Klei, how long are you going to try to ruin my base? And other suggestions

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

- I don’t want the entire world to burn, we have several ways of dealing with wildfires, and more continue to get added.. the one way that we SHOULDN’T be able to deal with them though is by offloading the map so nothing bad ever happens in the area your not loaded into.

_you clearly want to with your suggestion to let wildfire occuring through the entire map, and your console/ my pc irl. And now you said you don't want? And you clearly like unfair, horrible, unpredictable mechanics, what's with the backdown on this?

_Ice staff requires you to be close to the fire, Luxury fan requires you to be close to the fire, fire pump requires you to be close to the fire, watering can requires you to be close to the fire, wicker's fire book requires her to be close to the fire, scaled flooring is expensive af and only delays fire spread, not prevents it. Only the ice flingo actually protects your base. But it's expensive, eats a ton of fuel and have to be manually turned on. If you argument is to make it turn on whenever fire started immediately, what makes it different than lightning rod for fire then?

_okay, fine, the new eye crystaleyezer does pervent fire, but the range isn't that impressive, you have to farm a bunch of them, and it's easy to do so at all. You don't like killing bosses either so even more worms in the can.

_

7 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Content you can take steps to not engage with you have other options than just turning it off just as you have options to prevent griefers that aside are you really about to tell me content you can turn off isn't considered optional? Isn't that the very definition of optional content?

So short answer, yes, entire game is optional content. That's cool. Though some of us do want to experience the past year's worth of updates. If you're such a fan of turning off content, how about this as an actual, non-troll compromise:

• Hailstorms killing wildlife as a separate feature that can be turned on/off.
  • Rifts destroying non-renewable terrain objects as a separate feature that can be turned on/off.

19 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

So short answer, yes, entire game is optional content. That's cool. Though some of us do want to experience the past year's worth of updates. If you're such a fan of turning off content, how about this as an actual, non-troll compromise:

• Hailstorms killing wildlife as a separate feature that can be turned on/off.
  • Rifts destroying non-renewable terrain objects as a separate feature that can be turned on/off.

You mean the very same differences between Survival & Endless Mode?

If your not aware of what I mean, Grass Tufts will Renew overtime on Endless Mode, but In Survival Mode they are limited resource that can “eventually” perish.

I would naturally expect these harsher versions of these things to be “On” in Survival Mode (or Uncompromising/New Game+ Mode) and “Off” On Endless Mode.

1 hour ago, Spino43 said:

_you clearly want to with your suggestion to let wildfire occuring through the entire map, and your console/ my pc irl. And now you said you don't want? And you clearly like unfair, horrible, unpredictable mechanics, what's with the backdown on this?

_Ice staff requires you to be close to the fire, Luxury fan requires you to be close to the fire, fire pump requires you to be close to the fire, watering can requires you to be close to the fire, wicker's fire book requires her to be close to the fire, scaled flooring is expensive af and only delays fire spread, not prevents it. Only the ice flingo actually protects your base. But it's expensive, eats a ton of fuel and have to be manually turned on. If you argument is to make it turn on whenever fire started immediately, what makes it different than lightning rod for fire then?

_okay, fine, the new eye crystaleyezer does pervent fire, but the range isn't that impressive, you have to farm a bunch of them, and it's easy to do so at all. You don't like killing bosses either so even more worms in the can.

_

Flingos, Tree Canopy, Firepump, Watering Cans and the new Ice Crystaleyezer all protect against wildfires.

Only Lightning Rods & boat lightning Conductor protect against Spring Lightning Storms.

If your Flingos are fueled, and Off-Loaded from the map, then they should protect/prevent against off-loaded wildfires 

But simply exploiting the games limitations to leave an area so nothing bad ever happens there just feels like any and all current (or future) ways to deal with it are all pointlessly in-superior to just leaving the area so it off-loads.

