Tusk droprate

Tusk droprate  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather tusk droprate be:

• Still 50%
    • 100% but tusk items would cost double tusk amount.

What if tusk had 100% drop rate but items requiring tusk would need 2 tusks instead of 1?

With 50% tusk drop rate it's not consistent. In single tusk worlds, you will have 5-6 chances to get the tusk from mctusk per year. Many of us got 0 at least once. I know hostile flare exists now but it's still risk and it's a post about finding out if people are choosing consistency or rng.

Statistically you'd get 3 tusks in 6 tries. That is 3 canes but only with perfectly 50/50 luck.
With a 100% tusk chance but double the cost that would be also 3 canes in 6 tries but with no situation ever where you never get any.

"You can get 0 in 6 tries but you can also get 6 in 6 tries". What do you need more than 3 canes for? 

Yesterday i killed mac tusk five times and got no tusk, it is sad but i accepted it, if everything in the game has 100% drop rate, it would be kinda boring, if something could be changed to solve this problem, is that hostile flares actually spawns new mac tusks.

Btw, if there is a deerclops in the world, hostile flare doesnt work, is that possible to make hostile flare despawn an existing deerclops and spawn another where the hostile flare were used?

I've gotten 0 after killing 9 in a triple mac world...I had to rollback out of frustration, I don't think I'm in favor of OP's pitch though. What if instead of a guaranteed droprate, it was two separate drop chances. (walruses do have 2 tusks after all) so you have 50% chance of 1 dropping and 50% chance of a second one dropping. Either this or let the wee Mactusk have a 25% chance of dropping a tusk.

I wish treasure chests were a more decent or reliable way to get rare resources like tusks. It has a chance for a cane but travel time for getting those treasures is practically forever nor it's a good chance to get them. I tried farming for treasures in a public server and I've got nothing but a ton of fishing rods that nobody uses after Wicker crashed the fish market economy :x

28 minutes ago, goatt said:

You suggestion don’t change walking canes statistically, but can avoid the downside of RNG.

But people won’t like it because it involves Math.

Tusk drop rate should be lower at like 33%, walking cane is probably the single best/most used equipment in the game, it should be annoying and hard work to obtain. Therefore the downside of RNG is a good thing. Mactusks are not hard to farm.

I would suggest to increase the cane drop rate from sunken chests tho, just because of how awkward and annoying it is to obtain sunken treasure already.

10 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Tusk drop rate should be lower at like 33%, walking cane is probably the single best/most used equipment in the game, it should be annoying and hard work to obtain. Therefore the downside of RNG is a good thing. Mactusks are not hard to farm.

I would suggest to increase the cane drop rate from sunken chests tho, just because of how awkward and annoying it is to obtain sunken treasure already.

I think you missed 2 things.

1. the complaint regarding tusks is not purely about the difficulty, it’s also about that in pub servers, people don’t have the chance to see a living mactusk. Lowering to 33% will worsen this situation.

2. Lowering the chance has nothing to do with the downsides of RNG. The downsides of RNG is about the game treating you unfairly. The downside of RNG happens when you got 0 tusks after you kill tusks 20 times in one winter. I’ve seen the downsides of RNG myself, and it can be infuriating.

but I don’t have any opinion on the tuning the drop rate

10 minutes ago, goatt said:

I think you missed 2 things.

1. the complaint regarding tusks is not purely about the difficulty, it’s also about that in pub servers, people don’t have the chance to see a living mactusk. Lowering to 33% will worsen this situation.

2. Lowering the chance has nothing to do with the downsides of RNG. The downsides of RNG is about the game treating you unfairly. The downside of RNG happens when you got 0 tusks after you kill tusks 20 times in one winter.

but I don’t have any opinion on the tuning the drop rate

To answer point one. No one actually needs a walking cane, in pubs its first come first serve, and it makes character choice more important in pub games. Wormwood,wx and walter (wes too...) all have speed boosts so don't really need a walking cane. Makes choosing these characters more attractive if you know you won't be guarenteed a walking cane or able to dupe them with construction staff/amulet. 

To answer point two. See point one. My points still apply to a solo game. If you are unlucky you always have next winter or sunken treasures or ancient guardian or tamed beefalo for even better speed. You have options already if you get hit by bad RNG.

Droprate to guaranteed, maybe even double the amount of tusks dropped (because they have two tusks visually), maybe even have WeeTusk drop some as well, and that's it. Why make it frustrating and drawn-out to get items? You overcame the challenge of killing a mctusk party, but got nothing for it, yes, very great gameplay. Exploits, if possible to remove, can be taken care of later, but it's not as bad as tusk necessity.

2 hours ago, Gashzer said:

This is the antithesis of good game design. Just because it's "OP", or rather useful if we're being fair and analyzing the broader game here, compared to the dozens of trash items out there none uses because they are trash, why should they be what you nerf into the ground? What about the backpack? Or a torch? Or a log suit? Or pierogi (only helps if you know how to cook it and know how to play well, mind you)? They are easy to get but help you out a ton, they are reliable with little to no RNG involved. Should that also be locked behind a dozen RNG-loot table drops? There is the Krampus sack already which does that, and people create farms to grind the drop rate anyway, which is dumb, but I'm talking purely the backpack itself.

Why should decent items be behind RNG walls? Having to do the same thing over and over again is an example of inflated gameplay hours, the content does not justify it. Let the player earn the reward and keep it, that's what makes games fun to play. Why are so many people adamant about creating an RNG hell, especially when there are dozens of players in a single server at a time (and some more if you account for periodic logging on/off) who may even want multiples of an RNG-based item drop? There are much better ways to create difficulty, and RNG like this is not one of them, it's just about the most frustrating way you can create some sort of difficulty, the chance to get nothing from of all your efforts and time spent.

