Wurt should be able to swim, change my mind.

See, if wurt can swim but if it's basically 0.4/0.7 walking speed, and freezes during winter when swimming almost instantly, like 2 seconds, and freezes to the point of taking damage in other seasons except summer in basically 1 minute and a half.. Maybe summer could have no problem with swimming or maybe make her heat up instead? Make her not be able to craft items or hold items ( but still be able to pick them up ), and maybe make her scared of going into the water when being chased by an enemy? Kind of like not being able to open a gift while being chased! And also, maybe make the freezing mechanic not be able to be reduced by winter clothing? Maybe winter clothing makes freezing faster or wears their durability much faster while doing nothing? And maybe, you can click on the water to go in and can't use wasd so you can still be on an edge? ( I'm not a coder so I don't know how hard it will be to make wasd and clicking different ) maybe also make her be able to swim away from shore like only 15-20 tiles away to make going to lunar with just swimming even more impossible? Swimming will be mostly useless but still make her character a bit more interesting, but I am posting here to see the opinions of other people and maybe change my mind about such feature.

I like how you add like 800 disadvantages or things that disable the perk, probably because the forum would eat you alive otherwise :wilsoalmostangelic:

Yeah, it would be cool if she could swim, I though about her crafting some inflatable cuff or something (with mosquito sacks from the swamp, pretty fitting) because maybe she can't swim very well. 

The durability of the things would be the timer she has to swim around. And swimming in Winter being dangerous as you said. 

3 minutes ago, Misa22 said:

I like how you add like 800 disadvantages or things that disable the perk, probably because the forum would eat you alive otherwise :wilsoalmostangelic:

Yeah, it would be cool if she could swim, I though about her crafting some inflatable cuff or something (with mosquito sacks from the swamp, pretty fitting) because maybe she can't swim very well. 

The durability of the things would be the timer she has to swim around. And swimming in Winter being dangerous as you said. 

That's exactly why I added so much! I don't want to be eaten alive at all.. But I do agree that maybe she should have a timer and then maybe drown with no problems or have her return to shore with no player control?

2 minutes ago, Well-met said:

I definitely would like seeing a swimmer character. Doesn't have to be Wurt though

I think wurt is the best idea for swimmer character because from the quotes I've seen it feels like merm evolved from fish! 

The biggest insult for me when i started playing as Wurt is freezing when wet.

Spoiler

(And not being able to eat leafy meat and leafy meat exclusive recipes but being able to eat butterflies but that's a different rant altogether.)

Fish / frog creature freezing when wet ... wat?

She loves rain so much but still can die when being soked and doesn't dry herself up quickly.

Found that out the hard way during spring.

Come on.

/rant

Oh but yea being able to swim would be fun if done properly.

1 minute ago, ALCRD said:

The biggest insult for me when i started playing as Wurt is freezing when wet.

Hide contents

(And not being able to eat leafy and leafy meat exclusive recipes but being able to eat butterflies but that's a different rant altogether.)

Fish / frog creature freezing when wet ... wat?

She loves rain so much but still can die when being soked and doesn't dry herself up quickly.

Found that out the hard way during spring.

Come on.

/rant

Oh but yea being able to swim would be fun if done properly.

Yeah.. I don't like wetness and rain affecting her but I guess spring would be "disabled" when you play her and klei doesn't want to do that because of that? Sadly, being wet from anything makes her lose stats which is a little dumb but yeah

3 minutes ago, Groopwo said:

That's exactly why I added so much! I don't want to be eaten alive at all..

Lmao! 

Jokes aside, don't feel restrained because of what other forumites say when you submit an idea, I swear some of them don't like to have fun. 

If Wolfgang got released tomorrow people would be like "are you insane Klei? Double damage, only costs food? Like food is a rare resource!! There is food everywhere! He shouldn't be able to use a darksword beca... Because... He is afraid of magic and he explodes instantly and dies and deletes your don't starve folder! ":wilson_laugh:

1 minute ago, Misa22 said:

Lmao! 

Jokes aside, don't feel restrained because of what other forumites say when you submit an idea, I swear some of them don't like to have fun. 

If Wolfgang got released tomorrow people would be like "are you insane Klei? Double damage, only costs food? Like food is a rare resource!! There is food everywhere! He shouldn't be able to use a darksword beca... Because... He is afraid of magic and he explodes instantly and dies and deletes your don't starve folder! ":wilson_laugh:

Lol! I will take that into account then, but still, I kind of want a civillized discussion, and not a war!

Wurt being able to swim with restrictions would be great. Maybe instead of that huge laundry list it could be she can only swim in the shallowest water, and not into the deep ocean. Trying to do so could have her say flurp and talk about how she's scared of the deep water or something, since she's a child. Then she would probably not step on Woodie's toes, but would be able to get bottles, kelp, driftwood, etc, that's not too far from the shore. Could also make recovering wreckages a bit easier if they sink in shallow water.

33 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Wurt being able to swim with restrictions would be great. Maybe instead of that huge laundry list it could be she can only swim in the shallowest water, and not into the deep ocean. Trying to do so could have her say flurp and talk about how she's scared of the deep water or something, since she's a child. Then she would probably not step on Woodie's toes, but would be able to get bottles, kelp, driftwood, etc, that's not too far from the shore. Could also make recovering wreckages a bit easier if they sink in shallow water.

