[Spaced Out! Update] - 467401

• Developer

Hello everyone!

Today's testing branch is a little different than usual: We've been working to unify the code-bases between the original and Spaced Out versions of the game. This patch is your first glimpse of the updated base game. Now, when you toggle the DLC on and off from the main menu, it will be running on the same code, rather than having to re-download the entire game from Steam! (Note: if you want to go back to the current base game, you can still toggle off the DLC entirely through the Steam interface.)

What we're working on here is the continuing evolution of Oxygen Not Included. While our attention has been mostly on the DLC lately, our desire has always been to improve and evolve the game as a whole. There are a number of changes we've made in Spaced Out which are just general good improvements to the game, or that we had planned for the base game all along but finally got the opportunity to implement during Spaced Out development.

Of course, this includes the many bug fixes and minor improvements we've made during Spaced Out's development, including fixing several major simulation bugs and countless typos. It also means modding should be simplified because there is only one version of the game to mod against.

And do we ever have a modding update! Modders, please read Updating to Harmony 2.0. To all players: these significant technical changes are going to result in many mods needing updating in order to work. Please be kind to the modding community and give them time to react to the new code.

This patch also includes updating our development to the next major version of the Unity engine. While this has little impact on what you see as a player, it's necessary for us to continue supporting the game and pushing development forward.

Critically though, there are several features that you've seen in Spaced Out which are now going to be part of the base game. These include:

• Meter Valves are now in the base game
  • Oxygen Masks are now in the base game
  • Some shuffling of the tech tree, notably moving most of the Conveyor Rails techs one tier earlier
  • Updated food storage mechanics will be the same in both versions of the game
  • Suit durability mechanics will be available in the base game
  • "Stinging eyes" and related debuffs give all players more reason to be cautious with chlorine
  • The Diagnostics panel, updated Resource screen, and other UI improvements will be consistent for all versions of the game
  • New traits, including skill-granting traits where appropriate (coming soon!)
  • Demolition skill will be available for everyone!

All other new content (in particular, the new rockets and multi-asteroid starmap, and all radiation buildings and overlay) will remain in Spaced Out only.

We're still working through a long list of things to separate between the two versions of the game, so right now Spaced Out owners have the chance to try it out on the testing branch! Just launch the game as usual, and use the button in the main menu to toggle the DLC off. (You'll know it worked if your build number starts with "MD")

Thanks for sticking with us through this large technical challenge. If you notice anything that seems to be amiss between the two versions of the game, please report it as a bug! And as always, we'd love to hear any other feedback you have. Take care!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

Here are the changes we've made so far in this update, loosely categorized:

Spoiler

Features

Please note! All items in this list are currently only for Spaced Out! owners on the Testing Branch

• New Unified version of the Base Game based on the Spaced Out! codebase
    • Now Spaced Out! owners can use the button in the main menu to quickly toggle between Spaced Out! and the original Oxygen Not Included experiences
    • Spaced Out! players will be familiar with the fixes and improvements contained in this codebase, but now you can enjoy those fixes in the Base Game!
  • Content Merged to base Oxygen Not Included
  • Meter Valves
  • Oxygen Mask Station and associated buildings
  • Demolish skill
  • Gas/Liquid Irritation
  • Suit durability (configuration and defaults still WIP)
  • New Diagnostics and Resources panels
  • Added sound for Solid, Liquid and Gas Meter Valves
  • Added sound for Drillcone
  • Added research tier descriptions
  • Space POI descriptions
  • New Codex Entries (all plant codexes are now up-to-date)
    • Sporechid
    • Experiment 52B
  • Updated Harmony modding library to 2.0.4.0. This obsoletes all DLL mods in the test branch. Please be kind to your modders, as this is a rather large change for them to deal with! Modders, the full details are in this post.
  • Upgraded Unity Engine to 2020.3

Changes And Improvements

• Updated Russian and Chinese translations
  • Revised the radbolt port design on the Diamond Press, tweaked rotation and interact anims.
  • Added Drillcone diamond storage meter
  • Moved Liquid Meter Valve and Gas Meter Valve to different techs
  • Revised the landed animation for the Solar Panel Module
  • Revised colours on the Materials Research hat
  • Worldgen:
    • Some geyser configurations allow duplicate geysers to be selected for more randomness.
    • Fixed an issue where an unintended amount of geysers were spawning on some asteroids.
    • Fixed an issue where sometimes the destination Teleporter Transmitter POI would sometimes appear above the surface in the Forest and Swamp clusters.
    • Terra Cluster (Spaced Out Style):
      • Increased minimum starting area size.
      • Moved the Jungle's Cool Steam Vent a bit further away.
      • Switched guaranteed marsh geyser from Cool Steam Vent to Natural Gas Geyser.
  • (Modders) WorldGen file structure changes.
    • Deprecated 'pointsOfInterest' in favor of subworldTemplateRules.
    • TemplateRules by default do not allow duplicates. Use allowDuplicates=true to override.
    • Moved SubWorld specific geysers to World files and changed them to be guaranteed.

