what character needs a nerf?

None. This is not a competitive game, none of the characters need nerfs.

What some of them need is more interesting gameplay or more interaction in a team. In my opinion it's Wilson and Winona at this point.

Some might need a few small tweaks to make their abilities more worthwhile to use, like Willow.

Having played a lot of Wanda and Maxwell lately, I can say I don't necessarily need nerfs, but. It's more of "This is so insane, I can't believe it got put in the game in the first place"

Wanda, in later game, makes travel irrelevant. No other character can do that. While I like the idea that she has that, I feel like maybe there should be a limit? So it encourages thoughtful placement or moving a few on-demand wormholes instead of, well, infinity. Her dealing insane damage with a unique, infinite durability weapon while she's at low health is honestly fine. She's around the same DPS as other combat characters, so it's not ludicrous. The spot dodge is kind of nutty though, and feels like it goes against the whole idea that she slows down when she's old; but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

And Maxwell, post refresh, still has the ability to use Wickerbottom books, which... on top of the effects, usually throws you into insanity and insta-spawns a nightmare, which is just more fuel for the guy who literally slurps it down like spaghetti noodles already. If you have a wicker on your team (Or hell! A bookshelf that keeps books durable for eternity, and a celestial portal), then you have every benefit of refreshed Wickerbottom on top of the codex. On top of practically souring Wickerbottom out of any reason to ever play her again other than crafting the books to hand to Maxwell, it gives Max an absolutely overloaded kit to deal with effectively every need one may have in the game, except, kind of ironically, traveling. If I was to propose any change, it'd just be to pry Wickerbottom's books out of his greedy little fingers and give them back to the poor woman. I mean, Max effectively got two refreshes for the price of one with his.

Just because a game isn’t PvP does NOT mean it shouldn’t be balanced, if you need proof of that just look at some of the many co-op only games that have seen character nerfs or buffs in the past-

Games like Borderlands, Rainbow Six Extraction (not the PvP focused siege EXTRACTION the 3 player coop zombie spinoff) or Zombie Army 4.

All video games rather they’re PvP or PVE, need proper balancing- OTHERWISE you run into the same problems Borderlands 2 had of one insanely overpowered character that makes playing as anyone else redundant and more importantly- makes playing WITH this overpowered character on your team make you feel like your “pointless” in being there.

To clarify Borderlands 2 playable character Gaige had a Robot AI companion that just ran through the game passively slaughtering anything and everything, making every other playable characters skills and abilities literally pointless… Gaige was hit with a heavy nerf just because playing with her on your team (even if you weren’t playing as her yourself…) made the game BORING for everyone else.

Wendy in DST comes dangerously close to intruding into this same territory of Murder A.I. Bot- but not quite to the extremes of Gaige from BL 2 once did, Plus Wendys A.I. Bot actually encourages Team Work by rewarding those other players a damage buff for attacking petal effected enemies.

Could Wendy use a nerf? possibly, but no where near as much as Maxwell & Wanda need it.

The REAL issue is that Klei is absolutely horrified to mess with balancing their cast of characters “too much” because they don’t really know if by doing that they will strip away what makes people love playing as them in the process.

Its a delicate process, but so long as no one particular character is completely overshadowing any other character choice (Borderlands 2, Extraction) then nerfs or buffs aren’t as necessary.

That does NOT mean that balance should be thrown completely out the window because “It’s a PVE game bro..”

20 hours ago, Auth said:

She's around the same DPS as other combat characters, so it's not ludicrous.

This is the only part where I disagree. She gets really close to Wolfgang, the character whose entire point is dealing the most damage, while also having other good benefits for herself and her allies.

25 minutes ago, DeadWhereX said:

This is the only part where I disagree. She gets really close to Wolfgang, the character whose entire point is dealing the most damage while also being a great support.

Wolfgang at least gets the luxury of face tanking with additional health & the ability so slam perogies and then crumple the cans they came in on his forehead, while Wanda can't do so as well while keeping her old age damage.

I'm saying this as a huge fan of Wanda, I like her gameplay and I like her personality, but I do think she could use a change. Not a nerf per say, more of just make the age mechanic more of a challenge, just because I really like the idea, even without that she's still a well designed character.