Would also be a in universe explanation as to how merms haven't starved to death in the swamp

34 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

That sounds like a much better idea than mine!

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

Would also be a in universe explanation as to how merms haven't starved to death in the swamp

My theory is like beefalo being able to eat grass, they are able to eat reeds, in real life hippos eat them, so it’s plausible.

Wurt just doesn’t get that benefit for balances sake, same reason wetness is a problem for her despite living in a constantly wet ecosystem.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Since there is no deep water between the mainland and the lunar island she would also be able to get there tho, which would be great since the lunar island is full of great resources for Wurt. Also when the player creates the king of merms she could maybe gain a slightly buff to her swimming speed? Just an idea.

3 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Reveal hidden contents

(And not being able to eat leafy meat and leafy meat exclusive recipes but being able to eat butterflies but that's a different rant altogether.)

My headcanon is that butterflies are literal flying flowers (Maxwell quote when examining them seems to suport that). That would explain why Wigfrid cannot eat them while Wurt can.

23 minutes ago, Rainteke said:

Since there is no deep water between the mainland and the lunar island she would also be able to get there tho, which would be great since the lunar island is full of great resources for Wurt. Also when the player creates the king of merms she could maybe gain a slightly buff to her swimming speed? Just an idea.

It's only shallow water between the mainland and the lunar island? I never paid attention but just assumed there would be deep water between two islands, that was the rationale behind the restriction. I like the idea of the merm king making her a faster swimmer, though. I made a little demonstration video showing what swimming at 70% and 100% speed would look like for without and with the king's buff, I think it looks good. 

59 minutes ago, Rainteke said:

My headcanon is that butterflies are literal flying flowers (Maxwell quote when examining them seems to suport that). That would explain why Wigfrid cannot eat them while Wurt can.

Thats the thing Leafy meat can grow from plants and plant like creatures drop it. Yes butterflies are plant like creatures too.

That's my issue with this.

Can eat small plant creatures but not the bigger ones.

Yes, Wurt should be able to swim. Problem is this thing with overpowering a character even if the perks would be logical. I mean, Willow can die from heat, wtf?, so I guess it's fair that Wurt technically can swim, but doesn't. 

Also, many other characters should be able to swim based on logic. I get that WX is damaged by water, Willow hates water so much she probably has a panic attack, Wendy just tries to drown deliberately and Wolfgang and Woodie actually can't swim. But there's no way Walter can't swim. Wickerbottom? Walani?? Maybe the Waters in the Constant are just hostile and Wavey Jones tries to pull you down and drown you.

15 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Yes, Wurt should be able to swim. Problem is this thing with overpowering a character even if the perks would be logical. I mean, Willow can die from heat, wtf?, so I guess it's fair that Wurt technically can swim, but doesn't. 

Also, many other characters should be able to swim based on logic. I get that WX is damaged by water, Willow hates water so much she probably has a panic attack, Wendy just tries to drown deliberately and Wolfgang and Woodie actually can't swim. But there's no way Walter can't swim. Wickerbottom? Walani?? Maybe the Waters in the Constant are just hostile and Wavey Jones tries to pull you down and drown you.

Yeah I get what you mean but a lot of stuff in the game doesn't really make sense, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense for her to only be able to swim but it would make her a more interesting character than shrek, the swamp god.

If you want a contrarian viewpoint, she might not be able to handle salt water, there’s a decent chance she’d die in a few hours. It’s hard to tell whether she is a fish, reptile, or amphibian (I’m leaning reptile) but most of them that live in freshwater do very poorly when moved to salt water. The swamp was elevated above sea level, so so think it’s safe assuming it’s fresh water.

They may make it so all characters can swim eventually.. no I’m not joking about that, I remember playing GTA & Mario games where going in water meant dying instantly (I’m old I know shut up) Now.. Swimming through water is basically part of the gameplay for those games now, and it wasn’t as OP or Broken as people originally thought.

In fact Red Dead Redemption 2 utilizes a Stamina bar, you can only swim so far before running out of stamina and drowning.

I know this thread is about Wurt, but.. you have to factor in all other characters during this suggestion- Imagine having some characters who COULDN’T swim as an actual part of their personality (like Woodie) but he COULD Swim if in Beaver Form or something to that effect..

So now your asking “why even use boats?” The answer to that is simple: You need BOTH hands to Swim.. unless your some scaled fish monster who can breath underwater.. which would mean- No being able to fight hostile mobs, no mining things with a Pickaxe or chopping with an Axe your literally pre-occupied with both hands staying afloat.

But what Swimming WOULD allow you to do is not drop all your belongings when you dash your boat into some salt stacks and it sinks, instead you could just swim to the nearest shore and build a new boat to finish your journey.

Now as far as picking up small things like Bottles, Kelp, Salt from Salt formations after you’ve mined for it without having to painfully slowly paddle the boats edge to it close enough to grab it… that would be a HUGE and highly welcomed QOL Gameplay change.

Taking A LOT of the unnecessary annoyance out of boating content out of the game altogether. 

but not without BALANCE- being unable to fight dangerous ocean mobs while swimming, unable to mine or chop means you actually still NEED that boat cookie.

The only character who would be the exception to this would be Walani… because she could do all those things from her surfboard in Shipwrecked.

Archived