What do you expect from this year cawnival?

15 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Cool, when are they coming to console?

Hide contents

Please lie to me.

Tonight, Sony and Microsoft personally called me to let me know they'll be allowing mods on console, :encouragement:

58 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

and then klei would realize hey these fit in pretty well actually! corvus feels a bit out of place when hes just hanging around at the portal, but i think him and especially pearl fit right in with what DST has become over the years.

You mean, they forgot the principles and warped the game around the idea of having friendly npcs?

I don't much like falling in love with something, only for it to abandon the reason so many people fell in love with it.

While I would like the event to actually be a bit more... tied to the core gameplay loop. Truth be told, The only thing I genuinly want for the event is for it to actually feel like a summer event. 

The original event felt less like a summer Cawnival and more of an easter/spring Cawnival. The colors weren't particularly summery, and there was a lot of focus on eggs and hatchlings; particularly in the minigames. Hell, you could even argue that there's more a tie too Autumn, sense that's the season corn is usally associated with.

There's just... nothing that makes the Cawnival a summer event, despite what Klei wants us to belive.

25 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

You mean, they forgot the principles and warped the game around the idea of having friendly npcs?

I don't much like falling in love with something, only for it to abandon the reason so many people fell in love with it.

I think this is a fair and reasonable thing to say, and depending on a persons age my directly impact how they feel about the changes example an older person like me (35) would feel like DST is starting to feel less and less like a Dont Starve Game.. and more like some wacky Spin-Off that strays further & further away from series roots.

Meanwhile a Younger person 18 or Younger likely won’t understand or even care how different and away from the franchise roots the franchise is straying.

I was there and witnessed first hand when Resident Evil went from Puzzle Survival Horror to full blown Third Person Shooter Action game- I was ALSO lucky enough to live to see that franchise make a proper return to its puzzle survival horror roots.

I would absolutely hate to see DS/DST repeat the same mistakes, and at the rate of my rapidly declining health: I May not ever live to see the franchise make a proper return to its roots.

But the question Klei needs to ask themselves is this-

Why do so so many people frequently ask for a new single player DLC or the porting of SW/Hamlet into DST?

The answer should be fairly obvious- but people want more of what made the DS franchise the DS Franchise.

If Klei wants to make a wacky Spin-Off that continues to stray further away from the franchise roots then they should release that as ITS OWN GAME and not try to change or adapt DS/DST into this new vision.

But that’s just my point of view as an Adult who wants the game I paid for to still play as and provide content in the same category as I paid for and expected it to deliver.

I can provide a million and one crazy ideas to improve MidSummers Cawnival to Appeal to both silly party games AND those who want more survival gameplay such as a new tackle/food you can unlock at ticket booth called Squid Bait- Which aggro nearby Skittersquid into coming ashore and attacking you.

But Ultimately Klei/Tencent make the decisions All I can do is provide feedback that may or may not be taken into consideration.

3 hours ago, Notecja said:

Better minigames (and little more rewarding, as most items you can get is pretty useless, decoration only)
Rewards that actually can impact game

I think giving the event “better” rewards is missing the point. It’s a “for fun” event, nobody plays it to gain an advantage. I personally wish we got more decorations, as I’m not the only player who enjoys building and decorating your own little comfortable carnival. 

5 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

While I would like the event to actually be a bit more... tied to the core gameplay loop. Truth be told, The only thing I genuinly want for the event is for it to actually feel like a summer event. 

The original event felt less like a summer Cawnival and more of an easter/spring Cawnival. The colors weren't particularly summery, and there was a lot of focus on eggs and hatchlings; particularly in the minigames. Hell, you could even argue that there's more a tie too Autumn, sense that's the season corn is usally associated with.

There's just... nothing that makes the Cawnival a summer event, despite what Klei wants us to belive.

Unless you want to have a parade of colorful bird dancing then there no way to make midsummer cawnival feel summery it mid not early summer and most Summer cawnival don't really feel like summer, and how would you make midsummer cawnival feel summery with out losing the carnival aspect?

What about a Water Pistol prize!!!

Little plastic watergun that you can re- fill from ponds etc like the watering can.

Can put out fires with it put more importantly you can shoot mobs/bosses with it to make them wet for extra electric damage!

In multiplayer can shoot other players with it to cool them down and make them wet during summer.