With 4 tusks from a single party, everyone can have a tusk by the end of the first winter, even with 1 camp around, and have some tusks left for brushes or Wanda watches. Maybe if the tam-o-shanter was 100% drop rate as well (as visuals indicate), more players could get those items earlier as well.

18 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

snip

The RNG involved with the cane and tam o' shanter adds to the excitement when obtaining them. You're talking about multiplayer servers and Wanda, which I would add that your life is already infinitely easier than playing solo or playing as other survivors. One minor struggle won't kill you. Besides, you can use a mod or re-roll to force a world with a triple MacTusk biome and get 3-4 camps, which should be plenty for all your multiplayer cane needs. Spamming Fuelweaver is also a breeze with a full squad, so you can farm Ancient Guardian for Lazy Explorer drops as well.

Not everything needs to be guaranteed. You underestimate the importance of RNG in keeping people engaged. Look at the daily drops for example. It's fun and exciting when you get something good, and it feels rewarding to those who play a lot.

I really like how it is now because not everything should be just given to the player if they complete a task. We needs more RNG because that's how a lot of people enjoy games and it makes you excited when you get something really rare like Krampus Sack from Klaus.

So many players just restart the world before day 300-500 and will say how there is nothing that interests them to play further but if we had more RNG drops it would increase the play time and if you get a good drop you'll want to play longer. For example there are games that have some bosses/monsters with 1% drop chance like how Krampus Sack is currently from Krampus creatures, now imagine if a lot of the creatures in the game were like that but with different items?

I know that DST isn't an MMORPG game but this could really help with some players that want to reset the world after they are done with what they want to do as not everyone is a builder that wants to make a megabase.

The only change i would want to see here when it comes to Walrus camps is to set it so it always spawns the 3 camp setpeiece in every world as this is bad RNG design, especially with Wanda requiring tusks too, if you are unlucky and only have a single camp, that means you'll have to play though multiple years to get enough tusks for everyone.

1 hour ago, EighteenXVIII said:

The RNG involved with the cane and tam o' shanter adds to the excitement when obtaining them.

So we're delving into peoples' gambling addictions, great. No, I stand by what I said. Remove the RNG, no more frustrations, no more fights between players due to scarcity, we are here to have fun playing together. You can get a similar excitement when you beat the darn thing and get something, not getting excited about the possibility of something being dropped and the disappointment and realization of having to do the exact same thing because of likely not having anything good dropped at all.

1 hour ago, EighteenXVIII said:

You're talking about multiplayer servers and Wanda, which I would add that your life is already infinitely easier than playing solo or playing as other survivors. One minor struggle won't kill you. Besides, you can use a mod or re-roll to force a world with a triple MacTusk biome and get 3-4 camps, which should be plenty for all your multiplayer cane needs. Spamming Fuelweaver is also a breeze with a full squad, so you can farm Ancient Guardian for Lazy Explorer drops as well.

Playing solo is arguably easier, because you don't have to worry about noobs, distractions, or care about getting more resources so that more players can have some. If you're not proficient at the game and have tried both single and multiplayer world, you won't understand any of that. Relying on mods is not reasonable, this is meant for multiplayer as well, if not primarily. As far as resources are concerned, you need more of them around to keep multiple players afloat. Stagnating it for one player to have a resource scarcity at all times is idiotic.

And again, another argument for grind. No, you should not have to fight all these bosses over and over again, it is tedium and inflates gameplay hours.

1 hour ago, 00petar00 said:

I really like how it is now because not everything should be just given to the player if they complete a task. We needs more RNG because that's how a lot of people enjoy games and it makes you excited when you get something really rare like Krampus Sack from Klaus.

So many players just restart the world before day 300-500 and will say how there is nothing that interests them to play further but if we had more RNG drops it would increase the play time and if you get a good drop you'll want to play longer. For example there are games that have some bosses/monsters with 1% drop chance like how Krampus Sack is currently from Krampus creatures, now imagine if a lot of the creatures in the game were like that but with different items?

I know that DST isn't an MMORPG game but this could really help with some players that want to reset the world after they are done with what they want to do as not everyone is a builder that wants to make a megabase.

The only change i would want to see here when it comes to Walrus camps is to set it so it always spawns the 3 camp setpeiece in every world as this is bad RNG design, especially with Wanda requiring tusks too, if you are unlucky and only have a single camp, that means you'll have to play though multiple years to get enough tusks for everyone.

This is awful. This is the exact thing that I have been arguing against. It's an awful game design choice that inflates gameplay hours. If you do this intentionally, as a developer, you are an example of exactly the same type of scheming awful **** that so many other bigger studios do with other mechanics, like lootboxes. Not everyone has the time, or the will to play a game this long, experiencing no progress until they grind through some RNG ********. It's insane to me that some players none the less, would argue FOR it. Inflating gameplay hours is something you should argue against, because it creates a time-sink and repetitive grind where there should be none. This is exactly the kind of stuff that makes this game worse and should be called out, yet here you are asking for more of it. Even with RNG removed, and the game optimised to let you experience all of its content seamlessly, it is still going to take at least several dozen hours to get through it all. Something that most other games actually do right and not make themselves a grindfest and a time sink just because they can while the player base actively supports it or thinks nothing of it. Make the time played reflect the content that exists, instead of artificially inflating the time.

RNG loot tables, unless you get something equally good every time, is inherently awful game design, and this game has been demonstrably good example of how awful it can truly get.

Archived