Ancient Guardian needs a rework

Well Since Scott has said they may look into reworking AG..

Keep the pillars you can hide behind but make them RISKY to do so (such as if he charges into them it causes earthquakes or maybe even nightmare monsters to spawn out of them) but also change his charge into an actual charge.. as in he backs up away from you a bit then charges toward you rather then just charging forward with no momentum first.

It allows pillar cheese to still be a valid tactic (large dog can’t pass tiny narrow gap hehehe common sense!) But it also makes that Cheese have some Risk involved in trying to use it.

2 minutes ago, Milordo said:

When he said that?

10 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

We will be making some changes to the new stun-lock mechanics to help with most of the creatures that have been called out.
As for the Ancient Guardian, we are aware that its fight is not in a good state. 

Thank you for your patience and being so passionate about the game.

14 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

I want to Klei take at least half year break and relook all old content. Yeah, new content is cool, but we shouldn't forget about core. There is a lot small things, which should be polished.

A lot small things? I would say a lot of everything

I don't recognize Ancient guardian a small "thing" considering he is the boss and the only one of the ruins, behind a specific old boring biome guarding the key to the first final boss of the game.

Then we need a total rework ruins oh boi, gems balance, stuff endgame balance, ...............

19 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

I want to Klei take at least half year break and relook all old content. Yeah, new content is cool, but we shouldn't forget about core. There is a lot small things, which should be polished.

They have done a pretty big QoL patch before, and they said their next patch was focused on QoL too.  QoL typically means updating / fixing / revisiting old things.  We don't know that the AG is on the list for this next patch, they only said they know the AG fight isn't great.  They did say they didn't want to post a silhouette because it would be too obvious what's up...  I think an AG silhouette would have been an easy guess XD lol  could be.

If AG gets a rework I hope it doesn't get too hard or unfair, since it's a mandatory boss you have to fight to be able to fight AF. Crab King is super annoying because of its' instakill attacks, so most players just cheese it with bees or ice staves, you fight it once to get the Altar and never care about it again. I hope the same won't happen to reworked AG.

If they change him for DST but leave him the same for Solo DS.. then there needs to be some actual Lore reason involved for say for example him now being able to shoot laser beams out the horn of his head.

They can mutate him with the whole Return of Them Lunar Moon stuff that would be pretty cool and make sense I guess… but just changing it for the sake of changing it and also NOT going back and changing it in single player to match I don’t see the point behind..

And in fact: I would rather have bigger updates with new content over changing fights from Solo DS that shouldn’t magically become different from the Solo version unless explained away by Lore such as “Funky Lunar Mutation from lunar Grotto”

The ruins in general need some touching up as far as i am concerned, the ancient guardian is so cheesable its a joke, all but like 3 of the ruins tab items are either overpriced or useless by default, and ruins difficulty ranges from monkey hell all the way to hold F and win.

Take the ruins and dump a couple hundred thousand gallons of nightmare fuel on it, that will probably solve the issue.

This is going to be another one of my crazy (and also probably highly unpopular opinions) but now that Beefalo are as easy to get to follow you everywhere loyally with just the ring of a bell, AND those Beefalo can be taken into caves.. Maybe, Redesign the entire fight around Mounted Beefalo Combat (as in.. make it a charging battle between the two ram like mob entities) rather then being yet another on foot fight… how about we show Cave Beefalo opportunities for some love?

I had my first fight with him just yesterday. I didn't have any strategy, just grabbed a ton of armour and healing and went in to see what happens. I was running around in circles for a while just to see his behaviour (and he's a quite scary looking fella tbh), then I took a deep breath and switched to the "hold F and win?" strategy just to see how much I can get away with. The joke is: it worked too well. I was just standing there, holding F for a minute and won. He got stunlocked like a spider would and couldn't hit me once. Didn't even have to use the pillars/graves.

Is this partly why he needs a rework, or is this just a bug? It was fun this time but I can imagine that going in and just holding F for the 100th time is not that interesting.

Anyway, right when I was ready to release F, a wave of like a dozen depth worms decided to give me a visit, so I got the fight I was prepared for after all…

1 hour ago, vorti said:

I had my first fight with him just yesterday. I didn't have any strategy, just grabbed a ton of armour and healing and went in to see what happens. I was running around in circles for a while just to see his behaviour (and he's a quite scary looking fella tbh), then I took a deep breath and switched to the "hold F and win?" strategy just to see how much I can get away with. The joke is: it worked too well. I was just standing there, holding F for a minute and won. He got stunlocked like a spider would and couldn't hit me once. Didn't even have to use the pillars/graves.

