[Game Update] - Public Testing 534208

• Developer

A7fBUZzCBIHv-Q_2fc4iKuTvXxwC80ZyiaO8WN7Z

Hey everyone, 

It’s time to start public testing for our next update! 

As promised in the roadmap, we’ve got new Room types, new buildings, and a story trait featuring a reclusive stowaway. We’re also putting out a small introductory collection of ONI’s new cosmetic skins. 

All of the new buildings work for both base game and the Spaced Out! DLC: The new Conduction Panel exchanges heat with overlapping buildings, making it easier to manage temperatures…even in a vacuum! Meanwhile, the Mission Control Station provides rocket guidance support, effectively boosting rocket speed. And the frequency-amplifying Geotuner building increases the temperature and output of a targeted Geyser anywhere on the asteroid. The latter two need to be built inside the new Laboratory room in order to function. 

The Mysterious Hermit story trait introduces a Gravitas relic with a lone inhabitant who can be recruited to your colony by completing a series of mini challenges. 

We’re still working on building out the ONI skins system, but we couldn’t resist releasing three sampler sets. In the future, the primary method for obtaining new skins will be through timed drops. For now, we’re setting everyone up with a few intro skins so that you can get a sneak peek at how it all works and let us know what you think. 

To claim these sampler sets of ONI skins (aka blueprints): Click on “Supply Closet” in the Main Menu, and hit the “Check Shipments'' button. That’ll take you to the Klei Rewards webpage, which has three free mystery shipments up for grabs—you’re welcome to redeem all three. You can then view your collection of blueprints in your online inventory or in-game, in your Supply Closet. 

Thank you to everyone who jumps in to help out with the public testing process: we appreciate you! Please let us know what you think and what’s working (or not). Any bugs you find can be reported here.

Here’s what you’ll find in the update so far: 

Spoiler

Features

• All versions
    • Added Mysterious Hermit story trait.
    • Added Geotuner building.
    • Added Mission Control Station building.
    • Added Conduction Panel building.
    • Added Private Bedroom room type. Renamed Bedroom to Luxury Barracks.
    • Added Laboratory room type.
    • Preview of the new cosmetic skins system, including three free sample sets of skins.

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • Telescopes and Space Scanners have changed how they calculate sky visibility. These buildings now can work under multiple layers of glass tiles and denser gas/liquids.
    • Renamed Phosphorous to Refined Phosphorus to make it easier to differentiate from Phosphorite.
    • Geysers now display an Average Output once analyzed.
    • Geysers are now renamable. They start with a unique name identifier so it’s easier to tell them apart.
    • Reveal the asteroid's surface when you launch a rocket after it reaches space.
    • Drywall changes
      • Significantly reduced Drywall construction time and construction mass.
      • Drywall now provides a small decor boost.
      • Moved Drywall to "Base" build menu category.
      • Moved Drywall to Textile Production tech.
      • Drywall can replace tiles and vice versa.
    • Pedestals, Sweepy Bots now lists artifacts and keepsakes before other items. 
    • Added Camera Speed slider to Game Options screen.
    • Added names for existing paintings and statues
    • Canvases and sculpting blocks now let you select a different artwork of the same quality. You can also clear artwork.
    • Changed building material selection panel to a vertically scrolling grid.
    • Adjusted room colors for Deuteranopia and Protanopia color blind modes.
    • Room overlay legend was reordered such that the Kitchen appears near the other dining room types.
    • Fixed issue causing some menu backgrounds to be incorrectly sized after a window size or resolution change.
    • Added icons on the specific database pages for room type when you click on a category
    • Added a list of recipes to the Spice Grinder building's database entry
    • Dream bubbles now have a journal icon in them
  • Base game only
    • Added Spaced Out! store link to the main menu for users who don't already own it.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Artifact Transport Module lists artifacts and keepsakes before other items.

