Applied Horticulture was overnerfed

Theres no practical use for it, 10 berries is pretty worthless and using them on crops is the worst way to farm since you dont get seed from unhappy plants the whole reason for the nerf was illogical, the new farming system makes using it for hp/sanity useless because of the lack of seeds and nerfing it because of food is even more astounding with op food sources like spiders and meatballs having more than 10 berries wouldnt break the game

speaking of spiders and abilites that give easy hp/sanity/hunger Webber and Wendy can farm a very large amount of spiders very easily with little resources allowing them to survive off of monster meat for food and glands for easy hp with the silk being useful a large variety of things including sanity

so please klei fourms please tell me how did everybody respond so positively to this change?

is it because nobody plays Wicker or is it because the community is so damn toxic because some irrelevant jerk said she was one of the best characters a few years ago? Is that also why people are defending one of the worst refreshed yet? just because yall are so petty Wolfgang was barely even nerfed hes just not fun now is this really what you wanted???? 

man i hate the fourms 

20 minutes ago, DJO7000 said:

is it because nobody plays Wicker or is it because the community is so damn toxic because some irrelevant jerk said she was one of the best characters a few years ago?

no, its because the book's recipe is still cheap and it still has 5 uses, which allows you to grow 50 crops. And if you add nutrients (or plant combos) and water to the farm plot prior using the book, you still can get at least 1 fruit and 1 seed in the appropriate season.

Is that also why people are defending one of the worst refreshed yet?

Wolfgang and Willow reworks still exist.

just because yall are so petty Wolfgang was barely even nerfed hes just not fun now is this really what you wanted????

"fun" and "unfun" are subjective concepts. All the point of Wolfgang was making him "The Strongman" as he was being intended.

Should I remind you how everyone complained about Wanda being stronger just because she has a whip that has damage higher than a dark sword while not taking into account that you need to have like 10 hp to double its damage?

man i hate the fourms 

welcome to the society.

the new farming system makes using it for hp/sanity useless because of the lack of seeds

me, who eats almost no meat after getting dfruit/tomaroot/tomaroot (for dpie) or potato/potato/garlic/onion (for creamy potato puree) combos: kk

So maybe you were unaware but this nerf happened so far back in the past that everyone forget it and moved on.. shes one of if not the ONLY character who has been Nerfed and has not even been Reworked yet..

Her time to shine will come.

If she still had her old book, she would have broken the Reap What You Sow update in half. the cost and spacing of farms before the update was the only limit on her power, and since crops can now be planted right next to eachother for dirt cheap, it would have multiplied her power exponentially. It would have been beyond over powered, it would have been satirical parody at that point.

I guess we'll just have to see what her rework has in store for her. I agree the nerf is pretty annoying, but it's not the worst thing in the world. I used Maxwell to help someone farm up a ton of potatoes in a few minutes, and while it was annoying, it was far from terrible, and we got plenty of crops in a short amount of time.

49 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

actually she is a very good farmer only behind wormwood

Well theyre the only two survivors with farming perks :lol: if im not mistaken.. 

I actually think Wickerbottom has the edge tbh.

Wormwood just saves time planting and can become a one-man-band but thats its. Applied Horticulture’s power cant be replicated by any other character in contrast to Wormwood’s farming perks which can be easily replicated. (Aside from wild crops.. but even then...)

thats why i think seeds planted by wormwood just start with extra happiness points.

—-

to OP: applied horticulture is still very powerful for the reason ppl have already stated (kickstarting farms, getting crop and seeds back with minimal care before reading etc) 

if its berries ur after you should try using 10 juicy berry bushes instead. 10 regular berries suddenly become 30 juicy berries for every read. 

26 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Well theyre the only two survivors with farming perks :lol: if im not mistaken.. 

A few characters are indirectly slightly better at farming. Maxwell & Woodie can collect wood for rigamajigs faster, Walter can kill birds easier to make a feather hat to get seeds faster, etc. Nothing too notable.

28 minutes ago, Ohan said:

I actually think Wickerbottom has the edge tbh.

I think Wickerbottom is better at starting farms, and Wormwood is better at mass producing crops. Technically anyone can plant hundreds of crops to then harvest and bundle wrap, but creating all those rigamajigs and hoeing all that ground would be rather silly.