7 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

there isnt really a huge difference between having pigmen, bunnymen, pig king or yaartopus and having a giant magical crow that go arround magical world performing a carnival just to get shinny gold and some seeds, maybe he even perform the carnival in the hamlet city too. Srly, what is the difference between that and PK. If you drink something in a bar the waiter might look friendly but only because you are a costumer, maybe he hates you

and sure, pearl is friendly but l think is interesting to help someone to survive and even find her possesed by the moon husband

until klei decides to increase the survival content (last survival oriented content were antlion and disease...) these distractions for late game are welcome

and is just an event to atract players during periods of no content while they work on more important stuff. As i said, i would rather prefer survival content updates x1000 than these events but is very clear and understandable the reasons behind these

On 5/27/2022 at 10:26 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Exactly, which is why I can’t seem to enjoy the Year of and Cawnival events because they quite literally make a joke out of what the DS franchise is/was and everything it stood for.

They are fun little “side Distractions” but that’s all they EVER should have been.

Klei still has 3 more Character Reworks, 3 Game Content Updates themed “Setting the Stage”, And 2 More QoL updates outside of Carnival Games and Year of Events that they got to get through the roadmap and we’re already headed into June.. Im not even going to hold my breath that one of those 3 Content Updates will launch alongside the Silly Mini Games.

Im slowly but surely starting to lose hope & faith for this game-

You know those online surveys where it asks you do you expect X named company to do what’s right?

Heres where I would check mark Don’t Know/Uncertain where I use to without Hesitation would’ve marked Heck Yes!

I can only hope those big announcements are something good- perhaps the reveal of the PS5/Series X/S Remastered version of the game, or maybe Character/skins useage in Offline play, or Maybe even Crossplatform play.

All of which I’d prefer over Year of or Carnival Events.

You do realise that 2 of the 3 reworks will be next year right? Also I would never be able to lose hope in a game if they reworked a trash boss fight that was really outdated and cheesable into an actual fun and engaging fight that you don't want to cheese unless you're in an extreme hurry.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think this is a fair and reasonable thing to say, and depending on a persons age my directly impact how they feel about the changes example an older person like me (35) would feel like DST is starting to feel less and less like a Dont Starve Game.. and more like some wacky Spin-Off that strays further & further away from series roots.

Meanwhile a Younger person 18 or Younger likely won’t understand or even care how different and away from the franchise roots the franchise is straying.

I was there and witnessed first hand when Resident Evil went from Puzzle Survival Horror to full blown Third Person Shooter Action game- I was ALSO lucky enough to live to see that franchise make a proper return to its puzzle survival horror roots.

I would absolutely hate to see DS/DST repeat the same mistakes, and at the rate of my rapidly declining health: I May not ever live to see the franchise make a proper return to its roots.

But the question Klei needs to ask themselves is this-

Why do so so many people frequently ask for a new single player DLC or the porting of SW/Hamlet into DST?

The answer should be fairly obvious- but people want more of what made the DS franchise the DS Franchise.

If Klei wants to make a wacky Spin-Off that continues to stray further away from the franchise roots then they should release that as ITS OWN GAME and not try to change or adapt DS/DST into this new vision.

But that’s just my point of view as an Adult who wants the game I paid for to still play as and provide content in the same category as I paid for and expected it to deliver.

I can provide a million and one crazy ideas to improve MidSummers Cawnival to Appeal to both silly party games AND those who want more survival gameplay such as a new tackle/food you can unlock at ticket booth called Squid Bait- Which aggro nearby Skittersquid into coming ashore and attacking you.

But Ultimately Klei/Tencent make the decisions All I can do is provide feedback that may or may not be taken into consideration.

Age doesn't really make a difference, everyone is different, but I do understand the frustrations of... well the game just becoming "easier" or just getting further and further away from it's roots, either way I do believe that klei does have big plans that we simply need to wait for them to be realised in their entirety, either that or maybe klei will announce in 2 years that they are rebranding into a mobile game publisher, we don't know lmao.

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It sounds like you're not opposed to events in and of themselves, only events that detract from the atmosphere of the game. That being the case, I would ask (not to make a point, but just because I want to pick your brain) what would the ideal summer event look like? If they scrapped the Cawnival entirely and came to you and asked you for Summer event ideas that better comport with your idea of what makes Don't Starve Don't Starve, what would you say?

Also, how do you feel about the Halloween and Christmas events? Do they also feel like wacky spin-offs or are they close enough to the theme of Don't Starve that you'd give them a pass?

10 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

-snip-

until klei decides to increase the survival content (last survival oriented content were antlion and disease...) these distractions for late game are welcome

The difference is that most of the mobs can be directly hostile, and aren't innately friendly unless you give them stuff.

And, part of the problem is that Klei will never increase the survival content, Antlion is an incredibly weak replacement for the Dragonfly, and disease was cut from the game.

We are hardly getting anything BUT distractions, the closest thing is the farming rework but now farming is way too easy and nets you a pretty nuts amount of value for relatively low effort.

10 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

The difference is that most of the mobs can be directly hostile, and aren't innately friendly unless you give them stuff.

