[Poll] On World Customization Options

Damn it, Arthas! As my future king, order me to purge this city!  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you customize your world generation settings?

2. 2. If yes, what are the reasons you usually change the worldgen settings?

• I want to have more challenging gameplay.
    • I want to have less challenging gameplay.
    • I want a funny donut world.
    • My computer is too weak to run caves.
    • To see what happens.
    • To see how long it takes my friends to notice.
    • To turn off irritating mechanics (e.g. Disease, Smoldering, Meteors)
    • I want more resources for aesthetic builds specifically.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I answered no.
  3. 3. Do you think Klei should add more customizability with world settings?

4. 4. Do you think Klei should balance the game around the default world generation settings?

5. 5. Bonus question: do you make/use world generation presets?

Spoiler

Grom: Hello again, Mannoroth.
Mannoroth: Me! It... can't be.
Grom: You've come to bring me and my brethren back into the fold. Though we orcs failed the Burning Legion before, we will now serve you once again!
Mannoroth: No! You... are free!
Grom: I'm a stupid, pitiful creature! You are the rage in my heart. You are the fury of our thoughts. You alone empowered us to bring chaos to this world, and by the endless void, we shall!

filler text because i only wanted to post the poll lmao

as always, vote and discuss freely in the comments

I only set the meteors to more when starting a new world, because I hate waiting for a year and still not getting the celestial orb. If I'm starting a serious world, I also set the event to Hallowed Nights so I can produce some extra living logs in case I have no living trees.

I like world customization settings as they allow for a more unique playthrough than just same ol constant with same ol shenanigans.

At least on the PC version, when combined with some mods, it makes for a unique experience that can keep my attention, at the same time though I like to make sure I'm still on as fair of grounds as possible with the raid bosses.

I've chosen "other" as one of the options for the reason of customization and it's because I use world settings to make my playsessions - especially rushes of some sort - more consistent, i.e. "none" for the boons and "classic resources" for starting resources, often "none" for the touchstones as well.

Another reason falling into "other" category is to make game different, for example, long seasons mean player meets Bearger first autumn (and has only 1.5 days to utilize it and/or kill it), needs to prepare for heavy rain first autumn, in late autumn and early spring player needs temperature and rain protection at the same time for longer periods, etc.

Other than that I don't like to switch tasks too often, and winter and spring always seem too short for me, sometimes even summer, which is why I enjoy long seasons more than default ones.

Before I started to play on public servers I tried "nothing world" challenge to be better prepared, just in case; now I sometimes create "indestructible only" worlds to be in shape for postapocalyptic pubs (usually those past day 30 or those that entered summer, or with a lot of selfish players turning all pig houses into helmets and wasting them).

I only turn off smoldering. It's really easy to solve, it just requires ugly flingos everywhere.

But how can Klei balance the game around non-default worlds? There's got to be millions of possible combinations, how are they supposed to balance one game around so many different types of worlds? Isn't the point of world customization that you're balancing your world? 

get this
overworld
MOST BRANCHES
my frineds seem to never know it exist, that i even change that, and then they wonder how my world seems weirder then most, other wise its clasic resource whit mostly default things, less anemes sea star trap things, because i never use them but still want them to kind of exist, a little les dog attacks and hunt surprise, no wildfire because there stupid and i dont want to place more then 1 ice machine for the plants, little less of sharks and antlion attacks

cave
little less of cave worm attacks, little moles, NO MONKEYS! i honestly dont want a "stop playing" timer when im down there, little less bats because there annoying, litle less nightmare from the ruins, like, there realy too many out there, more skeletons in the caves, because i think it gives a more reason to explore and find something down there

so yes, thats something yes? something that can actualy be more fun that way

Let’s put it this way.. Klei once upon a long time ago added a very controversial group of mobs known as the Lunar Horror Mobs, these type of Mobs were discontinued after only Three were released- those Mobs being- Horror Hounds, Lunar Pengull & Shattered Spiders- Deemed as not fitting of the game.

However instead of removing these mobs, Klei instead opt’d to add a toggle to turn them OFF just these specific versions of these mob variations.. not more or less for them, just Default or Off.

This world Gen setting was only added so that these mobs would not disturb people who have a physical discomfort with them.

But because they weren’t straight up Warbucks’d out of the game: shows that Klei wants them there for people who enjoy them.

Now the REASON these mobs were so controversial was because they were added into the game on Default settings, Pretty sure No one at all would’ve complained had they been an optional DLC players can download, that is toggled to OFF by Default & can be toggled ON by the player.

Unfortunately, instead of continuing these beautiful twisted Abominations Klei choose to abandon them and leave the ones they did add as Optional Content.

Thats what I’d like to stress is important about World Gen toggles- it’s all OPTIONAL CONTENT..

Klei does a ton of extra changes to the game that makes this optional content playable, such as changing A.I. Behavior for their official “Lights Out” Mode.

And I don’t feel content should be designed exclusively around the “Default” experience, Because when they do things that way we have Disease (which believe it or not some people actually liked…) completely removed from the game instead of just being set to OFF on Default with the OPTION to toggle it back on later.

Instead.. Disease went the way of Warbucks, and at this time it is unknown if a Disease 2.0 will make a comeback.

The reason the Uncompromising Mod Servers Klei has set up to “test” ended up failing is because there was more about those servers that players Did NOT Like that outweighed what those players DID LIKE, Which is why having the OPTION to Opt Into/Out of certain aspects of content is a good thing.

