March Quality of Life Beta is Live!

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But like I Said, I won’t be able to judge any of this accurately until the update comes to Xbox- And I’m already dreading that new UI for Xbox Controllers...

I'm on pc but I use Xbox controller. It isn't great atm. Can't use pinned feature, can't craft skinned version of whatever you're trying to craft, n still you're scrolling. It's like the closet function when you dress your character but worse atm. Same crafting mechanic in new UI hud so.. search is in prefab name as well.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ultimately it’s going to depend on how well this translates to an Xbox Controller.. from the screenshots it’s looking overly complex & unfun- And if Klei is going to design DST on Consoles for Console players then they should probably and most defiantly play several other console games to get an idea of what works best for consoles: for example.. pinned Craftables May work simply enough on PC using KB or Mouse…. But the REAL Question is going to be is the NEW UI better than the OLD UI for CONSOLE Players? The old way was simple enough..

Personally I pray they add a “Weapon Select Wheel” Aka a tab where my pinned/favorites things go and I can quickly and easily swap between that list of items for example: Anyone who has played Red Dead Online, Conan Exiles, Sniper Elite 4, Zombie Army 4 etc knows that holding down the top bumper button (usually LB or RB) pulls up a Wheel of your currently assigned items for those slots that you can move the Analog stick to quickly switch between & select.

Also if your tool breaks but you have enough resources on you to Repair, Recraft it then selecting it within this Weapon Wheel will instantly use up the resources to craft another and reassign it into the slot you have it assigned into 

(just go spend 10 minutes playing Conan exiles on an Xbox Controller)

Klei says a lot more work is being done for console support… Im going to hold them to that and pray we get the method that works best for console players- which when used in popular games like GTA & Red Dead Online- Seem to suggest a Weapons Wheel.

Or like long dark or genshin, use multiple keys on a controller... We have two sides. That should increase possibilities of binding choices.

10 hours ago, Wonz said:

It's not a fix, that's an upgrade. No need to memorize stuff since they there's now search window they have better categories and more of them fit on screen. No need to memorize makes it just better for people who haven't done it yet. I like it a lot. I don't care about any sentiments for visuals. This is objectively an upgrade.

Have fun searching through prefab name not the in game name. Like orangestaff... 

7 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

1. It's massively more intuitive for beginners. Both because it starts them off with a torch, axe, pickaxe and science machine pinned to give them some direction and also because items are now categorized based on their function instead of relying on vague, thematic classifications like "Survival" and "Structures"

I beg to differ. Those items were placed conveniently in the front of old UI. I'm pretty sure anyone who plays realizes this is a survival game so ax, pickax, torch are necessary. Science machine may be iffy but honestly, ppl should take time to read and know the game. Why does everything need to be mouthfed. So little time, effort and brain power is wanted to be used even for a game they want to play. But they'll do math for damage per everything for efficiency....

• Thanks 1

I like the overall direction with the crafting menu.

I like especially that you can see more items at once and perhaps that you can better see how the item looks even if you haven't crafted it yet or even if you don't have materials. In the old menu the item icon was kind of obscured if you didn't have any skins for it, either by the lock icon or it was too dark in case of lack of materials. But perhaps this added more mystery to items not yet researched? But, again, having skins made items clearly visible.

However the item grouping seems a bit off.

Primarily having the same recipe in multiple sections is confusing.

Secondly I'm not sure about the category choices. Splitting Fight into Weapons and Armor is a good example how it was made well. But I think most other categories were better originally. Perhaps Dress could be split into head slot and body slot categories similarly to what was done to the Fight section (Water Balloon was fine in Survival though).

Not being able to fight or gather with menu open is a regression compared to the old menu.

+1 colorful icons would be nice.

Edited by eldr1ch
  • Like 3

A small suggestion about new UI

New UI looks very cool and useful, I prefer new UI than old one.

About the easy access menu, 10 slots seems too little . Maybe it can increase into unlimited slots and player use their mouse roller to choose specific one like before?

Beside , Hopefully all items are top alignment instead of leaving an empty slot,  so that I can delete all slots by clicking cross button of first one

Wolfgang now loses mightiness when hit, based on the initial damage amount (armor does not prevent mightiness loss).

This honestly seems like a really bad idea.

wolfgan is supposed to be a tank right?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, soos8791 said:

They said they'll be tweaking that further.

