightmare Werepig you will have to wait 20 long days for Scrappy Werepig to appear. And then you will have to wait another 20 long long long days to have a new encounter with Nightmare Werepig.

I even asked @V2C to reduce this deadline to just 10 days, as we are talking about two versions of the same boss with different loot.

It's worth remembering that now it's no longer allowed to have two versions of the boss at the same time (except for worlds that were already in beta and had both). So you'll have to go down and defeat the one in the caves anyway.

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 1
  • Ninja 1

11 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

The cave version has to be faced first (I remember the developers put this condition in place). After beating Nightmare Werepig you will have to wait 20 long days for Scrappy Werepig to appear. And then you will have to wait another 20 long long long days to have a new encounter with Nightmare Werepig.

I even asked @V2C to reduce this deadline to just 10 days, as we are talking about two versions of the same boss with different loot.

It's worth remembering that now it's no longer allowed to have two versions of the boss at the same time (except for worlds that were already in beta and had both). So you'll have to go down and defeat the one in the caves anyway.

Yes but I already defeated Nightmare Werepig, and even after 20 days the Scrappy version hasn't spawned, hence my confusion. Read my first comment again if you missed that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lovens said:

Yes but I already defeated Nightmare Werepig, and even after 20 days the Scrappy version hasn't spawned, hence my confusion. Read my first comment again if you missed that.

I understand now. Well, for me, I have 5 days to go before I give the 20. I'll see if it shows up here and let you know.

• Thanks 1

I don't think that werepig should have a respawn timer If he is spawning as 2 separate bosses. Why not spawn him on the surface as soon as he is beaten in the caves? He doesn't die anyway and it would make it much less annoying to farm one version even if it will still be a problem for someone who only wants to farm dreadstone or scrap.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

I don't think that werepig should have a respawn timer If he is spawning as 2 separate bosses. Why not spawn him on the surface as soon as he is beaten in the caves? He doesn't die anyway and it would make it much less annoying to farm one version even if it will still be a problem for someone who only wants to farm dreadstone or scrap.

The problem for me is the excessive time of 20 days. Imagine that in a new world I beat the cave pig on the 19th after clearing the ruins. Well, only on the 39th will I be able to defeat the other (surface). The benefit of the helmet that I could use for navigation is greatly undermined.

It also hurts to get dreadstones, as it would take 40 days (at least) to review Nightmare Werepig.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

A very telling detail of the argument being had here is that most of the people arguing against the exploit are not, in fact, saying that the exploits' existence is affecting them or others, and the ones that are are speaking almost entirely in hypotheticals. I counted one person in the entire topic with an anecdote saying that they had a negative experience with it. And I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of these people actually are playing alone, and most of the rest playing only with friends or other small, vetted groups.

Of the 10.7k-ish servers currently announcing, and the 7.3k-ish of those running the current version of the game, ~2/3 are password-protected. Of those that aren't, ~1.3k have any players in them at all. And while I can't (as best I can tell) use any filters or sorting to determine how many days the average server out of these has been up, scanning through about a hundred or so revealed worlds that mostly were running for less than 50 days, and a lot not even making it through Autumn. Who's joining fully open servers that don't even last an entire year and exploiting AFW against everyone's will?

Where are all these people being adversely affected by this exploit hiding? Why aren't virtually any of them here? Go search the forum for mentions of lureplant, lure plant, meatbulb, etc. before this week, going back a year. A scan doesn't see anybody talking about it actually affecting them, just tangentially griping in random topics about how much they hate that it's a thing people can do.

You ever notice how often on these forums this arguement is made it comes up litterally every month "you don't have a opinion on the matter because it doesn't effect you" and " I know exactly how you play the game and the experiences you've had playing therefore your opinion is invalid" they're more focused on shutting down discussion rather than giving a reasonable arguement. Trying to play the role of the logical one while basing the entire argument on information you don't have it's tiring really.

Y'all wanna act like the people who don't want to see this go don't have a better reason than that they're lazy and want free loot, and you can't even bring back anything as substantial as that for why it should go. Just value judgments and disingenuous arguments. "I want it" doesn't seem any less legitimate a reason than what all these arguments are boiling down or stripping away in to: "I don't want you to have it."

