Mechanics Brainstorms

This is a brainstorm topic for game mechanics that could be added with a update or new character.

Might be helpfull resource for modders or devs. Or just be fun for reading.

I will go first;

• Control mechanic: With kind of hat or a item, player could control mobs and do certain things with them. For example: like with a brain control hat, player could put one of them to a mob, one of them to theirself and could go into a trance (Similiar to sleeping). So player could take control of a mob and do certain things. This could be a character perk or new game mechanic.
  • Lost seeds: Player could find forgotten seeds in dangerous places, which only could be obtainable that way.
  • Effecting pets/minnion with lunar/shadow: I mentioned that in a post. Similiar to how chester could be turned into variations, Beefalos or Merms (With wurt) should be turnable into variants.

1 hour ago, Karitha said:

Control mechanic: With kind of hat or a item, player could control mobs and do certain things with them. For example: like with a brain control hat, player could put one of them to a mob, one of them to theirself and could go into a trance (Similiar to sleeping). So player could take control of a mob and do certain things. This could be a character perk or new game mechanic.

Actually a interesting alternative with a similar idea would be making a hat that lets you call your followers back as well as a additional marking function that would make followers focus on a specific task regardless of outside sources like being attacked. This would be useful in certain scenarios where the ai is given specific problems like how pigs and merms stop chopping when whipped by a poison birch despite it being the only way for them to harm it and help followers in general stay more focused in fights like Klaus or Dragonfly.

I may be in the minority vote here but I want some new gameplay mechanics that impact the actual game world and how we interact with it.

For example sometime way back ago there was a “Glitch” where when players would hit a Juicy Berry Bush the Berries would hilariously slide across the ground as if they were on Ice.

If anyones played Carto, Spelunky, or even Fortnite, sliding across ice is pretty common in those games it would make for an interesting new type of Turf/Weather Hazard for something like a Frozen Iced over Tundra.

I Also think something like Spelunky 2’s Egyptian level where the players sink into quicksand when standing still would be pretty unique, something that just breaks up the same old repetitive way we interact with the world..

I’d like to the Ocean & Caves get a complete overhaul in how content is generated and how we engage with it.

We could get a forge themed island similar to Shipwreckeds volcano (please be big and actually full of interesting content…) 

The small islands like Moon Quay are boring, and it breaks my heart that I couldn’t have a Moon Quay themed area the size of Lunar Island or even the Swamp biome of the main inland area.

It would be so cool if each island had sort of its own eco-system, resources, mobs, hazards, weather patterns etc..

In short I just want massive changes that shake up the gameplay.

On the topic of manipulating mobs, I'd love a structure resembling a pedestal that mimics the "smell" of a given item, causing creatures attracted to said item to go towards it until it's been touched by one. It would be great for farming Pigs, Bunnymen and such without the risk of losing the bait it's used on them.

Different crops on lunar island. Lunar counterparts of normal crops. Most of them should gain sanity, some should dmg hp and hunger.

Also maybe carrots grows into carrats, so giant carrots into giant carrats you can domesticate and ride!

(More animals to ride would be appreciated too)

4 hours ago, bloopah said:

It would be great for farming Pigs, Bunnymen and such without the risk of losing the bait it's used on them

Because baits for those mobs are sooo hard to come by and so difficult to replace?

I'd rather the devs use their time and resources to make the game more immersive with new mechanics for seasons after the 1st year

6 hours ago, Karitha said:

• Control mechanic: With kind of hat or a item, player could control mobs and do certain things with them. For example: like with a brain control hat, player could put one of them to a mob, one of them to theirself and could go into a trance (Similiar to sleeping). So player could take control of a mob and do certain things. This could be a character perk or new game mechanic

This reminds me of the Enchanter class from Everquest1.
They were able to cast Charm Spells on Mobs which causes a Mob to become the Enchanters Pet for 8 minutes
They were able to cast Mesmerize Spells on Mobs which causes a Mob to stand still in a daze for a minute. This was useful for CC to avoid being overwhelmed. 
They were able to cast Fear Spells on Mobs which cause Mobs to run around aimlessly in Fear for a minute. 
They were able to cast Mana Regeneration Buff, in DST that would basically be Sanity Regeneration Buff
They were able to cast many Illusions on Players and Mobs that gave them the appearance of other objects and races in the game
They were able to cast a debuff on Mobs to slow their attack speed
They were able to cast a buff on Players to quicken their attack speed
Many other useful utility spells, the class was mostly a Support type

It's my favorite class from any video game I've played. I'd be glad to see a "Enchanter" Character added. 

16 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Because baits for those mobs are sooo hard to come by and so difficult to replace?

I'd rather the devs use their time and resources to make the game more immersive with new mechanics for seasons after the 1st year

Because some baits you want to use in crafting/Crock Pot sooner than placing them somewhere? Because in some farm designs the bait has a risk of immediately being erased from existence due to a mob sliding through Statue-based walls?

