The fire book feels like a willow thing

I agree but I'm kinda grateful it's not, I wouldn't like Willow to be doomed to have another boring perk that would limit any future change to her, better having a big cool perk that changes her gameplay than a bunch of minor ones in my opinion

Fire damage itself needs a rework before we add any fire perks to willow. Using fire staffs or this new fiery pen isn't worth the terrible damage output, mob panic (which is the only good thing) and burnt loot. 

I do enjoy playing willow more than wendy (willows arguably better counterpart) im a dst hipster that way hehe, bernie is so much cooler than abigail and i love the faster cooking speed with the ability to cook on the go with the lighter.

Great Qol perks but yeah i agree with xhyom, willow needs one more bigger cooler (hopefully fire related) perk to finish her off.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

R staves are frequently used against BQ since it's 'free' damage. 

What is the dps of fire damage? Isn't it something like 120 over like 5secs? Not worth the hassle of switching to fire staff every 5secs or using up red gems which can be used to make purple gems.

Barely saves any time for such a high resource cost. Better off taking them red gems to fuel winonas catapults for the fight.

6 hours ago, Gashzer said:

What is the dps of fire damage? Isn't it something like 120 over like 5secs? Not worth the hassle of switching to fire staff every 5secs or using up red gems which can be used to make purple gems.

Barely saves any time for such a high resource cost. Better off taking them red gems to fuel winonas catapults for the fight.

Better off using 25 moon rocks and 2 purple gems and 3 more gems and a ton of rocks than using a few red gems. You are making the fight take way longer doing all of that extra work. 

I hope they eventually give Willow some more love, for a character who revolves around fire so much I'm surprised they didn't give Willow a special sort of fire which would not burn mob drops to give her combat a hot touch. I would also personally love to see special interactions with items such as the firestaff and scalemail similar to Walters special interaction with glommer goop but with more practical application.  

3 hours ago, TheTrueStickman said:

disagree with the book seeming like her thing, since its about controlling fire, while Willow wants fire to be anything but controlled.

exactly. This is so obvious 

There r so few wicker players on here so everyone else is just trying to take their chunk out of her refresh lol instead of being concerned about making her better. Between this and the rain book.. Can the old lady catch a break? 

21 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

And now I'm angry about the Willow rework again. Thanks OP.

Anyways, yeah. Definitely should be a Willow thing.

Honestly, I'm just glad to see people acknowledging that Willow is in need of some love. For the longest time I've always felt she was kind of underwhelming compared to most of the cast but she's almost never mentioned whenever talk of characters in need of a buff comes up.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Better off using 25 moon rocks and 2 purple gems and 3 more gems and a ton of rocks than using a few red gems. You are making the fight take way longer doing all of that extra work. 

25 moon rocks? Lunar island + archives, both quite peaceful biomes i might add, have more than enough moon rocks for all your character swapping needs. Digging graves will get you the 2 blue and red gems you need.

Start as winona, you can reliably kill bee queen by day 10-13 on a solo world, grinding out catapults using nitre gens, swap out the nitre gens with gem gens after fight then switch to whoever after and you still benefit from being easily able to farm bee queen every 20days.

Boom easy jellybeans for your playthrough. Grinding worth it in the long run and all done before first winter.

Sadly main issue with Willow is that its hard to balance having a useful fire perk that also fits her personality, since both fire and willow are destructive and like being so, so any non-destructive suggestions don't make much sense for the character in theme, just seeming like she's going against her will, like in her quote of putting out smolders for example.
I'd always prefered the idea of making fire perks her downside and have something else like Bernie be her main upside, which would fit a lot more with how other characters see her pyromania, with disdain instead of reluctant acceptance, this way they'd put up with her not because of her pyromania, but rather despite of it.

35 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Why are you confused? they're right.

Right about the item that extinguishes fires feeling like something that should have belonged to the firestarter?

This would be such a slap in the face to Willow and her as a character. I'm aware of the fire pen you get afterwards, but it's a gimmicky fire staff as a bonus for using the book, not an actual great item.

14 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Right about the item that extinguishes fires feeling like something that should have belonged to the firestarter?

