Polar Bearger Bin should halt spoilage completely

The beager bin should halt spoilage completely. It's incredibly difficult to obtain compared to bundle wrap which can be rushed in the first autumn. It's also limited to _only_ storing crockpot dishes, which is fine. Late game items like this should be BiS, but the bin as it stands today is inferior to an item from 10 years ago for keeping food with you.

Edit: Adding some context from a comment further down the thread which illustrates precisely why bearger bin should be 0 spoilage.

To get a bearger bin, one must:

• Do enough of the ruins to get a star caller
  • Complete the moon stone event
  • Reactivate the archives
  • Sail the ocean to find pearl, the moon, and probably have to deal with monkey raids on the way
  • Complete the pearl quest
  • Kill crab king
  • Farm the moonstorms
  • Kill celestial champion

and then after all that, through the course of 1 in game year, the player must

• Kill deerclops
  • Kill zombie deerclops
  • Kill bearger
  • Kill zombie bearger
  • Find a varg and kill it
  • Kill zombie varg
  • Finally receive a spark arc
  • Revisit the archives to activate the spark arc

And finally, you can choose between 1 of 3 (well, 3 today, probably more in the future) extremely end game items. Compare that with the bundle wrap which requires you to

• Kill bee queen

The fact that bundle wraps have infinite spoilage and the bearger bin does not is incredibly backwards. It takes multiple in game years to obtain the bin and requires the player to overcome almost every challenge the game presents. On the other hand, bundle wrap can be obtained in the first few days of autumn if you feel like rushing it.

4 minutes ago, Fatkitty said:

I disagree. Takes up 1 slot in the inventory, but can store 6 items. If you don't want it to spoil, use bundling wraps. 

The problem is that now you're incentivized to take _both_ a bundling wrap and the bearger bin, and you end up with 1 less inventory slot as a result. 6 slots is neat but also unnecessary.

17 minutes ago, chaosmonkey said:

The beager bin should halt spoilage completely. It's incredibly difficult to obtain compared to bundle wrap which can be rushed in the first autumn. It's also limited to _only_ storing crockpot dishes, which is fine. Late game items like this should be BiS, but the bin as it stands today is inferior to an item from 10 years ago for keeping food with you.

On one hand, I would love to not have to worry about a crockpot for more than one year (240 meaty stews ~~ 480 days without hunger), but on the other, It would mean more than a year without interacting with one of the biggest parts of the game(cooking and managing food freshness).

4 minutes ago, chaosmonkey said:

The problem is that now you're incentivized to take _both_ a bundling wrap and the bearger bin, and you end up with 1 less inventory slot as a result. 6 slots is neat but also unnecessary.

Full spoilage halt or not I don't think carrying both the bin and bundles for Crock Pot recipes is any useful anyway. I'd rather go for a refill or switching recipes whenever needed and just leave bundles for stationary stocks or to carry other kind of spoiling items.

There's foods that you use only situationally like volt goat jelly, fish cordon bleu, etc. which you realistically wouldn't keep in a bearger bin since they would go bad well before you use them all. Plenty of players carry these in a bundle wrap, and it seems like the bin should be equally suitable.

I understand if you don't personally get value from it, but there's plenty of players that would.

To be honest foods with a buff are still worth it stale and spoiled unlike stats regen ones as it doesn’t affect the effect, they'll last quite long before you must restock… I see where you find it convenient but it's not much asked taking a moment to load it back after x seasons.

I don't really agree, as it stands I use bundles as little as possible. The constant bundling and unbundling is far too annoying, plus it requires I carry grass or rope with me. 

Bundles are great for storing long term Raw food materials but not much else imo. 

As for how long the portable fridge stores food... it's neat and a nice middle ground between bundles and fridges/salt boxes with ready to cook materials. I can see all of them suitably filling in for each other's weaknesses without step on each other's toes.

If the bearger bin's purpose was to replace bundle wrap in the inventory for food storage, it failed. It no doubt has some utility beyond the bundle wrap, but there's just no way I'm going to stop carrying a bundle wrap for food buffs when most of the stack would expire before being used.