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Agreed, something that lets you take control of a mob seems overly complex without that much of a payoff. Really niche thing that I don't see being more practical than doing something yourself. I'd prefer the devs focus on more interesting and engaging mechanics than something that's a bit gimmicky.

Just now, Catteflyterpill said:

Agreed, something that lets you take control of a mob seems overly complex without that much of a payoff. Really niche thing that I don't see being more practical than doing something yourself. I'd prefer the devs focus on more interesting and engaging mechanics than something that's a bit gimmicky.

He was replying to my idea of a bait mimic, not Karitha's mob control one.

The control idea is cool.

I really want klei to release more characters.

Maybe a new ghost/lunar gestalt/shadow creature character that requires you to possess mobs to interact with the world. So if you want to chop trees you could possess a pig but you also enhance the pig you possess allowing you to hold weapons. You could possess a bee to enter hives to collect honey from them. Possess a merm for high speed and to join wurts army lol.

Have your own spooky inventory that never changes but the mob you possess also has its own inventory (acting like a backpack) that changes size depending on the possessed mob.

You would have to rework all 3 core stats for this character in ghosty form and that could lead to more crazy ideas. 

This ghost character could craft "boss dolls" using loot dropped from bosses, like make a mini dfly doll using scales that you can possess for a limited time to play as dfly for abit.

Edit: to maintain possession of a mob you would have to eat food that the mob can eat, merms need veg, pigs eat everything, bees need flowers, spiders need meat, bunnymen need carrots etc.. mobs like clockworks need to "sleep" to recharge possession as they are always found sleeping.

Let rot rot!

Give rot staleness just like other perishables. When rot rots, it disappears and fertilizes all the crops in the same soil/tile (or vicinity, whichever has lower burden on the server) (but on manmade tiles such as wooden floor, it doesn't fertilize plants nearby).

Rot will not rot in chest or backpack.

This new feature requires no extra mechanics to be coded and can happen right away.

Floral decoration kit.

Decorating Lureplants grant access to their inventory and turn them into trash can. You can get stuff in and out of it and lureplants will slowly disappear whatever is in their inventory.

The decoration is similar to Webber's decoration kit but different recipe. Once decorated, no eyes will spawn.

1 minute ago, goatt said:

Floral decoration kit.

snip

This should definetly be an item for Wormwood. Beyond what he retained from Hamlet and being a walking Premier Gardeneer Hat he doesn't have much going for him.

Hot take: Swimming.

Swimming tries to solve 3 major problems:

1. Drowning

When your boat break and you drown, you get instantly teleported to shore. That's bad (I can't find proper words to describe it).

Have you been blocked by lureplants on boat and kicked off boat and drown right next to land? Swimming can solve that.

Have you been buckled off by beefalo when it's jumping between boat and land and drown? Swimming can solve that.

(Unfortunately, all of them have happened to me multiple times!)

With swimming, it's a new survival mechanics. In swimming mode

Spoiler

- wetness always 100% (you can get 100% on land, you can definitely get 100% in water) along with all its side effects such as dropping body temperature and sanity drain)

- movement speed is reduced to 1/3 of that on land.

- hunger drains faster because swimming burns lots of calories.

Can you swim across small rivers on the mainland? Yes, you can! Why not? The downsides can justify it.

Swimming also makes it meaningful for boats to have planks.

2. Ignoring Ocean entities.

How often are you distracted by flowers, butterflies, berry bushes? You stop at them and just start to interact with them. That's the fun of foraging!

But on ocean, you see kelp and you ignore it, you see seeds and you ignore it, you see ocean debris and you ignore it. It's because it takes so much energy to do such basic things that you'd rather ignore it.

You only pick up some kelps that are on the path of your sail. You see all the plants are picked around portal and portal area is barren if you joined on day 2 in pub. But everything in ocean is pretty much untouched by anyone.

Swimming can solve ocean foraging problem and encourage players to interact with ocean objects.

We know swimming has big downsides. So we need swimming suit!

Swimming suit

Spoiler

All body gears serve as a swimming suit. Including grass suits, log suits, vests, etc.. They increase movement speed in water to 2/3 of walking speed and reduce swimming-related wetness to 60%.

Body gears made of minerals such as marble suits and thulecite suits make swimming harder, slowing down player moving speed to 1/4 from 1/3. Any headwear also slows down swimming speed. holding oars speed up swimming speed by a little bit.

In addition, there will be a new item: Ocean Swimming Vest.

- it's heavy on land like a marble suit, which slows down walking speed by 10% on land

- it's floating on water, which speeds up swimming speed to 75% of regular walking speed.

- it has 120 insulation to protect players from freezing water.

- swimming-related wetness is capped at 40%.

Crafting recipe? I don't know. Maybe

- mosquito sack x10.

- rope x3.

- drift wood x3.

