Krampus Sack vs Insulated pack

I very rarely use krampus sack tbh. Very useful for specific things such as gathering wood/mining, carrying equipment for battle for yourself/your team etc etc but I much prefer my portable fridge, assuming I haven't yet gotten bundle wraps.

If I have bundle wraps I like using seasonal items for my chest area.

Wait, y'all really use the insulated pack?  I mean, I never get the Krampus sack so I can't say I prefer that instead, but like I never make the insulated pack either...

I use a backpack mostly, a piggy pack if I'm taming a beef, and sometimes armor or gear to handle temp depending on the situation.

Both. Or, in my case, it's more like piggyback and insulated pack, since I'm not fan of grinding for sack. If I get it in loot stash - I'll use krampus sack instead of piggyback, but I'm not going to cry over 2 extra inventory slots since 12 slots it plenty for what I use piggyback, and -10% speed is usually negated by beefalo in my case; in the fight on foot I usually use body armor anyway (but just dropping is also works in 99% of cases).

Piggyback/krampus sacks are good for early game exploration, ruins clearing, getting materials for multiple CC fights without returning to any sort of base, moving base from one place to the other, storing items there instead of chests in more compact way (especially bundled seeds, bundled farming products, minisigns to mark all of this; another use is for tools and other non-stackable objects like clothing).

Insulated pack is good for mass-cooking (especially for Warly), for tasks that have perishable loot (like clearing killer bee biome, swamp, doing moonstorms (to hold moongleams), for farming to immediately store both seeds and crops in place that reduces spoil rate (before bundling), for mass-harvesting barnacles), it's especially good for Warly in daily life and in general helps everyone to cut rope usage in half in bundle wrap utilization or - prior to bundles - to prolong time one can use crock pot food on trips outside of base. Whenever task I'm doing doesn't require that much inventory slots I'm going to use insulated pack. It's nice for ruins clearing as well for people who prefer ham bat for that, but since I tend to use dark swords, I don't benefit from extra days of ham bat above 50 damage threshold anyway. Another use case is when I need to move loot from sailing from boat to base and plan to continue sailing: in that case instead of heating thermal stone and loosing durability of it after I'd rather use sunfish in insulated pack and bring everything I want to base.

I find regular backpacks useful for storage at base and key locations like pseudoscience station even after obtaining upgraded backpacks. It's especially convenient for those who ride beefalos since it can be accessed without dismounting, as well as for everyone who doesn't want to dedicate multiple chests and vast amount of space to store things like turf, nightmare fuel, thulecite, basic materials, ornaments, etc. Especially if one plans to move base a bit later, or at least reorganize storage, to spend supply and never really use container for storage again. Backpacks plus is that they are really cheap. By the way, in single player I like that I can just carry grass and twigs and craft new backpack for picking extra loot after being wereWilba.

insulated pack slows food spoilage

krampus sack with the extra space alone will let you hold bundles of food, rope to rebundle food, and a weapon + armour + light source.

of course you need a 1%/10% drop chance item on top of needing the bundle recipe which is another rare drop from klaus or kill bee queen, arguably the 3rd hardest raid boss (crab > fw > bq imo)

2 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

Both. Or, in my case, it's more like piggyback and insulated pack, since I'm not fan of grinding for sack. If I get it in loot stash - I'll use krampus sack instead of piggyback, but I'm not going to cry over 2 extra inventory slots since 12 slots it plenty for what I use piggyback, and -10% speed is usually negated by beefalo in my case; in the fight on foot I usually use body armor anyway (but just dropping is also works in 99% of cases).

Piggyback/krampus sacks are good for early game exploration, ruins clearing, getting materials for multiple CC fights without returning to any sort of base, moving base from one place to the other, storing items there instead of chests in more compact way (especially bundled seeds, bundled farming products, minisigns to mark all of this; another use is for tools and other non-stackable objects like clothing).

Insulated pack is good for mass-cooking (especially for Warly), for tasks that have perishable loot (like clearing killer bee biome, swamp, doing moonstorms (to hold moongleams), for farming to immediately store both seeds and crops in place that reduces spoil rate (before bundling), for mass-harvesting barnacles), it's especially good for Warly in daily life and in general helps everyone to cut rope usage in half in bundle wrap utilization or - prior to bundles - to prolong time one can use crock pot food on trips outside of base. Whenever task I'm doing doesn't require that much inventory slots I'm going to use insulated pack. It's nice for ruins clearing as well for people who prefer ham bat for that, but since I tend to use dark swords, I don't benefit from extra days of ham bat above 50 damage threshold anyway. Another use case is when I need to move loot from sailing from boat to base and plan to continue sailing: in that case instead of heating thermal stone and loosing durability of it after I'd rather use sunfish in insulated pack and bring everything I want to base.

