Wurt should be able to swim, change my mind.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

They may make it so all characters can swim eventually.. no I’m not joking about that, I remember playing GTA & Mario games where going in water meant dying instantly (I’m old I know shut up) Now.. Swimming through water is basically part of the gameplay for those games now, and it wasn’t as OP or Broken as people originally thought.

In fact Red Dead Redemption 2 utilizes a Stamina bar, you can only swim so far before running out of stamina and drowning.

I know this thread is about Wurt, but.. you have to factor in all other characters during this suggestion- Imagine having some characters who COULDN’T swim as an actual part of their personality (like Woodie) but he COULD Swim if in Beaver Form or something to that effect..

So now your asking “why even use boats?” The answer to that is simple: You need BOTH hands to Swim.. unless your some scaled fish monster who can breath underwater.. which would mean- No being able to fight hostile mobs, no mining things with a Pickaxe or chopping with an Axe your literally pre-occupied with both hands staying afloat.

But what Swimming WOULD allow you to do is not drop all your belongings when you dash your boat into some salt stacks and it sinks, instead you could just swim to the nearest shore and build a new boat to finish your journey.

Now as far as picking up small things like Bottles, Kelp, Salt from Salt formations after you’ve mined for it without having to painfully slowly paddle the boats edge to it close enough to grab it… that would be a HUGE and highly welcomed QOL Gameplay change.

Taking A LOT of the unnecessary annoyance out of boating content out of the game altogether. 

but not without BALANCE- being unable to fight dangerous ocean mobs while swimming, unable to mine or chop means you actually still NEED that boat cookie.

The only character who would be the exception to this would be Walani… because she could do all those things from her surfboard in Shipwrecked.

I've seen you on the forums before and you seem to like posting and talking about walani a lot, lol, I guess she is your favorite! But I do like your idea, though! It's very nice and I could see that being in game!

5 minutes ago, Groopwo said:

I've seen you on the forums before and you seem to like posting and talking about walani a lot, lol, I guess she is your favorite! But I do like your idea, though! It's very nice and I could see that being in game!

In my shortest answer: Walani is my 2nd favorite character in the franchise, And PC has mods that let you play as her in DST, I make these long thought out posts like this because even if the suggestion sounds ridiculous it may inspire a Mod creator to go “Hey, let me try that..” and My suggestion becomes part of a highly popular Mod.. Klei staff becomes aware of how popular “Swimming Mods” are and later several updates from now decide that’s the next official thing they want to do with the game.

So I always provide my own input on how & why I think it would work because You never know who might go “Hey, let me see how well that actually works.”

But for the record: I’m sorry for the very long TL:DR posts I often leave all over the forums.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

In my shortest answer: Walani is my 2nd favorite character in the franchise, And PC has mods that let you play as her in DST, I make these long thought out posts like this because even if the suggestion sounds ridiculous it may inspire a Mod creator to go “Hey, let me try that..” and My suggestion becomes part of a highly popular Mod.. Klei staff becomes aware of how popular “Swimming Mods” are and later several updates from now decide that’s the next official thing they want to do with the game.

So I always provide my own input on how & why I think it would work because You never know who might go “Hey, let me see how well that actually works.”

But for the record: I’m sorry for the very long TL:DR posts I often leave all over the forums.

Oh don't worry, I like reading long posts!

4 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

My theory is like beefalo being able to eat grass, they are able to eat reeds, in real life hippos eat them, so it’s plausible.

Wurt just doesn’t get that benefit for balances sake, same reason wetness is a problem for her despite living in a constantly wet ecosystem.

Even for the sake of balance this doesn't make sense when you look at Wx overcharge in winter or webber's being able to eat all meats even rotting meat without penalties.

Wurt should not be able to swim. No one should, really. Swimming completely misses the point of boats and how ocean content works and would break the ocean entirely. I don’t understand why people think wurt in particular think should be able to swim. She is a merm, but so what? I don’t believe merms can swim, and swimming isn’t related to any of her perks at all.

