What do you expect from this year cawnival?

Well considering one of my posts got a like react from the devs back when suggestions for the event was being thrown around- I’m crossing my fingers that we get some colored torches/firepits/fireworks or whatever that actually give off a different color lighting effect.

Will I get them? I don’t know but I expected DST would’ve gotten colored torches/fires wayyyy back with the Terraria crossover event (would’ve been a perfect time to get lime green glow sticks as a lantern skin, a cursed Firepit, or the Purple flamed torches of Terraria.)

Unfortunately- we still don’t have any lantern/torch/fire skins that give off a different color light radius then default.

And surely it can’t be TOO HARD to code that into the game: PC already has mods for it, and certain areas of the game (WintersFeast lights or Feastclops) give off a different colored light Aurora.

Plus I just think that a “Carnival” should be the absolute best time to add colored lanterns, fires, torches, fireworks etc..

Well I didn't know I needed an Anchor Skin but that skin looks great!

As for the Cawnival I'd love some new/better prizes, what would be really cool is a super expensive reward from the gift shop that you need an absolute TON of tickets for just like at real life arcade prize booths. Make it cost like 400 tickets but be super useful and actually worth saving up for. The current prizes are neat but nothing I really care about much. Body slot clothing items are of no use or appeal to me as part of the backpack gang. I like the decorative prizes but they're more for megabasing/decoration and serve little actual purpose except maybe the Night Light but even that isn't that useful.

A few new games would be great although I personally don't have much more room in my big Cawnival setup area so not sure where I'm going to place them if there are more than 1 or 2 new ones and if any of them are big. 

Some other new content given its Klei Fest and all alongside the Cawnival would be most ideal/desired for me. Even if its just a couple new craftables or a new mob you can encounter on hunts or something. I'm aching for new content and more things to do late game. Reworks are great and all and I do really enjoy playing characters fresh off their reworks but I need more content more than anything.

3 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

I hope there's some content that can be enjoyed along side the main game, like Hallowed Nights or Winters Feast.

But if lasts years event is anything to go by I'll just skip it.

Why? Why can't you enjoy Cawnival alongside the main game? And what do you think it need to be enjoyed along side the main gane?

Im more looking forward to the "big announcements" they said they have. Maybe itll be new singleplayer DLC, or a new game? Its been a while since griftlands.. Id like to see something new from them so i hope their yearly game jam proved fruitful.

As for cawnival.... DST minigame events just do nothing for me. Its nice people enjoy them but ill be patiently waiting for a new content update. The last new gameplay content we got besides the terraria crossover was about 10 months ago in August...

1 hour ago, Waoling said:

Why? Why can't you enjoy Cawnival alongside the main game? And what do you think it need to be enjoyed along side the main gane?

Because it has nothing to do with any of the reasons I care about Don't Starve, and it goes against some of the classic design philosophies, so I just don't care about it.

1 hour ago, Scrimbles said:

Because it has nothing to do with any of the reasons I care about Don't Starve, and it goes against some of the classic design philosophies, so I just don't care about it.

Exactly, which is why I can’t seem to enjoy the Year of and Cawnival events because they quite literally make a joke out of what the DS franchise is/was and everything it stood for.

They are fun little “side Distractions” but that’s all they EVER should have been.

Klei still has 3 more Character Reworks, 3 Game Content Updates themed “Setting the Stage”, And 2 More QoL updates outside of Carnival Games and Year of Events that they got to get through the roadmap and we’re already headed into June.. Im not even going to hold my breath that one of those 3 Content Updates will launch alongside the Silly Mini Games.

Im slowly but surely starting to lose hope & faith for this game-

You know those online surveys where it asks you do you expect X named company to do what’s right?

Heres where I would check mark Don’t Know/Uncertain where I use to without Hesitation would’ve marked Heck Yes!

I can only hope those big announcements are something good- perhaps the reveal of the PS5/Series X/S Remastered version of the game, or maybe Character/skins useage in Offline play, or Maybe even Crossplatform play.

