[Poll] On HD Textures

Some ground.   

79 members have voted

1. 1. Before answering the poll or looking at the post content, have you noticed the new HD textures/art assets in recent updates?

2. 2. If yes, in which category have you noticed them?

• Character sprites
    • Item sprites
    • Regular mob sprites
    • Boss sprites
    • Structure sprites (inclusive of both player crafted and pre-existing structures)
    • Naturally occuring object sprites (e.g. Trees)
    • Placed/Preexisting Turf Tiles
    • Other (do mention in the comments)
    • I have not noticed any of the new HD assets.
  3. 3. If yes, did the upgrade to HD directly improve your gameplay experience?

4. 4. If you answered no, given that the difference has been unnoticeable on your end, do you think Klei should continue prioritizing upgrading assets to HD?

Just curious as I haven't seen much discussion of this topic on this place specifically.

Samples of texture comparisons provided by the lovely @-Variant here for your perusal:

Spoiler

HDvLQ.thumb.png.a472e93c016e8353f5e07e1603666e89.png

Screenshot_20220228_024246.thumb.jpg.c87cb739bc093a38c92a8af075111f5b.jpg

Anyways, as always, vote and discuss freely! Only a small percentage of people who view my polls actually vote, so if you like this poll, consider voting, its free tho you can't change your vote :/ Enjoy! 

It's a great thing that they are turning stuff HD it makes the game more up to date. Also, I remember Klei saying that they are just going through the files "semi-randomly/one by one". So pls, give them time. If something isn't HD just wait a bit. This is a extra cool thing they are doing that's making the game better little by little. 

You know, I hate to be “That Guy” but if they’re going to improve the visuals of a mob to be High Def, maybe they could also put some effort into updating them with slightly improved Designs?

Such as: more Chains/Shackles on Klaus/Krampii, Visible Ice/Fire on the backs of Fire & Ice Hounds, Pigmen with new skins, maybe wearing different types of clothing each season, on top of that maybe make some certain mobs change/Evolve based on the Season like that scrapped concept of what appears to be a Bird Boss that changes colors and art design per season.. Maybe Pig King wearing more Jewelry/and having trash laying around him where he just sits and eats?

To me it makes absolutely no sense at all to just improve the visuals of them but keep them looking exactly the same: UNLESS Klei’s plans are to LATER give them visual improvements… and HD upgrades is just the first step towards that.

If you want to get down to the bottom of things “Technically” Don’t Starve Together is a SEQUEL to Don’t Starve: And when most games get sequels- Most that games mobs also get a slight visual upgrade or two.

Thats not to say that I don’t Appreciate HD Textures, because I do, but.. if your going to take the time to make those textures HD why not take some extra Steps to make their appearances feel like your playing a 2022 Sequel?

For example: I would LOVE it if Marble Statues weren’t just solid white and actually had the blue and grey colors going through it like the slab of Marble does.

Thats just my two cent worth.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

You know, I hate to be “That Guy” but if they’re going to improve the visuals of a mob to be High Def, maybe they could also put some effort into updating them with slightly improved Designs?

There's no more effort being put into making them HD than there is pressing a button on their end.
Contrary to some belief, they're NOT re-making the art. They have all of the HD art in office, and are simply just swapping out the low quality ones for the HD ones that already exist.
The reason the ones in-game aren't HD was because of engine limitations and a want to make the game run smoother, we've come a long way and are now able to suit all the fancy art now!

Updating/redesigning mobs would take a truckload more effort that it takes to swap them out for the HD art, effort I don't think they can spare with the updates they're working on currently that is. Maybe sometime in the far future some older mobs could be redesigned.

3 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

I mean, better texture is better texture. Don’t see why we need an entire discussion about it.

The poll is more-so about weather or not you can tell the difference between the 2 differing qualities of the art or not!
Some folks can, some can't. It's like polling to see who they are!

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well, not to shoot your idea down, but making textures HD is a lot easier than creating new designs.

The thing is, Klei creates all their assets and sprites in HD from the get-go, so they have all of the source assets in HD, it's that they intentionally lower the quality when those assets get compiled into the animations and banks used for the game. They did this for several years because lower quality textures = less RAM is used, and with PC not having 64-bit for a long while it was important to keep memory usage low. Probably a bit of an oversimplification, but thats the gist.

Now we're at a time where a lot more assets can become HD, and it's essentially as easy as changing a value to make those assets stay HD when going through the compilation process.

damn though, I wouldn't say no to slightly new fire hound designs, I never liked how well they blended in with the regular hounds.

13 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Well, not to shoot your idea down, but making textures HD is a lot easier than creating new designs.

The thing is, Klei creates all their assets and sprites in HD from the get-go, so they have all of the source assets in HD, it's that they intentionally lower the quality when those assets get compiled into the animations and banks used for the game. They did this for several years because lower quality textures = less RAM is used, and with PC not having 64-bit for a long while it was important to keep memory usage low. Probably a bit of an oversimplification, but thats the gist.

Now we're at a time where a lot more assets can become HD, and it's essentially as easy as changing a value to make those assets stay HD when going through the compilation process.

damn though, I wouldn't say no to slightly new fire hound designs, I never liked how well they blended in with the regular hounds.

Oh okay that makes a lot more sense then thanks! :) but now I have a whole other question: Since I don’t know what the differences between 32bit & 64bit actually does, how does the game know what to upgrade to HD and what to Not upgrade? As you said Klei had them running at low Res for less Ram used, but now that they’re updating those to take up more Ram- How will older PCs handle pulling the game?

sorry for all the questions, I just remember some forum members freaking out that their PC could no longer pull the game when Klei did a simple update to the compendium that added blinking, floating character heads- this can’t be too different from that right?

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

how does the game know what to upgrade to HD and what to Not upgrade?

Well the game itself doesn't do any of that, the developers have the assets lowered when they compile the assets and animations(compile essentially means turning something the human understands into something the computer understands. The human knows what goes on with the animation software and art softwares, and that goes through a little program to turn it into something the computer knows how to read). 

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

How will older PCs handle pulling the game?

If im being honest, no idea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I just remember some forum members freaking out that their PC could no longer pull the game when Klei did a simple update to the compendium that added blinking, floating character heads- this can’t be too different from that right?

Well, the floating heads are the same tech as everything animated in the actual game world. That always confused me when I heard fellow forumers experiencing lag supposedly, as it's just 18 animated models in the select screen. While in-game there's 100s of animated models loaded in at a time. 

This will be a very low effort post, might come back later to improve it.

Anyways I absolutely adore hd textures, the game just is nice to my eyes now, before it was blurry and it was like I was trying to wake up from a fever dream. Seriously I've tried to play single player again but I just couldn't because 1. Insanity did it's horrible distortions, 2. It got worse because of the old textures. 

the old textures made looking for stuff a absolute pain but now it's a walk in the park. And another perk of the HD textures is that DST is the most playable split screen game because of it. 

On 2/28/2022 at 5:51 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

Just curious as I haven't seen much discussion of this topic on this place specifically.

Samples of texture comparisons provided by the lovely @-Variant here for your perusal:

Hide contents

HDvLQ.thumb.png.a472e93c016e8353f5e07e1603666e89.png

Screenshot_20220228_024246.thumb.jpg.c87cb739bc093a38c92a8af075111f5b.jpg

Anyways, as always, vote and discuss freely! Only a small percentage of people who view my polls actually vote, so if you like this poll, consider voting, its free tho you can't change your vote :/ Enjoy! 

Surprised the **** out of me when pig Wilson looked higher quality, I don't know if its just me and i'm going crazy but I swear it used to be so much lower quality

Archived