My submission for the Halloween event was denied, despite meeting all the criteria, and I'm not getting a response from Klei. EDIT: Klei responded!

edit: JoeW had contacted me and solved the issue, and had once again proven he is, in fact, a cool dude!

I entered a screenshot that followed all of the rules of the event, and was emailed back that my submission did not meet the requirements. I got this email after the event already ended.

Here was my submission:

1613820254_kleihalloween2021.thumb.png.c5ed93d0a4a7c86bb990d257a3824cad.png

Everything in that picture is part of Uncompromising Mode, and I am the lead developer and Discord owner of the mod.

I also want to go over the rules one by one to point out how I met every criteria

1) You must be at least 18 years old or have parental permission to submit.

I am, indeed, over 18 years old

2. The image must be your own and taken for the purpose of this submission.

It is my own image, yes.

3. Your photo or image MUST include a handwritten sign with “Klei Halloween 2021” in it.

As per the explicit, and underlined, emboldened, and colored rules instructions, I have indeed taken it very litterally and included a handwritten sign with "Klei Halloween 2021" on it.

One thing someone might argue is that below, in the *tips* for being accepted, they say that you can type "Klei Halloween 2021" in chat. I took it a step further, and wrote a little sign, took a photo, uploaded it to my computer, then cropped it into the screenshot. The email I got told me to read the rules carefully (it wasn't like, a unique email, it seemed like a pre-prepared copy paste email for disqualified submissions), so I indeed read the rules carefully, and yup, the rule says "MUST INCLUDE A HANDWRITTEN SIGN WITH "KLEI HALLOWEEN 2021" IN IT."

Saying "Klei Halloween 2021" in chat is never mentioned as a rule, only a tip, that I imagine exists for people who want to send a screenshot, but cannot, or do not want to take a picture of a hand written sign, upload it, etc.

4. No tricks for treats! You must “try” to have an interesting or funny costume or image.

I have Wilson wearing a rat mask, surrounded by rats that are holding 2 Pumpkin Lanterns and 1 Watermelon Lantern. I'd say this qualifies. It's also a subjective rule.

5. If you don’t want to post a costume, cool. Post something else Fall or Halloween related that follows the other entry rules. An In-game Costume, Fan Art, Jack o’ Lantern or spooky scene.

It's Wilson in a costume, dressed as a rat. Costume, check. It is Halloween related, it's got Jack-O-Lanterns in it! Check. And it's during the night, which automatically makes it spooky, because the night is spooky. Spooky scene, check.

6. All images must be PG - any inappropriate images will be deleted and blocked from participating.

Definetly PG, you may find the rat mask a little bit creepy, but theres nothing over PG about it.

7. Costumes aren’t required to be related to Klei or Klei games to get a reward (though they are welcome, of course!).

Despite not having to make it Klei related, I think it helps that it is indeed, Klei related.

8. Qualifying images will receive a reward even if you choose not to allow us to share them publicly.

I opted to share it, but that doesn't really change anything.

9. As with any community submission, event rules are subject to change.

Rules hadn't changed since I submitted my entry, so it all seems good to go.

10. Participating submissions will be shared here on the forums the next day.

Not applicable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this isn't like, a relatable situation or game topic, but the email I recieved also threatened

If you think this was a mistake, you can submit one more time for an additional round of reviews. However, do not spam; spam will result in a temporary or permanent ban, which will affect your access to other Klei services and games.

Considering the fact that I got the email back after the contest ENDED, and I brought all of the above up to JoeW yesterday and haven't gotten any response, I don't want to tempt fate. I just followed all the instructions and was told I did not.

If you don't like my entry, that's fine, but that's just not what this post is about.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Notecja said:

If screenshot in game, then you should saying in game "klai halloween 2021" and I think the reason might be papercut Klei Hallowen. BUT I already seen somewhere screenshot with "klei halloween 2020"...

image.thumb.png.083b24d069d9c2668d8dd8c0d10d69fb.png

Yeah i was thinking i might have been that, is possible that they though you stole the picture and simply put that Cut message on top of it. 

Or simply cause you didnt typed it. 

Given the loose implementation of rules:
 - a handful of posts accepted, including mine, did not have "Klei Halloween 2021"written on,
 - one submission was literally just text,
 - yet another was a meme,
 -  there were also submissions from entirely different games,
 - and let's not forget the many plagiarized art pieces that made it past the filters this round

This treatment seems really sus to me. 

If I recall correctly, yours and Canis' submissions last year featuring Uncomp heavily were also accepted, were they not? Why not this year? I honestly see nothing wrong with the post above...

1 hour ago, Scrimbles said:

image.thumb.png.d9408b6f705d9956b9e76d796855cadb.png
image.thumb.png.3593276d0ce1f176e62b5e4c5ca22d15.png

just the part I quoted and part you quoted, are about different rules - for in game is supposed to be in chat, for picture or photo - handwritten. That is something like extra rules, which were added when people asked if they can add screenshots from game. Is copy-paste from last year, and I remember that red one were added as additional rules, after first rules you are quoting.