39 minutes ago, soos8791 said:

Not really? Wigfrid is the resident tank. Wolfgang is the resident DPS.

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 1

48 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

They said they'll be tweaking that further.

Not really? Wigfrid is the resident tank. Wolfgang is the resident DPS.

Wolfgang may not be the “tank” but I am extremely confused why they would give him Marble Armor buffs & then turn around and give him a con that makes getting hit while wearing marble armor make him lose Mightiness.

From the words of Scott, it seems like they want you to Utilize using Dumbells as a Melee Weapon to Recover might..

Also can someone tell me if the Marble Dumbells are meant to be Better then Gembells?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wolfgang may not be the “tank” but I am extremely confused why they would give him Marble Armor buffs & then turn around and give him a con that makes getting hit while wearing marble armor make him lose Mightiness.

Yeah, the Marble Armor thing is weird.

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Also can someone tell me if the Marble Dumbells are meant to be Better then Gembells?

They are slightly worse, but they are meant to be a stepping stone between Golden Dumbells (which are very cheap) and Gembells (which are considerably expensive).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, soos8791 said:

Wolfgang now loses mightiness when hit, based on the initial damage amount (armor does not prevent mightiness loss).

Nobody is a tank. You might be mistaken with Forge.

• Like 3

Pleeeeeeeease! Could you guys make Abby stop attacking the Friendly Fruit Fly in the angry mode? It's so frustrating when the happy bug is just there chilling with my crops and she KILL IT! This would be a great QOL for all main Wendy...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don’t know if my feedback needs a new thread so here it is.

Crafting UI

The new crafting system doesn’t feel ergonomic, it requires 4 mouse clicks to craft, some tabs still require to scroll to find an item and the skin selection is a little far away of the item icon. I think too much things inherited from the previous UI don’t fit in this new UI (the bottom part with skins and recipes and some filter that are the same as previous categories).

Maybe there are more changes that can be made.

For example, I would use only filters based on items functions and forget the previous categories. This will reduce items redundancy that make the system unnecessary complex. For example, what’s the point to have the Saddlehorn in “Tools” when there is a “Beefalo Riding” filter? It is indeed a tool but it has only one function. I would also keep all character related items in the character related filter that way beginners will understand that they are only available with their character and it’s a quick access to it but it’s just my opinion.

In order to keep it as much simple as possible, I would select filters to avoid filters redundancy too.

The “Fight” tab split between “Weapons” and “Armour” is a good change.

The “Clothing” tab is redundant with “Winter items”, “Summer items” and ‘Rain gear” (maybe add a sanity related filter)

The “Structure” tab must disappear. It was already the most crowded tab and it feels even more now.

The avoid further redundancy, items should not be assigned to a minor function filter (someone suggested to add the Pan Flute in the “Food & Gardening” filter because it can be used with crops but it is such a waste to use it that way)

(By the way, I know it’s too late but it would be easier to design something for controllers and to adapt it to mouses & keyboards than the other way)

The icons definitely need some color but I think it’s scheduled for later.

Wolgang changes

I’m not gonna lie, I wasn’t happy with the Wolfgang rework. But I didn’t complain because it seemed fair. There was only one flaw:  the mightiness was slow to gain, hard to maintain and it felt like a pause in the game (we couldn’t do anything but wait).

I’m happy it’s easier to gain and maintain mightiness but maybe it’s too easy because a disadvantage was added to balance the character. I feel it’s a bigger nerf than the loss of speed bonus. I know you said there will be some tweaks to the might loss mechanic when taking damage but I wanted to point out that currently Wolfgang is for skilled players with good internet only. It’s a bad thing imo because the other character with equivalent damage, Wanda, has already the same mechanic (needing to kite perfectly to benefit high damages). Walter also has the same mechanic although it’s his sanity that is concerned.

I would have been happy if the only changes were the dumbbells improvement (including walking with one equipped to stop the drain) and if chopping, mining, attacking, etc… only paused the mightiness drain for a short time.

I know the might loss addition makes the character more interesting (even if it’s a mechanic already existing with other characters). I just hope the character will be balanced in a way that a lot of players can enjoy Wolfgang and his 2x damage modifier, not only those who already mastered the game (maybe add an armor reduction to the loss, that way the marble armor will be more useful, currently it is almost a death trap).

Sorry I wrote only the things I consider "bad" it's just my opinion after 2 days in the beta, I’m obviously not a skilled player and Wolfgang was a great way to improve in the game.

