Jump to content

What do you think of the current state of DST?


Recommended Posts

Let me put it this way.. I like the reworks, I like the big updates that add new biomes, mobs, resources and gameplay mechanics- what I do not like at all is how a game I bought with the intention of having a moderate challenge has slowly but surely drifted further and further away from offering me much in the form of challenging content.

Sure: I can go summon a boss or go out of my way to find new content, but when are we going to get content that comes to find us??

I hear ALOT of people complaining about Moon Quay pirates were too difficult: and I as a solo player simply would bell bond a Beefalo, mount their saddle and board them onto my boat

(yes you can carry beef on boats) 

This allowed me even as a solo player to effectively fight the pirates with minimal armor/weapons required.

People simply just don’t play games very smartly… and that’s sad because that’s what the heart and core of survival games SHOULD BE ABOUT..

Instead most cool features/ideas either get scrapped completely or Nerfed out of existence.

There is actual scrapped artwork of a Palmcone Tree Guardian and he looked kinda cool.. but I repeat my statement about drifting further and further away from the survival game i loved it for once being.

I just hope someday Klei finally decides what kind of game franchise they want DS/DST to be, then when they come to that conclusion maybe they can tell us the players of their game what to expect from future updates/sequels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Let me put it this way.. I like the reworks, I like the big updates that add new biomes, mobs, resources and gameplay mechanics- what I do not like at all is how a game I bought with the intention of having a moderate challenge has slowly but surely drifted further and further away from offering me much in the form of challenging content.

Sure: I can go summon a boss or go out of my way to find new content, but when are we going to get content that comes to find us??

when was that changed? old dst content is basically the same except for character reworks and farms

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like where dont starve together is, but i think the game would need a really big shake up to seriously change the game. I dont know what it would entail, but the basic gameplay loop hasnt really changed in any meaningful way in awhile, but i love the polishing. I think the game cant be hard like id like it to be because i know this game too well. Even if a rediculous difficulty was added, i bet it wouldn’t even be that big of a deal for most of us on the forums. It IS a hard game, it didnt become easy it just hasnt gotten any harder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I think the state the game's in currently is... fine. Not perfect, but fine.

Been loving the general trend of how the game has been getting updates and how community feedback has been handled quite a bit. The game might be getting a tad stale, but that just happens when you play the same game for several years, with most updates adding smaller things or content that adds something unintrusive to the over all experience.

That being said though the most recent updates actually helped make the game feel more fresh to me so I'd say the game's heading in a good direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I hear ALOT of people complaining about Moon Quay pirates were too difficult: and I as a solo player simply would bell bond a Beefalo, mount their saddle and board them onto my boat

(yes you can carry beef on boats) 

This allowed me even as a solo player to effectively fight the pirates with minimal armor/weapons required.

People simply just don’t play games very smartly… and that’s sad because that’s what the heart and core of survival games SHOULD BE ABOUT..

Some players don't want to strictly follow a "meta" strategy to solve a problem that can have different solutions, it is agreed that they were overtuned but this isn't because players "don't play smartly".

On 7/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, Mike23Ua said:

There is actual scrapped artwork of a Palmcone Tree Guardian and he looked kinda cool.

You mean this?

2022-07-06_02-34-39.thumb.png.a4c456a74dcfaa6008e56ec463f0aa32.png

 

image.png.770a2394b2c67e362853f1f3273696e8.png

I feel bad now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It alright. Moon Quay was a fairly substantial update and I'm fine waiting longer in-between updates if it means we get higher quality stuff. I really enjoyed Moon Quay and Waterlogged, and hope we continue getting updates similar in style to those. Also it's nice that Klei is willing to listen to community feedback more and hope that continues for future stuff. They added another Wigfrid skin after two years. It alright.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DST atm for me feels....weird.

I love a lot of things about it, but I also don't like Klei tends to... let some stuffs/stories never finished.

Like with the Ancient Gateway arc, then the Moon arc, which never really explains who are Them, and why Them are returning, then that portal in the archive. In fact, the whole archive overall seems very underused. It's supposed to be the place filled with secret knowledge and yet we only get like, 3 recipes from it. Also the whole Cave feels empty as hell. Only the ruins and the grotto have any interest for me, the rest is incredibly meh.

I enjoy playing with new stuffs Klei adds in, it's a lot and most of the time they are great content that are free. But I do hope they revisit the old stuffs/stories in the future.

One small thing personally, can we get a plant that grows in Summer? We have gotten a lot of stuffs growing in Winter but having a plant that can resist the scorching Summer heat would be awesome imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spino43 said:

DST atm for me feels....weird.

I love a lot of things about it, but I also don't like Klei tends to... let some stuffs/stories never finished.

Like with the Ancient Gateway arc, then the Moon arc, which never really explains who are Them, and why Them are returning, then that portal in the archive. In fact, the whole archive overall seems very underused. It's supposed to be the place filled with secret knowledge and yet we only get like, 3 recipes from it. Also the whole Cave feels empty as hell. Only the ruins and the grotto have any interest for me, the rest is incredibly meh.

I enjoy playing with new stuffs Klei adds in, it's a lot and most of the time they are great content that are free. But I do hope they revisit the old stuffs/stories in the future.