Honestly, none of the characters feel too strong in my opinion. Wendy's good against lots of weaker enemies but struggles against bosses, Wanda has high damage but need to be a low health to use it, Wolfgang's just the damage dealer and he's good at that, etc. I honestly think the only issues with the characters are being too weak or occupying another character's niche or lacking one. Willow, Walter, and Woody in particular feel this way to a degree. Other than gathering the shadow pieces without a beefalo(which is way too niche to be a signature "niche"), Walter has no significant use or niche. Being a "ranged support character" is pretty pointless when Walt's gimmick rounds aren't good enough and bosses melt with multiple players anyway, so standing back with the slingshot isn't doing that much with it's incredibly low DPS. The slingshot isn't useless, but really hasn't made good use of its potential. Melee weapons are better in most circumstances which is unfortunate, ranged combat in general needs revisiting. Willow's in a wierd place, I personally wish Klei went further with her pyromancy since her current perks regarding heating, fires, and fire sources feel rather insignificant at times, and I feel like I'm playing as Wilson with a few extra perks. Woodie is a jack of all trades, who isn't great at anything he does. I think the major issue with Woodie's transformations is that they lose a lot of worth in the later game despite being so cheap, with things like Bearger, better gear and armor, etc, overshadowing them. 

At this point in my opinion it would be a better direction for the game to accept characters like wanda and maxwell or even WX as the new standard power levels of a character. If anyone falls significantly behind in power or fun factor they should be buffed/changed.

Also this might be controversial but I honestly feel like that the more powerful characters kinda just remove/improve the unfun and tedious parts of the game. Maxwell combat seems much more interesting than simply holding F with a hambat. Wanda and WX help a lot with moving around which I love cause I always felt that the default movement speed was a bit too slow in this game and made travelling the map tedious a lot of the time. I would rather have characters be a bit too strong if it means that they are all gonna be as fun these three.

2 hours ago, Auth said:

Wolfgang at least gets the luxury of face tanking with additional health & the ability so slam perogies and then crumple the cans they came in on his forehead, while Wanda can't do so as well while keeping her old age damage.

yeah, people crying for Wanda nerfs for being "too OP" seem to forget how much messing around Wanda requires for the same damage that's available for Wolfgang right off the bat and how ridiculously convenient he is compared to her. if you know your ****, you'll have a rook marble farm with Wolfgang by day 31, and from that point on, you can basically facetank anything while wearing a marble suit, without all that much fear of damage, while Wanda dies if you look at her wrong.

13 hours ago, Auth said:

Wanda can't do so as well while keeping her old age damage.

Why would you want to tank as Wanda? Her weapon is designed to keep yourself away from the enemies and has a watch that lets you dodge with one click. Also the damage she deals at middle-age is still above Wigfrid, the other combat character, no need to be so risky.

11 hours ago, DinsdaleP said:

how much messing around Wanda requires for the same damage that's available for Wolfgang right off the bat

And that's why he's the favorite character when speed-running a boss (from what I've seen). Personally, I don't see a reason to choose Wolfgang over Wanda in a world that will last more than the first autumn.

and from that point on, you can basically facetank anything while wearing a marble suit, without all that much fear of damage

That would be awesome if DST was a single-player boss fight simulator.

Wanda dies if you look at her wrong.

Night suit

I do like Wanda's downside. I'd like to see more downsides like hers. It makes you play the game different and you have to work and know what you're doing to reach the full potential. It just feels like they gave her too much to compensate it (at least in the damage part)

2 hours ago, Spirit Glow said:

What makes you say Maxwell and Wanda need a nerf and what would these nerfs look like? 

Maxwell shouldn’t be able to read Wickerbottoms entire collection of books, it just it doesn’t make any sense! Basically Maxwell is 2 characters in 1 now without the downsides of the other character. 

Wanda would take quite a heavy nerf if she could only carry one ageless watch at a time, AND the older she got the more damage her weapons deal, but.. the slower she moves- you’d have to rely on using her movement abilities (wormholes, Backtreck watch) to compensate for slogging around at snail speed at 80 yrs old.

I kinda want Wolfgang to have vampire health and be able to read all of Wigfrids songs scrolls now- because until Klei nerfs Maxwell, He’s basically doing that.

The only nerfs I feel that characters need is ones that define their gameplay. Some of the best downsides come from those that completely change a character's relationship with a core mechanic of the game. Wickerbottom has a different relationship with sleeping, Woodie has a different relationship with full moons, Walter combat, Wortox food. Meanwhile you have Wolfgang and Wendy who just suffer from bad numbers and doesn't necessitate change or at least preparation for their downsides at all. 

1 hour ago, MadMatt said:

The only nerfs I feel that characters need is ones that define their gameplay. Some of the best downsides come from those that completely change a character's relationship with a core mechanic of the game. Wickerbottom has a different relationship with sleeping, Woodie has a different relationship with full moons, Walter combat, Wortox food. Meanwhile you have Wolfgang and Wendy who just suffer from bad numbers and doesn't necessitate change or at least preparation for their downsides at all. 

well, Wendy's downside makes you more inclined to use beefalo in a fight, at least.

not the most interesting downside, but not the worst one either(I agree that it could be better though)

Archived