If the bearger bin was supposed to grant more freedom for the player to leave base for more days, then offering work arounds like "go fill up the food buffs every couple seasons" is contrary to the goal of the bin, especially when this is already possible to avoid with bundle wraps.

10% spoilage rate vs 0% spoilage rate doesn't make a difference for most things one would want to store in a bin--you'll go through a stack of bacon and eggs well before it goes yellow. It only really helps for food buffs or foods that you only use very occasionally.

0% spoilage rate would actually be such a big QoL, but 10% means we are still juggling bundle wraps for infrequently used foods (whether that's in base or in your inventory).

8 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I don't really agree, as it stands I use bundles as little as possible. The constant bundling and unbundling is far too annoying, plus it requires I carry grass or rope with me. 

Same, my main uses of them are preserving infused moon shards and carrying more stuff from the Ancient Pseudoscience station. I rarely bundle food.

Another problem with them is that they don't show what's inside. If you take a break from that server, good luck remembering in which bundle you put your Pierogies.

36 minutes ago, chaosmonkey said:

There's foods that you use only situationally like volt goat jelly, fish cordon bleu, etc. which you realistically wouldn't keep in a bearger bin since they would go bad well before you use them all. Plenty of players carry these in a bundle wrap, and it seems like the bin should be equally suitable.

I understand if you don't personally get value from it, but there's plenty of players that would.

Volt goat jelly would last 100 days and fish cordon Bleu would last 80 days since your only really eatting them for their secondary effects you don't even need to worry about how spoiled they are unless your wickerbottom so 80-100 days is more than enough time. And if for some reason you need more at that point salt is a good option when combined with the fridge since it'll be worth a massive amount of days per salting.

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Volt goat jelly would last 100 days and fish cordon Bleu would last 80 days since your only really eatting them for their secondary effects you don't even need to worry about how spoiled they are unless your wickerbottom so 80-100 days is more than enough time. And if for some reason you need more at that point salt is a good option when combined with the fridge since it'll be worth a massive amount of days per salting.

salt spice adds to the HP value of the food but does not affect spoilage.

for your other points about spoilage time, it means that I cannot simply throw the stack of jelly, etc. I made into the bin. It means the stack needs to be split between bundles and the bin. That bundle could be at base or in my inventory. Moving food between a bundle and the bin doesn't add to the survival challenge, it's just a tedious task for no reason.

Just now, chaosmonkey said:

salt spice adds to the HP value of the food but does not affect spoilage.

I wasn't talking about the salt spice but salt itself which does effect spoilage.

1 minute ago, chaosmonkey said:

for your other points about spoilage time, it means that I cannot simply throw the stack of jelly, etc. I made into the bin. It means the stack needs to be split between bundles and the bin. That bundle could be at base or in my inventory. Moving food between a bundle and the bin doesn't add to the survival challenge, it's just a tedious task for no reason.

Why do you need to use the bundles for food at all when you have the bin?

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

Why do you need to use the bundles for food at all when you have the bin?

Because a stack of 40 jelly, or whatever else, will mostly go bad if it just sits in the bin. I'm only using a couple each year, and I prefer to cook in bulk.

1 hour ago, Valase said:

On one hand, I would love to not have to worry about a crockpot for more than one year (240 meaty stews ~~ 480 days without hunger), but on the other, It would mean more than a year without interacting with one of the biggest parts of the game(cooking and managing food freshness).

You already can do that with wraps.

While the change to make it never spoiling is debatable, I disagree on the notation that it is "bad" right now.

Barnacle/Leafy dishes are two good examples of dishes that got extremely strong thanks to the bin. These dishes usually have very good stat restoration, but were not too utilized because of how short their spoilage time of 6 days was. Them being bumped up to 60 gives them a lot of potential to be seen outside of combat situations, especially jelly salad as 50 sanity is extremely strong but was only reserved for heavy sanity fights as it practically uses all usefulness the moment it is stale, which took 3 days.

