Polar Bearger Bin should halt spoilage completely

4 minutes ago, Fatkitty said:

The only Warly food I use is the spices, which I added to Jellybeans which never spoil, and the volt goat jelly occasionally to fight a wet toadstool. I just dont think any late stage worlds need infinite food preservation unless you want to fully cheese your world. 

bundling wraps are available early game and offer infinite food preservation as it is. The suggestion to make bearger bin, a literal end-of-the-game item, have 0% spoilage has zero effect on survival when it's already achievable in first autumn from bee queen.

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I wasn't talking about the salt spice but salt itself which does effect spoilage.

Salt Crystals do not restore freshness to crock pot foods, only raw ingredients that can be cooked over fire.

On a side note the bin works with the Ice Crystaleyezer to extend freshness just a bit longer.

38 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Guys, the reason for bundle-wrapped foods still is not because of quantity of foods, but rather Warly-specific foods. A volt-goat jelly lasts 100 days in the bearger bin. Good for most things, but not great for volt-goat jelly. For example, one cooking session as Warly can last me 1000 days easily with the amount of volt-goat jelly and fish cordon-bleu I cook. Without bundle wraps, I would have to switch to Warly every single year to cook like 2-3 of each to use for that year.

I think this is a good point. If you were playing as Warly the freshness of the buff foods would not be as impactful as making more on demand is more convenient than swapping.

The bin is still good for jelly if you are good at portioning amounts for immediate plans such as consecutive CC kills.

6 hours ago, finn from human said:

image.png.7a26f9b1b39774d73da13b7b84b8ed39.png

Yeah it gets a bit tedious, I often leave a stack of food unbundled in ice chester as well so I only have to unbundle every ten or so days. Unbundling every day to eat is just bananas, no thank you sir. 

I am very much looking forward to the new bearger container to only have to keep stuff like volt jelly bundled.

I think it is in a good spot right now. 90% reduction is huge. Just bundle ingredients/special dishes, and use the bearger bin for everyday food so you dont have to waste 34345655 grass every time you want to eat or heal

bearger bin is gonna be one of those things that the forums love,

but once its outta beta ppl will use it a bit seem happy and then slowly switch back to bundles and leaving it forgotten,

since watching your rottimer on food all the time is even more annoying then using grass on bundles.

The only advantage over bundling wrap is that it doesn't require grass on each use and unbundling/bundling which is kind of annoying. That doesn't compare to completely stopping the the spoilage timer and at most you will use it with bundling wraps.

As the OP said this is end game item only obtainable after rifts are activated and bundling wrap already stops food spoilage so why would it matter if this item was like that too?

I will use this item regardless but I'll only store enough food inside so that they don't get stale before I manage to eat it all just because I don't like unbundling and bundling every time I need to eat but this item would feel underwhelming considering the time you need to invest to obtain it.

I'm actually cool with it having a very slight amount of spoilage. My packaged food usually contains 3 different food types for different situations and my inventory is usually full so I usually gotta drop some items, unbundle, pick all the food up, eat what I want, craft a wrap again, re-wrap it.

Am pretty glad to be able to significantly speed that process up, and the items don't drop on the ground for that brief moment. You're trading true food immortality for convenience, and I think it's a fair trade. Bundling Wraps still have their use for keeping food permanently preserved, and being able to hold any food.

Only thing I don't like about the Bear fridge is it only holding crockpot dishes, but that's not really a deal-breaker. It's a good item.

We also don't know if the rest of the lunar bosses that they're probably gonna add will hasten the process of getting the new boss items, and add more cool stuff. I can't wait to see what future items they bring with this new system.

having bacon/honey ham go stale in 70 days is rlly good imo, you get literally an entire in game year before you need to refresh the supply

i feel like bundles are going to be better for hoarding high amounts of food in chests, while the bearger fridge will be used to make the food more portable

22 minutes ago, lenship2 said:

I feel like bundles are going to be better for hoarding high amounts of food in chests

I'm glad someone brought this up. If the bin were to get infinite spoilage, bundles would absolutely still have their place in the game for storing crops, other produce like figs, glowberries, birchnuts, etc. Bundles are cheap. They are available early. They stop spoilage of _anything_, not just crockpot dishes. Bundles will remain useful.

