official Hard mode or like Master mode?

31 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

World settings

That's all I have to say

This.. but also wouldn’t hurt for Klei to add new presets to those world settings for lazy people who don’t feel like changing world settings manually (yes people are actually that lazy)

But- it also gives Klei a chance to show us THEIR Version of what a Uncompromising Mode should feel like (Please note I said MODE and not MOD..)

I- For example: would like them to bring poison mechanics back to the game and give us an option to choose rather the frogs that rain during frog rain are regular frogs or poisoned dart frogs.

This is just one tiny example of how they can ramp up the difficulty by letting us choose how much, how little, or in this case- what effect happens- To features of the game.

Bonus points if they add in a Randomize everything button that TRULY gives me a random experience.

47 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

World settings

That's all I have to say

There's a picture that perfectly describes this comment.

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This.. but also wouldn’t hurt for Klei to add new presets to those world settings for lazy people who don’t feel like changing world settings manually (yes people are actually that lazy)

But- it also gives Klei a chance to show us THEIR Version of what a Uncompromising Mode should feel like (Please note I said MODE and not MOD..)

I- For example: would like them to bring poison mechanics back to the game and give us an option to choose rather the frogs that rain during frog rain are regular frogs or poisoned dart frogs.

This is just one tiny example of how they can ramp up the difficulty by letting us choose how much, how little, or in this case- what effect happens- To features of the game.

Bonus points if they add in a Randomize everything button that TRULY gives me a random experience.

There's a point where changing world settings no longer does much for the difficulty, I've tried master mode Terraria and it's brutal, maybe it's because I'm less experienced at terraria then Don't starve together but I wouldn't mind making a fight with spiders a thing you would avoid.

Maybe make it in this uncompromising mode that football helms only give 40% protection while log suits give 60% protection, food heals you for 80% less, enemies like Deerclops would pierce your armor effectively making tanking useless against him, enemies have a 50/50 chance to either hit your head, hit your torso, or hit both dealing double damage.

1 hour ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

There's a picture that perfectly describes this comment.

There's a point where changing world settings no longer does much for the difficulty, I've tried master mode Terraria and it's brutal, maybe it's because I'm less experienced at terraria then Don't starve together but I wouldn't mind making a fight with spiders a thing you would avoid.

Maybe make it in this uncompromising mode that football helms only give 40% protection while log suits give 60% protection, food heals you for 80% less, enemies like Deerclops would pierce your armor effectively making tanking useless against him, enemies have a 50/50 chance to either hit your head, hit your torso, or hit both dealing double damage.

You see here's the thing, DST Isn't Terraria, and the suggestions you mentioned would make the game overbearingly difficult, and not in a fun way. Forcing players into a playstyle is the same problem I had with Master mode (And for almost no reward besides the challenge btw). Making DST more difficult by nerfing items is a terrible way to go about making the game harder, bloating HP doesn't work either, that just leads to boring and tedious fights (Soloing bosses is enough evidence for me).

If you're seriously looking for something harder, try the Uncompromising mod, it's really good. It adds new mechanics to just about everything, and makes you switch up certain food sources and recipes. Enemies are given tons of new mechanics, each with their own new reward. The seasons are harsher, and the new stuff is really great. Seriously, shoutout to all the people who work on it, it's incredible!

(Look Mike before you say it, I know Console can't play mods, but we're just gonna have to move on rn man)

a hard mode in DST will never work because making certain aspects of the game more difficult will inevitably make other aspects less fun/more tedious or outright remove certain playstyles

personally what I'd recommend to keep things interesting is to try to set your own challenges and restrictions

3 hours ago, xhyom said:

It's named wesmode

I play Woodie these days and with his 150 health etc it feels like immortal WX. Maybe having an option to select a character in a "hard mode", which alter their stats to the ones of Wes, including hunger drain etc. could be a good idea. Why? Cos Wes is just damn ugly. Imagine for example Wolfgang with Wes´ stats, sounds like fun...

I picture something entirely different for “Hard Mode” I don’t want something that is going to be extremely frustrating and no fun whatsoever/ I want something that’s going to challenge me in NEW WAYS beyond just difficulty to play the game differently.