Just now, goblinball said:

She is a merm, but so what? I don’t believe merms can swim, and swimming isn’t related to any of her perks at all.

I believe Sammy or Pipton in the Gorge spoke about merms that decided to leave by going into the ocean, hence why theres just the two of the merms.

But yeah, I completely agree on everything else.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

I believe Sammy or Pipton in the Gorge spoke about merms that decided to leave by going into the ocean, hence why theres just the two of the merms.

it was pipton so i think it may be canonical merms ended up in the constant by swimming there but that brings up the question of is gorge and constant in the same world which i don't feel like derailing this thread like that

2 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Wurt should not be able to swim. No one should, really. Swimming completely misses the point of boats and how ocean content works and would break the ocean entirely. I don’t understand why people think wurt in particular think should be able to swim. She is a merm, but so what? I don’t believe merms can swim, and swimming isn’t related to any of her perks at all.

Wurt can already swim because she doesnt drown when she jumps off a raft. 

Did u read the suggested restrictions/downsides? 

29 minutes ago, LowlySkeleton said:

Just use a boat it's faster and can carry structures. No idea why you would want to manually swim at any point in this game.

Play on an Xbox using an Xbox Controller- Try operating a boat, then come back and tell me you don’t wish you could just get off the boat and swim over and grab those salt crystals you just mined instead of having to painfully slowly row the boat with an Oar, Raise/lower the sail, Drop/raise anchor every single time…

It is HIGHLY Darn annoying.. and maybe on PC with Keyboard and Mouse where the game is designed to be more of a “point and click adventure” it is significantly less cumbersome- but I can tell you as a Gamer that usually when you fight more with the CONTROLLER/ Games Controls then you do actually playing the game… that’s usually when people start throwing their controllers and rage quitting the game.

I’ve tried doing EVERYTHING other forum members have suggested, putting my structures around the edges of the boat out of the way etc etc.. the PROBLEM comes in that doing This or that also does THIS or THAT.. 

You can’t just simply highlight a sail and raise or lower it.. and what actually ends up happening is you open your fridge or your storage chest or your tin fishing bin that’s placed near it- 

and because of a patch that let you remain to be rummaging through multiple chests- now you have both your storage chest and your ice box open taking up your screen view when all you wanted to do was raise the sail or drop the anchor.

Boating might be fun on PC but on Console it could’ve been handled a lot better by uhm i don’t know maybe when you are interacting with the steering wheel having options to raise/lower the sail or drop the anchor from there like you can in an actual game all about boating called Atlas?

But- being able to simply just SWIM would fix ALOT of that frustration, as I could simply paddle out by hand grab the salt crystals I mined that frustrating landed a few inches from my boat without having to carefully paddle the darn thing between formations 

It’s simply NOT fun.. and I’ve already pointed out the Pro’s and Cons of being able to swim:

But just incase it wasn’t clear the first time:

Pros- players no longer lose inventory when their ship sinks & can instead swim back to nearest land (assuming they don’t get attacked first of course), players can jump off the boat and swim to gather items that are clearly visible nearby without having to try and maneuver the boat by paddle to get to them.

Cons- Players need BOTH Hands to swim with.. so they could not fight back should something aggressive start get after them they can only swim for nearest boat or land to try to fight.. and they could not mine resources with Pickaxe or chop trees with axe.

And as much of a DC comics nerd I am maybe the Strident Trident could become like an “swimmers version walking cane?” Allowing the player to swim faster.

I would be absolutely angry if WURT was giving this exclusively… Wurt doesn’t really need it exclusively it would just be one more OP perk she didn’t really need.. but if EVERYONE (or at least the characters who knew how to swim..) could do it? 
I can see a suggestion like this being as game changing as the ever so popular Elevated lands threads.

Edit: Also if this suggestion is taken under consideration players would have to Mount and jump off the plank to swim to avoid accidentally walking off the ledge of the boats while in full motion of course :lol:

1 hour ago, LowlySkeleton said:

Just use a boat it's faster and can carry structures. No idea why you would want to manually swim at any point in this game.