1 hour ago, cropo said:

We also don't know if the rest of the lunar bosses that they're probably gonna add will hasten the process of getting the new boss items, and add more cool stuff. I can't wait to see what future items they bring with this new system.

Even if the design is tweaked to make it quicker to farm spark arcs, these items are still insanely hard to get compared with bundle wrap. To get a bearger bin, one must:

• Do enough of the ruins to get a star caller
  • Complete the moon stone event
  • Reactivate the archives
  • Sail the ocean to find pearl, the moon, and probably have to deal with monkey raids on the way
  • Complete the pearl quest
  • Kill crab king
  • Farm the moonstorms
  • Kill celestial champion

and then after all that, through the course of 1 in game year, the player must

• Kill deerclops
  • Kill zombie deerclops
  • Kill bearger
  • Kill zombie bearger
  • Find a varg and kill it
  • Kill zombie varg
  • Finally receive a spark arc
  • Revisit the archives to activate the spark arc

And finally, you can choose between 1 of 3 (well, 3 today, probably more in the future) extremely end game items. Compare that with the bundle wrap which requires you to

• Kill bee queen

The fact that bundle wraps have infinite spoilage and the bearger bin does not is incredibly backwards. It takes multiple in game years to obtain the bin and requires the player to overcome almost every challenge the game presents. On the other hand, bundle wrap can be obtained in the first few days of autumn if you feel like rushing it.

The grass cost of bundling your food is almost negligible. It's not like you're unbundling it every time you eat. You take out as much food as you'll eat before it spoils. If you have bacon and eggs, that's going to be 9-10 days worth of hunger. Over the course of a year, that's only ~7 rope. Yes, it's tedious. An endgame item like the bearger bin should absolutely resolve that tedium for inventory food management. Leaving it at 10% spoilage makes it a side grade to an early game item. 0% spoilage would make it truly an end game item.

14 hours ago, Popian said:

Salt Crystals do not restore freshness to crock pot foods, only raw ingredients that can be cooked over fire.

That seems really useless when you could just cook them over a fire for the same effect. Maybe it is good with blue caps, but it should work for all foods. It might be useful.

15 hours ago, Fatkitty said:

IDK 

IDK About this.

The only Warly food I use is the spices, which I added to Jellybeans which never spoil, and the volt goat jelly occasionally to fight a wet toadstool. I just dont think any late stage worlds need infinite food preservation unless you want to fully cheese your world. 

Well we're about 6 years too late for that conversation, eh?

7 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

That seems really useless when you could just cook them over a fire for the same effect. Maybe it is good with blue caps, but it should work for all foods. It might be useful.

I personally don't find Blue Caps to be worth salting, as by the time you have salt surplus you would also have access to a lot of other healing foods if not repurpose/spam eat them stale and go pick more.

I've found it useful for things that are harder to access in certain areas and not quite important enough to bundle like Bananas and Pumpkins. It can also be more relevant with the bin as any spoilage from crock pot foods before getting placed in it gets magnified 10 times just as their freshness does.

13 hours ago, chaosmonkey said:

Even if the design is tweaked to make it quicker to farm spark arcs, these items are still insanely hard to get compared with bundle wrap. To get a bearger bin, one must:

• Do enough of the ruins to get a star caller
  • Complete the moon stone event
  • Reactivate the archives
  • Sail the ocean to find pearl, the moon, and probably have to deal with monkey raids on the way
  • Complete the pearl quest
  • Kill crab king
  • Farm the moonstorms
  • Kill celestial champion

and then after all that, through the course of 1 in game year, the player must

• Kill deerclops
  • Kill zombie deerclops
  • Kill bearger
  • Kill zombie bearger
  • Find a varg and kill it
  • Kill zombie varg
  • Finally receive a spark arc
  • Revisit the archives to activate the spark arc

And finally, you can choose between 1 of 3 (well, 3 today, probably more in the future) extremely end game items. Compare that with the bundle wrap which requires you to

• Kill bee queen

While the bin is gonna be useful even in it's current state you do present a pretty compelling argument here, especially when you consider that bundling wrap has uses beyond just food. I think if not pausing spoilage it probably should be stronger than 0.9, as strong as that is.