Even if you only want to use the bin to keep your hunger fed, you now have many options to keep yourself fed long term without needing to unpack a bundle every 5-10 days. You could realistically shove 20 meaty stews in the bin and be set for 2 seasons, or ~50 if you want to be set for a year and don't mind eating stale ones for 100 hunger. As I myself used to constantly eat honey, I decided to swap over to honey nuggets, as I can binge make ~140 before any of them go stale, and be set for an ingame year and get a small but appreciated sanity bonus if needed*. 

Heck, since most people usually keep jellybeans on them lategame, you could totally just use the bin as an excuse to keep them there and put any crockpot dishes in as a side effect. Warly's hot dragon chili salad comes to mind as I usually like to unbundle them for winter and then rebundle them 3 days into spring. I can now realistically take a full stack out and rebundle the rest with around 10% of freshness lost tops.

I think it has a lot of potential for conventional food on a year to year basis. Sure, buff foods might not be the best option for the bundle, but considering all the other things you can put in it, I don't think it's too bad.

*Yes I know I could have made honey ham but I went with nuggets because that was more silly to me

22 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

While the change to make it never spoiling is debatable, I disagree on the notation that it is "bad" right now.

Yeah this is fair. I am being a bit hyperbolic with some of my language. The bin definitely has some utility, and I can relate to it basically replacing my jelly bean slot and using it for my stack of food. I would just really like to get rid of my food bundle all together rather than carrying two items that serve a similar purpose.

3 hours ago, chaosmonkey said:

While I had the same thought about this item, I think Klei will not change it because they seem to dislike making items obsolete. They offer a plethora of choices for food storage, and everyone of it has some niche. Saltbox is 2x better than fridge but can't store cooked food, thus fridge is still has its use. For 0% spoilage over time we have bundle wraps, and while yes, it's not as convinient as this new bin due to rope tax, its niche is to provide complete spoilage halt. And this new bin can only store cooked food, you still need something to preserve the ingredients, so it doesn't comepletely overshadow any other available solutions, just takes another niche and provides endgame solution.

4 hours ago, chaosmonkey said:

Not to be a total Nancy, but where would you be going where you would need both a full bear bin and bundling wraps?

The reason I say nay is this us supposed to be an "uncompromising" survival game. Bundling wraps are pretty compromising already if you ask me. Adding another mechanic that makes the game more friendly is redundant. Imagine you filled a bearger bin with meaty stews, they stack at 40 right? 40x6x150. At a 75 hunger drain, that's 480 days of food for most survivors. You'd have to literally once for 75% of the game's player base entire world existence. 

I get where you're coming from but I think it adds cheese. 

I mean... I still like my time-freeze box idea.

Guys, the reason for bundle-wrapped foods still is not because of quantity of foods, but rather Warly-specific foods. A volt-goat jelly lasts 100 days in the bearger bin. Good for most things, but not great for volt-goat jelly. For example, one cooking session as Warly can last me 1000 days easily with the amount of volt-goat jelly and fish cordon-bleu I cook. Without bundle wraps, I would have to switch to Warly every single year to cook like 2-3 of each to use for that year.

IDK 

15 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

I mean... I still like my time-freeze box idea.

Guys, the reason for bundle-wrapped foods still is not because of quantity of foods, but rather Warly-specific foods. A volt-goat jelly lasts 100 days in the bearger bin. Good for most things, but not great for volt-goat jelly. For example, one cooking session as Warly can last me 1000 days easily with the amount of volt-goat jelly and fish cordon-bleu I cook. Without bundle wraps, I would have to switch to Warly every single year to cook like 2-3 of each to use for that year.

IDK About this.

The only Warly food I use is the spices, which I added to Jellybeans which never spoil, and the volt goat jelly occasionally to fight a wet toadstool. I just dont think any late stage worlds need infinite food preservation unless you want to fully cheese your world. 

Archived