This would be such a slap in the face to Willow and her as a character. I'm aware of the fire pen you get afterwards, but it's a gimmicky fire staff as a bonus for using the book, not an actual great item.

Honestly? Yeah. I don't see why not. Just give her a small sanity penalty for each fire put out and a quote along the lines of "Sorry my pretties, but these aren't for you", and I think it would work pretty well.

And in regard to the fire pen, yes, that's gimmicky in and of itself. But if we go full "Pyromancer/pyrokinetic", then the functionality of the stored fire could be expanded on. For instance, instead of simply making a new item, extinguished flames get stored in her lighter, with the size said lighter's light radius getting larger and larger as more fires are stored in it.

And then instead of simply being an alternative to the fire staff, it could be used to cast a variety of spells. It could be used to cast fires from a distance, sure. But it could also be used to summon "Willow Wisps", Harmless, floating fires that hover around players similarly too Bulbous Lightbugs. Or you could cast it on a creature, which would summon a flaming ring around it to trap it. Not good for increasing your DPS. But still good if you're fighting multiple foes and want to pick them off one by one.

Perhaps I've gone past just "giving Willow this firebook", but I'd say these ideas still fall into the spirit of things. And frankly, even if Willow having any interest in putting out fires would "be a slap in the face to her character", It's still better than the GOD DAMNED TEDDYBEAR that they focused on with her rework instead. And remember Willow wasn't supposed to have her fire immunity post-rework, and the entire forums had too riot for it to be reimplemented? If that doesn't count as a slap in the face, I don't know what does.

Sigh. Sorry. I guess you could say I get a bit heated over the Willow rework.

15 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

If that doesn't count as a slap in the face, I don't know what does.

I had never implied nor mentioned that what they've already done with the character wasn't a slap in the face. I think Willow being able to put out large areas as fire would be just as saddening as what has already been done with the character.

Your ideas are neat, I was just addressing the main post bringing forth the idea of the book mainly focused on extinguishing fires being a willow perk, but the general concept of Willow having a better affinity with the creation of fire is very cool and definitely what I would want, just don't make it about extinguishing her fiery loves, :p.

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I had never implied nor mentioned that what they've already done with the character wasn't a slap in the face. I think Willow being able to put out large areas as fire would be just as saddening as what has already been done with the character.

Your ideas are neat, I was just addressing the main post bringing forth the idea of the book mainly focused on extinguishing fires being a willow perk, but the general concept of Willow having a better affinity with the creation of fire is very cool and definitely what I would want, just don't make it about extinguishing her fiery loves, :p.

That's fair, my main line of logic for that kind of perk is "Picking Willow will already get you insta-kicked on many public servers, so if she gets any more affinity for fire she damned well better be able to put it out just so people can actually play her"

Nobody has it out for Wickerbottom, but surely you see, at least on a superficial level why Willow players would be upset any vaguely fire-related ability that would enable firestarting/fire combat by giving her more player control over extinguishing them, be relegated to an already powerful and purposeful character... while she flounders with her pyromania that the devs have given up on trying to implement as a core mechanic.

I don't think this ability would entirely fit Willow myself either, but Willow seriously needs something. She doesn't have much of an impactful purpose or identity in gameplay, what little she has mostly relegated to Bernie, whom feels entirely disjointed from her.

IMO they should just implement a new form of insanity fires that only Willow herself can see and interact with, and do not actually negatively world resources and base structures. There's just no other way to make her pyromania / general affinity for fire fun and sensible if they're unwilling to give her the ability to control wildfires she creates.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, JosePapp said:

I feel like that level of pyrokynesis is something Willow should have, with her character revolving so much around fire and all

How? Willow is not a Pyrokynesis at least not on the level your wanting to be, in all her vignettes and art for the game Willow needs a fire source to create fires, despite how much she would want to light fires with her mind.. she still is seen holding a torch, her lighter, or a basic household match.

If she was the Pyrokynesis your expecting her to be.. she would just levitate a floating ball of fire above the palm of her hand instead of needing any of those other fire starter items.

Archived