They talk a lot less, too. And can die. And fit into the wilderness theme better compared to a carnival.

Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. - part of the steam description for DSA

46 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. - part of the steam description for DSA

They really need change that.

5 hours ago, Frogzard said:

It sounds like you're not opposed to events in and of themselves, only events that detract from the atmosphere of the game. That being the case, I would ask (not to make a point, but just because I want to pick your brain) what would the ideal summer event look like? If they scrapped the Cawnival entirely and came to you and asked you for Summer event ideas that better comport with your idea of what makes Don't Starve Don't Starve, what would you say?

Also, how do you feel about the Halloween and Christmas events? Do they also feel like wacky spin-offs or are they close enough to the theme of Don't Starve that you'd give them a pass?

Well let me think about this- the WintersFeast Event makes me Quest around the game world chasing after little Gingerbread pigs to either find their houses or a Hostile angry GingerVarg, To get light bulbs for you WintersFeast Tree requires interacting with other Survival Areas of the game such as: Killing Deerclops or Oasis Fishing, the “Giants” of the game have cute Reskins for this event that makes encountering them feel more unique, AND in Order to create a Holiday table buffet of all the cooking recipes available from the Masonry Oven requires you to Quest all over the game world gathering various resources to build the foods- I would say that WF is very very much still making me play and interact with core aspects of the game, hell I would even say that if someone who is a newbie/experienced but not a Veteran player wanted to try to craft all available WF Masonry dishes on their own without anyone else’s help- that actually gathering all the ingredients from all over the constant would force them out of their comfort zone of sitting at base all the time NOT Exploring the game world.. and would in actuality: Teach them more and more about the game.

Hallowed Nights while it doesn’t get no where nearly as much love as WF (Sadly) still forces the player to Quest around the world gathering Treats & Trinkets to put on their Spooky Trees or for the Mad Science Lab Potions.

YEAR OF THE CATCOON required you to quest all over the game world map again getting newbies out of their at base comfort zone to find and bring home all 9 Kitcoons from their respective world Biomes.

The CAWNIVAL is just Hurrr Durrr Wacky Mini-Games that don’t force the player to go out and gather anything much to craft any sort of item, yet will give absolutely AMAZING items to help with Survival- including but not limited just to: Free Infinite light when standing beside the ticket booth itself, Night Lights, Clothing with weather resistance protection- And what did I need to do in the game to get them? Oh that’s right feed a few mechanical birds some mechanical worm grub, chase some wind up eggs back to a pole, or guess which spring up egg had the design on it.

WINTERFEAST & YEAR OF THE CATCOON were probably the two best events the game had because they actually and actively encourage and push the player to explore the game world.

And what scares me is that Klei may be about to do a complete overhaul to DST that adds a bunch of Wacky NPCs, tones down or removes the Survival Aspects of the game, Add a bunch of cute friendly non-hostile mobs you can kill for easy food sources (Aka imagine if the Kitcoon/Catcoons from YoTCC event trade inn Mini-Game could actually be found in their respective biomes Wigfrid would have all the “Cute Meat” in the world to slaughter to ignore her only eats meat diet.)

All I’m asking, all I’m wanting, and all I hope anyone at Klei understands is that I want every event to feel more like WintersFeast where I actually need to EXPLORE & INTERACT With the game and world around me.

Thank You for your time if you actually took the time to read this post, <3

I hope maybe they could make actual  ridable rides or bumper carts that look like mobs like beefalo and other mobs, or more games like whack a mole. I'd also like to see some décor like tree streamers or stuff you can decorate the base with for something pleasing that would fit even without the event or some skins for the turfs: like for the moony beach turf it could turn into normal beach turf like from SW, Cobblestone turf could turn into Hamlet road turf, Marbled turf could have a more checker board like look, rugs could have different colors or maybe zebra stripes. It'd be cool to decorate the ground to have cool contrasting rug colors with that rug under the tree it'd really make it pop more.

On 5/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Unfortunately- we still don’t have any lantern/torch/fire skins that give off a different color light radius then default.

Mushroom light and and enlightened crown / shards can all be colored with mushroom spores, but I highly doubt they will make it so simple to change a light source's color with a skin because all the color changing lights are late game stuff.

Stop hating on this event for adding friendly NPC's that don't affect gameplay at all. Go hate on Hamlet, bunnymen, merms as wurt, pigmen, pig king, glommer, critters, wagstaff hologram, forest stalker, gnome, Smallbirds and lying robot.

But seriously, just disable it and let people have fun with an event. The Christmas event's gifts are OP as hell, and you start with cheaper bundling wrap, but people don't complain that it breaks the game, just disable it.

Archived