Poll: What changes would you like to see for Woodie, if any?

Poll: What changes would you like to see for Woodie, if any?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see changes to Woodie?

• No, the character is perfect already
    • No, the character is fine as is
    • Yes, but only some QoL changes
    • Yes, some new mechanics would be nice
    • Yes, and I would love to see a full rework
  2. 2. Woodie changes:

• [Balance] Make beaver form be better at woodcutting than other competing forms (including normal woodie)
    • [Balance] Make lucy deal damage to treeguards
    • [Balance] Make all axes deal more damage to treeguards (new players always try to "chop" treeguards and die)
    • [Balance] Goose form needs more speed or make it easier to go in-and-out to offset the fact that you cannot use your hands
    • I don't like any of the above options
    • Something else (comment below)

Source thread is this:

Previously I asked "What character do you main?" and after, I contacted people that replied to the poll, I compiled a list of desired changes.

In this thread feel free to vote and discuss about this character.

Just now, SinancoTheBest said:

More Lucy dialogue please. If we're being forced to hear her yapping all day at least make her not so repetitive.

Considering how fast she goes through them, that would be a temporary solution

I think ability to keep amulets on just like backpacks in wereforms would solve most of the problems, maybe even ability to equip/unequip amulets (and only them) could be added too if that is not enough.

In that case werebeaver would be able to wear lazy forager and thus overcome his greatest disadvantage at chopping: inability to pick logs as he chops. Weregoose would be able to use magiluminescence for greater speed, which would make him 3rd fastest character on foot with only WX and Wormwood ahead of him, but with full screen vision and ability to cross water gaps; magi on weremoose would allow him to kite better. Life giving amulet on all forms would heal initial damage idol deals and reduce sanity drain, both would be especially useful for weremoose as currently in this form Woodie relies on allies, jellybeans or tillweed salve to heal, latter 2 are unreasonably expensive compared to usual combat with normal armor and healing (I know weremoose technically can die and revive and "heal" this way, but bones usually get in the way and bosses can despawn or kill him before Woodie will be ready to fight again). It would be only 5*8=40 hp at best, but it's much better than nothing (I don't think it should consume wereness since there is no way to replenish that without turning human, unless such way were added). Chilling amulet will help to all wereforms in summer, and nightmare amulet could allow to farm nightmare fuel faster and raise sanity while in wereform if used carefully. Also nightmare amulet would be very helpful in Celestial Champion fight as weremoose (currently one technically can make arena with dark swords for protection against gestalts, but I'd prefer more elegant solution).

Another thing I would like to be changed is recipe for tillweed salve: it should require only 1 tillweed and not spoil, because right now collecting 4 tillweeds requires at least ice box (because of multiple random seeds plant cycles), and collecting meaningful amount of them requires bundle wraps and whole dedicated weed farm, and even after that tillweed salves need to be bundled. As any other character I won't bother and just craft healing salve/food healing, as Woodie I would just resort to using jellybeans or fight as human Woodie at this point. Tillweed salve deserves to be useful, thus needs touch up.

I would also appreciate it if during whole transformation animation (both to and from wereform) Woodie received damage with armor taken into account, i.e. 90% in case weremoose, because current situation - 0% armor even if animation almost completed - only discourages using idols in fights that require multiple of them.

A way to extend wereforms would add a lot of fun as well (aside from waiting for full moon to begin). Weregoose could eat seeds from the ground (and maybe some cave variant of such extendor could be added), werebeaver could eat living logs (not logs though, because the main purpose of werebeaver is to collect logs in the first place), weremoose could eat monster food from the ground (monster meat, durian, moose idols).

1 hour ago, HumanBean150 said:

something to stop transforming, even for just one full moon.

That's an interesting suggestion, and something like that would be really useful as late game worlds no one goes woodie due to the fact that permanent full moon is too convenient to have.

1.) Would love more ways to make Weremoose able to stop his charges earlier, right now he can only do that if you're trying to dash into ocean/void (correct me If I am wrong)
2.) A way to strengthen his totems with moon powers. I think it'd be fun to invest into more risk for better reward.
Maybe for example let Werebeaver gradually turn rampage the more things he gnaws, which further accelerates and strengthens him at the cost of massive sanity loss.
Or an alternate ability for Weremoose, where your charge deals tremendous damage + stuns, but it hits only the first target and you won't be going through monsters - that way, it's dangerous to use that in situations with multiple monsters.
Those are just examples of course, there can be tons of possibilities.
3.) (Additional suggestion to Pig Princess' post) Maybe extra amulets / buffs to amulets when wearing them in wereforms? :distant:

Also lots of good stuff already suggested above by folks

Make him like he is portrayed in his animated short: Able to use each of his forms within a single fight- that means a few things would need to be changed:

Itchy Idols no Longer spoil (this was already added) 

Exiting transformations should leave him with a little bit of Hunger instead of entering full on Starvation status.