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But simply exploiting the games limitations to leave an area so nothing bad ever happens there just feels like any and all current (or future) ways to deal with it are all pointlessly in-superior to just leaving the area so it off-loads.

not necessarily

for example, imagine you're making a volt goat farm when suddenly, the gates you left on the ground starts smoldering or something

you *could* unload the area, but that means resetting all your progress towards moving the volt goat into the pen (which usually takes a while depending on how good you are at pushing entities)

unloading things will never be the ultimatum of countering threats. it is admittedly effective, but it requires immediately stopping whatever it is you're doing so you can afk through whatever chaotic event is happening

also just bringing an ice staff everywhere would easily solve any fire issues

45 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Hailstorms killing wildlife as a separate feature that can be turned on/off.

Never said I needed this even agreed hp regen on the mobs would be a better solution my suggestion was that they'd regen hp when they sleep during their normal time or when their hp reached a certain threshold while not in combat.

46 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Rifts destroying non-renewable terrain objects as a separate feature that can be turned on/off.

I was one of the people who said rifts spawning destroying resources should be removed as it makes no sense from a gameplay perspective that when the lunar rift opens things get destroyed simply from being in range of the portal. I've also said we should make everything renewable this is what I mean by people not even understanding the stances they're arguing against.

As I've said before I'm not against solutions to end game survival so long as it's not a automaticly maintained solution that requires no player interaction my idea is that we advance to a new set of seasons that impact the world base included but it doesn't all have to be aimed at base just some of it as base is a large part of dst survival. I personally see no good reason to introduce new mechanics just to immediately give a finalized solution rather than using them to replace previous mechanics.

I believe the best solution is to slowly phase out the old seasons to make room for these new mechanics post rift. There's a base of player who want new harsher seasons but doesn't mean we all want it to be unfair. I get it noone wants to lose their base but it's not like we want to lose our bases either we don't play survival mode with the intention to die and we don't build our bases with the intention that it'll all be destroyed.

19 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

So my argument is bad because you feel forced to do optional content but your argument is sound because removing content somehow doesn't affect me? Do you realize how baffling that is? Preventing content from being has a much higher impact that you choosing to do optional content in one scenario both sides can play the way they want to in the other you take from one side to suit your own ends.

Are you just ignorant or can't see the difference? We are supposed to ignore a year + of updates and it isn't always even possible to do that unless you play alone.

This isn't optional and you are very disingenuous when you say that.

As per usual your stance is why should I compromise your should my enjoyment is top priority who cares if other people need to compromise for your own personal enjoyment afterall yours is the valid way to play right? Can't have content that goes against how you specifically want to play because your in charge I guess?

Have you really thought this out before typing it? My argument was about being forced to play single player yet you are deviating from the discussion and telling me that my stance is that I should play alone and it compromises your enjoyment when it has nothing to do with that.

DST is a multiplayer game at the end of the day and there will be really serious arguments between players that want rifts and those that don't and also there isn't much of a choice as everyone will be forced to activate them if they want to play new content for the next  year and klei will make it worthwhile to suffer though punishments/chores to get the new items.

Really please show me the setting that introduces new survival content oh wait it doesn't exist but you know what? You could alter the settings to remove the new content shocking how that works isn't  it?

There is no setting that adds new survival mechanics but you can still make your game much more difficult by tinkering with current settings and if that was really the point, why shouldn't klei just add settings that add chores that you love and for them to be toggled off by default and no one would complain.

Yep you clearly have the data to prove that but what can I expect from the person who was saying that survival players don't build a base, want a hellscape where things are exploding all the time, don't buy skins or use skins, and that Klei should ignore survival players because only the megabaser playerbase matters don't seem like you care for facts or realism in your arguments so what should I expect?

I don't have the data but I have common sense and experience over thousands of hours played on DST and you are really exaggerating. Megabase players get the most value out of skins and I can tell you for sure that megabasers have more skins as they play the game for much more usually and are obviously willing to spend more money if they get the value.

So specifically saying in both posts that it wasn't just aimed at your wasn't enough I mean you were also included I wasn't saying you weren't but I did want to clarify that you weren't the only one doing so.

Not really as you specifically quoted me and wrote that so that means thaat it was about me and you are spreading misinformation which you accuse me of doing on purpose.