Calling people disingenuous and then saying the only reason people want this changed is because they don't want other people to have it is peak irony but it's not unexpected on these forums it's always easier to make a strawman and any chance you guys get you take it and run with it.

Y'all wanna act like the people who don't want to see this go don't have a better reason than that they're lazy and want free loot,

That being said minus the lazy part I haven't seen a better reason given because if being able to approach boss fights from a different perspective is the goal then I don't see why you guys would be so against boss reworks as ancient guardian's rework definitely made it possible to handle it multiple ways. Not to mention people have admitted getting rewards easier was the reason for it while others mention it's because those bosses are a pain to fight.

So I ask again what's so bad about reworking the fights to be more manageable since people seem to have enough trouble with them that the ideal method of fighting them is breaking their a.i. and mechanics?

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

ancient guardian's rework definitely made it possible to handle it multiple ways

those ways are making it ram into obstacles and?..

• Sanity 1

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

That being said minus the lazy part I haven't seen a better reason given because if being able to approach boss fights from a different perspective is the goal then I don't see why you guys would be so against boss reworks as ancient guardian's rework definitely made it possible to handle it multiple ways. Not to mention people have admitted getting rewards easier was the reason for it while others mention it's because those bosses are a pain to fight.

This is a pretty mixed bag for most people, I would be happy with boss reworks and have argued for them in the past myself. But even if the boss was reworked that doesn't really change the argument of wanting to keep options for players. And Ancient Guardian's boss rework didn't really add any options to it, it is a very straightforward fight, as well as most new bosses released in this time frame(Which I actually like.). 

But even if the bosses were reworked, I would still want this option to stay. Like, a rework doesn't change the idea that a harmless and optional method of killing a boss exists and doesn't need to be patched out in a game like this.

Calling people disingenuous and then saying the only reason people want this changed is because they don't want other people to have it is peak irony but it's not unexpected on these forums it's always easier to make a strawman and any chance you guys get you take it and run with it.

It's not a strawman, it's reading what the others are saying and coming to the conclusion that it's not genuine and that there is another motivation behind their arguments, that motivation being some kind of need to enforce or dictate that people shouldn't be allowed to do a certain thing in a video game.  When you actually analyze what that "thing" is, it reinforces this idea, because it's not people defending a glitch that lets players crash the game for other players, it's not a glitch that corrupts saves, it's an optional glitch that you have to go out of your way to intentionally exploit. To be so dogmatic to the point you would want to remove this, knowing how harmless and optional it is, in the face of players who enjoy it and want it to stay, can only lead to these kinds of assumptions. They may be wrong, but there's definitely good reason to suspect it beyond ''lol nice strawman bro''.

You ever notice how often on these forums this arguement is made it comes up litterally every month "you don't have a opinion on the matter because it doesn't effect you" and " I know exactly how you play the game and the experiences you've had playing therefore your opinion is invalid" they're more focused on shutting down discussion rather than giving a reasonable arguement. Trying to play the role of the logical one while basing the entire argument on information you don't have it's tiring really.

This is a huge pot meet kettle thing. Faintly literally listed further context on why he believes that, the amount of investigation done into coming to his conclusion, and you're being incredibly reductionist in the way you are dismissing him. There are some things that feel self-evident to most people and this is a situation I would agree with Faintly on. In fact, I would bet money that an absolutely insignificant number of people just happened to waltz in on a public server, find fuelweaver being cheesed, feel some kind of personal attack has been made on their game philosophy and then quit the game because the experience forever scarred them, or any kind of similar encounter with this supposedly fatal game bug.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

3 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

I agree. If I want to hunt only one type of the werepig, I should wait more than 40 days, theoretically.

5 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

Eek, really?  That sucks.  I find that repeat fights against NMWP are kinda a waste.  I already have the recipies and do not need any of his materials.  Dreadstone is used for only a few things really...  And that means 40 days to refight a boss?  That is sooo long.

boss reworks as ancient guardian's rework definitely made it possible to handle it multiple ways.

cd07f3de939c17c144e0b82e8601334a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grm9 said:

those ways are making it ram into obstacles and?..

Not use the obstacles? You do uh realize he's perfectly kitable without the obstacles right? Or does he need to infinitely run into a wall to be considered alternative?