Add a new late game necklace Woodie can craft that prevents his forced transformations during full moon/Moonstorms.

Give Woodie a break from his curse when Alter's awoken.Something to not make it as punishing as you would much rather just swap to someone else for a more enjoyable time.

EDIT: As Woodie barely has any downsides, it don't think its punishing to transform at a full moon, its one night and with preparation its barely an issue. Or just stay in the caves for a bit. But Alter is too much as i said above. 

4 hours ago, b l a n k said:

Like the Wolfgang's suggestion, I'd like it if they remove the interruption while transforming forms (similar to Wanda)

I don't know why people keep suggesting this. If you want to make a comparison to Wanda don't look at what happens when she takes damage, look at what happens when she uses an inventory item since that's what Woodie does. Her health watch has a long uninterruptible animation that roots you in place, and to add onto that if you get hit during it (or shortly after it ends) it cancels the heal.

Unlike Wanda who transforms automatically from taking damage (or just over time), or Wolfgang who transforms automatically from dealing (or not dealing) damage, Woodie has to go out of his way to use an item in his inventory. If it's not safe to do the transform animation then don't transform.

21 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I don't know why people keep suggesting this. If you want to make a comparison to Wanda don't look at what happens when she takes damage, look at what happens when she uses an inventory item since that's what Woodie does. Her health watch has a long uninterruptible animation that roots you in place, and to add onto that if you get hit during it (or shortly after it ends) it cancels the heal.

Unlike Wanda who transforms automatically from taking damage (or just over time), or Wolfgang who transforms automatically from dealing (or not dealing) damage, Woodie has to go out of his way to use an item in his inventory. If it's not safe to do the transform animation then don't transform.

Alright so you're omitting (hopefully not on purpose) the most important points. It seems like your whole argument turns around the fact Woodie doesn't transform automatically, unfortunately this is just false, except when you transform into a were form by eating a Kitschy idol, like you said (or more rarely when you eat too many monster meats).

Woodie does transform automatically when turning back into a human (and also during full moons but that's not that impacting, for the animation lock point of view). That's the whole problem, I wouldn't care keeping the animation lock when using an idol, but being locked while transforming back can be dangerous, even if you play around it. Again, this is a QoL change.

Now, I also compare it with Wanda because, 1. it was a copy/paste from the Wolfgang's suggestion, and 2. she is the character proving Klei CAN do it if they wanted to. There is no technical limitation or whatever about changing forms and their animation.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:14 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

no pls, timing is an important mechanic in almost everygame

That Terrorbeak spawning when you're about to transform back is indeed mastering the timing mechanic :grin:

25 minutes ago, b l a n k said:

That Terrorbeak spawning when you're about to transform back is indeed mastering the timing mechanic :grin:

yes(?)

what makes you not able to run it and time? i did many ruins cleanings as woodie, you only need to outrun them and quick equip armor which needs some practise instead of just wanting to move to cancell an animation because you werent paying attention

54 minutes ago, b l a n k said:

Fortunately, you can use Weremoose charge right before your transformation ends - the weremeter gets stuck at 0 as you charge until you stop, that extra speed often gives you enough time to quickly detransform and equip armor back with a hotkey. The only issue you'll be facing is immediate starvation, alongside other dangers you're probably facing, which means it's advised to also bring a panflute or ice staff if something dangerous keeps chasing you.

These dangers often end up making weremoose unattractive, because (insert obligatory "hurr just use hambat/dark sword and marble suit!!!11")

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

yes(?)

what makes you not able to run it and time? i did many ruins cleanings as woodie, you only need to outrun them and quick equip armor which needs some practise instead of just wanting to move to cancell an animation because you werent paying attention

Okay let's not start with the "I cleared more ruins with Woodie than you so you're wrong" fallacies, as I'm restraining myself to say it as well.

You must know the Terrorbeaks (from the example), are hard to avoid if they spawn too close when weregoose is about to end, or if you can't charge at the last second for whatever reason with weremoose. I'm not even talking about werebeaver. It's not a matter of badly managed timing or not paying attention, and animation lock doesn't care about the "equip armor practice". There are also a lot of situations where things don't go as they should, you can't predict nor play around everything that could happen. I also precise I play as a client so the lag is making this issue even worse. Again x2, this is a QoL change, not a balance one

Archived