Really now could you quote where that happened in this thread may have slipped my mind and no me explaining how the pillars debate went down when you lied isn't me trying to convince you.

Here it is, the discussion we had about pillars and you saying how it only affects megabasers, the first quote is my own that you quoted with the following reply. Do you really see survival players actually build megabases and use pillars? According to what you said that is what some of them do and use the dreadstone pillar where it actually does provide benefit to them when in reality this doesn't happen and even if there are some "survival" players that do that they are no longer survival players but megabasers.

On 10/1/2023 at 8:25 PM, 00petar00 said:

Rock pillar will outlast your entire survival run.

So when you say that you don't want permanent pillars to exist in the game, you purely want to make other players have worse experience, the ones that do play for thousands of days and it literally doesn't matter for your playstyle as you won't be using them.

On 10/1/2023 at 7:07 PM, Mysterious box said:

I really do love how every mechanic added is backed by ha it doesn't  effect you anyway only megabasers are actually effected by survival content am I right? Only a megabaser would be a large base clearly we can just condense everything we get over thousands days onto a single screen or two right? Oh wait or are you still thinking anyone playing this game as survival game doesn't build a base or use skins still?

Yep definitely you not pulling numbers out of thin air again just here to spite you apparently much like your arguments are only to spite anyone looking for survival content I guess.

So you are not going to use common sense and see how long rock pillars already last and when they get damaged from earthquake rock drops and you can repair it and it gets immunity for 10 earthquakes again. It literally has no impact on survival players and you are just making it up.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If your Flingos are fueled, and Off-Loaded from the map, then they should protect/prevent against off-loaded wildfires 

Even if you make all protection work off screen, you'd have to fill the entire map with them and constantly refuel them...... this is just too grindy. Is this of any fun to you?

4 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

There is no setting that adds new survival mechanics but you can still make your game much more difficult by tinkering with current settings and if that was really the point, why shouldn't klei just add settings that add chores that you love and for them to be toggled off by default and no one would complain.

Because when someone says they want to play a survival game you don't recommend them Kaizo Mario and say same difference right? That's insulting like ha ha you want more engaging seasons just set everything to lots there's your survival that's just plain disrespectful.

4 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Not really as you specifically quoted me and wrote that so that means thaat it was about me and you are spreading misinformation which you accuse me of doing on purpose.

You specifically said it's ok to bring up old events but that you shouldn't have to fact check how accurate what your saying about them meaning your willingly allowing yourself to spread misinformation on topics by bringing them up despite not knowing how valid what your saying is. If that isn't on purpose I don't know what is?

The rest of it I'm just going to drop because it's pointless debating you on it any further as all your doing is presenting your opinion as fact and backing it up with more opinions you present as fact it doesn't contribute to the beta and is really just a waste of time.

20 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

You specifically said it's ok to bring up old events but that you shouldn't have to fact check how accurate what your saying about them meaning your willingly allowing yourself to spread misinformation on topics by bringing them up despite not knowing how valid what your saying is. If that isn't on purpose I don't know what is?

I am just explaining that you are being a bit hypocritical as you have been so defensive about the situation where I misremembered about what you said and how I should educate myself or backtrack everything you said about a certain topic before mentioning it and yet you don't do that yourself.

Anyway this discussion is pretty much over and I don't want to continue about anything that doesn't have to do about the topic and game in general.

21 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

6- I don’t want the entire world to burn, we have several ways of dealing with wildfires, and more continue to get added.. the one way that we SHOULDN’T be able to deal with them though is by offloading the map so nothing bad ever happens in the area your not loaded into.

I learned the hard way that a some of "supposedly working" wildfire protection methods in DST simply don't work as intended. There's this boat craft called Fire Pump that doesn't extinguish any fires if your boat is moving when you operate the pump. Period. You have to first completely stop the boat, otherwise every single drop of water that emerges from the pump will miss its target, even if the boat is moving ever so slightly. By the time you stop the boat, half of it would be on fire. What a great solution to wildfires, I wonder who was it designed for. People who use boat for ocean exploration would probably just use watering cans to put out fires on a boat, or keep the boat empty, or opt to not sail in Summer at all (like many of my friends do if we play with wildfires on). People who build Ocean bases and have their boats still at all times would likely just use Ice flingomatics or Above Average Trees instead of this craft. Which brings me to the next frustrating wildfire protection experience.