Heres an Example- you guys are absolutely SPOILED by your large inventories and being able to carry around massive stacks of items with no movement speed penalty whatsoever-

I play State of Decay 2 on Nightmare Difficulty.. I’ve mentioned this before but, the most you can carry in Inventory is 6-8 and the MORE you carry the faster you drain stamina and the less reliable your melee attacks will be.

If any of you have ever played Skyrim or Fallout you could only carry SO MUCH before your character started suffering movement speed penalties- and considering how laughably easy it is to get a Beefalo or a Boat with a pinching winch to carry your stuff… 

On an actual “Hard Mode” I would want you to have to use that Beefalo or boat to carry around large amounts of resources otherwise- your simply not carrying around rocks stacked in 40’s

I don’t need “LoL’z get hit Once and your dead noob” I need NEW Challenges… That change up the game, Tentacles in Swamp biome actually moving about in the biome and randomly changing up location.. 

Theres “make the game harder but fun…” and then there’s “make the game highly frustrating to the point of rage quit”

I want “fun” please and thank you. 

3 hours ago, shiffy said:

would there be a hard mode in the future?

oh, I see you are a masochist.

c'mon, terraria master mode drastically increases difficulty without adding new mechanics, and the only rewards are tasteless golden statues and bland pets which do nothing (excluding two new mounts, but that's not enough imho)

If DST Hard Mode will be like Terraria Expert Mode (new boss attacks, new items, etc) - that'll be good and I'll play it. But if like Master - no, no-no-no, I would rather play a classic one.

Wes was explicitly added to be hard mode. Less health, less hunger, less sanity, less damage, and his only potential upside was the not-so-useful balloons. Then they reworked Wes and he's no longer explicitly the hard mode character and now a great team support. If you want to increase the game's difficulty I would recommend playing as Wes, Wormwood, Warly, or maybe Wanda. They still have upsides, especially team focused ones, but are in general harder to play.

Adventure Mode fullfilled function of hard mode in single player really good in my opinion, and I think it's best solution for DST hard mode: difficulty would arise not due to nerfs, buffs to healthbars or grind increase, but because player would have to use different resources (master eyebrella won't help with 2.5/4 seasons), use less familiar strategies to overcome obstacles (mushrooms for sanity control, another target to teleport to with lazy explorer, keeping lazy deserter prototyped for lowering sanity when needed), and circumstances would be different from standart world majority plays on.

If Adventure Mode was ever added, it should be updated with RoG, AnR, RoT, underground content (biomes, seasons, events, crafts), as well as traps and obstacles, since DST now has sailable ocean and copy-pasted land bridges from "game is afoot" just won't work; I would like ocean content to be requirement to finish AM successfully, not just something that can be never touched at all.

6 hours ago, Erineyes7 said:

World settings

That's all I have to say

Most of the settings doesnt make the game harder but richer in resources (more shadows = same difficulty but more nf) anyways i dont considere neccesary having a harder mode, for that there are different characters and stage of the game

In a sense Wilderness looks like an attempt at "Hard Mode" from KLei's side. But you know how many Wilderness servers exist atm out there? 52 out of 8596 (printscreen in spoiler, but anyone can check this via filters) - a meager 0.6%. Meaning overwhelming majority of players out there don't fancy pseudo-perma-death and losing all their map and character research/items progress. To a point this could be extrapolated into some theoretical "Hard Mode" where everything hostile would be buffed, environment conditions harsher, character stats, armor, abilities nerfed etc. Yet frankly I would assume players percentage will be even lower - again, as a comparison, one can simply check how many "Uncompromising mod" servers exist in server populace: 67 out of 8597 at moment of this post, respectively ~0.78% (details in spoiler below as well). With both somewhat-"hard mode" example having a less-than-1% user-base, you can confidently and objectively write there pretty much isn't an audience for such game-style. And this would weight-in quite a lot for KLei into investing resources needed to develop a similar mode (that almost no-one will actually use it). More-so since there are, as pointed above, alternatives to a certain extent: changing game settings, playing Wes, mods, self-imposed restrictions, etc.

Spoiler

Total number of Wilderness Mode servers in existence atm of this post:

wilderness-mode_servers.thumb.jpg.6a4526d9ebd3e842296dc8bd53a24dd7.jpg

Total number of servers employing Uncompromising Mod atm of this post:

uncompromising-mod_servers.thumb.jpg.1bc2e289df54d91b4dcf6f799fba7a08.jpg

2 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Im with you with your post but i wanna be a little picky since i see how often a detail is forgoten.

