woodie mains, how do you survive in a world with the moon storm event running?

firstly, i am not a woddie main, and the last time i played him, i didnt like so much the transformations every full moon, because you drop your hand and head item, even if i transformed into weregoose, i didnt want to leave my walking cane on the ground because i feared dont remembering where it was, also the fact u become woodie again with 0 hunger, it was very sad having 150 of hunger and in just a moment having 0.

also, I couldnt use his weremoose form to fight very wel (the 0,9x speed is very hard to kite, and the same for charging, it was very hard for me to properly use charging to dodge), otherwise, weregoose was very good to ocean exploration, and werebeaver wanst that good for me, since werebeaver dont spawn tree guards, and i need living logs to craft dark swords, and in the process of spawning tree guards I also get lots of wood. so yeah, i hadnt reason to use weremoose neither werebeaver (my bad if these two forms are actually good and the problem is my skill issue)

so, not so long ago, a person entered in the carrot bunch (endless server), and the server was with the moonstorm event activated and he/she chose woodie, then, that woodie died so many times, due to starvation until he/she left the server after many deaths.  Unfortunatelly, I couldnt help that woodie, i was far away from the pórtal and i was doing the wagstaff task in spring with heavy rain.

After this big text (and lots of grammar mistakes XD) I was curious about how you woodie mains survive the moonstorm event where every night is a full moon, and how do you kill celestial champion? the transformation in the middle of the fight isnt bad? or is it good?

I usually change character to anything else. Wendy or Warly, or WX... Word of advice - always carry some food as Woodie and maybe totems to do not turn into geese while having nightmare creatures on the back.

But there are few tricks that other people use to avoid transformation:
- hide in caves for night
- guess sleeping all night was preventing transformation but dunno if fixed
- use snurtle shell to hide in (not tested by me)

12 minutes ago, dois raios said:

and i need living logs to craft dark swords, and in the process of spawning tree guards I also get lots of wood

Woodie has extra chances for treeguards if use Lucy for chopping, not sure if you mean this. ^ ^ but yep, werebeaver has 0 chances, for all wood and no treeguard needs.

The moose’s best skills are mostly the free armor and the charge, which lets you deal a pretty strong AOE against enemies you normally can’t use AOE for (or it would be ineficient) like hordes of nightmare creatures in the ruins, endless frog rains, 3 spider queens at the same time, 20 treeguards at the same time, etc. 

The beaver is also mostly to get wood or to mine for free things that are hard to mine, like marble or opening hundreds of stone fruits. For living logs just use Lucy, then kill all the treeguards with the moose.

That said, yeah I quit maining Woodie when the moonstorm event started existing. Playing Woodie in a world with the moonstorm event on is a nightmare, and the main solution is just to not play Woodie anymore when that happens.
Which is sad TBH, it shouldn’t be like that. Hopefully it will be addressed at some QOL.

Personally, I haven't progressed a world to the moonstorm event yet as I normally play with friends but when I play Woodie I'm usually a bit gung-ho with how often I make totems and transform. And the way I play is if I know I'm going not transform for a while I'll get my hunger satiated, but if I might or if a full moon is coming up I'll keep my hunger very low. Very micromanagey but during the moonstorm event I suppose I'd just always play like a full moon is coming up. If I'm with friends and they're the ones doing the moonstorm even I'd probably just let them handle the quest and then come out for the Celestial Champion fight, since I can just meet them at the lunar island via goose Jesus :wilson_dorky:

4 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

change a character before summoning a moonstorm lol.

bruh, you dont solve problems swaping characters, nothing against people who do this, but im trying to never swap characters again in servers, i was that guy who change characters for anything, now i trying to use the character that I selected in his/her full potential, swaping characters is an addiction that i regret getting.

4 hours ago, dois raios said:

bruh, you dont solve problems swaping characters, nothing against people who do this, but im trying to never swap characters again in servers, i was that guy who change characters for anything, now i trying to use the character that I selected in his/her full potential, swaping characters is an addiction that i regret getting.

Same! and by staying with the same character throughout the whole gameplay you start noticing the characters that have a strong late game, those that are okayish, those that are meh, and those that just suck.

Woodie has an amazing and fun early game, but his late game was always on the meh side. By then you can solve most things the wereforms give you in much better ways:

• Transport on land is hundreds of times better with a beefalo
  • Transport and activities at the sea become much more efficient with a boat
  • To fight just equip thulecite tier armor and dark sword, you'll do better at most fights than with the moose.

Probably the only things Woodie can keep of the wereforms in the late game are saving up some resources when mining marble/opening stonefruit, and killing groups of spider queens/nightmare creatures/treeguards at the same time.
Still it was an okay choice to stay as in the late game, since you didn't have to transform if you didn't want to, so you had a slightly better Wilson.

Then came the moonstorm...

What I think Woodie needs is:

1) Some kind of progress to the character. Perhaps as it was stated by other forumites, allow him to wear an amulet while transformed, just like you can with backpacks. That will give some form of progress to the wereforms (speed with magi, defense with chilling amulet, gathering with lazy forager, etc)
2) Some way to protect the character from the moonstorm event. Perhaps a unique new amulet only he can craft that while wearing it blocks the instant transformation, and stores energy of the moon over time exposed to it, which you can later use to give buffs to your wereforms. Or something like that. Some kind of progress in that side as well. 

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Same! and by staying with the same character throughout the whole gameplay you start noticing the characters that have a strong late game, those that are okayish, those that are meh, and those that just suck.