By the way the Ancient Guardian rework is awesome!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HellHeater said:

ancient guardian rework is pretty good but personally i wouldnt say no to better crab king instead 

i hope you guys can look to crab king too sometime

I was out of the forums during the whole crab king era, so I'm not exactly sure what's the problem with him. Is it the fact that you only really need to kill him once and never again, or is it something else? Bc if it's about the loot, is seems like it's a pretty easy fix

18 minutes ago, PeiperPires said:

I was out of the forums during the whole crab king era, so I'm not exactly sure what's the problem with him. Is it the fact that you only really need to kill him once and never again, or is it something else? Bc if it's about the loot, is seems like it's a pretty easy fix

his fight is pretty unfair solo with trying to cancel his healing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

THE LAG.  IS REAL.

So I just went back into my beta world for the first time reloading it ever, and well...

invisiblewendy.thumb.png.4ec0a966b51bb556361ed2bdeeccd03a.png

...it didn't just take long enough to load my character in for me to take this funny picture.  It took so long that _it went from dusk to night_.  That's right--while I couldn't DO anything 'cos the game hadn't finished loading me in, TIME.  WAS STILL.  PROGRESSING!

If it hadn't been a full moon, if I'd been starving, if I'd been crazy, iif it was cold, if it was hot, if dogs had been about to attack, if it was raining frogs...I would've just straight-up died from something I totally couldn't help. Because you can't do actions when you're not counted as loaded in! 
I mean it was like a full 30 or 40 seconds before the sound that it does when you reload the game, even played. It was long enough to change time of day and for Wendy to start doing her idle animation even though she was still invisible (see that little floating flower?)

There are NO mods on this server, by the way, I was very careful about that, but even on my non-beta ones that have like 17 mods, they do NOT take this long to load in.  The PRE game-actually-appearing-on-screen loading time is considerably longer, yes (they're also much older worlds) but after the game DOES appear on screen, it's maybe 2 seconds tops before my character appears.

Yes, I DO in fact have a potato for a computer, how did you know? but this doesn't happen, even on that potato, on the non-beta worlds. Full of mods.  I don't know what it is, but SOMEthing is slowing this down as if it stepped in Ewecus mucus.

...Notorious

• Big Ups 1

I thought about that, and almost did it, but I wasn't sure it was like, a BUG bug? or just general slowness. Finding the server log on my computer should be easy; this is the only world/game I even have on the beta.  : P

Spoiler

There was also a time in late-ish February when the game seemed to freeze solid...and then suddenly EVERYTHINGHAPPENEDATONCE and I fell over starved in a pile of my stuff two days later--but that was on a modded game, which is why I didn't report it before.  However, this _does_ seem similar (the game was frozen for ME...but its own internal time was still ticking), so maybe it wasn't just the mods..?

...Notorious

10 hours ago, PeiperPires said:

a fix that is already in SW :3

17 hours ago, Dextops said:

his fight is pretty unfair solo with trying to cancel his healing

Do ice staffs work? They're pretty cheap. 

2 hours ago, PeiperPires said:

Wait, for real? What would that be?

This guy just wants to "fix" CK by giving him an item that starts rain. They dont't want turn off a feAtUrE (wildfires) that doesn't matter in caves and is dealt with on surface by placing a really cheap structure that just looks bad. Imho, they won't lose anything by turning it off. 

Edited by jan Mele

2 hours ago, PeiperPires said:

Wait, for real? What would that be?

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Howling_Conch?so=search

27 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

Do ice staffs work? They're pretty cheap. 

This guy just wants to "fix" CK by giving him an item that starts rain. They dont't want turn off a feAtUrE (wildfires) that doesn't matter in caves and is dealt with on surface by placing a really cheap structure that just looks bad. Imho, they won't lose anything by turning it off. 

much better and fun turning off a feature instead of farming one interesting boss that right now is only fought 1 time to get a recipe and the moon altar

/clap

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Howling_Conch?so=search

much better and fun turning off a feature instead of farming one interesting boss that right now is only fought 1 time to get a recipe and the moon altar

/clap

"If something is bad, add loot. And if that doesn't work, add more loot"

If having imaginary posesions is entertaining to you, than I'm sorry for your parents. 

Seriously, if you enjoy something, you don't need meaningless toys as a reward for it. 

Edited by jan Mele