I find regular backpacks useful for storage at base and key locations like pseudoscience station even after obtaining upgraded backpacks. It's especially convenient for those who ride beefalos since it can be accessed without dismounting, as well as for everyone who doesn't want to dedicate multiple chests and vast amount of space to store things like turf, nightmare fuel, thulecite, basic materials, ornaments, etc. Especially if one plans to move base a bit later, or at least reorganize storage, to spend supply and never really use container for storage again. Backpacks plus is that they are really cheap. By the way, in single player I like that I can just carry grass and twigs and craft new backpack for picking extra loot after being wereWilba.

wow! thank you so much for the detailed information.

I appreiciate the responce and appriciate the different outlooks!

Krampus Sack is best in slot item, while many people can argue about how useful it is to have more inventory slots, Krampus Sack gives 14 slots which really makes a big difference.

Piggyback is a godsend when you are taming a beefalo, basically cheap Krampus Sack, it just has 2 less slots when speed doesn't matter to you. Taming beefalo is very important but as i play Wanda often, I don't have a need for it, unless you are playing her or Wortox it is quite good to start taming on day 1 as there are so many benefits.

Insulated Pack is something I often use when I am not taming a beefalo or haven't obtained Krampus Sack, it has the same amount of slots as a normal backpack and it slows down  spoilage, so there's really no reason not to make it when you obtain thick fur. 

Backpack should be crafted as soon as possible so that you can gather more items as when starting out you are gathering everything and will run out of slots quickly and it will last you until you get an upgrade.

There is really nothing competing for body slot with backpack, especially when you consider that backpack can be dropped and body armor can be equipped at any moment when you decide to fight if you are using body armor and you will usually use head slot for insulation,sanity regeneration and rain protection as it is much better while there are good armor options for both slots.

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Wait, y'all really use the insulated pack?  I mean, I never get the Krampus sack so I can't say I prefer that instead, but like I never make the insulated pack either...

I use a backpack mostly, a piggy pack if I'm taming a beef, and sometimes armor or gear to handle temp depending on the situation.

Yes. 

After the buff (I don't remember anymore when it happened, maybe 2 years ago?) the insulated pack is 100%, no doubt, a progressive item now. 

Think about it. It's literally same space as a backpack but as a fridge too. This means after your first bearger, you immediately switch with the insulated pack because again, you don't loose nothing. It's just a straight buff. 

The discussion change when we bring on the table krampus sack and piggyback.

Glad Insulated Pack is finally being given the credit it deserves. Personally I liked using them even before the +2 slot buff, but now that it's essentially backpack but better, it's a great item to use. However, I still go for Krampus Sacks when possible. The Moonstorm event makes killing Glommer a daily task so that's about the time I try and grab one.

Insulated Pack definitely, I'm someone who doesn't like to waste his "chest slot" in backpacks, but the idea of having an "ice box" in your back that also reduce the spoilage of mobs it's just great, so I can make long travels in caves without worrying about food (cuz ice Chester can't go there) and also put Lightbugs inside that will last longer.

6 hours ago, Milordo said:

Yes. 

After the buff (I don't remember anymore when it happened, maybe 2 years ago?) the insulated pack is 100%, no doubt, a progressive item now. 

Think about it. It's literally same space as a backpack but as a fridge too. This means after your first bearger, you immediately switch with the insulated pack because again, you don't loose nothing. It's just a straight buff. 

The discussion change when we bring on the table krampus sack and piggyback.

But all it does is slow spoilage.  By second autumn I've probably got bundling wraps.  I guess it can work as a runner up to bundling wraps if you don't get the recipe ?

I didn't realize they buffed this thing, kinda sucks they nerfed Warly's food pouch to make this seem better in comparison :\ Warly actually *needs* something like this early game, but at just 6 slots its not worth it over a backpack.  Kinda sucks they did Warly dirty like that.

10 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

But all it does is slow spoilage.  By second autumn I've probably got bundling wraps.  I guess it can work as a runner up to bundling wraps if you don't get the recipe ?

I didn't realize they buffed this thing, kinda sucks they nerfed Warly's food pouch to make this seem better in comparison :\ Warly actually *needs* something like this early game, but at just 6 slots its not worth it over a backpack.  Kinda sucks they did Warly dirty like that.

