Small request, Klei

Hello! There are many great skins for backpacks, but if I want to use an insulated backpack currently I have to forego my preferred look and rely only on the singular default skin for it. Could you make it so the backpack skins work for the insulated backpack as well?

Please and thank you =)

EDIT: Based on the discussion that evolved, I think a better solution would be to instead of having the insulated backpack be a separate item from the regular backpack, make the regular one upgradable with some resources to have the insulating property while retaining your regular skin.

10 minutes ago, SamTheWarHammer said:

I like this idea. I mean, we already have the walking cane skins with correlating lazy explorer skins, so why not?

Cause lazy explorer is an upgrade, like straw hat to miner hat/rain hat. Insulated pack is it's own item, so it will get it's own skins

So far all of the backpack containers have been treated seperately on the seperately:

Backpack, Piggyback, Krampus Sack, Seed-Pack-It

If and When they decide to add skins for insulated pack and chef's pouch, they will have seperate unrelated skins

30 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Cause lazy explorer is an upgrade, like straw hat to miner hat/rain hat. Insulated pack is it's own item, so it will get it's own skins

These are upgrades sure. But the skins do still slightly change. 

I wouldn't mind the devs attaching some fur bit on the skins (if that's even really necessary) and changing the recipe to be a backpack+gear+thick fur, so it follows the upgrade trend, and calling it a day.

Also log suit upgrades to Dragonfly armor. Wish the fire effect wasn't so chaotic.

1 hour ago, Baark0 said:

Well, then how about this: Why couldn't an insulated backpack be an upgrade to an existing backpack? Instead of crafting a whole separate backpack item, you just add the gear/doodad/fur or whatever is required to your regular backpack, now it's insulated AND it can retain its backpack skin.

EDIT: I meant to quote this post, I made an earlier reply quoting another, I don't know how to delete that post so I chose hide, but I'm not sure if that was a local hide from myself only, or hide it from everyone else, so if you see two posts, Baarko was the one I meant to quote. Sorry, confused about forum mechanics :(

This idea is good, I mean, we have skins for all of the other backpack skins, while the insulation pack is left unacknowledged, there hasn't been ONE skin for it!

The fact that you said backpack skins should be used for insulation packs is what I'm against, because the insulation pack isn't an upgrade of the backpack

3 hours ago, SamTheWarHammer said:

I like this idea. I mean, we already have the walking cane skins with correlating lazy explorer skins, so why not?

Well, the lazy explorer is an upgrade of the walking cane, and the insulation pack isn't an upgrade of anything

Klei is very inconsistent when it comes to skin application. Its great being able to use spear skins for staves for example, but then it really sucks having regular and golden tool skins seperated.

8 hours ago, Efrendi said:

Why couldn't an insulated backpack be an upgrade to an existing backpack?

Because they would have to change the seemingly intentional inability to craft using what you're wearing as an ingredient, figure out how to handle trying to craft a backpack with items in it (and all the various bugs that are sure to come with it), make a million skins for a million backpacks with no profit motive, make it less clear which items are backpacks and which are insulated packs, and make crafting the insulated backpack really annoying since you now have to craft and equip a backpack, which presumably can't have items inside, in order to make it.

Just give the insulated pack its own skins. Don't need to change so much and put in so much effort just so it uses backpack skins.

4 hours ago, sudoku said:

Klei is very inconsistent when it comes to skin application. Its great being able to use spear skins for staves for example, but then it really sucks having regular and golden tool skins seperated.

They're not inconsistent at all. Spear is an ingredient for staves, flint tool is not an ingredient for gold tool.

48 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

They're not inconsistent at all. Spear is an ingredient for staves, flint tool is not an ingredient for gold tool.

Where are my thermal stone skins for every pickaxe skin 

Or bush hat skins for every straw hat skin

smh

15 hours ago, Baark0 said:

What happens then with the Waterfolw Can? It's the direct upgrade of the Watering Can and don't share the skin at all.

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Because they would have to change the seemingly intentional inability to craft using what you're wearing as an ingredient, figure out how to handle trying to craft a backpack with items in it (and all the various bugs that are sure to come with it), make a million skins for a million backpacks with no profit motive, make it less clear which items are backpacks and which are insulated packs, and make crafting the insulated backpack really annoying since you now have to craft and equip a backpack, which presumably can't have items inside, in order to make it.

I never even considered the nightmare they dodged by just making them completely separate things rather than an upgrade. I can think of a few ways they could make it work, but there are so many things that can go wrong- which is why I'm sure they opted for an entirely new item to just be created. It's kind of fool proof.

Should have some skins finally though. That's for certain.

2 hours ago, Memetan said:

What happens then with the Waterfolw Can? It's the direct upgrade of the Watering Can and don't share the skin at all.

Waterfowl can doesn't require a watering can in its recipe. It needs a malbatross beak, rope and driftwood.

5 hours ago, Memetan said:

idk i dont work at klei lol, im just assuming that is/was their thought process behind spear/straw hat/cane skins

Somewhat unrelated but this got me thinking: does wx78’s coolant circuit stack spoilage slow with the insulated pack? Or warly’s?

I am very interested in an insulated pack skin. I always choose that backpack when possible.

edit: I’d also loooooove some Warly’s belongings skins!

Archived