To make the boat. For some reason Klei has decided that a structure that's great on a boat needs a material that spawns barely offshore so you need to make a garbage boat to get that item to then be able to make the real boat. If you could just swim out to it it'd be more convenient.

7 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Thats the thing Leafy meat can grow from plants and plant like creatures drop it. Yes butterflies are plant like creatures too.

That's my issue with this.

Can eat small plant creatures but not the bigger ones.

I think it's simpler than that. I don't think Wurt has a moral objection to meat the way Wigfrid does to not!meat. She just doesn't eat it 'cos it's gross. Leafy meat tastes like meat while butterflies taste like flowers. 

And yes, Wurt should definitely be able to swim in shallow water, if for no other reason than to allow her to more easily control her wetness. It would be really nice to have more ways raise wetness on demand than just water balloons, oars, ice and sticking a melon on your head.

10 hours ago, Groopwo said:

That's exactly why I added so much! I don't want to be eaten alive at all.. But I do agree that maybe she should have a timer and then maybe drown with no problems or have her return to shore with no player control?

The fact a new user in the forum is scared to atleast talk about his opinions, ideas or discussions because otherwise he'll get "bullied" by the so called """veterans""", it's pretty sad....Don't worry, be open. You shouldn't limit your creativity or your desire to talk with a community, especially with your favourite game  :) 

Apart from that you can count on my support for your idea! Wurt it's a problematic character that klei didn't give love or some appreciation. You're not alone thinking on that way too, many people, even me and my friends always tought that Wurt should have more perks and abilities around water and so even swim. I don't found bad even having a timer on Wurt, she should able to swim without timer, malus or others. It just needs to be really slow since in the water and that's okay because you have the problem of hunger, time, torch since you shoudn't able to light with a torch, ecc..... Imagine all the possibilities and fun to farm salt with Wurt for example. Jumping out the boat for 5 seconds to pick up the salt you can't reach with the boat (which appened 95% of the time).   :wilson_cry:

10 hours ago, Well-met said:

I definitely would like seeing a swimmer character. Doesn't have to be Wurt though

No need to add a new character just for swim. No need to bloat the roaster when you can put more fun, engaging and immersive characterization of existing characters 

3 hours ago, goblinball said:

Wurt specifically mentions she can swim and the argument that it wouldn't be balanced already sailed when goose woodie became able to walk on water.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would be absolutely angry if WURT was giving this exclusively… Wurt doesn’t really need it exclusively it would just be one more OP perk she didn’t really need.. but if EVERYONE (or at least the characters who knew how to swim..) could do it? 
I can see a suggestion like this being as game changing as the ever so popular Elevated lands threads.

I kinda disagree with that part.

1 - You say that it would be "one more OP perk" even thought you listed a bunch of cons of said perk on the same post, and if it was really OP then why give it to a bunch of other characters?

2 - Wurt benefits greatly from the resources that the ocean give, even more than the other characters do, for example:

-Stone Fruit Brushes: Grow during winter and when they are in their "closed" state they won't spoil, which means you can stock a bunch of them and open only when you need.
-Bull kelp: Can be used to create a kelp farm near base and Wurt won't lose health and sanity when she eat them. Also Kelp is nedeed to craft the royal tapestry.
-Saladmanders: When they are in their "ripe" state saladmanders will drop dragon fruits, which can be feed to a bird to get seeds and create a dragon fruit farm, and also dragon pies are probabily the best food item for Wurt in the game until now (If someone thinks other food item is better feel free to correct me).
Salt formations: Drop salt crystals which can be use to craft the salt box, which is 4x more effective than the ice box and can store most (or all idk) vegetables and fruits items.
-Figs: Can be used to cook Figatoni's, which are not only good food sources for Wurt but also a great health source too.

Even thought the other character also benefits from most things listed above, because of the debuff of not eating meat and the hunger bonus, Wurt ends up being the one that benefits most from these things so saying "she didn’t really need" emplies that the other characters don't really need either.

