Is it just me or are Gnarwails really hard to tame?

If there's an easier way please teach me. I tried everything to befriend these guys. Here's what I've done in order:

1- I approached to a Gnarwail with boat to feed, but it got distracted by a school of fish and ran away.

2- I dropped a meat near the boat to lure it close to me but I couldn't feed it while it was chewing the meat. And it quickly ran away again.

3- I waited for the night so it could sleep. I couldn't feed it while it was sleeping. When the morning came, guess what, it woke up and ran away once again.

I ended up being frustrated and killed it with the help of a boomerang. :wilson_evil:

Please tell me how to tame these animals. I wasted so much time. 

I have never tamed one, but I HAVE had them randomly decide to aggressively shove their horn through my boat (maybe it spawned under my boat I’m not sure) either way it happened unexpectedly, I wasn’t prepared and lost a fully decked out boat, I was playing alone so I rolled the server back to figure out what the heck happened.. apparently the chances of these appearing at all (especially out of nowhere through your boat) is an entirely random encounter.

Exciting! At least now I know for next time :lol:

4 minutes ago, SadeceAtakan said:

If there's an easier way please teach me. I tried everything to befriend these guys. Here's what I've done in order:

1- I approached to a Gnarwail with boat to feed, but it got distracted by a school of fish and ran away.

2- I dropped a meat near the boat to lure it close to me but I couldn't feed it while it was chewing the meat. And it quickly ran away again.

3- I waited for the night so it could sleep. I couldn't feed it while it was sleeping. When the morning came, guess what, it woke up and ran away once again.

I ended up being frustrated and killed it with the help of a boomerang. :wilson_evil:

Please tell me how to tame these animals. I wasted so much time. 

It honestly seems impossible on console, I've tried multiple times and in multiple ways like you and have never had success.

I'd also love tips on this!

4 minutes ago, BezKa said:

On PC it works if you take meat and click on it when it's far away. It will swim towards you, even if you were just fighting it. That's how it always worked for me, at least.

The PC Version of this game and the Console version are sounding more and more drastically broken with every bit of information people provide about the PC Version.

Did you know, Console players can’t drag and drop items into the ocean?

Or that We can’t control the direction or distance Wortox or Wheeler in DS Hamlet can move?

Or how far out fishing rods cast at sea?

Or did you know We also can’t Summon or Return Abigail to her flower by just grabbing the flower from our inventory and dragging it over Abigails ghost? No we actually have to be within SPEAR SLAPPING distance of Abigail to do those things.

Yet people on PC constantly tell us the only options are to “Get Good” or my favorite: “Buy a PC and play the game on the intended platform content is designed for.”

How about BOTH those choices are biased and unhelpful??

And what concerns me the most? Klei has gone on record stating they want to eventually make the DS franchise cross-Platform capable.. but UNTIL Console & PC play roughly the same way with NONE of the clear advantages listed above: That pipeline dream can NEVER happen.

My best advice I can give Klei is to stop designing content around point & click mouse gameplay… and instead design all content as if your using a game controller.

13 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

That's messed up, it's honestly sounding like it's not a feature/broken on console

I don’t mean to discredit Klei, because they’re a small indie studio and obviously they’re going to make more mistakes then say Rockstar, Ubisoft or EA the juggernauts of the gaming industry.. BUT they should also learn the same lessons the above mentioned companies have known for YEARS: 

And that’s to design ALL Content around Console Editions capabilities first, and if the games have Cross-Platform play that PC doesn’t ever have a clear advantage over Console..

Sadly DST isn’t one of those type of games.

But as Klei is a small indie studio, the mistakes can be forgiven.. But let me just state that there is a REASON the Xbox Series X/S versions of certain games can’t be compatible with the Xbox One versions playing with your friends who are still on last Gen hardware..

and those reasons should be obvious but: encase their not- Faster frame rates, loading times, draw & rendering distances etc.. 

The TL:DR- there’s a REASON why THPS 1+2 has two different versions of the game that Series X owners get and that’s because one version has clear advantages over the other. And to play with my friends: I have to play the old version.

28 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The PC Version of this game and the Console version are sounding more and more drastically broken with every bit of information people provide about the PC Version.

Or that We can’t control the direction or distance Wortox or Wheeler in DS Hamlet can move?

Or did you know We also can’t Summon or Return Abigail to her flower by just grabbing the flower from our inventory and dragging it over Abigails ghost? No we actually have to be within SPEAR SLAPPING distance of Abigail to do those things.

Yet people on PC constantly tell us the only options are to “Get Good” or my favorite: “Buy a PC and play the game on the intended platform content is designed for.”

And what concerns me the most? Klei has gone on record stating they want to eventually make the DS franchise cross-Platform capable.. but UNTIL Console & PC play roughly the same way with NONE of the clear advantages listed above: That pipeline dream can NEVER happen.

My best advice I can give Klei is to stop designing content around point & click mouse gameplay… and instead design all content as if your using a game controller.

16 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

That's messed up, it's honestly sounding like it's not a feature/broken on console

Wow, you guys really need a QoL update specifically for console and fixing all these issues, I can't imagine dealing with half of these and not going insane.