Woodie has an amazing and fun early game, but his late game was always on the meh side. By then you can solve most things the wereforms give you in much better ways:

• Transport on land is hundreds of times better with a beefalo
  • Transport and activities at the sea become much more efficient with a boat
  • To fight just equip thulecite tier armor and dark sword, you'll do better at most fights than with the moose.

Probably the only things Woodie can keep of the wereforms in the late game are saving up some resources when mining marble/opening stonefruit, and killing groups of spider queens/nightmare creatures/treeguards at the same time.
Still it was an okay choice to stay as in the late game, since you didn't have to transform if you didn't want to, so you had a slightly better Wilson.

Then came the moonstorm...

What I think Woodie needs is:

1) Some kind of progress to the character. Perhaps as it was stated by other forumites, allow him to wear an amulet while transformed, just like you can with backpacks. That will give some form of progress to the wereforms (speed with magi, defense with chilling amulet, gathering with lazy forager, etc)
2) Some way to protect the character from the moonstorm event. Perhaps a unique new amulet only he can craft that while wearing it blocks the instant transformation, and stores energy of the moon over time exposed to it, which you can later use to give buffs to your wereforms. Or something like that. Some kind of progress in that side as well. 

i honestly think that wonkey is a great solution to woodie but wont be against of some love for the lumberjack

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i honestly think that wonkey is a great solution to woodie but wont be against of some love for the lumberjack

I mean it does solve the main issue, but you are no longer Woodie really.
So even if you technically didn't change characters using the portal, you still did, but with a workaround.

This part is more of a personal opinion, but by doing that you also swapped to a character that is not better than Woodie in any aspect (at least for now) except for the part of not being cursed during the daily full moons. Personally if I had to choose between Wonkey or switching characters I'd just go to the celestial portal and swap to anyone else, preferably some character with a strong late game.

9 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I mean it does solve the main issue, but you are no longer Woodie really.
So even if you technically didn't change characters using the portal, you still did, but with a workaround.

This part is more of a personal opinion, but by doing that you also swapped to a character that is not better than Woodie in any aspect (at least for now) except for the part of not being cursed during the daily full moons. Personally if I had to choose between Wonkey or switching characters I'd just go to the celestial portal and swap to anyone else, preferably some character with a strong late game.

totally agree but also for those who dont like to use portal for non decorative purpose is a great addition

When I play Woodie, I put my hand and head item into my inventory before transforming, so that's never a problem for me. In the case I forgot to do this, I stay to transform back or come back immediately before retransforming (but only if it is an important item).

I also never had problems with the moon storms, because at the state, when they can occur, I just have enough food to heal myself. At full moon nights I tend to transform in the desired form just before night starts to use the form longer. And usually there is no activated moon storm event when you are entering a server. When there is one, just leave. Sorry, but I just don't see the problem.

3 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

When I play Woodie, I put my hand and head item into my inventory before transforming, so that's never a problem for me. In the case I forgot to do this, I stay to transform back or come back immediately before retransforming (but only if it is an important item).

I also never had problems with the moon storms, because at the state, when they can occur, I just have enough food to heal myself. At full moon nights I tend to transform in the desired form just before night starts to use the form longer. And usually there is no activated moon storm event when you are entering a server. When there is one, just leave. Sorry, but I just don't see the problem.

i see a big problem, transforming each night is very tedious and i cant imagine the pain to farm all the materials for the cc fight and if you want to fight multiple celestial champions... gl wasting tons of minutes just waiting to come back to human form

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i see a big problem, transforming each night is very tedious and i cant imagine the pain to farm all the materials for the cc fight and if you want to fight multiple celestial champions... gl wasting tons of minutes just waiting to come back to human form

This is only a problem, if you play solo, because with more people the preperations aren't a problem. You can also farm (maybe even faster) with the forms and you can travel faster as goose, so you can also safe a lot of time. It's all about the management.

1 minute ago, Queron81 said:

This is only a problem, if you play solo, because with more people the preperations aren't a problem. You can also farm (maybe even faster) with the forms and you can travel faster as goose, so you can also safe a lot of time. It's all about the management.

basically "is not a problem cuz others can do the work"

you cant farm faster because you cant interact with with many things needed in the storm and you will need to wait each night to continue and, as i said, if you plant to fight more than 1 cc you will waste a lot of time because each fight takes some minutes

1 hour ago, Owlrust said:

With the upcoming update, you could just transform into Wonkey until the moon storm event ends. But that's a future thing.

The thing is, in some servers people just keeps the moonstorm permanently, to never have to deal with light issues, or Charlie, or Wavey jones again. So Woodie would be forced to remain as Wonkey for the rest of the playthrough or (the better option IMO) change character. I still think its kinda sad, and a third option where you can stay as Woodie and actually do stuff, should be added.

33 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The thing is, in some servers people just keeps the moonstorm permanently, to never have to deal with light issues, or Charlie, or Wavey jones again. So Woodie would be forced to remain as Wonkey for the rest of the playthrough or (the better option IMO) change character. I still think its kinda sad, and a third option where you can stay as Woodie and actually do stuff, should be added.

True, that can definitely be a problem. One solution I have heard, albeit not a great one, is to use a Bush Hat to hide for the duration of every full moon as well.

The celestial crown should keep woodie from transforming.

Woodie can't use the crown when he transform anyways and it can be explained by having dominance over the moons influence. 

Wonky is cool but I don't see it as a solution tbh. As a Wormwood main, I want to play Wormwood not Wonkey. To me, Wonkey is a punishment. I also don't see it as a solution to being woodie during a moonstorm, just a cheaper more convenient character swap. 

Archived