I never played Dst on the Xbox so I don't know how bad boats plays in that platform, but I think it would be better if Klei edited the boats in the xbox so they can be enjoyable to play instead of giving 2/3 of the characters the ability to swim.

19 minutes ago, Milordo said:

The fact a new user in the forum is scared to atleast talk about his opinions, ideas or discussions because otherwise he'll get "bullied" by the so called """veterans""", it's pretty sad....Don't worry, be open. You shouldn't limit your creativity or your desire to talk with a community, especially with your favourite game  :) 

Apart from that you can count on my support for your idea! Wurt it's a problematic character that klei didn't give love or some appreciation. You're not alone thinking on that way too, many people, even me and my friends always tought that Wurt should have more perks and abilities around water and so even swim. I don't found bad even having a timer on Wurt, she should able to swim without timer, malus or others. It just needs to be really slow since in the water and that's okay because you have the problem of hunger, time, torch since you shoudn't able to light with a torch, ecc..... Imagine all the possibilities and fun to farm salt with Wurt for example. Jumping out the boat for 5 seconds to pick up the salt you can't reach with the boat (which appened 95% of the time).   :wilson_cry:

No need to add a new character just for swim. No need to bloat the roaster when you can put more fun, engaging and immersive characterization of existing characters 

Personally my issue for Wurt is her perks require the most work of any survivor to pull of and maintain but her pay out doesn't match.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Swimming in ANY regards of the matter (unless Woodie in Goose form or Walani on Surfboard) Should require a stamina meter- that basically ties the character to how long they can swim before sinking..

AKA Red Dead Redemption 2.

This do seems like a good ideia, maybe make some characters be able to swim more quickly than others but also lose stamina more quickly? Also if this was impremented I imagine Wes would be able swim but would be slow and lose stamina pretty fast.

5 hours ago, goblinball said:

5 hours ago, Hornete said:

But yeah, I completely agree on everything else.

they are made taking inspiration from the deep ones from the chtulhu mythos and they live in the ocean but that doesnt mean that klei get the idea 1:1, they could decided that merms cant survive longer in salty waters even if is just to cover the lack of swimming perk for wurt

i dont really think that wurt needs that perk and i guess it will be a headache to make some stuff work with a character instead of a boat

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Personally my issue for Wurt is her perks require the most work of any survivor to pull of and maintain but her pay out doesn't match.

Exactly. First she needs to be fixed in all her issues then have some perks about water and sea

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Play on an Xbox using an Xbox Controller- Try operating a boat, then come back and tell me you don’t wish you could just get off the boat and swim over and grab those salt crystals you just mined instead of having to painfully slowly row the boat with an Oar, Raise/lower the sail, Drop/raise anchor every single time…

It is HIGHLY Darn annoying.. and maybe on PC with Keyboard and Mouse where the game is designed to be more of a “point and click adventure” it is significantly less cumbersome- but I can tell you as a Gamer that usually when you fight more with the CONTROLLER/ Games Controls then you do actually playing the game… that’s usually when people start throwing their controllers and rage quitting the game.

I’ve tried doing EVERYTHING other forum members have suggested, putting my structures around the edges of the boat out of the way etc etc.. the PROBLEM comes in that doing This or that also does THIS or THAT.. 

You can’t just simply highlight a sail and raise or lower it.. and what actually ends up happening is you open your fridge or your storage chest or your tin fishing bin that’s placed near it- 

and because of a patch that let you remain to be rummaging through multiple chests- now you have both your storage chest and your ice box open taking up your screen view when all you wanted to do was raise the sail or drop the anchor.

Boating might be fun on PC but on Console it could’ve been handled a lot better by uhm i don’t know maybe when you are interacting with the steering wheel having options to raise/lower the sail or drop the anchor from there like you can in an actual game all about boating called Atlas?