People can travel darkness by flashing torch once every 10 seconds. People should be able to travel in water without boats with significant downsides. Instead of removing swimming (or walking on water) completely, swimming should be allowed with significant downsides.

To encourage people explore darkness, the cost of entering AND EXITING AND DO CHORE in darkness should be low. In order to encourage people explore ocean, the cost of entering AND EXITING AND DO CHORES in ocean should be low. I understand boats are the way to go, but the game shouldn't force the boat mechanics onto players. The mechanics aren't popular, to be honest. People do minimal boats just to get by.

Darkness is also undesirable. But people are ok with it. Because they can survive darkness even without light. In ocean, you get drowned and invited out of ocean. There is no struggle for players to experience, only punishment.

3. Stuck on ocean.

If you run out of oars by accidentally, you can swim around to get more driftwood or swim back to shore.

Swimming animation

Similar to hounds swimming. Just leave character head on the water and make the rest of the body invisible, with a splash of water.

Fighting while swimming.

should be possible. But with downside of slow movement speed, no body armor. Helmet slows down swimming speed further. And constant sanity and body temperature drain. Also wetness losing weapons.

Spearing fish while swimming

should be possible with a small success rate. The method should be similar to baiting gobblers which are attracted by baits. Otherwise, fish run away from swimming players.

Anyways, I wrote this as I went. So I don't really have a comprehensive idea of swimming. But I think ocean as currently is, is lacking compared to darkness travel. A short distance travel method that simplifies simple tasks such as picking a kelp, is urgently needed.

In my writing, I made swimming condition very harsh just to make boats look more desirable. But in my honest opinion, swimming won't replace boats. Boats are a moving land, and swimming is about short distance travel similar to traveling in winter without heat but with a torch burning trees every 10 steps away. This won't replace boats, but can complement what boats lack.

I always wanted a forging mechanic for weapons and armor, like an anvil and hammer where you could combine different types of material and build your own weapon with different speed, damage, durability and weight to it, a grindstone to restore some weapon durability but damage the maximum durability. I even drew this a couple months ago for a possible mod but scrapped it. Working on something "similar" though...

Anvil.png.970dfd32b618033b7a495db7f90dd60c.png

More things related to survival like different containers for specific crafting materials, baskets, pots, barrels, crates, racks, shelves, hatstands...

A table like the stage hand but where you can place anything on top for decoration, ANYTHING.

More rideable monsters, c'mon, they all have the same "skeleton". Koalefants, Vargs, Ewecus, Grassgators... I'm surprised I have never seen anyone make a mod out of this.

2 hours ago, Kur0u said:

More rideable monsters, c'mon, they all have the same "skeleton". Koalefants, Vargs, Ewecus, Grassgators... I'm surprised I have never seen anyone make a mod out of this.

I wouldn't say it's surprising. They do share a common skeleton but they are all still animated differently! A mod would need to create ALL of the animations related to domestication for each of these existing creatures and their minute differences and that would be quite hellish! It's not impossible, but the visual task is certainly not as simple as you're making it out to be.

2 hours ago, Kur0u said:

More things related to survival like different containers for specific crafting materials, baskets, pots, barrels, crates, racks, shelves, hatstands...

Bro i love this. Id love for a backpack that was used in your handslot. Itd be great for winter/summer to let you use chest slot clothing

5 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Definitely not high priority but I want Deer Domestication so badly. Gem diversification could make it really mechanically modular. 

Ever since the Gem deer were first leaked from before they were added, I've always wanted to be able to have my own. They're my favorite mobs design wise and I love the gem ones so-so-so much.
I even tried a Nightmare/Ruins themed one for a mod a while back, I'd love to have extra gem variants!
deer_ruins.png

3 hours ago, Hornete said:

I wouldn't say it's surprising. They do share a common skeleton but they are all still animated differently! A mod would need to create ALL of the animations related to domestication for each of these existing creatures and their minute differences and that would be quite hellish! It's not impossible, but the visual task is certainly not as simple as you're making it out to be.

Quick question here but why does ANYTHING besides a Beefalo need a Domestication process? I mean.. the Beefalo Bell almost lets you skip the whole domestication part and just slap a saddle on his back and ride.

I figure Grass Gators could be an Instant-Tame, like ringing the Beefalo bell in a Beefalos ear, it becomes “bonded” to you I really don’t think every animal NEEDS a domestication process..

Its easier teach a dog how to do tricks then it is to teach a horse, etc..

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Quick question here but why does ANYTHING besides a Beefalo need a Domestication process? I mean.. the Beefalo Bell almost lets you skip the whole domestication part and just slap a saddle on his back and ride.

Well, not everything actually needs one, though I think Hornet's main point was that making a tame-able mob, even as simple as a 'click-and-tame' one would still be quite a lot of work. Like, at least this much; [                    ]!

Despite looking like they all use the same animations, or similar, they still would need animation overhauls to allow for players to ride them!

Archived