Wormwood is a good character (he is a plant)

Wormwood.

The worst nightmare of people who fear having too much food.

Currently going to Poop Eaters Anonymous to help with his crippling poop addiction.

He's great! One of my favorite characters. I'll give you, no not you, the guy reading over your shoulder, a brief rundown of his perks. Because you deserve it. Again, not you, the guy reading over your shoulder.

1. He's a plant and thus has plant biology.

Wormwood can fertilize himself using fertilizers, as he is a plant, and fertilizers fertilize plants. Wormwood can heal himself for a varying amount of health depending on the poop he uses, with compost wrap being the best and most stinkiest, and poop being the worst, but not at making him stinky. He is. He is very stinky.

He can also enter bloom as, little known fact, he is a plant. And plants bloom. He gets 3 stages of bloom, meaning 4 separate mini skins, per skin, the Klei devs work their asses off on only for you to wear a helmet and cut off the flower some Klei dev worked for hours on. Shame on you. In the 0th stage of bloom, he is not blooming. In the 1st stage of bloom, his head flower will begin to open up a little. I'm not sure if anything else changes. 2nd stage, the flower is now a little more open. Amazing mechanic, I know. 3rd stage, the flower goes bananas, and opens.

Wormwood is now in full bloom. He gains overheat protection (I do not know why), a faster move speed, and has a nifty little plant trail. Bees will also follow him, because he is a plant, and bees pollinate plants. Supposedly, his hunger drains faster, but I have never noticed this. He also auto-tends to any nearby plants, saving a lot of time. After stage 3 ends, Wormwood goes down the stages before reaching stage 0.

Fertilizers have 3 jobs, instant heal, heal over time, and bloom.

Poop and guano are instant heal,

Rot and compost are heal over time,

Growth formula starter is bloom,

Compost wrap and Glommer goop are all 3. (I think, I'm tired and it's been a while.)

Also he doesn't heal from food because he is a plant, and throwing pierogi at a plant does not remove bite marks.

Also, he doesn't get insane from being wet. Nice, except this is Wurt's thing, and plants can get overwatered.

2. He is a plant. Plants like plants.

Wormwood is a, spoiler alert, plant. Other plants are, hold on to your horses, also plants. As such, they are all buddy buddy pal pals with each other. If only humans were more like plants.

Wormwood is best friends with all plants except a select few, including poison birchnut even if he wasn't the one who summoned it, and any others I have forgotten. This means that hostile plants (excluding poison birchnut) won't attack him on sight. He can even pick sea weeds during the day, and is not harassed by eyeplants.

Since Wormwood has a large friend group, he is sad when that friend group is made smaller. Whenever Wormwood cuts down a tree, digs up a plant or a stump, or is in the vicinity of someone doing that, he loses sanity. However, when he plants a plant, he gains sanity. Real easy to maintain his sanity, so sanity down and up as you wish!

He can also tell if plants are happy or not, and why they are sad, if they are sad.

He can also plant plants in the ground, and in farm plots without having to till.

Furthermore, he talks to plants at 2x the speed.

3. He is a plant. Plants can... uh, build things?

Wormwood is- Alright, jokes over, we're done.

Wormwood has a special crafting tab that lets him build special things, only two of which are really super good and the other two are just ok!

Little known fact, all plants have a degree in bioengineering, and as Wormwood is a plant, he knows the secrets.

Wormwood (and subsequently all plants) can transform their body into living logs, and cut that part of the body off, allowing for pretty cool synergy with literally everyone, living logs are useful.

He can also make compost wrap, the super fertilizer that makes him bloom, heals 8 immediate health, and does 36 or so heal over time. Also, no, healing over time does not stack. This is stupid. Take this part of the game out.

Bramble traps are like tooth traps if Abigail was a tooth trap. They do AoE damage.

Bramble husks are an armor piece that has shoddy defense and does AoE damage when you get hit, despite the fact that you never want to get hit as Wormwood! Also picking thorny things does not damage you.

How I would make him better.

Uhh, he's actually a really well balanced character right now. I guess, make the bramble traps reset themselves, since they are technically living, make the bramble husks protect more and regenerate over time, and make Wormwood lose health if he is over 80 wetness due to overwatering, at the rate WX78 loses it, gain a small health regen, at the rate of WX78 but it's gain not loss, when he's under 80 but over 50, and keep it the same when he's under 50. I think this would be neat.