On 10/3/2023 at 1:54 PM, HowlVoid said:

The constant bundling and unbundling is far too annoying, plus it requires I carry grass or rope with me. 

Totally agree! Plus My inventory is always full so I have to drop items to be able to pick up whatever was in the bundle, then rebundle to pick back up what I had to drop in the firstplace (while worrying if they will be eaten/ swiped depending on where you are). A zero spoilage for the bearger bin would replace some of my bundles but I'd still use my hambat/helmet, darksword, "supply storage savers", plus everything else chaos monkey said (ie crops/seeds etc.) bundles making both viable imo.

7 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

There really should be some way to know what is in a bundling wrap whether that be being able to draw on them, xray vision via the new WARBIS armor set or something else. Would be extremely handy. 

I don't know if this would help u but I use bundlingwrap skins to narrow it down to categories (Anything weapon/armor/fighting is in the Gothic one, food is in the carnival one, the rose one is for my lightbulb/glow berries or supplys etc) Then I use mini signs for my bundles at base.

But making something that could see thru them would be cool! (Dunno how to implement something like that tho) I used to want to be able to dye them with mushrooms (to create categories)

I'm all for making a solution because everyone has issues with "hmmmm I forgot what's in this random gift-wrapped box" so u unwrap it just to re-wrap it, then do the same exact thing 100 days later at some point!

On 10/3/2023 at 2:28 PM, Mysterious box said:

Why do you need to use the bundles for food at all when you have the bin?

I think some of it is ur particular mindset. For example I'd never put ANY food in the bin if there is a spoilage timer. I don't care how long I'd last. I dry or cook any ingredient that isn't in the green before I make it into a crockpot meal because I want it to last as long as possible before putting it into a bundle. It might sound excessive to you, but it's how my brain functions (yes even my powder cakes are bundled)

I'd put my everyday meal, sanity, health, spicey voltgoat, garlic cordonblu and garlic jellybeans in the bin (if it didn't spoil) and bundle everything else in the game. I'd make it very useful imo since it can only hold crockpot foods making both (bin and bundle) useful. It just isn't a useful endgame item for me right now. Not saying it isn't good, it's just not good for me.

On 10/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, Fatkitty said:

I disagree. Takes up 1 slot in the inventory, but can store 6 items. If you don't want it to spoil, use bundling wraps. 

Bundling and unbundling tedious

23 hours ago, Fatkitty said:

This is the winning answer in my opinion. A bundling wrap defeats the whole purpose of spoilage. 

Let's not go down that rabbit hole. I've already had a thread completely derailed when the bundle-fans sniffed a hint of a nerf suggestion. The fact is that the pandora's box has already been opened, and infinite preservation of infinite quantities is a mainstay in the Constant.

That being said, as players accumulate more and more wax paper, ice boxes and salt boxes become increasingly obsolete, and bearger bin seems to be the a good way to bring some sort of box-equivalent container into the game that can compete. I don't see any reason why we can't aim for the bearger bin to be a straight upgrade to the bundle wrap, considering:

1) It is still extremely expensive to mass produce.

2) It is super late-game compared to bundle wraps, which you can start using within even the first autumn.

3) Even with infinite preservation, bearger bin still wouldn't completely replace bundle wrap, considering bundle wrap supports much more than just cooked foods.

On 10/7/2023 at 12:05 AM, cybers2001 said:

3) Even with infinite preservation, bearger bin still wouldn't completely replace bundle wrap, considering bundle wrap supports much more than just cooked foods.

I've been so focused on the spoilage rate and difficulty of obtaining the Bearger Bin that I was overlooking the fact that it's limited to crockpot foods. Honestly I'd be fine with that if it was actually 0% spoilage, but wow that feels really bad in the current form. Straight downgrade from bundle.

Archived