March Quality of Life Beta is Live!

26 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

"If something is bad, add loot. And if that doesn't work, add more loot"

See Ancient Guardian for example, initial fight was straight up the most boring of the game. The loots were generally only meh unless you get a proper RNG. Current beta improved the hell out of the fight for something enjoyable and made the loots so much better. In either case the boss is supposed to be a key for the Ancient Fuelweaver progress line that has to be redone every time, all the old problems made it a pain to go trough frequently.

Crab King, when it was first release, was horribly difficult for a majority of solo players before the boat physic and oaring get improved, the fight is now basically the one I enjoy the most personally but I'm not gonna farm the hell out of him for some shell fragments, currently he's just here to go further on the Celestial Champion progress line but without any repetition (which I assume many are happy about). But if he's getting the rest of the AG treatment with improved loots, I'd be willing to go for my favorite boss fight more frequently. So the statement is right, more loots please.

32 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

If having imaginary posesions is entertaining to you, than I'm sorry for your parents. 

This is absurdly mean and useless to say, we're literally all discussing about a game where you keep looting imaginary items so be sorry for yourself for even playing Don't Starve. Plus a rain item is on the same level than any other present in the game or things people could think about, don't attack that way suggestions if you don't like them.

45 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

Seriously, if you enjoy something, you don't need meaningless toys as a reward for it. 

I'm sure you'd be disappointed too if the Eye of Terror was only looting monster meat, or Klaus without the sack as a result...

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ADM said:

This is absurdly mean

Yup

56 minutes ago, ADM said:

we're literally all discussing about a game where you keep looting imaginary items so be sorry for yourself for even playing Don't Starve.

Players figure out the game's rules and optimise their route based on the information they get as their main objective. This is true for many games, with loot or not. Having variaty in this regard is normal, It's just one of the things that keeps games from having the same optimal route. Having more content after succeeding helps the game to not overhelm the player with it's rules, while allowing more content. It's a solution for common problem. Combined with limited inventory, it invites choice, with second of the duo keeping the player from getting overpowered. Trading your resource for something else is also useful, if done right. My point was that making something an item doesn't make it automaticaly better. 

As for the last question, I don't care about these fights, but if my beloved ruins got stripped of loot I wouldn't really care. The reward is the process and the meaningless achievement. That's why hardmodes and challenge runs work. I do admitt that loot could serve as a measure of achievement, reassuring the player of their succes and iviting the player to try and do something, just like scoreboards do.

Edited by jan Mele

1 hour ago, jan Mele said:

My point was that making something an item doesn't make it automaticaly better. 

Unfortunately you demonstrated why this is wrong on the previous points :|

Also you play that sandbox survival game however you want is none of my busyness, but there are players that can "measure" a better utility onto a concept than calculating the amount of funny they should receive and effort to procure daily for optimal gameplay.

• Like 2

I was really hoping to see keyboard and mouse support on console. But as for the "lore theme suggestions" im super cuirous about the rest of the stories (or hints of story) for Willow, Woody, and Wolfgang, and Wendy since their videos don't at all explain how they got into the constant.

31 minutes ago, T03jam said:

I was really hoping to see keyboard and mouse support on console. But as for the "lore theme suggestions" im super cuirous about the rest of the stories (or hints of story) for Willow, Woody, and Wolfgang, and Wendy since their videos don't at all explain how they got into the constant.

try their bios in the the compendium. Lots of exposition!

6 hours ago, ADM said:

Unfortunately you demonstrated why this is wrong on the previous points :|

There are times when items have their uses, and times when having a feature as one would change nothing. The previous points were to demonstrate that having items is not always about enjoying having posesions.

6 hours ago, ADM said:

lso you play that sandbox survival game however you want is none of my busyness, but there are players that can "measure" a better utility onto a concept than calculating the amount of funny they should receive and effort to procure daily for optimal gameplay.

Yes, some people play for the sandbox elements. But claiming that getting good is something that only tryhards enjoy is silly. You don't need to make an extremely hard game to make players feel accomplished after completing a segment. 

Edited by jan Mele

12 hours ago, PowerDrive said:

Is there a possible way to access this beta version without any money requirements and no deleting data requirements?

You just need to own the Steam version of Don't Starve Together to access the beta, what do you mean deleting data requirements?

On 2/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, ScottHansen said:

Feel free to suggest your ideas for new tips or themes for lore

Maybe something amongst the lines of science machine being obsolete once the alchemy is up, I've seen tons of new players not knowing that, it'd be nice to have that for them. For lore it'd be so neat to have at least one little character specific quote per character where they talk about themselves entering the constant. [I haven't encountered much lore ones, so I dunno if anything like that is already there].

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can I make suggestions in this post? If not please let me know where is the correct place to suggest.

1. Adding colours to the Tabs like the older version. Colours make it much easier to distinguish between tabs. Colour coding

2. Be able to sort or organise Favourite Tab. At the moment, the items goes in the order of when I added them, meaning I might have a pickaxe followed by log suit followed by backpack then axe. I would like to be able to sort it so that I can move the axe next to pickaxe, and move the logsuit to the back with maybe spear and hambat and so on.

3. It would be great if Starred Item On Top in Sort Mode, so that all the favourited items are shown first before everything else. OR add mini tabs within the favourite tab so I don't need to constantly scroll up and down when there are too many items (I don't know if this is possible, but it'll be awesome!!)

1.PNG

Edited by Beterick

• Developer
1 hour ago, PowerDrive said:

Does anyone know how to access the beta with no account loss?

If you would like to use your existing worlds in the beta, then you can make a copy of \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether and rename the copy to \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherBetaBranch 

Please take a look at this post for more info. Specifically the questions "Will I loose my existing worlds when switching to the beta?" and "Can I keep my beta worlds when the beta is over?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could be possible to make the new crafting menu size on the options? I think the menu is a little too big and it would be cool if the size were customisable hope it will not be too much to ask, also the use of the menu don't stop the player movement unless it clicks on the searching bar, thanks for your work

• Shopcat 1

16 minutes ago, kliveran said:

Could be possible to make the new crafting menu size on the options? I think the menu is a little too big and it would be cool if the size were customisable hope it will not be too much to ask, also the use of the menu don't stop the player movement unless it clicks on the searching bar, thanks for your work

There already is an option to change the crafting menu's size. I believe it's been there since the start of the beta.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:35 PM, thesooz9000 said:

you mean the mod? im not sure if it works on the beta yet

like if you see in the beta you can ping a recepie to have easy access to it

but idk which button or command you need to put in to put an item in your quick craft thingy

hen i first loaded up the beta it has a bunch of basic recepies pinged, how do i ping more with the remaning slots

1 minute ago, Ink nova said:

like if you see in the beta you can ping a recepie to have easy access to it

but idk which button or command you need to put in to put an item in your quick craft thingy

hen i first loaded up the beta it has a bunch of basic recepies pinged, how do i ping more with the remaning slots

You click on the recipe you want in the menu so it shows at the bottom, then you click on an empty quick access slot to place it there.