Anywho, I wouldn't tame Gnarwails too much. I like trying to interact with obscure pieces of content, but man Gnarwails are terrible. They have some cool features that can be really awesome, like did you know they scare away cookie cutters? Or they throw items closer to your boat. These things would be pretty awesome, but for the former the gnarwails jumping around creating waves screws your boat up that you can't really mine salt too nicely, and they don't throw items to your boat too often, it's generally a bit distant between the times they decide to do that.

I really hope gnarwails get some QoL, they can be really nice, but their spawning can be really bad and is a bit too much RNG(Sometimes I get 3 gnarwails in a single day, sometimes its years before I get a gnarwail, I think it could be nice if the base chance for a gnarwail spawn increased slightly each time it fails, and then resets back to base chance once one finally spawns), and the aforementioned perks aren't really too useful in practice.

38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I understand the struggle as someone who was late to get into pc gaming but I don't think it's a good idea make the pc experience worse to make console players feel better it's more so on console devs(Sony and Microsoft)  to make console systems more like pcs not the other way around don't starve at it's base was designed as a pc game. The best solution would be to give the option to use keyboard and mouse on console dst.

16 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I understand the struggle as someone who was late to get into pc gaming but I don't think it's a good idea make the pc experience worse to make console players feel better it's more so on console devs(Sony and Microsoft)  to make console systems more like pcs not the other way around don't starve at it's base was designed as a pc game. The best solution would be to give the option to use keyboard and mouse on console dst.

I’m not so sure that’s the best solution: because then the game would have had to have a clear label in buying it that reads as “Works best with Keyboard & Mouse”

Im going to sound really old here but it’s like trying to play Mario Paint (yes that was a real game) on the SNES game console without the box reading as “requires mouse to play best.”

No instead the best solution as much as PC players are going to hate it- is to force PC players to play the same version We are.. (of course only during cross-Platform play..)

Outside of playing Cross-Platform- the two versions can be as drastically different from one another as Klei wants them to be.

Edit: Also it’s time to school people who were too young to remember on WHAT Mario Paint was/is.. it was a awesome game way before it’s time period.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Paint

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not so sure that’s the best solution: because then the game would have had to have a clear label in buying it that reads as “Works best with Keyboard & Mouse”

Im going to sound really old here but it’s like trying to play Mario Paint (yes that was a real game) on the SNES game console without the box reading as “requires mouse to play best.”

No instead the best solution as much as PC players are going to hate it- is to force PC players to play the same version We are.. (of course only during cross-Platform play..)

Outside of playing Cross-Platform- the two versions can be as drastically different from one another as Klei wants them to be.

What would that accomplish tho?

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

What would that accomplish tho?

Aside from making sure PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Playstation 4, Playstation 5 & also probably soon-ish Nintendo Switch versions of the game all play identically when using cross-platform playing options? Well I guess not much.

If your unwilling to forgo mods or your platforms capabilities then you can always opt to just not play cross-play..

but there’s a literal reason why when you buy THPS 1+2 you get two different versions of the game… and Klei should be learning from that.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Aside from making sure PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Playstation 4, Playstation 5 & also probably soon-ish Nintendo Switch versions of the game all play identically when using cross-platform playing options? Well I guess not much.

If your unwilling to forgo mods or your platforms capabilities then you can always opt to just not play cross-play..

but there’s a literal reason why when you buy THPS 1+2 you get two different versions of the game… and Klei should be learning from that.

First what is THPS

Second I might be a inexperienced when it comes to cross-play games but are you saying that all cross-play games play exactly the same even ones that cross-play between phone and console? If so that's actually kinda interesting.

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

First what is THPS

Second I might be a inexperienced when it comes to cross-play games but are you saying that all cross-play games play exactly the same even ones that cross-play between phone and console? If so that's actually kinda interesting.

THPS is Tony Hawks Pro Skater, the franchise that pretty much made skateboarding video games even a thing..

Second- Cross-Play is usually updated as it’s “own thing” and yes every version of the game has to play roughly the same to cross-play meaning PC doesn’t get faster framerates or draw distance/ something to that effect.. because when they do.. they dominate the Console players.

6 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Is it just me or are Gnarwails really hard to tame encounter?

I set them to “more” and regretted it later when one spawned with its horn piercing through my boat. :wilson_cry:

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

THPS is Tony Hawks Pro Skater, the franchise that pretty much made skateboarding video games even a thing..

Second- Cross-Play is usually updated as it’s “own thing” and yes every version of the game has to play roughly the same to cross-play meaning PC doesn’t get faster framerates or draw distance/ something to that effect.. because when they do.. they dominate the Console players.

I'm not talking graphics or something like that I was asking do they put a standardized control scheme in cross-play games. I'm legit curious to clarify. Say I'm playing dst and they made it cross play would the average cross-play game say you can no longer use a mouse you must connect a controller?

8 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I'm not talking graphics or something like that I was asking do they put a standardized control scheme in cross-play games. I'm legit curious to clarify. Say I'm playing dst and they made it cross play would the average cross-play game say you can no longer use a mouse you must connect a controller?

Honestly I have no idea- but most cross-play games don’t have the major gameplay differences DST has between its versions either, I just know that IF DST was cross play, point and drag vs using Controller inputs would need to be fair- because from what I can tell from this thread….

Console players can’t tame Gnarwhails at all. 

Archived