Is this partly why he needs a rework, or is this just a bug? It was fun this time but I can imagine that going in and just holding F for the 100th time is not that interesting.

Anyway, right when I was ready to release F, a wave of like a dozen depth worms decided to give me a visit, so I got the fight I was prepared for after all…

It's not only for that he needs a rework. It is a bug? Yes, partially. You stunlocked him due to his terrible a.i. 

He needs a rework because: he is the only boss of the ruins and a reallyyy important one in the story being just a reskin of a rook with a terrible a.i and coding, hitboxes not clear, a boring and repetitive fight, rng loots (which can be a bad or a good thing, still needs a revisit) yada,yada,yada..... and now you can add in the list your problem.

Ancient guardian truly just "exist".

2 hours ago, Milordo said:

he is the only boss of the ruins and a reallyyy important one in the story being just a reskin of a rook with a terrible a.i and coding

That's debatable.  AG is just a glorified rook, no reason for him to be any more than that.  Its not like AG is supposed to be AFW tier boss, more like "slightly more than deerclops."  The AI is simple, which is different then terrible.

4 hours ago, vorti said:

The stunlock thing happens, or it doesn't.  Apparently you got lucky and it happened.  If you didn't get lucky you'd probably have gone through a lot more armor, possibly losing the fight.  And that is why the AG needs a rework - the randomness of it makes the experience very inconsistent.  Just like attack speed is inconsistent in the game, making some kiting patterns more awkward, AG has some awkward inconsistent things about him.  This is probably the main reason why people use the pillar against AG.  The fight isn't really that enjoyable anyway, so might as well use the most reliable method to win quick and move on.

But remember - DST is a game about preparation.  If you go to the AG with a lot of armor and healing he should be easy, just like all the other bosses become a lot easier with preparation.  The AG is more difficult if you rush the ruins, so try fighting him by day 8 to get a better feel for him.

Just now, Shosuko said:

That's debatable.  AG is just a glorified rook, no reason for him to be any more than that.  Its not like AG is supposed to be AFW tier boss, more like "slightly more than deerclops."  The AI is simple, which is different then terrible.

but the fight could be funnier and cleaner than a bugged big rook. There is antlion or moose goose with interesting fights without the need of having specific or too much gear to be beaten

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but the fight could be funnier and cleaner than a bugged big rook. There is antlion or moose goose with interesting fights without the need of having specific or too much gear to be beaten

idk if I would say the mgoose is an interesting fight XD but no, I don't disagree with you - the fight could be cleaned up.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a fight being much easier with specific gear.  That's pretty much every boss in DST XD

I do think its a misstatement to say the AG is badly designed though.  It was made years ago, and is just a glorified rook.  Having great expectations of this fight is just setting yourself up for disappointment.  Might as well hype up a tree guard XD

2 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

idk if I would say the mgoose is an interesting fight XD but no, I don't disagree with you - the fight could be cleaned up.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a fight being much easier with specific gear.  That's pretty much every boss in DST XD

I do think its a misstatement to say the AG is badly designed though.  It was made years ago, and is just a glorified rook.  Having great expectations of this fight is just setting yourself up for disappointment.  Might as well hype up a tree guard XD

i mean, i dont have expectations of this fight because was made in a time that the most complex mob was maybe monkeys

but if you see the whole scenario where now AG is a key (no pun intended) part of reseting the ruins and getting FW loot makes him out of place. The game has envolved into a more modern game with updates like rot or rwys, every update has more details, characters arent flat, new mobs arent flat, etc so having this 10k hp boss (men, that is too much for such repetitive fight) in the deepest zone of the most dangerous zone in DST (a modern game that wants to keep atracting people and keep the players it already has) that you also will repeat almost every year feels like if was an area work in progress because dont make me start with how bad could be the labyrinth or AG loot 

I kind of really hope that now that Beefalo can be taken into caves they will rework some of the older content to reflect on that, and with Ancient Guardian being basically just a reskinned rook, he seems like an excellent candidate for a charging match Beef Vs AG!

But… if they intend this fight to be done without the Beef then I want him to stomp around dropping cave stuff from the heavens like causing earthquakes, Antlion Boulder collapses, or even Renewable stalagmites 

Make the fight interesting Klei!

On 10/12/2021 at 4:59 PM, Shosuko said:

No, ancient guardian is important. Again only boss in the ruins, the ones guarding the key which once opened the portal to Them, some story we don't know with Maxwell, ending at the end of the labyrinth like the ancient greek story, ecc... So by design in the ambience and other it was importance for klei at those time. Sure they give him the key much later in dst but still, it's more than a "thing". The gameplay and how currently his situation is now makes this more depressing and sad.... 

Archived