One thing is the total audience of the game and how and how much this audience enjoy the game and its parts, we can argue based on stadistics that adding late game content is a waste because most people play autumn and winter at most but what we see is klei releasing late game content along with early/medium game content instead of just wasting resources to release early and medium game content.

Why? Well, klei has access to certain data and they might notice that keeping old players might be more profitable than making super happy new players (anyway those players will see that the game is getting updated and the amount of early game content wont make them miss new stuff) since new players just buy the game (low price) and try it to drop it, play many hours but without wasting more money or falling in love and buy skins and characters often

So maybe is more profitable for klei to work arround veterans which waste money often rather than making happy people who already wasted all the money they were decided to waste

40 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

....One thing is the total audience of the game and how and how much this audience enjoy the game and its parts, we can argue based on stadistics that adding late game content is a waste because most people play autumn and winter at most but what we see is klei releasing late game content along with early/medium game content instead of just wasting resources to release early and medium game content...

True. Still, even in case of regular/"veteran" players, via above posts, there seems to be quite a fluctuation regarding what would be a "Hard Mode" and then how many from same regular/"veteran" players bracket would like such game-style and use it on a somewhat regular basis. For such case-study, even if is another small sample and a one-time event, I would point at what happened when "Uncompromising Mod" was used in the Endless server of the most active-and-numerous EU DST community atm - "Don't Fight Together"; namely: no one played it past day 22 (usually, DFT Endless 4 iterations reach 2k in-game days before reset). Yes, this mod can be faulted for its core devs having a "no developed base allowed" philosophy, and that shows in its execution. But it remains as an example of what happens when you subject some "hard mode" scenario to a community of advanced players (with various play-styles, from boss rusher, to nomad explorer, fisher, base builder a.s.o.) - as most regular players in DFT are: no one plays it/all quit.

PvP is pretty hard. You can't really build a safe place for yourself, because your base will be smashed down sooner or later and your rarer resources will be stolen, so you have to carry it all with you or risk it and hide it somewhere (sea/caves work best). I found this "restriction" to be pretty fun while playing PvP regularly a while ago. Also, PvP turns into a forced speed run for ruins gear, which is fun as well. Or you can find some clever strategies, that you could theoretically fight of ruins gear (pan flute being one of them, i'll leave the rest for myself).

The downside of PvP is you need another player/players for it. Preferably with the same ping as you. And preferably all starting on day 1. The biggest downside is though, that many players in public PvPs join, play for 10 - 20 days and then leave, because you can't find each other. And the setup for some strategies, when you can't cooperate takes some time. Not very crowded out there unfortunately.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

True. Still, even in case of regular/"veteran" players, via above posts, there seems to be quite a fluctuation regarding what would be a "Hard Mode" and then how many from same regular/"veteran" players bracket would like such game-style and use it on a somewhat regular basis. For such case-study, even if is another small sample and a one-time event, I would point at what happened when "Uncompromising Mod" was used in the Endless server of the most active-and-numerous EU DST community atm - "Don't Fight Together"; namely: no one played it past day 22 (usually, DFT Endless 4 iterations reach 2k in-game days before reset). Yes, this mod can be faulted for its core devs having a "no developed base allowed" philosophy, and that shows in its execution. But it remains as an example of what happens when you subject some "hard mode" scenario to a community of advanced players (with various play-styles, from boss rusher, to nomad explorer, fisher, base builder a.s.o.) - as most regular players in DFT are: no one plays it/all quit.

as i said, im with you. My point simply was that in this forum number of players is always taken into consideration but klei takes into consideration more factors when they add stuff

5 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

Being slower isnt fun im sorry

I never said it would be “Fun” to be slower, but it WOULD make you play the game in new ways that WOULD be Fun if you had to play the game differently..

look I’m sorry okay?? I can’t past the idea my character walks around ridiculously slowly carrying one missing piece of a statue, but can run around at the speed of light with 4 slots of 40 stacks of rocks- that is 160 rocks In your pocket… that probably would weigh more then the statue your having a heart attack trying to carry.