You'd think that in the Oasis you are completely safe from the wildfires, and then you decide to slightly expand your base into the ocean. You step on the docks and notice that the sandstorm is gone. It's then very logical to assume that the docks you added around the Oasis are not safe from wildfires, and any structure you place there might burn. How great that we have these awesome canopy trees that protect you from the wildfires as well! You cover your entire dock area with those trees, spending multiple seasons getting them, planting them, waiting for them to grow, patiently enriching them several times. Finally they are tall and you are happy that you can now safely build on these docks as well! Only you can't. I discovered that while the canopy alone indeed does still protect everything under it from the wildfires, and Oasis desert still protects everything inside the sandstorm, if you put the two together you are still not protected from smoldering if you stand on the canopy side! I once had a base where a kitchen was built on the edge of the Oasis terrain and was fully covered by the sandstorm. As long as players stood in the sandstorm, nothing in that kitchen smoldered. But stepping 1 tile away into the dock area connected to that kitchen (fully covered by the Above Average Tree's canopy which also partially covered the kitchen) triggered smoldering in the kitchen, eventually setting ablaze structures in the connected dock area! There you are, two commonly advertised methods of dealing with wildfires applied together over the same build and after all the effort put into it they still don't do the job they are intended to do! And the worst part is that it can happen in the corner of your screen, out of your field of view. By the time you notice it, the fire is to big to put out with an ice staff, watering can or a luxury fan. When you put so much effort into protecting your builds from the wildfires and it still doesn't work, it's very frustrating and discouraging from even trying to use built in-game solutions given how flawed all of them are. And don't even get me started on ice flingomatics. The range is laughable and the constant upkeep is incredibly annoying when you get more than 4 in your base. 

Back on the topic of hail damaging pets, all the proposed "solutions" to keep pets and creatures safe from it are currently flawed as well. Umbralla's range is too small and even if you somehow manage to deploy asap  (which means you need to go close to the pen first to turn it on) the hail will still hurt animals while you are deploying it. It will slowly add up over time and kill them off eventually. And then what, you deployed an umbralla and are supposed to tell animals to just sit still under the umbralla's dome until it's over? They constantly wander around, they will just walk out of its range and you can't do anything about it. Cover your pen with more umbrallas and rush like an idiot to turn them all on around all your pens as soon as hail starts? By the time you turn them all on, your pets will take even more damage, and you will need to constantly check if umbralla's need repairing (which you can't tell while they are deployed). Above average trees are unreliable as well - even if you plant them as close as possible to the ocean, you only get 3 tiles protected on the land side. It would limit the size of your pens, otherwise they can still escape the canopy by wandering around. Also I tend to avoid building my animal pens close to the shore because pesky pengulls spawn and attack your walls for no reason, even if they are not in their way. So even relocating the pens close to the shore and protecting them with tree's canopy will solve the hail problem only until the next winter when pengulls inevitably break the walls and make animals escape their pens (and therefore the canopy protection). 

What about creatures that are not sitting in pens and are left to wander the world just to make it feel more natural and alive? I have tons of leftover Klaus deer roaming around, do I put ugly umbrallas over all biome to protect them? Or do I abandon the fight if I happened to face Klaus in that biome when a hail started, just so the animals don't die?

18 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

It's actually funny how much time is spent trying to insult people on these forums under the guise of being civil. Truly the most friendly of places to discuss dst.

I just ignored this whole thread, as nothing useful would come out of here.

6 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

Survivalist play some kind of dst version from another dimension where all of the stuff they make up in their mind is true

Consider the following: MegaBasers, only ever became MegaBasers because there was no new Survivalist challenges to challenge their Survival.