Fixes

• All versions
    • Fixed a crash using the Sandbox delete tool on a Duplicant with a balloon.
    • Unequipping Pajamas from a Duplicant who is sleeping and dreaming will no longer make the Duplicant keep the dream bubble forever
    • Fixed all Spice Grinders displaying the same food when hovering one Spice Grinder 
    • Fixed sound issue related to solid resin
    • Fixed issue that allowed Duplicants to get stuck when trying to enter a Transit Tube.
    • Fixed a transit tube related crash loading some saves.
    • Duplicants interrupted while eating at a Mess Table no longer play the eating animation when using other buildings.
    • Attack tool now correctly applies the selected priority.
    • Capture tool now updates the priority of critters already marked for capture.
    • Fixed "Resume Game" and load game screens not handling daylight savings time.
    • Fixed typos in the Heat database entry.
    • Updated Serum Vial recipe description to mention Zombie Spores instead of Slimelung.
    • Removed empty parentheses beside the decor item room requirement in the build menu.
    • Database entry for Critter Flux-O-Matic now displays expanded descriptions for each critter.
    • Modding: Fixed issue in the sim loading more than 255 elements.
    • Fixed dev debug stamping of templates without buildings. Note this screen is unsupported.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Fixed Sponge Slug incorrectly using Gas Output instead of Liquid Output.
    • Destroying rocket modules properly cleans up related chores
    • Fixed a bug that showed the status item "No Research Selected" when all researches were completed on the Space Out version by the Materials Study Terminal building 
    • Fixed rocket launch button sometimes displaying "Automation Controlled" or "Begin Launch Sequence" incorrectly.
    • Renamed rocket interior tiles to "Rocket Wall" and clarified building restriction on rocket fitting building placement
    • Fixed missing string for Ladder Bed stamina.

What is public testing?

"Public testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the public testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become a public tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the public testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 5
  • GL Happy 2

44 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

our next update! 

Kind request from your fellow modders:

Before moving from beta to live release, could you give us some warning? Something like forum post "We believe this branch is stable and we will release it in a week/3 days/after the weekend"

Introduction of new systems tends to break some mods that we need to maintain, and ofc we understand this is nessesary to make the game better, but since beta branch is very unstable with lots of potential changes to come (last time Artable changed like 3 times), many of us don't rush with adding mod support for beta. When you release sudden live version without a few day notice, it can catch us unprepared.

Ofc I don't mind updating mods if that means cool game updates. But some headsup about planned release date would be nice :) Thx a lot!

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, pether said:

Before moving from beta to live release, could you give us some warning? Something like forum post "We believe this branch is stable and we will release it in a week/3 days/after the weekend"

Introduction of new systems tends to break some mods that we need to maintain, and ofc we understand this is nessesary to make the game better, but since beta branch is very unstable with lots of potential changes to come (last time Artable changed like 3 times), many of us don't rush with adding mod support for beta. When you release sudden live version without a few day notice, it can catch us unprepared.

Not a modder myself, but a player who uses lots, and i mean LOTS!!! of mods. And yes i would really like to see modders have the time to update prior to the release so the can upload the new versions in time!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

I also saw a faceless puft.. But I'm sure the puft is doing fiiine... Right?!

Feels on theme, the Hermit can go faceless as well ;)

21 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

And yes i would really like to see modders have the time to update prior to the release

Well, we got time - we can start fixes right now, with first beta release. Klei was very supportive on that matter.

The issue is how much time do we have, and we never know that. And sometimes we feel that future changes may invalidate rushed fixes. Example - right now my Room Expanded crash, but I expect more changes to the room system (I found the bug, fixing it may bring more changes and more crashes), so I won't update it right now. If tomorrow Klei decided to release the branch, I would be in trouble. So the question is - how much should I wait not to do the same job twice, and yet to have working mod on live update release?

• Like 3

I haven't quite figured out how everything works with the new cosmetics, but the notion of customizing our dupes' outfits is intriguing.  Minor request, please add blue as an option for clothing customization.  Aqua is blueish, but not blue.  ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goboking said:

I haven't quite figured out how everything works with the new cosmetics, but the notion of customizing our dupes' outfits is intriguing.  Minor request, please add blue as an option for clothing customization.  Aqua is blueish, but not blue.  ;)

I also don't understand how to use unlocked boat-bed and drywall patterns...