And I feel like if Klei adds new difficulty settings or a through the ages style world that scales in difficulty the longer that world exists things should be OFF by Default with the OPTION to Opt into them at all, or Earlier/Later.

For example let’s just pretend that they DO add a “Through the Ages” progressively scaling world and this new update adds 6 different varieties of each season so:

Winter 1, Winter 2, Winter 3 , Winter 4, Winter 5, Winter 6 Etc..

World Gen settings allow you to CHOOSE if you want to spend 20+ real world hours to get to winter 6 or if you want your first winter to START as Winter 6..

Allowing people to effectively experience extremely late game content, but within the span of 30 minutes to an hour they may have to play the game.

Without these “OPTIONS” then You spend god only knows how long experiencing game content and weather seasons that you are familiar with and you have to spend X amount of hours repeating the same gameplay your sick of just to get to and enjoy the “Newer” Content you want to experience.

Its like locking the Eye of The Storm update behind needing to do a bunch of boss fights and quests before you can experience the “Moonstorm” weather effects-

Ive joined multiplayer worlds where the Moonstorm was already activated by that worlds host… and that is the ONLY times I’ve experienced the Moonstorms because when playing alone: My world usually don’t last past day 600 until I’m bored and delete them to start a new one.

Hopefully this long post helps people to understand that OPTIONS are always a good thing.

Empty world preset is nice to have for experimenting with possible mod changes, or just...exploring weird edge cases of gameplay.

But for normal use...
There are some things that are just tedious to deal with in solo worlds compared to multiplayer, so I adjust to compensate. More Bird/Butterfly spawns, a bit heightened regen so areas don't look so barren after I rip through swaths of the world like a whirlwind...

Oh, and...
Meteor rain as high as possible.
I want my pretty space rocks damnit.
Bring down the sky.

If the random seasons length setting actually randomised the length of seasons each year instead of only once at generation I think I’d play that. Otherwise I play default. Edit: I forgot I always turn off twiggy tree regrowth after a while because I hate seeing twigs on the ground everywhere. So there’s that :rolleyes:

personally I’d rather they try to make the generation of the actual map more interesting and unpredictable (configuration of biomes, set pieces, landmasses etc) instead of adding ‘more or less’ toggles for every little thing in the game. 

12 hours ago, Ohan said:

If the random seasons length setting actually randomised the length of seasons each year instead of only once at generation I think I’d play that. Otherwise I play default. Edit: I forgot I always turn off twiggy tree regrowth after a while because I hate seeing twigs on the ground everywhere. So there’s that :rolleyes:

personally I’d rather they try to make the generation of the actual map more interesting and unpredictable (configuration of biomes, set pieces, landmasses etc) instead of adding ‘more or less’ toggles for every little thing in the game. 

I’m pretty sure everything you just said also qualifies as world Gen settings, (land loops, land branches, etc) and any additional ones that will be added in the future will also be here in these same settings.

But of course- having more naturally funky world gens in the same aspects as Spelunky 2 might be nice. :) 

4 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I wrongfully assumed something 

No hard feelings, it happens.. I can tell you that as a Console game player there are very very few games that give the player as much control over their game as DS & DST do through their world Gen settings & content toggles: So it’s one of the very FIRST things I immediately noticed and thought was “Unique” There may be many other PC games that have done this, but from what I’ve played on Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo- It was and still continues to be.. a rare treat

When Minecraft gets an update there’s no way for me (again as a console player) to “opt out” of that content update, like for me a long time ago they added some weird mob that brings skeleton horses and skeletons with crossbows down out of the sky in a lightning storm- These things absolutely killed my enjoyment of Minecraft.

When it comes to DS/DST however- When Klei adds something I don’t like or am physically uncomfortable with: I can turn it off.

For example: I have a weak stomach when I’m trying to eat food in reality, so if I want to still play and enjoy DST whilst also eating my real food then I need to toggle off Ewecus, and the newer Molebat mob that snores little snot bubbles.

When I’m not trying to eat, these things don’t bother me as much, but it’s just one example out of many why having the option to turn certain aspects of your game “off” is a good thing.

im hoping Klei will eventually hire a group of people to specifically focus on this part of the game who can understand & see the full potential behind their capabilities, while the rest of the team works on other types of content updates.. the people hired to Amp World Gen & World Gen Settings up to 11 will be doing their thing.

And whenever a new update (or 3) is released.. this menu gets updated to adjust for it.

As an example: Currently there are no world Gen settings at all for the Water Logged Biome that was added back in August of 2021, which also means if you have Spiders tuned to “Tons” then your in for one really bad Water Logged biome experience unless your playing as Webber.

I also can’t toggle more/less or None on Grass Gators

But even more head scratching then that.. the Eye for an Eye update released in November (3 months after Water Logged) had the Eye of Terror & the Terrarium added to world toggles.

Which proves that certain content updates haven’t been added to these menus while others have.

Im hopeful one or more of the 6 updates coming this year will add these things as well as impact other aspects of the game in big & meaningful ways.

I love the world gen options, and i wish there were more of them. Being able to change how long each day dusk night, the lengths of each season, and what season the game starts in adds a lot of replayablity to the game. Some of the world gen options are unclear on what they do however, like setting bosses to lots doesn't actually make more bosses spawn simaltainously, but just more frequently.

Archived