I am not saying, the klei did right, but you also might be not fully right, and sometimes you need to read all post. The lack of reply is awful, but maybe is was buried under other messages. 

(typing from phone went a little wrong)

4 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

. I took it a step further, and wrote a little sign, took a photo, uploaded it to my computer, then cropped it into the screenshot.

Maybe this is the problem since eveybody can edit a drawn from other person and paste a photo with "klei 2021" wrote on it

So they might though that was stolen. Just wait, i guess they will see this post and give you the skin

50 minutes ago, Notecja said:

just the part I quoted and part you quoted, are about different rules - for in game is supposed to be in chat, for picture or photo - handwritten. That is something like extra rules, which were added when people asked if they can add screenshots from game. Is copy-paste from last year, and I remember that red one were added as additional rules, after first rules you are quoting.

Yup, one was about submitting a photo and the other info box was about posting a screenshot. The screencaps above are taken out of context. >_>

It was clearly written on the page for uploading your contribution, plus in the forum threads.

- First of all, the event is called "Halloween 2021 Costume and Fan Art Event" 

so, if you decide to use an ingame screenshot. the first thing you should do is:

Checking the rule about ingame screenshot, if it doesn't included in, you then ask the dev in the comment (they have answered a lot of comment about this)

- Secondly:

7 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Saying "Klei Halloween 2021" in chat is never mentioned as a rule, only a tip, that I imagine exists for people who want to send a screenshot, but cannot, or do not want to take a picture of a hand written sign, upload it, etc.

It does say "Tips for getting your submission approved"

you don't violate the rules, yes

but you also don't get approved because again: "Tips for getting your submission approved", so fair enough to me :v

this only be a problem if a lot of people misunderstood it, but it's appears that only you are so yeah... better luck next time?

- And thirdly:

7 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Considering the fact that I got the email back after the contest ENDED

- Klei has to check hundred of submission everyday, so maybe by the time they see your submission, it's have already been too late, but they still need to seen an email to let you know about the denial (and the content of that email is probably copy paste so it tell you to submit one more time ,even when it has already been too late) 

This could be avoid if you send your submission earlier, like in day 1 to 4 because base on my experience, they only check submission in the end of the day so they can compile all of it to a post, so if you can only submit it in the last day, you have to make sure that there is no mistake :v

As others said. You posted a game screenshot and copy pasted a handwritten note photo onto it.

Thats why it was denied.

For game screenshots you need to type in chat.

For real life crafts/costume - handwritten note.

For artworks either a watermark/signature or handwritten note if its hand drawn art.

What you did can be easily fabricated from someone else's work hence why it got denied. Cause Klei are unsure if it's yours.

3 hours ago, MikoFanboy said:

- First of all, the event is called "Halloween 2021 Costume and Fan Art Event" 

so, if you decide to use an ingame screenshot. the first thing you should do is:

Checking the rule about ingame screenshot, if it doesn't included in, you then ask the dev in the comment (they have answered a lot of comment about this)

- Secondly:

It does say "Tips for getting your submission approved"

you don't violate the rules, yes

but you also don't get approved because again: "Tips for getting your submission approved", so fair enough to me :v

this only be a problem if a lot of people misunderstood it, but it's appears that only you are so yeah... better luck next time?

- And thirdly:

- Klei has to check hundred of submission everyday, so maybe by the time they see your submission, it's have already been too late, but they still need to seen an email to let you know about the denial (and the content of that email is probably copy paste so it tell you to submit one more time ,even when it has already been too late) 

This could be avoid if you send your submission earlier, like in day 1 to 4 because base on my experience, they only check submission in the end of the day so they can compile all of it to a post, so if you can only submit it in the last day, you have to make sure that there is no mistake :v

Go and double check the rules, it only says that you need a handwritten sign.

None of the rules say you need to type it in chat. That's NOT a rule.

6 hours ago, Notecja said:

I am not saying, the klei did right, but you also might be not fully right, and sometimes you need to read all post. The lack of reply is awful, but maybe is was buried under other messages. 

(typing from phone went a little wrong)

I very literally followed all of their rules. It is on them if they failed to list a rule.

29 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

I asked joew in the event topic and he and nome answered me minutes after. Also this rule was the same for the last event

Is true that they should added it but, as they said, they wanna give us skins for halloween so you shouldnt be worry about recieven it, just wait like 4 hours until is 9 in Canada and see

Most likely - since the KLei caretaker for submissions had very little time per submission analysis - it was rejected on grounds also mentioned by others above: the copy-pasted handwrite sign (that also seems to had had a mistake in it, 2011 instead of 2021) could've been interpreted as a fraudulent post/"stolen" image case. Yes, KLei weren't very clear from start in their rules, as well as for the time-frame of submissions: wasn't obvious enough if November 2 was another 24h-window for submitting images or not. Happens. Hopefully, on grounds of them being a bit vague in their initial rules, will correct this situation and give you a skin-pack reward, as intended.