For just general farm use that isn't mass producing or first starting the farms it would come down to preference. Wormwood saves a lot of time from not needing to hoe, the main time sink for non-giant farms, while Wickerbottom can immediately produce some crops without needing to wait.

12 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

A few characters are indirectly slightly better at farming. Maxwell & Woodie can collect wood for rigamajigs faster, Walter can kill birds easier to make a feather hat to get seeds faster, etc. Nothing too notable.

Yeah thats what i was thinking about. I think Wurt might actually be in third place for perks directly related to farming since Merm King can produce crop seeds.. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

For just general farm use that isn't mass producing or first starting the farms it would come down to preference

I agree. I guess i just never take mass planting wild crops in consideration because i find it too tedious to pick that many individual crops. So for me the only farming really is giants which dont require a ton of planting like u mentioned. Thats why i prize a.hort’s ability to instantly grow not only crops but also fillers between giant harvests higher than Worm’s planting perk. 

OH no! Wicker can't make 1 trillion veggies anymore! What will I do.

IT has been a year, and everyone moved on, despite applied horticulture being nerfed wicker can still:

Make the most effective wood farm in the game.

Mass farm Monster meat, tentacle spikes and spots.

Mass farm twigs, grass and reeds.

Can make 150 juicy berries using a single horticulture abridged.

Efficient base griefing.

Summon meat from the sky for the meager cost of 2 papyrus and eggs.

Oh but they run away you say? Use sleepytime stories, the panflute but made in china.

With the downsides of decreased effectiveness of stale or spoiled food. Oh and the can't sleep thing, which I don't really count as a downside.

1 minute ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

With the downsides of decreased effectiveness of stale or spoiled food. Oh and the can't sleep thing, which I don't really count as a downside.

Her real downside is part of her upsides. Books arent free, neither crafting nor casting nor the setup required to make effective use of them. With On Tentacles theres also a big aspect of danger to it. Not many survivors can get killed by their own perks :lol:

(similar to woodie where his forms r upside and downside in one) 

thats not to say that her two other downsides cant be bumped up a bit and made more interesting with her refresh though.

I just think people often neglect to mention the cost it takes to make use of her books. 

Just now, Ohan said:

Her real downside is part of her upsides. Books arent free, neither crafting nor casting nor the setup required to make effective use of them. With On Tentacles theres also a big aspect of danger to it. Not many survivors can get killed by their own perks :lol:

(similar to woodie where his forms r upside and downside in one) 

thats not to say that her two other downsides cant be bumped up a bit and made more interesting with her refresh though.

I just think people often neglect to mention the cost it takes to make use of her books. 

Kinda, a trip to the swamp at least once every season should get you enough for the season (unless you have bad world gen). The only somewhat pricey book is end is nigh but if you are playing solo you have no need for it.

Kind of off topic, but I am just now realizing that on paper, her no sleep downside is pretty cool. She can generate food at the cost of sanity, while being locked out of the way to generate sanity at the cost of food. Sleep is just big garbo in game and no one uses it.

On topic though, I think the nerf was justified. It took no effort at all to generate more food than a full server knew what to do with. That was definitely the only part of her that was broken though, so I'm hoping she doesn't get the Wolfgang rework treatment. She's well been dethroned from her OP position imo, and just needs some more interesting gameplay

7 hours ago, DJO7000 said:

is it because nobody plays Wicker or is it because the community is so damn toxic because some irrelevant jerk said she was one of the best characters a few years ago? Is that also why people are defending one of the worst refreshed yet? just because yall are so petty Wolfgang was barely even nerfed hes just not fun now is this really what you wanted???? 

all of the above

The nerf was absolutely justified because Wicker was able to produce arbitrary amounts of food with minimal effort.

She’s still an excellent character and most of the books will be used because they’re very helpful.

11 minutes ago, Toros said:

The nerf was absolutely justified because Wicker was able to produce arbitrary amounts of food with minimal effort.

She’s still an excellent character and most of the books will be used because they’re very helpful.

i disagree since food was not a problem in the first place and i don't think she was ever a top tier character since a lot of her books are meh or damn near useless

Archived