All of which I’d prefer over Year of or Carnival Events.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Exactly, which is why I can’t seem to enjoy the Year of and Cawnival events because they quite literally make a joke out of what the DS franchise is/was and everything it stood for.

They are fun little “side Distractions” but that’s all they EVER should have been.

Where did all these people come from who seem to think this game is supposed to be all grimdark and horror that we've supposedly lost sight of when for at least 8 years we've been assembling "teleportatoes", finding their parts with a Vox radio on a stick, recovering sanity because we're wearing spiffy hats, collecting pig asses, and hanging out with an amusingly well-adjusted child stuck inside the fuzzy spider that tried to eat him? The game is ridiculous and light-hearted at its core and always has been.

And if these celebratory events are fun little distractions, and "that’s all they EVER should have been," then they're doing their job. They don't replace more serious content, because the content flow you seem to be expecting is not practical in a game with a required one-time purchase from a small developer.

Just now, Faintly Macabre said:

Where did all these people come from who seem to think this game is supposed to be all grimdark and horror that we've supposedly lost sight of when we've been assembling "teleportatoes", finding their parts with a Vox radio on a stick, recovering sanity because we're wearing spiffy hats, collecting pig asses, and hanging out with an amusingly well-adjusted child stuck inside the fuzzy spider that tried to eat him for at least 8 years? The game is ridiculous and light-hearted at its core and always has been.

They might be talking about gameplay

6 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

That may be part of it since I guess these events aren't dangerous or whatever, but this stuff definitely comes from people who seem to think this game is supposed to be all edgy and levity somehow has no place here.

2 hours ago, jan Mele said:

Klei want game to be fun, most people seem to enjoy the event and it a fun distaction from the main game, you can't make everyone happy.

2 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Where did all these people come from who seem to think this game is supposed to be all grimdark and horror that we've supposedly lost sight of when for at least 8 years we've been assembling "teleportatoes", finding their parts with a Vox radio on a stick, recovering sanity because we're wearing spiffy hats, collecting pig asses, and hanging out with an amusingly well-adjusted child stuck inside the fuzzy spider that tried to eat him? The game is ridiculous and light-hearted at its core and always has been.

And if these celebratory events are fun little distractions, and "that’s all they EVER should have been," then they're doing their job. They don't replace more serious content, because the content flow you seem to be expecting is not practical in a game with a required one-time purchase from a small developer.

We never said it had to be dark and Mature rated- but it sure as heck would’ve been nice to have gotten a more fleshed out ocean or a caves rework/emptier biomes refresh instead of all the year of & carnival mini games that I strongly feel take away from that.

Theres a small chance Klei is saving the better content updates for later, but as of right now- Ocean Content still feels like something very much in Beta Stages.

And to FURTHER add fuel to that fire they not too long ago changed the boat crafting recipes before reverting them back again stating that they will revisit the recipes later in a more appropriate update.

Pretty much confirming and teasing that a more appropriated boating update is indeed coming.

There’s still the very small chance this Cawnival event will launch alongside a more significant long term gameplay update- but I’m not going to hold my breath out on it.

I mean, new and "priorytized" part of community is kids and teens now so... I kinda accepted that Klei droppet grim theme and go for kids friendly thematics instead. Yeah I hate it,  but we got what we got... At least they expand Wagstaffs lore and presence in game, Im happy with that 

21 minutes ago, Dragonboooorn said:

I mean, new and "priorytized" part of community is kids and teens now so... I kinda accepted that Klei droppet grim theme and go for kids friendly thematics instead. Yeah I hate it,  but we got what we got... At least they expand Wagstaffs lore and presence in game, Im happy with that 

i mean, don't starve shipwrecked is literally 100 times more colourful than dst yet people say it's a best don't starve dlc ever, we also stll have things like lore and lunar creatures(and pretty much also all nightmare fuel related content), i think people complaining about game not being grim as it should is mostly part of nostalgia about original ds because honestly they aren't that different in part of grimness, things like cawniwal of course ruin it a little bit but again it's just seasonal event that you don't even need to do unless you want some decorations on your base, it's probably not even canon 

Archived