Pirate monkeys and their uses.

Hey all! I'm sure you've seen the new teaser for the "next big update" we've had mentioned for weeks. What we got was pirate monkeys, so I'll drop my analysis and speculation here. When the Klei team was still working on boats (before their release), a concept was left behind known as "boat AI", where mobs could control boats. I feel as if these pirate monkeys could either be a random spawn out in the ocean on their own boat to pursuit the player, or there might be an entirely new island. I do think it would be cool, (although useless), to have an "autopilot" for boats, to let a tamed monkey take the wheel. (Or have random pirate attacks out at sea.) What're your thoughts? I'd love to hear them! 

silhouette_ooh_01.png.efe5ea6a7f96e2b07e5d1aa427fb13e4.png

I've seen so many people complain that the Cawnival doesn't fit the theme of DST, but to me this definitely doesn't. Everything about it belongs more to shipwrecked than DST, where no pirate related things exist at all.

I'll have to wait and see. After all, I originally didn't think the terraria crossover would be good, and yet I love it!

I have no idea but if Klei does not make some clever in game pun about the board games/toys I had as a child with this I will be moderately disappointed.

Im pretty sure most people have played with a Barrel full of Monkeys right? They usually come in a container shaped like a gunpowder/beer keg- and the have arms that are curved like an S so you can connect and stack them.

886D4DA3-0E32-4D0C-8DDB-27AA9BA98D4B.thumb.jpeg.119ffef31a142d4cee47c7df53ba8a6f.jpeg

THAT is Exactly what I want in the game.. I don’t want them to ride around on their own cookie shaped boats, I want them floating about in the water inside a Barrel, then when they attempt to attack you.. they stack up like a barrel of Monkeys and fall onto your boat.

These “Barrels” could contain Monkeys, or the could contain useful supplies like Boards, Rope, Gunpowder Etc.. Basically a Surprise Mystery box at sea.

Thats how I’d like to see them represented AT SEA..

on a land biome though.. I’d like to see them running around, perhaps some even hidden in trees (please Klei Palm Trees when?) and when the player attempts to chop the tree down for resources one or two of these little guys have a chance of jumping out (but only on the islands they frequent)

Other monkey types I would like to see are snowy white ones in a frigidly cold biome where it can throw frozen large chunks of Ice/Rock towards you.

Oh and of course Wilbur as a playable Character. :wilson_love:

16 hours ago, SmallBirdHungry said:

I've seen so many people complain that the Cawnival doesn't fit the theme of DST, but to me this definitely doesn't. Everything about it belongs more to shipwrecked than DST, where no pirate related things exist at all.

I'll have to wait and see. After all, I originally didn't think the terraria crossover would be good, and yet I love it!

But the Cawnival doesn’t fit the theme of DS.. key word- Don’t Starve, because as painful as it is for me to say this.. Don’t Starve Together can’t make up its mind what type of game or genre it wants to be.

The Cawnival However is boring.. it goes against everything Dont Starve stands for.

I explained in another thread where events like WintersFeast, Hallowed Nights & even Year of the Catcoon while different- Still fit into the Theme of DS.. because each of those events still requires you to actually engage with various biomes throughout the world- actually forcing you to explore and learn more about the game.

Cawnival however… does not yet it gives some of the best rewards you can get.

An example of how the Cawnival SHOULD work is that the Carnival games should require gears, electrical doodads or at least frazzled wires to create: Which would at least make the player actually have to explore the game and do something..

Perhaps during the Cawnival random Crowkids can be found throughout the world (like Carrat hiding in a Beefalos fur) Maybe you can see a CrowKid in danger that flies away before being attacked by the enemy mob- leaving behind a new feather ingredient used to craft the various Cawnival scarfs/clothing?

Just: Something besides standing at base literally picking up seeds as they land nearby would be nice.

I actually enjoy WF, Hallowed Nights AND YoTCC because they all still make me play and enjoy the core content of the game- Meanwhile: Cawnival is just sitting at base playing Mario Party inspired amusement games.