That's a big "if" on bundling wraps.

Although she doesn't have a trophy on Playstation, I'm seeing dragonfly, another raid boss at 2.1% and he's considerably simpler than bee queen. For the vast majority of people, ice pack is on the table

Than again, I'm seeing bearger only at 4.1%, so maybe neither is lol

9 hours ago, Brago-sama said:

That's a big "if" on bundling wraps.

Although she doesn't have a trophy on Playstation, I'm seeing dragonfly, another raid boss at 2.1% and he's considerably simpler than bee queen. For the vast majority of people, ice pack is on the table

Than again, I'm seeing bearger only at 4.1%, so maybe neither is lol

I agree, bee queen has always been scary to me (literally panicing when preping fighting) I basicly slaped myself in the face when I found this!

if you are ok with ether switching to wickerbottom or a wicker main you could try somthing like this wich is super easy for bee queen as she has no AOE

eccentually when you have spare sanity read on tenticles in the center of the broken walls and they will not spawn within it!
As someone who is straigt up scared of the fight, this iw nice as you can just kinda run through and stay out of the fight

image.png

NOTE: this was from this post on steam origanally https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099124868 

5 hours ago, Shosuko said:

You're telling me, you have all the inventory full of bundling wraps like a mad-man? Please, tell me no. You only need 3-4 bundling wraps at max in your adventure, more it's just a luxury.

Even with bundling wraps you can't have all the food or items that spoils inside them, others will be on your inventory for sure, that's where insulated pack got you covered and again. I don't get the "as a runner up to bundling". Bundling wraps are not the answer for everything and apart from the first statement, what are you loosing? Again, it's better backpack literally. You loose nothing. It's an upgrade. What are you loosing?

(P.s yes,really sad for Warly, but even for a lot of characters and we can even put, all the balance of Don't Starve in general)

3 hours ago, uubismyname said:

" for bee queen as she has now AOE "

What? Lol? Bee Queen has not been changed since 2015 xD She doesn't have aoe attacks.

10 hours ago, uubismyname said:

I agree, bee queen has always been scary to me (literally panicing when preping fighting) I basicly slaped myself in the face when I found this!

if you are ok with ether switching to wickerbottom or a wicker main you could try somthing like this wich is super easy for bee queen as she has no AOE

Swap to Winona after you've prepped some stacks of stones and gold and you can set up catapults to do the fight.  Then you don't have to worry about re-summoning tentacles, or claiming loot around tentacles (seen a lot of people die trying to get something from wicker's setup lol) and its easily repeatable for like 8 gems (easy to get after year 1.)

6 hours ago, Milordo said:

You're telling me, you have all the inventory full of bundling wraps like a mad-man? Please, tell me no. You only need 3-4 bundling wraps at max in your adventure, more it's just a luxury.

Even with bundling wraps you can't have all the food or items that spoils inside them, others will be on your inventory for sure, that's where insulated pack got you covered and again. I don't get the "as a runner up to bundling". Bundling wraps are not the answer for everything and apart from the first statement, what are you loosing? Again, it's better backpack literally. You loose nothing. It's an upgrade. What are you loosing?

(P.s yes,really sad for Warly, but even for a lot of characters and we can even put, all the balance of Don't Starve in general)

What? Lol? Bee Queen has not been changed since 2015 xD She doesn't have aoe attacks.

Inventory full of bundling wraps?  Not even close.  Just 2.  One is stacks of food, like maybe meaty stew, bacon and eggs, and cooked cactus with a stack of rope.  The other is a ham bat, armor, stack of healing food and stack of rope.  When I'm hungry, or need to fight like a boss spawned or hounds are coming I open the appropriate wrap, take what I need and wrap it back up.  Nothing in my inventory is suffering spoilage to bother with an insulated pack.

It could only be runner up to the bundling wrap b/c if I'm on a multiplayer server and I don't get the bundling wrap I could get the insulated pack BUT only 1 person gets the that too so its no easier to claim.  In fact I'd say bundling wrap is probably more accessible than insulated pack b/c I can make a move for bee queen much earlier, and on my terms to claim the wrap but bearger is year 2 spawn on a random player.  I have no way of ensuring I get that lol

Now if they didn't nerf Warly's pack I'd say yeah - make that.  Just like people love having a Wigfrid to make battle helmets people would love a Warly to make his chef pouches but RIP that I guess lol

anyway

Archived