If we go by that logic- then it’s understandable why some of us actually WANT new content, WANT new weather seasons, and WANT new challenges that prevent (or at least severely hinder..) our ability to Re-Reach the “MegaBase” phase of the game.

When there is an extreme lack of survival content, and more importantly an extreme lack of content that makes it harder for me to reach that point- of course the only thing left to do is MegaBase.

Off-Topic other game comparison in spoiler:

Spoiler

I pre-ordered state of decay 2, an open world sandbox zombie survival game, and I was able to relatively easily conquer all of the games challenges and beat the game, for a very long time the game was just too easy, but recent updates have changed the game completely- Just the other day they added something called “Curveballs” which add a Randomized effect to the zombies inhabiting the game environment, for example: One of the curveballs have zombies that have glowing purple eyes Explode into funk that damages you when they’re killed.

This drastically changes the game because you now need to pay attention to the zombies that are around you and if they’re mutated for the curveball you can’t just do like you would’ve normally done and stab them with a melee weapon, instead you need to use ranged or avoid them..

This wasn’t some extra game mode, this wasn’t a harder difficulty setting, curveballs were added as any old patch update to increase the overall difficulty of the entire game.

I bring all of this up and I feel like it’s very relevant to DS/DST because when I Bought Shipwrecked I did not beat every single challenge there was to do in the Default RoG campaign, and I barely scratched the surface before buying Hamlet, why?? Because I wanted new challenges, I wanted New Gameplay..

And in the same light- I activate Rifts and New Content updates into DST earlier than “the intended way…” because I want to experience new world based gameplay content without having to have done every single thing prior to the new content.

I didn’t have to 100% RoG before buying Shipwrecked, and I didn’t have to 100% Shipwrecked before buying Hamlet. 

DST update schedule has been free updates to the base game because they did not want to separate their player base between who has DLC & Who Doesn’t, but just because Klei opts to add DLC Content as free updates- Doesn’t mean I should be required or even expected to complete everything prior to enjoying what should’ve been paid DLC.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Consider the following: MegaBasers, only ever became MegaBasers because there was no new Survivalist challenges to challenge their Survival.

some people like using more creative mediums like this to express their artistic choices (me)

i dont even megabase the majority of the time, i just like spending resources and time making a pretty little base that i can be proud of :>

On 10/3/2023 at 5:11 PM, Mike23Ua said:

You mean the very same differences between Survival & Endless Mode?

If your not aware of what I mean, Grass Tufts will Renew overtime on Endless Mode, but In Survival Mode they are limited resource that can “eventually” perish.

I would naturally expect these harsher versions of these things to be “On” in Survival Mode (or Uncompromising/New Game+ Mode) and “Off” On Endless Mode.

I mean more like naturally occuring boulders, spikey trees, marble structures, etc.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you're saying that nobody starts out as a megabaser, then... yes, that is most likely true. I can't imagine any of us hopped into the game with zero knowledge aside from knowing that large bases is a thing. However, the fact that megabasing is a thing is what turned this from a fun game I like playing occasionally to one of my all time favorite games. I do like the addition of more survival content, but I like it moreso as an excuse to continue playing the game and living in the megabase I meticulously crafted to live in.

I don't megabase as an excuse to pass the time between updates. I use the updates as an excuse to expand and refresh my megabase.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If we go by that logic- then it’s understandable why some of us actually WANT new content, WANT new weather seasons, and WANT new challenges that prevent (or at least severely hinder..) our ability to Re-Reach the “MegaBase” phase of the game.

When there is an extreme lack of survival content, and more importantly an extreme lack of content that makes it harder for me to reach that point- of course the only thing left to do is MegaBase.

Off-Topic other game comparison in spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

I pre-ordered state of decay 2, an open world sandbox zombie survival game, and I was able to relatively easily conquer all of the games challenges and beat the game, for a very long time the game was just too easy, but recent updates have changed the game completely- Just the other day they added something called “Curveballs” which add a Randomized effect to the zombies inhabiting the game environment, for example: One of the curveballs have zombies that have glowing purple eyes Explode into funk that damages you when they’re killed.

