[Game Update] - 497910

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

we need a reason to waste other gems than green ones

indeed, yellow and green gems have their best uses, but I really rarely use orange ones. Maybe at most one lazy cane or an orange amulet? the orange ones are always in excess for me:flustered:

11 minutes ago, dish-order man said:

and now Scott turned out to be my favorite Klei employee and i believe he reacted to it just to implement one of those or both

i love him so much:angel:

266257044_.thumb.png.062bbf889349ff0ae89e960becb3b209.png

I don't think we can assume that. It seems to me it's more of a "I like the idea" or just an appreciation for the input. Although I guess it elevates the chances of being implemented, I believe it's better to not take that for granted (but I also agree it'd be very nice to see it in game).

But yeah, I agree. It's very cool how Klei devs react and interact with the community and just don't create these update threads to watch from afar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dish-order man said:

indeed, yellow and green gems have their best uses, but I really rarely use orange ones. Maybe at most one lazy cane or an orange amulet? the orange ones are always in excess for me:flustered:

yellow are in a worst scenario. You only craft 1 mag per player and starcaller staffs which can be transformed into moon caller staff(50 uses), you need to spam a lot the staffs to be in need of more yellow gems

with orange atleast you refresh your lazy explorer and can craft a bunch of lazy foragers to pick logs after bearger harvest/tons of ripped stone fruit or using them to pick staff in the sea

9 minutes ago, Hatty DeWitt said:

I don't think we can assume that. It seems to me it's more of a "I like the idea" or just an appreciation for the input. Although I guess it elevates the chances of being implemented, I believe it's better to not take that for granted (but I also agree it'd be very nice to see it in game).

But yeah, I agree. It's very cool how Klei devs react and interact with the community and just don't create these update threads to watch from afar.

maybe they will change the durability to the double or something, that takes few seconds since is just changing a number

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Sanity 2

For anyone curious, here are how the crafting icons are now:
imagem.png.6b17ed7e78a40a4dba592cf47f16e0b0.png

versus how they were before:
imagem.png.0d3fd9a8866f37eb79398a57aec20515.png

I still don't think they are perfect, but the ones that changed are much better imo!

Edit:
Just to be clear, they are darker in my screenshot because I didn't have creative mode on, so they weren't lit up as if I could craft things in those filters. Also, the exclamation mark is for event (Year of The Catcoon) items.

Edited by Hatty DeWitt
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hatty DeWitt said:

I still don't think they are perfect, but the ones that changed are much better imo!

Edit:
Just to be clear, they are darker in my screenshot because I didn't have creative mode on, so they weren't lit up as if I could craft things in those filters. Also, the exclamation mark is for event (Year of The Catcoon) items.

Meh, it's still a no for me in the artwork department

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Seeds will now last twice as long while in the Seed Pack-It.

As someone who enjoys farming:

Thank you! No more fridge cluttered with various seeds ^^ i can now use seed pack to preserve them.

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 7

@ScottHansen 

Hey Scott, 
I tested the searchbar, I really love searchbars in crafting games. Performance & speed seem much better, thank you so much!

But I think there should really be some sort of quick clear, right now it takes more time to clear the bar than searching items. Using the filters works but is not intuitive. A little "x" icon in the bar would already be a big improvement! But on top of that it would be so cool if the text gets marked complitly after a search and clicking in the bar again. So it's one click and you can instandly overwrite the old text with something new. A second click then could set the cursor. 

Right now the cursor also remembers it's position after a search and is not movable with the mouse which makes it even more tedious to clear the bar after moving the cursor once (if you don't know you can use a filter for that, but without reading this in your post I had never thought of that and you also need to set the cursor again after that). 

I would really appreciate some improvement here with DST getting more items in the future, thanks for reading and your amazing work :)

Edited by lionking102
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hatty DeWitt said:

Wait, what are you comparing the icons to, they were always like the ones on top for me, in my experience the icons were never like the bottom image, it was only like that in the teaser image. As soon as the beta launched, the seafaring icon was the RoT raft rather than shipwrecked boat, exclaimation mark existed for event objects (although the catcoon shrine oddly wasn't there), saddle was more detailed etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vishalkotwar said:

Any ETA? when can this go live live?

what do you mean, the open beta, as well as this very patch is already live but they need to work more on it to improve and expand on it. There's still quite a bit of work to do it seems so I wouldn't expect the QoL update to hit the main branch before the 17th or 24st of March. Even the 31st is a Thursday mind you  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, loganpea said:

This wasn't mentioned in the patch notes but the cookie cutter cap now needs an alchemy engine to prototype; it used to only need a science machine. I'm not sure if this was intentional... 

Hm? The Cookie Cutter Cap has always needed an alchemy engine just like the football helmet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

Hm? The Cookie Cutter Cap has always needed an alchemy engine just like the football helmet.

You're right :(
The reason I thought it was changed was because some other recipes - such as the bird trap - also had their recipes changed. I still think it should be science tier though, because it has less protection than the football helmet. Sure, it has slightly more durability, but it still feels like a downgrade.

The efficacy of the beekeeping cap needs to be improved, adding that it will not stiffen just by attacking the bees. Characters wearing queen hats should be considered bee-like and will not be actively attacked by killer bees and spring bees.

After the version of the big tree at sea, the power of the oar is greatly enhanced, and the speed even catches up with the sail, driving the ship with the sail is not only troublesome but also dangerous, because there can be no wide field of view to see the reef in front of the ship, hoping to increase the player's view of the front of the ship when at the helm, that is, the center of vision is in front of the direction of the ship. There is also the increase in the maximum speed of sailing ships.