Since, from time-to-time, on these forums was circulated the idea of "pirate monkeys", probably it comes to no surprise KLei listened in some capacity and added such shenanigans. Would be interesting if this is the Hounds equivalent at sea or some particular set-pieces, perhaps on a special, thematic island (with various biome-specific elements). In 1st scenario, hope they won't be too annoying or out-of-place, like the periodic Varg attacks we had at beginning of Hound Waves redesign Beta. This update could also bring another SW character, namely Wilbur and/or Woodlegs.

2 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Since, from time-to-time, on these forums was circulated the idea of "pirate monkeys", probably it comes to no surprise KLei listened in some capacity and added such shenanigans. Would be interesting if this is the Hounds equivalent at sea or some particular set-pieces, perhaps on a special, thematic island (with various biome-specific elements). In 1st scenario, hope they won't be too annoying or out-of-place, like the periodic Varg attacks we had at beginning of Hound Waves redesign Beta. This update could also bring another SW character, namely Wilbur and/or Woodlegs.

monkius shootius

14 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

Hey! I like mini Vargy...

At beginning of said Beta there weren't the current Varglets, but full Vargs, I believe up to 3 per late-game waves - quite the overpowered force if one wasn't ready with some sorts of disposal setup or consistent mobs to temporary divert their focus.

Considering they have bandanas on I'm going to assume they are under some kind of establishment. Wilbur is the monkey king after all, from shipwrecked. So, from a lore standpoint IDK. I would have to guess we either are just getting new mobs (Maybe Floaty boaties(sea knights from shipwrecked)), some new islands with monkeys to fill some space or Wilbur. 

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

it gives some of the best rewards you can get

Which ones are you reffering to? I feel like the rewards from the Cawnival are all either near useless or purely decorative.

In my opinion, the cawnival is fun and that's all it needs to be. The year of the catcoon isn't useful, but it's fun and adorable. If you actually have some sort of deep hatred for the cawnival, just disable it in your worlds.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have no idea but if Klei does not make some clever in game pun about the board games/toys I had as a child with this I will be moderately disappointed.

Im pretty sure most people have played with a Barrel full of Monkeys right? They usually come in a container shaped like a gunpowder/beer keg- and the have arms that are curved like an S so you can connect and stack them.

Splumonkeys used to spawn from barrels but it was replaced with the pods. 

2 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

i hope when they possibly add them they wont just not explain what is going on with the ruins monkeys and why they arent at sea

Splumonkeys are smart enough to understand their name and as such stay underground. What sort of a splumonkey would they be if they weren't even spelunking? 

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But the Cawnival doesn’t fit the theme of DS.. key word- Don’t Starve, because as painful as it is for me to say this.. Don’t Starve Together can’t make up its mind what type of game or genre it wants to be.

I don't think the cawnival is supposed to fit into DST. They are a traveling carnival from somewhere else. They bring a little bit of their world into ours. As for the "don't starve" I don't think I quite understand, the food they brought is abysmal. It's just for fun

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I actually enjoy WF, Hallowed Nights AND YoTCC because they all still make me play and enjoy the core content of the game- Meanwhile: Cawnival is just sitting at base playing Mario Party inspired amusement games.

So what your telling me is it lulls players into a false sense of security of playing games while hounds come and munch on the survivors butts no wonder Charlie doesn't attack them devious and clever. 

4 hours ago, SmallBirdHungry said:

Which ones are you reffering to? I feel like the rewards from the Cawnival are all either near useless or purely decorative.

For real the prizes are purely decorative/for fun. I really wish there was a prize or two that were actually really useful/strong to keep us coming back to the cawnival games. Something that makes us want to play the games from time to time constantly because of how useful the prizes we can get from tokens are. 

Prime Ape Pirates boss fight:

You will find them sailing around an underwater sunken chest after 10 days of the chest spawning, but only if you haven't interacted with the chest yet.

They are very defensive for their treasure, and will attack anyone nearby (aggro radius would be a decent bit less than a screen so you don't unfairly bump into them in multiplayer).