One small thing personally, can we get a plant that grows in Summer? We have gotten a lot of stuffs growing in Winter but having a plant that can resist the scorching Summer heat would be awesome imo.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Great_Tree_Trunk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i like how is it going with all the qol content and how cool are the new biomes, bosses and mechanics. Is a way better game that the one i bough many years ago. Special mention to waterlogged, eye of the storm, rwys and moon quay updates

i just hope they added more survival content since most content lately have been focused on base building, optional bosses and optional biomes. Maybe one day we will get "through the ages" kind of updates arc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have still yet to give me five dollars so that I can purchase the Five Dollar Your Way Meal available only at Burger King so I have no choice but to say the game sucks. I'm sorry but my hand is forced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the game, it is fun and replayable for me. Sure I do the same thing over and over again and never actually kill the biggest bosses (Fuelweaver, Celestial, Shadow Pieces, Toadstood) but I still manage to have fun. I don't end up making a mega base either though I would like to someday I just tend to run out of patience with it or see no value in doing so. I make my own challenges primarily in the form of relying on Klaus for resurrection methods since it is so easy to live forever if you make an effigy or always have an amulet on you.

My biggest gripe with the game is more so a personal issue and not anything Klei can solve. I just want the desire to continue playing on my world after I defeat Fuelweaver/Celestial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like it, not love it though

the content is cool, even if its not "dark" enough.

there's one thing I dislike and it's the lategame.

right after clearing ruins, what you have to do is... boss prep for raid bosses, and the CC quest line.

wich involve barely involves exploration, other than going to point A, do boring quest then point B, and quest again.

idk but it doesn't feels right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love it, every part of DST, even if I may not always agree with every decision. Klei knows their game better than anyone, I trust whatever direction they choose to take the series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like that they actually seem to be committed to fixing the lack of ocean content, although it feels like they are still a bit too conservative with both the size and number of special locations that can be encountered. Having only 9 overall great trees with only 3 biomes, only 1 monkey island, etc, means that it's still going to be a really long while until the ocean feels more populated.

 

On the other hand, I'd also like to see some changes to some of the land and caves content. A lot of biomes feel practically redundant, like the swamp biome in caves. Not to mention a fair few other biomes essentially derive all their value from things that can be moved, like grass tufts, trees, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Spino43 said:

I enjoy playing with new stuffs Klei adds in, it's a lot and most of the time they are great content that are free. But I do hope they revisit the old stuffs/stories in the future.

Closure for Mumsy and Billiam would be nice. Maybe next Cawnival?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DST has been ruined! They made the game too easy by adding the cannons that can basically 1 shot everything. Another thing, the deerclops boss fight is unbalanced, how does Klei expect you to beat a mandatory 4000 health boss with only your fists!

Also, I learned that apparently there are bosses who are harder then deerclops and spawn when cutting down tress, seriously wth klei. Honestly Klei has no idea how to design games with game design they need to higher a game designer (who graduated in the arts of game design) to design their game with professional game design that only a professional game designer would know. Design. 

*Hire.

Spoiler

Honestly, DST is in a amazing spot right now. I'll have to say my favorite part of DST right now thanks to the new update is sailing, even solo it's quite fun now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd say it's not that uncompromising like it was several years ago, and it's hard to get enough spools for all the good skins because they're being released too fast, but excluding that it's fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DST is amazing. Considering how we get so many meaningful updates *for free*. I don't take any of this for granted and while it's not easy to satisfy everyone, this dev team in my opinion has done an incredible job so far with DST. 

 

As far as the complaints about the difficulty level of the game, my question is how would you want to make it more difficult? The thing is that as you progress after your 2nd or 3rd year, nothing can really kill you anymore because you have had so much time to prepare for the dangers that are in the constant. Sure, we can scale the difficulty, like the old hound waves. But those were so annoying that people just cheesed them (hound trap/tooth trap/beef herd/disconnect, etc.) and no one actually fought 8+ hounds at once (because it was pretty much impossible). 

 

While I'm down for more boss fights and challenges, if we take a look at the big picture, there should be a reward for surviving past 2 or 3 years. That reward is building a pretty base where you can hang out with your friends. The reward shouldn't really be another 10 hounds that will stunlock you to death if you can't find some way to unload them. 

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

People simply just don’t play games very smartly… and that’s sad because that’s what the heart and core of survival games SHOULD BE ABOUT..

The beauty of DST is that you are presented with a general survival problem and have 18 unique characters who have their own perks and drawbacks to survive. There shouldn't be just 1 or even just 3 ways to go about surviving a particular challenge. Just because others don't handle a task in the most "optimal" way in your view doesn't mean that they aren't being smart. Perhaps the attack rate of the prime ape was a bit too unforgiving.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PetulantPansy said:

DST is amazing. Considering how we get so many meaningful updates *for free*.

i mean its a live service game. They make the majority of their money selling skins and the updates make sure returning players stay invested in the game to - well buy more skins. Not saying thats the only reason they put out updates but that is their business model.

As for the actual state of DST - i think its way better than it was a year or 2 ago. Theres more new dev faces so theyve clearly been hiring to support the game with more content and thats great. MoonQuay update feels like the first update in a long time that has had a ton of new stuff and ideas all at once so hopefully that continues.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, sudoku said:

i mean its a live service game. They make the majority of their money selling skins and the updates make sure returning players stay invested in the game to - well buy more skins. Not saying thats the only reason they put out updates but that is their business model.

 

The skins are just cosmetics and I'd wager that the vast majority of the player base doesn't buy skins each update..... :/ 

 

Free content updates is one of the biggest draws of DST imo....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...