Im kinda surprised they dont just give the skin reward to everyone who logs in during the event date instead of fussing with a whole submission process. Its like they want to have a fanart/costume contest but are too afraid of hurting anyones feelings by picking winners so they just do this wierd event rewarding people who can read a forum post and use the screenshot button on their computer.

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

Im kinda surprised they dont just give the skin reward to everyone who logs in during the event date instead of fussing with a whole submission process. 

The point of the event is to create something as a community, not just for Klei to give you skin. Why do you talk the they owe you a free skin or something? 

Plus, they have already given free skin for everyone during the Hallow night event

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

Its like they want to have a fanart/costume contest but are too afraid of hurting anyones feelings by picking winners so they just do this wierd event rewarding people who can read a forum post and use the screenshot button on their computer.

The event is not a contest to find who draw or cosplay the best, they just want to make something that the community to participate together, that's why they put all of the submissions into a large image in the end of the event

I'm sorry but the way you see this event make me think you're just being entitled for free skin ._.

4 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Go and double check the rules, it only says that you need a handwritten sign.

None of the rules say you need to type it in chat. That's NOT a rule.

I very literally followed all of their rules. It is on them if they failed to list a rule.

Technically, since you like to mention about  the rule, the word "screenshot" is not listed in the rule and the name of the event itself 

The use of screenshots shouldn't be a thing in the first place 

I would say that they are pretty generous for accepting screenshots 

the rule itself only applies to the cosplay and the fanart (as the name of the event)

screenshot is and will always be an afterthought because I guess some people just to lazy to draw a wilson stickman?

the way you defend yourself by acknowledging the "writing Klei Halloween 2021 in chat" is not a rule (for an event that not for screenshot in the first place) but "it's just is a tip" show that you does read that tip but decided to not follow it because "it's not in the rule"  

all that does is showing it's your fault in the first place

21 minutes ago, MikoFanboy said:

The point of the event is to create something as a community, not just for Klei to give you skin. Why do you talk the they owe you a free skin or something? 

Plus, they have already given free skin for everyone during the Hallow night event

The event is not a contest to find who draw or cosplay the best, they just want to make something that the community to participate together, that's why they put all of the submissions into a large image in the end of the event

I'm sorry but the way you see this event make me think you're just being entitled for free skin ._.

I did not participate in the event nor did i last year, so no i do not just want a free skin, but that is exactly how the event presents itself to me in my opinion, the rules are so lax they may as well just hand out the free skin and save themselves the trouble of having to sort through 4000 submissions and running into issues like the one op is having.

I got a lot of messages over the past few days. 

So, the idea is that if you were ingame, you send the ingame chat message. That's the easiest way, where as a handwritten note pasted on an ingame screenshot is a bit less verifiable. Although, there were a bunch of people that took pictures of their screen with a note as well. 

I see how that's a bit confusing, I will try to remember that for next time around. Can you DM me your KU please? @Scrimbles

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

Im kinda surprised they dont just give the skin reward to everyone who logs in during the event date instead of fussing with a whole submission process. Its like they want to have a fanart/costume contest but are too afraid of hurting anyones feelings by picking winners so they just do this wierd event rewarding people who can read a forum post and use the screenshot button on their computer.

Quite literally the intention of the event is not to judge, but to just get everybody together for something fun and get an item. Ideally the only people that didn't get rewarded were the people that didn't follow the rules correctly. There were a pretty decent number of people that would just slap something onto somebody else's screenshot or fanart. 

The rules are lax because it's not intended to be strict - it's just intended to try to keep things clean and within the spirit of the event. 

We just give items away all the time. This event was more about people showing things off and having fun. The items really are just kind of a bonus thank you for participating. 

3 minutes ago, JoeW said:

The rules are lax because it's not intended to be strict - it's just intended to try to keep things clean and within the spirit of the event. 

We just give items away all the time. This event was more about people showing things off and having fun. The items really are just kind of a bonus thank you for participating. 

Fair enough, i went against my gut instinct that my opinion might be a little too snarky but i went and shared it anyway. I guess i shouldve trusted it initially.

This thread's snark level has been achieved everyone, carry on, no need to thank me. I'll see myself out now.

22 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Fair enough, i went against my gut instinct that my opinion might be a little too snarky but i went and shared it anyway. I guess i shouldve trusted it initially.

This thread's snark level has been achieved everyone, carry on, no need to thank me. I'll see myself out now.

You're not wrong though, I considered putting in a "just give me the item" option on the submission page. That could help clean things up a bit, but it might also discourage people from participating when they may have otherwise. 

Even if there was no free random Hallowed Night skins at stake I would most likely have participated anyway. For some reason knowing you will receive a skin substantiates the effort however, even if the amount of effort is unrelated to the skin reward, it makes participating feeling like reward in itself even more (Klei is good at playing on intrinsic rewards). xd Overall it seems like everybody was very happy with how things worked out. The biggest hurdle must be looking through all the submissions over at Klei's end and to ensure a smooth operation. Thanks for the efforts. <3

Archived