1 hour ago, cropo said:

It's not a strawman, it's reading what the others are saying and coming to the conclusion that it's not genuine and that there is another motivation behind their arguments, that motivation being some kind of need to enforce or dictate that people shouldn't be allowed to do a certain thing in a video game.  When you actually analyze what that "thing" is, it reinforces this idea, because it's not people defending a glitch that lets players crash the game for other players, it's not a glitch that corrupts saves, it's an optional glitch that you have to go out of your way to intentionally exploit. To be so dogmatic to the point you would want to remove this, knowing how harmless and optional it is, in the face of players who enjoy it and want it to stay, can only lead to these kinds of assumptions. They may be wrong, but there's definitely good reason to suspect it beyond ''lol nice strawman bro''.

So in other words in your mind there's no reason someone would want this removed aside from spiting other people and you've determined this is a absolute fact? I get that there are people who want the exploits fixed for bad reasons but there are equally people who want them to stay for bad reasons like being lazy but what's happening is any arguments against keeping exploits being boiled down to the worst crowds so yes that is a strawman. Also I'm not sure if you've realized this but dst is a multiplayer game meaning actions you take in a public server does infact effect people on those servers your simply looking at it from your perspective and assuming anything counter is unimportant you guys are not game devs nor do you represent the entirety of the community people are allowed to disagree without having some big agenda or wanting to cause suffering.

• Like 2
  • Potato Cup 1

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Not use the obstacles? You do uh realize he's perfectly kitable without the obstacles right? Or does he need to infinitely run into a wall to be considered alternative?

is that really an alternative strat considering you need to purposefully avoid obstacles to intentionally avoid getting an advantage from him ramming into them and they fixed looping melee bites?

Edited by grm9
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

cd07f3de939c17c144e0b82e8601334a.jpg

As said above using the obstacles is a choice the irony of people not realizing this when creativity has been a big talking point in this thread is not lost on me.

Just now, grm9 said:

is that really an alternative strat considering you need to purposefully avoid obstacles to intentionally avoid getting an advantage from making him ram into them and they patched looping melee bites?

So let me get this straight running into a obstacle infinitely is a creative alternative but not taking advantage of a boss gimmick to fight it isn't? Now I'm left scratching my head.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

there are equally people who want them to stay for bad reasons like being lazy

no, sometimes people use glitches because they don't enjoy doing stuff the normal way

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

So let me get this straight running into a obstacle infinitely is a creative alternative but not taking advantage of a boss gimmick to fight it isn't? Now I'm left scratching my head

alternatives are, in case of FW, using bramble husk/abigail/catapults/lunar fire/weather pain/luring FW away from woven shadows, teleporting using lazy explorer/soul hopping/dodging the bone cage, teleporting/soul hopping out of arena and back/increasing sanity/only getting insane while mind control is on cd, cheese is unrelated to that, even though it does require more thought than trying to make AG not ram into obstacles

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

Avoiding the pillars isn't doing things the normal way. Neither is charge canceling ancient guardian btw

i was talking about stuff like voidwalking and cheesing FW, i personally sometimes cheese FW because i already did the fight the fun way in test worlds and i don't want to make a shadow manipulator in normal worlds, ig i should practice no nightmare amulet fight more to do it without wolfgang consistently with ping instead but still, i've had fun doing stuff after FW's death so i don't see why me doing that was bad and i doubt that i've hurt anyone considering that even on pubs there are pretty much no people trying to do FW early

• Like 3

On 3/20/2024 at 1:51 AM, Habakkuk said:

Cheese is part of the game, and I hope it will always be. One of the things that makes DS and DST beautiful for me and  for a lot of other players is that we have freedom to choose how we want to play, we are not forced to play always the same way. We can be creative, and a sandbox is about creativity. Kill bosses in an easy way because we set up a farm to that is a reward for a lot of players.

I think this is much smaller than the feeling of being in a game with these bugs that eliminate some things
We can be creative without being cheaters

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Castiliano said:

I think this is much smaller than the feeling of being in a game with these bugs that eliminate some things
We can be creative without being cheaters

Cheater is a strong word, use broken game mechanics to win is a cheese not a cheat. Cheese is good, cheese is love. :love_heart:

• Health 2

5 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

Cheater is a strong word, use broken game mechanics to win is a cheese not a cheat. Cheese is good, cheese is love. :love_heart:

Cheating/exploits is the same category when you report someone in online games

Exploits = Cheating

• Potato Cup 2