This drastically changes the game because you now need to pay attention to the zombies that are around you and if they’re mutated for the curveball you can’t just do like you would’ve normally done and stab them with a melee weapon, instead you need to use ranged or avoid them..

This wasn’t some extra game mode, this wasn’t a harder difficulty setting, curveballs were added as any old patch update to increase the overall difficulty of the entire game.

I bring all of this up and I feel like it’s very relevant to DS/DST because when I Bought Shipwrecked I did not beat every single challenge there was to do in the Default RoG campaign, and I barely scratched the surface before buying Hamlet, why?? Because I wanted new challenges, I wanted New Gameplay..

And in the same light- I activate Rifts and New Content updates into DST earlier than “the intended way…” because I want to experience new world based gameplay content without having to have done every single thing prior to the new content.

I didn’t have to 100% RoG before buying Shipwrecked, and I didn’t have to 100% Shipwrecked before buying Hamlet. 

DST update schedule has been free updates to the base game because they did not want to separate their player base between who has DLC & Who Doesn’t, but just because Klei opts to add DLC Content as free updates- Doesn’t mean I should be required or even expected to complete everything prior to enjoying what should’ve been paid DLC.

So... I kinda get what you mean, well I completely understand your point. 

You see though, we all want new content, of course. But this seems to be a nebulous concept for you RE: megabasing. 

I've had worlds where, usually down to having a few people in the server, I've megabased within the first autumn (Obviously it's not built straight away, but i'll set up the turfs/deco etc etc). I've had worlds where i'll blast through the content and then megabase. Usually though, I'll seek out content when i need a thing - I wanted the new turfs from COTL so in my current world I made sure to focus on antlion in the first summer (I usually can't be bothered unless i want the turf raiser).

Mike get a PC! I've seen your love for setting up graveyards and other little areas, most of the time people don't make big sprawling cities or anything, I had a lot of fun making a Koalephant park with friends, we made it look amazing and it was really cute - I'd love to have you on my servers, i'm not so good at the spooky side, I tend to plop a few Totally Normal Trees and go 'Ta-daaaa' :P 

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I understand, but from your personal experience, dont you think you are missing out on the challenges that the game provides you like literally all of the bosses like fw and cc? Why want more challenge when getting there legally is a challenge?

I have a game save with 1294 days in it, and most of the time I've been playing alone. I've invested a lot of time into this save, so it's unlikely for me to start a new one. I've been playing with this save on the beta servers for days now, and I think the new boss is manageable. Getting a Spark Ark a year is acceptable since I might only need a Howlitzer and a Bearger Bin. Multiplayer server might be a bit troublesome

However, the Lunar Hail is too annoying. Most areas of my base and many farms are covered in waterlog. Except for the Varg farm and Voltgoat farm, I'll have to spend a lot of time rebuilding these farms if the Lunar Hail in the official servers is the same as in the beta. Encountering Lunar Hail in the wild field would force me to keep running to avoid getting hit and losing my health. If I happen to need to pick up items or chop down trees during that time, I'll be left with nothing to do. Additionally, if I'm in a boss fight, I'll have to deal with both the boss and the Lunar Hail, which is much more frustrating than Frog Rain. At least Frog Rain could help me fight the boss.

Reflecting on Klei's recent updates, I feel a bit conflicted. After defeating the Ancient Fuelweaver and Celestial Champion, players can choose to activate the rifts. Theoretically, it's meant to encourage players to play longer in a single save file. However, the recent updates seem more like an attempt to undo players' long-term effort into their saves. The Lunar Hail makes me feel more bored than disappointed

These words were translated by AI

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

I understand, but from your personal experience, dont you think you are missing out on the challenges that the game provides you like literally all of the bosses like fw and cc? Why want more challenge when getting there legally is a challenge?

Pretty simple really, those “bosses” that you claim are part of the challenge to getting there are for the most part: Stationary & completely optional encounters, you only fight them when your fully prepared to deal with them..

Meanwhile the content that fighting those bosses actually unlocks is GLOBAL Content that changes up entire parts of the constant and the world you explore.