• Developer
On 3/4/2022 at 8:35 PM, Earthyburt said:

In regards to this, how should I set the <weight_data>? I tried creating a table to put my values in(val = {OTHER=1}), however any attempt at changing this I made so far has crashed the game.

Also, should the OTHER tab's weight be set to zero by default? Assuming that the numbers represent how likely a category of tip is shown, if OTHER is set to zero at all times, then should it simply never display? If so, I find it confusing because if a category is empty, it will be ommited based on loadingscreen.lua. If not, could you explain to me how the weight values work exactly?

I can help here. Would you happen to have a crash log that shows how it crashed?

Otherwise, <weight_data> should be a table that looks like this:

local weight_data =
    {
        CONTROLS = 0,
        SURVIVAL = 0,
        LORE = 0,
        LOADING_SCREEN = 0,
        OTHER = 1,
    }

Which then gets passed into

SetLoadingTipCategoryWeights(GLOBAL.LOADING_SCREEN_TIP_CATEGORY_WEIGHTS_START, weight_data)

and/or

SetLoadingTipCategoryWeights(GLOBAL.LOADING_SCREEN_TIP_CATEGORY_WEIGHTS_END, weight_data)

using the example above, if we set all weights to zero except for OTHER, it will mean only tips in the OTHER table (see LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS in strings.lua) will get shown during the loading screen.

By default, the OTHER category's weights are already set to zero, which means that tips from this category won't be chosen. The weight values work as a weighted random; we simply divide a category's weight and by the sum of weights of tip categories that have tips in them to determine the chance a category will be chosen, i.e. if a category is empty, we don't add that category's weight value to the sum of weights used in the calculations. This was done in the main game so that newer players will see more controls tips, whereas more experiences ones will see more lore tips.

Once the next patch comes out, I'll make a post providing an example how to mod loading tips.

• Thanks 2
  • Big Ups 1

7 hours ago, Klei_Marcus said:

I can help here. Would you happen to have a crash log that shows how it crashed?

Otherwise, <weight_data> should be a table that looks like this:

local weight_data =
    {
        CONTROLS = 0,
        SURVIVAL = 0,
        LORE = 0,
        LOADING_SCREEN = 0,
        OTHER = 1,
    }

Which then gets passed into

SetLoadingTipCategoryWeights(GLOBAL.LOADING_SCREEN_TIP_CATEGORY_WEIGHTS_START, weight_data)

and/or

SetLoadingTipCategoryWeights(GLOBAL.LOADING_SCREEN_TIP_CATEGORY_WEIGHTS_END, weight_data)

using the example above, if we set all weights to zero except for OTHER, it will mean only tips in the OTHER table (see LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS in strings.lua) will get shown during the loading screen.

By default, the OTHER category's weights are already set to zero, which means that tips from this category won't be chosen. The weight values work as a weighted random; we simply divide a category's weight and by the sum of weights of tip categories that have tips in them to determine the chance a category will be chosen, i.e. if a category is empty, we don't add that category's weight value to the sum of weights used in the calculations. This was done in the main game so that newer players will see more controls tips, whereas more experiences ones will see more lore tips.

Once the next patch comes out, I'll make a post providing an example how to mod loading tips.

Sorry for the delayed response. I am busy with college stuff that is due before Spring Break is over.

As to what went wrong, I think I vaguely recall forgetting the GLOBAL part of "GLOBAL.LOADING_SCREEN_TIP_CATEGORY_WEIGHTS_START" and forgotten to update my comment stating my issue.

However, the new problem is that the OTHER category isn't being shown, even with the tables in place and the custom loading tips added.

local vals =
    {
        CONTROLS = 0,
        SURVIVAL = 0,
        LORE = 0,
        LOADING_SCREEN = 0,
        OTHER = 1,
    }
	SetLoadingTipCategoryWeights(GLOBAL.LOADING_SCREEN_TIP_CATEGORY_WEIGHTS_START, vals)
	SetLoadingTipCategoryWeights(GLOBAL.LOADING_SCREEN_TIP_CATEGORY_WEIGHTS_END, vals)

AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_BANDANA, "Wayne's Bandana makes Wayne feel much braver when facing The Constant's imposing foes.")
AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_BLOODBOILING, "Wayne's body will begin to deteriorate exponentially the more insane he becomes.")
AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_CAVES, "Wayne is less bothered by the daylight when he is underground.")
AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_THRESHOLDS, "Wayne's sanity thresholds are 120-90, 90-60, 60-30, 30-0.")

AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_BULLY_LORE, "Wayne has refused to speak to Jerrison Jerk Johnson for many years, and Jerrison is not welcome here, either.")
AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_COLLEGE_LORE, "Wayne was supposed to major in architecture.")
AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_WAYNE_LORE, "Wayne's current state is the result of an incomplete experiment. Do not ask him how he was supposed to turn out.")
AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_SHILL_LORE, "Be sure to check out all of the other Wayne mods made by other people! They're very well made! (Mine's the best, obviously).")

Here's what I put in, in case you are interested. This is in modmain.lua

Edited by Earthyburt

• Developer
4 hours ago, Earthyburt said:

However, the new problem is that the OTHER category isn't being shown, even with the tables in place and the custom loading tips added.

Try entering the ID values as strings using quotes around the ID name, like this:

AddLoadingTip(STRINGS.UI.LOADING_SCREEN_OTHER_TIPS, "TIPS_WAYNE_THE_EXPERIMENT_BANDANA", "Wayne's Bandana makes Wayne feel much braver when facing The Constant's imposing foes.")

and see if that works.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4