Honeycomb / Beeswax is a very expensive resource.

If your world doesn't come with the killer bee biome you basically run out of this resource quickly.

The first use of this resource will be with Bee Box. Then you will need it to make Wax Paper. And now we have Embalming Sprintz.

The only renewable source is Bee Queen and it will only give you 1 (or 2) every 20 days.

We cannot even use the multiplication technique for staffs and amulets made with green gems.

Please Klei, create an item that costs 6 Honeycombs or 6 Beeswax so we can multiply...

...Or allow Wilson to create this item by transforming honey.

Captura de tela 2024-03-10 080340.png

• Like 4

it's 3 waxes for 50 uses right? We had to spend 1 whole wax to preserve giant crops. Is that really that expensive? And we're talking about very late game item, when you already have late game gear and bee queen is just a joke of a boss

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, landromat said:

it's 3 waxes for 50 uses right? We had to spend 1 whole wax to preserve giant crops. Is that really that expensive? And we're talking about very late game item, when you already have late game gear and bee queen is just a joke of a boss

Despite the fact that bee queen becomes easy, you only get the resource every 20 days. It still leaves it expensive and time consuming resource to gather for mostly decorational uses than anything else. Bundling wraps can be easily gotten from klaus but you get but 4 per year. Many many hours for so little wax and I don't like it :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Despite the fact that bee queen becomes easy, you only get the resource every 20 days. It still leaves it expensive and time consuming resource to gather for mostly decorational uses than anything else. Bundling wraps can be easily gotten from klaus but you get but 4 per year. Many many hours for so little wax and I don't like it :(

you're getting 100 uses of spray from 1 bee queen. How much more do you need?

• Like 3

Just now, landromat said:

you're getting 100 uses of spray from 1 bee queen. How much more do you need?

It's not the spray but the waxed veggies. Perhaps we'll get more uses out of it. I'd like to possibly make some sort of magic candles with them. Why would I not want more? I do want more. 

20 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

It's not the spray but the waxed veggies. Perhaps we'll get more uses out of it. I'd like to possibly make some sort of magic candles with them. Why would I not want more? I do want more. 

so you better ask for giant veggies to be waxed with spray, not for ridiculous amount of bee wax for no reason

My suggestion is to create waxing spray, crafted from same 3 wax and has 50 uses for veggie waxing only, which you can upgrade with pure horror to make embalming spritz

Edited by landromat
  • Like 3

Honeycombs were fine back when they just made the very powerful bee boxes and the very powerful bundling wrap, but they keep adding a bunch of crap that shouldn't be using this rare resource for like Wigfrid's container, waxing farm plants, and now embalming spritz. There should be some sort of separation, I think. 

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s too difficult if the intention is it to be a lategame item. If you use a construction amulet to make the cost 2 beeswax, you can make up to 3 of these per bee queen kill. The only real issue I see with it is if your world initally generated with a small amount of beehives and don’t have a lot to spare when it comes to making essentials first.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

It's not the spray but the waxed veggies.

I'd like to mention that, so long as you keep them in the ground unpicked, you can actually use the spritz to wax giant crops! It's far less convenient to have to grow them in the right pattern and remove the farmland turf below them and such, compared to just carrying the picked versions into place and using wax on them, but you can technically stretch that 3 wax into 50 whole crops if you're okay with how they look while planted!

Edited by finn from human

It's unfortunate that honeycomb "Needs to be" an expensive resource. 1 of them is a generator of food and healing for every single character including wormwood.... Except Wanda... But yes, it is the case. 

There's a very unfortunate overlap of an instance where something decorative is in the same realm as something that is infinitely useful to survival. 

• Like 2

Demand for beeswax would go way down if the sprits worked on picked giant crops. 

An entire beeswax for a single waxed giant crop was always extremely pricey so now that something like the sprits exists it should also be able to wax harvested giants. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, chirsg said:

It's unfortunate that honeycomb "Needs to be" an expensive resource. 1 of them is a generator of food and healing for every single character including wormwood.... Except Wanda... But yes, it is the case. 

There's a very unfortunate overlap of an instance where something decorative is in the same realm as something that is infinitely useful to survival. 

The thing is that you only need a few bee hives to feel like you've got an efficient and enough honey to make the good food and healing you want. I wouldn't argue that the filler and the dishes it provides is great, but I'd argue that there's plenty of other food options to choose from that are also great or are even better for what they do. Dragonpie, cooked farm veggies, banana dishes, raw shrooms... there's a ton of food in the game, so that I don't remember the last time I've ever used honey. Honey poultice is nice, B U T  jellybeans and other healing foods are nicer XD.

Wormwood benefits from many kinds of healing selections, and or having a friend (the tragic part of what everyone needs) to be a Wortox and supplement him well with heals. Tents, normal salves, batbats do the job well enough. Thulecite armor gonna basically reduce the need for heal greatly anyway, especially crowns.

Take it from the guy that employs everything that the game offers the I'm the guy that generally avoids hard labor in food production often enough to result in scavenging to provide myself - cause the world is very plentiful in offering all of that to not need much of hard work unless just long distant travels to get that supply. Either shrooms from caves, or meat and bananas from monkeys - usually that's enough to sustain health, sanity and hunger all together and it's going into danger for that food.

Farming and waiting for the food to grow ain't my gig, so unless you or others are a base sitter then maybe you'd value honey much more but I see it as a waste of time usually, and saving it for later game.

------

SO back to honeycomb topic. I think it doesn't necessarily have to be a "expensive resource" but could be a luxury that we could somehow produce more, or the world itself would bring more bees to us. I already mentioned in a post I made before that bee queen should have some small level of influence in the world in infesting plants or trees in having beehives growing on them or in them. Kinda like gnats but just generally finding whatever wild area and occupying those places with hives while the queen is alive. Since mechanics exist now with how brightshades work - I say we could have that similar, but less frequent mechanic with bees too. Scavenging for combs would be nice and would pull out players out of bases to explore and forage more often.

Considering you can increase the spawn rate of Bee Queen I don't see an issue. So it is more like every 5 days (or is it 1 when maxed out? I don't remember). Especially with super late game worlds where more than likely BQ is on pseudo-autofarm. Just my 2 cents. Not that anyone asked a non-megabaser for their opinion.

They can add some late game mob that has a chance to drop honey combs so we wont be able to make 1000 bee boxes in early but have more access to them in late for decoration 

Something like gestals infecting bee boxes so they release lunatic bees or something, it will create another counter to a good food source (way more used than berries which are only used by new players) while solving the grind

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arubaro said:

They can add some late game mob that has a chance to drop honey combs so we wont be able to make 1000 bee boxes in early but have more access to them in late for decoration 

Something like gestals infecting bee boxes so they release lunatic bees or something, it will create another counter to a good food source (way more used than berries which are only used by new players) while solving the grind

Or just give bees a 1% chance to drop it