Personally I break the gameplay of DST up into about 5 different categories.

Theres the Gathering Category and thus the Gathering Characters Playstyle. Maxwell & Woodie.

Theres the Cooking & Farming Category for characters like Warly, Wormwood & Wickerbottom.

Theres the Combat Category for Boss fights such as Wigfrid & Wolfgang.

Theres the Base Building Category for characters like Webber & Wurt.

And the there’s the World Exploration category for characters like Wendy & Wickerbottom.

Some of these characters Overlap in areas of content but Wicker belongs in both the Farming, and the Exploration Category due to needing to quest all over the constant to craft her entire book collection, and then there’s the ability to quickly grow crops etc..

Just like choosing a favorite character that fits your particular Playstyle, How you play DST is broken up into these same categories.

Maybe I actually DONT want to fight high health raid bosses that are stationary in one area and summoned only when I’m good and ready  & prepared to fight them..

Maybe my type of content is instead exploring a cave system when it starts raining acid rain and I’m highly underprepared & its quickly eating away at the football helmet I’m wearing, and then to top that off.. Ink Blights spawn in to the world at the most inopportune time to do so.. so now I have to choose if I wear armor to protect from the ink trio, wear umbrella to protect from the acid rain- or just high tail it outta there to live another day and come back when the area has “maybe?” Calmed back down a bit.

Could you imagine if your favorite types of content was locked behind content you don’t actually enjoy or care to play???

Its like playing a FPS game & somewhere in the middle for no reason whatsoever you have to win a match of Tetris before you can get back to the action you love.

(Tetris is & has always been awesome.. but I’m using it as an hopefully relatable example of pretending your forced to interact with content you dislike before you can get back to the part of the game you actually enjoy.)

My favorite part of Arkham Knight for example was the Stealth Predator segments, and I hated with extreme passion the Bat-Tank battle segments.

2 hours ago, Clarence Ho said:

I have a game save with 1294 days in it, and most of the time I've been playing alone. I've invested a lot of time into this save, so it's unlikely for me to start a new one. I've been playing with this save on the beta servers for days now, and I think the new boss is manageable. Getting a Spark Ark a year is acceptable since I might only need a Howlitzer and a Bearger Bin. Multiplayer server might be a bit troublesome

However, the Lunar Hail is too annoying. Most areas of my base and many farms are covered in waterlog. Except for the Varg farm and Voltgoat farm, I'll have to spend a lot of time rebuilding these farms if the Lunar Hail in the official servers is the same as in the beta. Encountering Lunar Hail in the wild field would force me to keep running to avoid getting hit and losing my health. If I happen to need to pick up items or chop down trees during that time, I'll be left with nothing to do. Additionally, if I'm in a boss fight, I'll have to deal with both the boss and the Lunar Hail, which is much more frustrating than Frog Rain. At least Frog Rain could help me fight the boss.

Reflecting on Klei's recent updates, I feel a bit conflicted. After defeating the Ancient Fuelweaver and Celestial Champion, players can choose to activate the rifts. Theoretically, it's meant to encourage players to play longer in a single save file. However, the recent updates seem more like an attempt to undo players' long-term effort into their saves. The Lunar Hail makes me feel more bored than disappointed

These words were translated by AI

Preach!

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Its like playing a FPS game & somewhere in the middle for no reason whatsoever you have to win a match of Tetris before you can get back to the action you love.

What.....?

Could you imagine if your favorite types of content was locked behind content you don’t actually enjoy or care to play???

What...? Play a different game then dude. 

My favorite part of Arkham Knight for example was the Stealth Predator segments, and I hated with extreme passion the Bat-Tank battle segments.

More batman references, what a surprise!

Some of these characters Overlap in areas of content but Wicker belongs in both the Farming, and the Exploration Category due to needing to quest all over the constant to craft her entire book collection, and then there’s the ability to quickly grow crops etc..

All characters can engage in all content, some are just better or excel in areas. Everyone can do more or less everything though.

completely optional encounters,

Not if you want to actually progress, get better at the game and get their valuable drops. 