The ship has 5,000 HP and each patch repairs 300 HP. You can damage the ship with your typical weapons.

On the first phase, the captain attempts to ram other players' boats, while the other monkeys repair their ship whenever the ship takes enough damage. When the captain successfully rams a boat, you can knock a monkey into the water while it tries to patch up the ship's leak. Phase 2 starts after you wipe out 2 out of 5 (excluding captain because the captain is never vulnerable), or after they use 10 out of 20 boat patches.

On phase 2, the captain steers away from player boats, but just in range of the cannons. The other monkeys aim and fire the cannons, and if you knocked any monkeys into the water, this attack will be easier to avoid. You can avoid this by rowing away from the cannonballs indicated by shadows. Phase 3 begins when the ship is destroyed.

On phase 3, the captain jumps onto the players' boats, and can jump boat to boat. It will extend the plank and attempt to push the nearest player off the plank. If it gets hit by other players during this, it will stop pushing the player and attack with a cutlass sword. It has an AoE slash attack with roughly the same attack period and range as Krampus. After every 2nd-5th slash (rng), it will lunge forward and stab (goes across the entire boat, but you can react and dodge to the side). It has 6,000 HP and appears to be wearing very tough armor.

The captain drops "Monkey's Cutlass" and you can repair the ship and use it for yourself, which is much larger than a regular boat, has twice the HP, and has built-in cannons that require gunpowder and can be aimed. The cutlass has infinite durability and deals 230 damage, but it's heavy and the player will become too tired to swing it until 10 seconds pass. You can still use any other item or weapon during this period though.

Don't take this too seriously, I didn't put much thought into how this would be balanced.

11 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

886D4DA3-0E32-4D0C-8DDB-27AA9BA98D4B.thumb.jpeg.119ffef31a142d4cee47c7df53ba8a6f.jpeg

THAT is Exactly what I want in the game.. I don’t want them to ride around on their own cookie shaped boats, I want them floating about in the water inside a Barrel, then when they attempt to attack you.. they stack up like a barrel of Monkeys and fall onto your boat.

These “Barrels” could contain Monkeys, or the could contain useful supplies like Boards, Rope, Gunpowder Etc.. Basically a Surprise Mystery box at sea.

Thats how I’d like to see them represented AT SEA..

on a land biome though.. I’d like to see them running around, perhaps some even hidden in trees (please Klei Palm Trees when?) and when the player attempts to chop the tree down for resources one or two of these little guys have a chance of jumping out (but only on the islands they frequent)

Other monkey types I would like to see are snowy white ones in a frigidly cold biome where it can throw frozen large chunks of Ice/Rock towards you.

Oh and of course Wilbur as a playable Character. :wilson_love:

The Cawnival However is boring.. it goes against everything Dont Starve stands for.

I explained in another thread where events like WintersFeast, Hallowed Nights & even Year of the Catcoon while different- Still fit into the Theme of DS.. because each of those events still requires you to actually engage with various biomes throughout the world- actually forcing you to explore and learn more about the game.

Cawnival however… does not yet it gives some of the best rewards you can get.

An example of how the Cawnival SHOULD work is that the Carnival games should require gears, electrical doodads or at least frazzled wires to create: Which would at least make the player actually have to explore the game and do something..

Perhaps during the Cawnival random Crowkids can be found throughout the world (like Carrat hiding in a Beefalos fur) Maybe you can see a CrowKid in danger that flies away before being attacked by the enemy mob- leaving behind a new feather ingredient used to craft the various Cawnival scarfs/clothing?

Just: Something besides standing at base literally picking up seeds as they land nearby would be nice.

Back in the caves beta, the Splumonkeys used to come from barrels. I absolutely love your idea of the floating barrels, though. It seems so "don't starve"-like, and seems plausible! What I was also hoping for was either boat skins, or more types of boats, too. A "monkey raft" made out twigs and grass could be fun.

And yeah, the Cawnival could use some work.

image_2022-06-03_212242296.png

Archived