Nvm, I found it, you select blueprint variant when you construct new building, the same way you select materials to build it from

Edited by pether

As soon as I saw I had WALLPAPER I changed the bathroom haha and I also lost most of my oxygen in the space void 

This is so cool ! give me moreeeee I think we have to wait to get more but omg i can't wait ! also the new beds haha

I love it

szgzsg.PNG

• Like 1

My first impressions of new features:

Mysterious Hermit story trait.

Nice and fun, I like how you need to work for the goal. Not sure completing it should somehow affect my base as the quest suggests. I got storage, I got cool dupe (I really like him, feels very rewarding), but what about the thing about the truth about the past?

Geotuner building.

I love it, it opens great new options. Since it is possible to boost the same vent several times you can do fun things with it.

Mission Control Station building.

I'm not sure if there should be some panel to select rockets. I would expect it to appear in Stations build menu (even orbital lab is there). The building feels really confusig to use...

Conduction Panel building.

I'm not sure if it works, doesn't seem to... 

Private Bedroom room type. 

I really like Private Bedroom, wouldn't make it better! 

Laboratory room type.

Yay, we waited for it so long! However, Mission Control building doesn't feel right in it... Maybe add separate room for it, reserving laboratory to more experimetns and research?

New cosmetic skins system, including three free sample sets of skins.

Would it be possible to change blueprint after the building is built? Eg. I'm moving my bathroom and I want to change all drywall patterns - do I really need to rebuild every one of them...?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, pether said:

Laboratory room type.

Yay, we waited for it so long! However, Mission Control building doesn't feel right in it... Maybe add separate room for it, reserving laboratory to more experimetns and research?

I'm inclined to agree.  Most room archetypes have (or had) two variants, so a Research Lab for research and a Mission Control for space missions wouldn't be a terrible idea.

While we're on the subject of rooms, the Private Bedroom doesn't list the maximum room size.  Also, listing Kitchen between Mess Hall and Great Hall is irking me for some reason.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pether said:

Laboratory room type.

Maybe some kind of "stellar room" where you can also put int the telescope

Edited by blacknight7890
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

The Geotuner is really cool.

It would be even better if dupes could start a new experiment while there is still data inside the geotuner, or if the building could hold one or more experiment "charges". As it is now there is a problem: the effect runs out during eruption, requiring a dupe to perform another experiment. This could break some contraptions, like cool steam vent straight into steam turbine or any temperature sensitive application.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ashridah said:

Wait, it stacks? Wild, is there diminishing returns?

I didn't see any. With 9 stations I was able to boost temperature by 180*, turning cool slush geyser to steam vent. I didn't check if the output scaled as well as the temp, but I assume it does. It seems to be intentional - status item msg was constructed with multiple boosts in mind

2 hours ago, blacknight7890 said:

Maybe some kind of "stellar room" where you can also put int the telescope

exactly my thought! the room requirement could demand space visibility.

also, if I could request new building, we could have remote rocket control station, allowing to pilot rockets without a need to be inside them. I saw animation files are ready for it, so hardest part is done (yes, anim files are for DLC-style rocket modules, but you could merge autopilot and signal reciver nosecone into one vanilla-style 5-tile module). it would fit really well in that stellar room and it would be nice feature to have, after few flights in the DLC you dream of having remote control over rockets, some auto pilot or AI controlling it 

• Big Ups 1

1 minute ago, pether said:

With 9 stations I was able to boost temperature by 180*, turning cool slush geyser to steam vent.

Quick question, did your geyser tuning stations require bleach stone in order to tune geysers? Also, did this improve the g/s of the geyser? or just the temperature after the first one

Telescopes and Space Scanners have changed how they calculate sky visibility. These buildings now can work under multiple layers of glass tiles and denser gas/liquids.

Does this work for the Temporal Tear Opener, as well?