Just like choosing a favorite character that fits your particular Playstyle, How you play DST is broken up into these same categories.

Not really.. I'm sure some wormwood players love the heat of battle, some Wigfrids love to farm (me) etc etc. Some people pick their characters based purely off their aesthetic or quotes or whatever. I think you'll find the majority of players engage in all content the game has to offer and don't only engage with select elements of the game and ignore the rest. I know there are some players who avoid combat and bosses but they're pretty rare.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Stationary & completely optional encounters, you only fight them when your fully prepared to deal with them..

Which is exactly the same for rift mobs. Brightshades are literally stationary, the new mutated bosses are also optional. Ink blights only spawn when you go near a fissure, fused shadelings are territorial.

I think what you want is something similar to Aporkalypse from Hamlet, Ancient Herald popping up out of nowhere constantly etc etc.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

exploring a cave system when it starts raining acid rain and I’m highly underprepared & its quickly eating away at the football helmet I’m wearing, and then to top that off.. Ink Blights spawn in to the world at the most inopportune time to do so.. so now I have to choose if I wear armor to protect from the ink trio, wear umbrella to protect from the acid rain- or just high tail it outta there to live another day and come back when the area has “maybe?” Calmed back down a bit.

This sounds like a masochist simulator to me, if you just want to suffer I'm afraid DST is not the game. Players have always been able to concour whatever danger is thrown at them, so do the rift content.

Pretty simple really, those “bosses” that you claim are part of the challenge to getting there are for the most part: Stationary & completely optional encounters, you only fight them when your fully prepared to deal with them..

Didn't you complain like 2 days ago that DST throws bosses at you and you're forced to fight them? A lazy troll is a boring troll :p

Theres the Gathering Category and thus the Gathering Characters Playstyle. Maxwell & Woodie.

Oh honey, Max and Woodie are extremely capable fighters

2 hours ago, _zwb said:

Which is exactly the same for rift mobs. Brightshades are literally stationary, the new mutated bosses are also optional. Ink blights only spawn when you go near a fissure, fused shadelings are territorial.

I think what you want is something similar to Aporkalypse from Hamlet, Ancient Herald popping up out of nowhere constantly etc etc.

This sounds like a masochist simulator to me, if you just want to suffer I'm afraid DST is not the game. Players have always been able to concour whatever danger is thrown at them, so do the rift content.

DST is a suffering simulator depending on what world settings you have toggled on/off. If you’ve never played worlds that are locked to permanent 24/7 Summer with Wildfires toggled to happening more frequently, then you don’t really have any say in My personal experiences with the game. And it’s funny.. because of the various different things you can turn on/off, More/Less.. you have absolutely no idea what someone’s “PlayStyle” even is..

Maybe some people enjoy Lights Out Mode, while others enjoy Wilderness settings- You don’t know.

3 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

More batman references, what a surprise!

All characters can engage in all content, some are just better or excel in areas. Everyone can do more or less everything though.

Not if you want to actually progress, get better at the game and get their valuable drops. 

Not really.. I'm sure some wormwood players love the heat of battle, some Wigfrids love to farm (me) etc etc. Some people pick their characters based purely off their aesthetic or quotes or whatever. I think you'll find the majority of players engage in all content the game has to offer and don't only engage with select elements of the game and ignore the rest. I know there are some players who avoid combat and bosses but they're pretty rare.

I’ll reference whatever the hell I feel is extremely relevant at the time, and in this case Arkham Knight is an EXCELLENT example to compare to DST because… the First Two Arkham Games only featured content I loved, that being combat, stealth, & detective puzzles. But when the third game in the franchise came around they crammed the batmobile in your face in every area of the game it didn’t even belong in.. (including boss battles)

KLEI has done the same thing with the Dont Starve Franchise- I loved Solo DS and its DLCs for new global map wide challenges, seasons, weather hazards & mobs.

DST throws in a hundred different multiplayer group centric raid bosses and then locks the actual Global map changing content the part of the game I enjoy.. behind doing high health raid bosses I Don’t Enjoy.

Archived