But what is most peoples solution to the statues being so slow to carry? Tame a Beefalo and store them on him.

Just like when your weighed down with stuff in SoD 2 you bring a Car to fill up it’s trunks, or when you over weigh to the point you can’t move AT ALL in your characters Inventory in Ark Survival Evolved- You can get on a Nearby Dino and the weight of YOU being over weighted is added to that dinos overall weight carrying capacity so: TL:DR you can completely over weigh yourself but use something as Transportation to carry your overweighted self.

Another thing I would absolutely love to see changed if a “Hard Mode” was added is the ability to Pre-Craft, Cancel Placement of- And then keep an entire freaking base worth of structures in your inventory, those should have to be built and placed down on the spot.

But with things like Beefalo, Boats and magical walking storage chests.. it shouldn’t be too hard to accommodate those changes.

Thats where I believe you and I come at odds on what a hard mode should be-

Some people are wanting a Dark Souls Simulator where one hit means “LoL’z you Dead” where as I- Just want the game to challenge me in NEW WAYS.

If the ability to “Shave” Beefalo for its Wool were not an option on a Harder mode: it would mean you would need to lure one away from its herd & then Murder it for its wool..

If you couldn’t build a Bird Cage in this so called “Hard Mode” you could not just simply sit around in base all day getting free eggs from a caged up bird and would actually have to “Fight” or “Steal and Run away from” mobs that Carry Eggs Such as Tallbirds or Pengulls.

Without your eggs being so easy to get: Goodbye precious Pierogi Meta..

Which brings me to another change- The healing Tab, There’s a Healing tab item labeled as a Booster Shot, all this thing does is restore portions of your health core if you suck bad enough at the game to keep dying and lowering your health core.. but- it’s also a SHOT and much like the Blood Plague Cure in State of Decay 2- Should probably cure you whenever you take damage where your health core is constantly bleeding out (yes I mean bring back Shipwreckeds Poison over time mechanics) this should also effect Walters Downside of being quote “Deathly Allergic” to Bee’s my little brother actually IS Deathly Allergic to them, and he needs an a special shot or immediate 9/11 attention to reduce the swelling that would otherwise- seal up his throat pipe preventing him from being able to breath. Make Walter need to create these “Booster Shots” anytime he is dumb enough to get stung by a Bee.

Oh and that Reduced Health Core when you absolutely suck at the game and keep dying?? Well- on the Mobile version of DS you can actually spawn into the game with that ALREADY Reduced because it’s a World Gen Setting.

BC8DF6EA-14E2-4BD7-AB34-502F155390D8.thumb.jpeg.32c76f32ecc0689253d0592ef0f59b12.jpeg

That Menu you all keep Dismissing CAN actually be used to make the game easier or Harder.. And Klei has done it before.

But I don’t want Dark Souls or Expert Mode levels of Difficulty- even State of Decay 2 on Nightmare mode isn’t hard when you know what your doing, play smarter.. and go into situations fully prepared.

And that’s exactly what a DST “Hard Mode” should bring to the table- Otherwise very few people will find such a mode enjoyable.

and this would be a waste of development time and resources for Klei.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

in a buggy and almost forget phone version...

They “probably” just haven’t had time to add new features to that world Gen settings options that they forgot to add a Reduced max health core option.. but it’s something they did ONCE and was the entire focus for a whole QoL update- it’s something they can continue to add to and expand upon in future QoL’s.

And it’s a way to give us Harder and Easier gameplay options without favoring one side of the fanbase over the other.

(I mean you can literally toggle wildfires and meteor storms to TONS now if your crazy enough to want to do that… or you can completely turn them OFF if there something you’d rather not deal with.)

The change in difficulty is already readily available to us… without turning the game into Dark Souls levels of “get hit once means world deletion”

8 hours ago, Duck986 said:

c'mon, terraria master mode drastically increases difficulty without adding new mechanics, and the only rewards are tasteless golden statues and bland pets which do nothing (excluding two new mounts, but that's not enough imho)

Those additional 2 accessory slots count as "reward" for playing Master Mode aswell. Making it easier to make versatile or stronger specialized builds.

Tho i do miss the short lived time where Black Spot used be OP for boss fights.

Archived