Alright, that's it. Have a good one.

wormwoods fine, but imo he doesnt bring much to the table, more so now that farming is way better. if you want a speed boost for fighting, wolfgang is there, if you just want a general fast movement speed option, he's good at that, but ultimately beefalo outclass him, his armour has some niche uses probably. honestly his blooming is more annoying than helpful in a multiplayer setting, since any nearby bee boxes become rather hazardous when spring rolls around. i dont have any problems with him, but theres not much reason for me to play him personally since all he really has thats unique is no healing from food

Wormwood is best boi.

I tried looking for my Wormwood guide to post here for anyone interested but it seems to have been sucked up by the vacuum of space (or Klei deleted it idk). 

Edit found it 

it got archived cause its old. Not too shabby of guide for anyone wanting to modify their Wormwood experience a bit. 

wormwood is hands down one of the best (if not the best) put together characters of the entire cast. he has so many gameplay options and intricacies.

the only thing that is a slight let down r his two bramble crafts. ive been suggesting what u said for the trap and husk since RWYS. i also wouldnt say no to 1 or 2 new crafts for his tab, possibly utilizing lunar materials or celestial station to connect him to the Moon.  

I like your wetness suggestion in order to differentiate him from wurt. yes to the damage from being too wet but no to the heal, i dont think thats necessary. 

7 hours ago, Ohan said:

wormwood is hands down one of the best (if not the best) put together characters of the entire cast. he has so many gameplay options and intricacies.

the only thing that is a slight let down r his two bramble crafts. ive been suggesting what u said for the trap and husk since RWYS. i also wouldnt say no to 1 or 2 new crafts for his tab, possibly utilizing lunar materials or celestial station to connect him to the Moon.  

I like your wetness suggestion in order to differentiate him from wurt. yes to the damage from being too wet but no to the heal, i dont think thats necessary. 

Personally i feel like they should have made him get wet 60 to 70 percent slower and dry fast without a heat source under the assumption he absorbs most of it then he would gain sanity while wet with below 80 percent wetness but lose sanity fast at 80 and beyond.(around twice as fast)

1 hour ago, Theon said:

I thought the post's name was gonna be "Why (In my opinion) Wormwood is tall, stinky and kinda dumb"

Wormwood is tall because his sprite is large, stinky because he has a crippling poop addiction and no concept of what a bath is, and kinda dumb because he calls birds "tweeters" instead of birds.

I love wormwood and they're in a pretty solid place, the farming update came with some good changes and now they're the king over food overproduction with minimum effort for those who want a diet more varied than meatballs.

That said, wormwood's personal tab feels almost... pathetic. One of if not the first characters to have their own little craftables and most of them just aren't that great or interesting. That tab could really use a second glance. Personally wouldn't mind a wormwood-crafted weapon that acts similar to the batbat and heals on hit so that people using the character for the first time could get use to no food-healing easier by rewarding good combat. Things like autoreset on the brambles or maybe even a slow expansion mechanic (Like how the brambles in Hamlet would spread over the map, just limited in range) could make some of the tools more neat to use. 

(Also god replacing the compost wrap nitre with actual compost or something)

I used to enjoy wormwood as a “challenge” character but then Klei changed him up to be easier to heal by a large variety of methods and “Challenge” went right out the Window.

As POPULAR as Wormwood is as a character (why I haven’t a clue..?) I guess I can understand WHY they made him more easy for even Newbies to pick up & play as.. but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with their decisions either.

(Rot is pretty much everywhere, you can passively heal just picking up loose rot laying on the ground- is it the BEST method to heal him with? Of course not.. but still IS an option when not doing large scale “boss fights” or something.)

My gripes about removing the challenge of playing him aside: He’s pretty fun to play & love the triumphant skin for him.. it takes “Dumb cute pink plant” and turns it into a cool looking alien plant with a menacing eye which is just plain Epic.

Klei will REALLY have to work hard to top that skin with Totally Normal Tree version: And for god sake- make it weird and spooky like triumphant, not cutesy like pumpkin wormwood.

My ONLY complaint about his skins are the small trail of purely cosmetic flowers that his blooms have aren’t equally evil/creepy looking.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

As POPULAR as Wormwood is as a character (why I haven't a clue..?)

funny plant go bloom :)

In all seriousness, he's a really good team player since literally every character will want him (almost as much as they want warly) [and yes, Wigfrid WILL want the filler from farms] and he's a really well balanced and fleshed out character, not to mention fun to play.

Archived