But- being able to simply just SWIM would fix ALOT of that frustration, as I could simply paddle out by hand grab the salt crystals I mined that frustrating landed a few inches from my boat without having to carefully paddle the darn thing between formations 

It’s simply NOT fun.. and I’ve already pointed out the Pro’s and Cons of being able to swim:

But just incase it wasn’t clear the first time:

Pros- players no longer lose inventory when their ship sinks & can instead swim back to nearest land (assuming they don’t get attacked first of course), players can jump off the boat and swim to gather items that are clearly visible nearby without having to try and maneuver the boat by paddle to get to them.

Cons- Players need BOTH Hands to swim with.. so they could not fight back should something aggressive start get after them they can only swim for nearest boat or land to try to fight.. and they could not mine resources with Pickaxe or chop trees with axe.

And as much of a DC comics nerd I am maybe the Strident Trident could become like an “swimmers version walking cane?” Allowing the player to swim faster.

Edit: Also if this suggestion is taken under consideration players would have to Mount and jump off the plank to swim to avoid accidentally walking off the ledge of the boats while in full motion of course :lol:

I've been playing on ps4-5 since late 2018 and have no issue with boats so sorry idk what to say.

Think of the characters as having a limited stamina bar that prevents them from just swimming as far as they want for as long as the want, a draining stamina bar while in water will constantly deplete- this bar is replenished (and disappears) when on land/on a boat but basically short “gathering” trips that do not require combat, mining or chopping would totally be possible.

Not to mention it would drastically cut back on unnecessary world lag by removing the 500+ Boat platforms people place for things like narrow gaps of land or bridges across the sea 

If anything it would mean LESS bridges would need to be built because instead of placing platforms and hip hop hopping your way across you could instead board a boat swim till near stamina depletion board another boat rinse repeat.

This should not EVER be a Wurt only perk-

Because it fleshes out the character cast and gives us some who can swim & some who can’t-

If players could swim across gaps of land it would nullify Wortox’s cool soul hop ability (no less then the dang platform bridges don’t already do..) 

BUT Maybe just maybe the reason WHY Wortox CAN soul hop the gaps is because- he would be one of those few exceptions who CAN’T swim.

It makes sense from a lore & gameplay perspective & if nothing else I hope some mod creator is sitting here reading this going

”Characters Swim short distances with Stamina meter before drowning.. I can have that done in less than a week!”

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

the argument that it wouldn't be balanced already sailed when goose woodie became able to walk on water.

There is a massive difference between having to transform into goose and swimming on demand. Plus, the goose is one of woodie’s main perks. Wurt is already a completed character with a list of abilities. Adding an unrelated yet massive perk like swimming completely ignores the rest of her character and can potentially make her a bloated character like Walter.

24 minutes ago, goblinball said:

There is a massive difference between having to transform into goose and swimming on demand. Plus, the goose is one of woodie’s main perks. Wurt is already a completed character with a list of abilities. Adding an unrelated yet massive perk like swimming completely ignores the rest of her character and can potentially make her a bloated character like Walter.

Woodie has transformation and on demand perks as well tho.

Walter isn't bloated

Wurt doesn't have a alot going for her compared to others she has.

A loot box(king) that requires constant upkeep who goes mostly ignored outside of boss fights.

Merms who can imitate Maxwell's shadows resource wise and can solo some bosses but who also require babysitting due to buggy a.i. and offers very limited control

Due to the loot box king, non stacking fish, extremely limited control over followers, followers getting lost, and generally not offering anything to a team I'd say she doesn't feel complete. Most Wurts I've come across either base alone or ignore their perks and play because they like Wurt's aesthetic I've more so drifted to the latter due to webber just being a much better follower character.

16 hours ago, Misa22 said:

If Wolfgang got released tomorrow people would be like "are you insane Klei? Double damage, only costs food? Like food is a rare resource!! There is food everywhere! He shouldn't be able to use a darksword beca... Because... He is afraid of magic [...]"

16 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Trying to do so could have her say flurp and talk about how she's scared of the deep water or something, since she's a child.

I just laughed so hard.

Archived