Bug Fixes

• Desalinator no longer has a minimum output temperature for Brine
    • This may break some existing setups (frozen output pipes)
  • Duplicants now properly migrate between worlds when changing worlds in both rockets and through the Teleporter Transmitter.
  • Fixed issue with lead suits where dupes would not rush to return suit if the lead suit tank was almost empty but the oxygen tank was still full
  • Updated title text for the update image in the main menu
  • Corrected capitalization of kilogram
  • Fixed issue where buildings did not refresh their skill-required operations when Duplicants were teleported between worlds
  • Clicking on the Skills button no longer crashes the game after a Spacefarer Module has been deconstructed
  • Fixed crash that could occur when collecting space artifacts with multiple Artifact Transport Modules on the rocket
  • Space POI resources are now discovered when mined allowing them to be unloaded using rocket ports
  • Diamond Press radbolt meter hookup

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• You must own the Spaced Out! DLC
  • In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 3

10 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

unify the code-bases between the original and Spaced Out versions of the game

Harmony 2.0

Demolition skill will be available for everyone!

OMG YES YES YES so coool! :D 

Do I understand correctly that when this patch goes live (in 2 weeks) vanilla and DLC will share 100% of the code (with ofc DLC-specific things not being activated for vanilla)? Or will this happen in several steps, with some more time before it is completed?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Now, when you toggle the DLC on and off from the main menu, it will be running on the same code, rather than having to re-download the entire game from Steam!

It's a little bumpy... but it runs :D (Only one crash switching back a forth)

The main menu is a slideshow though :crushed: (even worse hiccups than DLC main menu...)

Spoiler

This time for some reason the cursor didn't load :rolleyes: (it was the first time it did that..)

Edited by sakura_sk
one more vid

• Developer

To clarify the timeline:

This mergedown and Harmony2.0 will go live for all Spaced Out owners on June 24th (this update).

We are still TBD when the mergedown and Harmony2.0 will go live for all Oxygen Not Included players. It will similarly be preceded by a testing branch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

I didn't really need any natural gas so far and oil well/oil refinery give plenty. One source of water less (even if it was a CSV) means even less available water for SO-Terra

True there is less water but at the same time natural gas generators produce polluted water. I think that for people transitioning from the base game to the dlc would be confused having no guaranteed natural gas anymore as it was sort of a core part of the base game. Though removing a CSV for it is debatable if its the right choice. The marsh typically has 2 cool slush, and I have almost always gotten a hydrogen and CSV as of the more recent updates now which is a lot of water. 

Just made a terra world to check it out, yea its just one CSV and the natural gas, seems kinda unbalanced compared to the other starting options then.

Edited by crbd115
  • Like 1

Were geyser spawns toned down this update? Instead of 4(?) random geysers on the irridiated & oily asteroids, I'm only getting 2 on beta-generated worlds (and also only one random geyser on the marshy asteroid instead of 2). I liked the higher numbers...

2 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

True there is less water but at the same time natural gas generators produce polluted water. I think that for people transitioning from the base game to the dlc would be confused having no guaranteed natural gas anymore as it was sort of a core part of the base game. Though removing a CSV for it is debatable if its the right choice. The marsh typically has 2 cool slush, and I have almost always gotten a hydrogen and CSV as of the more recent updates now which is a lot of water. 

The amount of polluted water generates by natural gas generators seems very small... and I would like it if Terra was more comparable to the other two starts in terms of water sources.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Electroely said:

Were geyser spawns toned down this update? Instead of 4(?) random geysers on the irridiated & oily asteroids, I'm only getting 2 on beta-generated worlds (and also only one random geyser on the marshy asteroid instead of 2). I liked the higher numbers...

and I would like it if Terra was more comparable to the other two starts in terms of water sources.

Yea it does seem weird that it has less of everything compared to the other starts

1 minute ago, crbd115 said:

True there is less water but at the same time natural gas generators produce polluted water.

I don't think that is enough to cover it...

But.. What I should be saying from the start: Terra was lacking in geyser count and now is lacking even more.

*I'll conclude after the weekend if that is playable though :p

@Electroely -> "Fixed an issue where an unintended amount of geysers were spawning on some asteroids." probably this bug fix

• Big Ups 1

5 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

I don't think that is enough to cover it...

But.. What I should be saying from the start: Terra was lacking in geyser count and now is lacking even more.

*I'll conclude after the weekend if that is playable though :p

@Electroely -> "Fixed an issue where an unintended amount of geysers were spawning on some asteroids." probably this bug fix

yea I'm going through each start now, terra had 1 csv and 1 nat gas and that was it, forest had 2 slush and a csv and hydrogen, and swamp had the same as forest. Yea that seems unbalanced.
Also on swamp start, the oily planetoid had only the sulfur vents which is also dissapointing

Edited by crbd115

12 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I would like it if Terra was more comparable to the other two starts in terms of water sources.

I think the water sources being less might be good since you get more general resources in terra. It also makes that world more unique in that it incentivizes space travel to get more water.

It might be unbalanced though

Edited by Squeegee
reworded
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

I think the water sources being less might be good since you get more general resources in terra. It also makes that world more unique in that it incentivizes space travel to get more water.

It could be unbalanced at the same time though

Adding some guaranteed (hopefully cold!) water sources on the other two early-game planets could keep Terra unique in that regard while also making it more balanced. Though I don't personally mind it too much the way it is now - if it comes down to emptying out the Water Moonlet and taming its guaranteed 2 water geysers, then so be it.

15 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Oh, I didn't notice that. I think it's kind of unfortunate... I had a lot more fun with the higher geyser spawns (and I still noticed significant variation between playthroughs...) if there's a mod that can bring these increased spawns back, I'd subscribe in a heartbeat.

Edited by Electroely
  • Like 1

Just now, Squeegee said:

It could be unbalanced at the same time though

But if swamp and forest starts also get access to space they just have more renewables overall anyway. Also if the player starting terra wants more water they have to go to the water planetoid which takes higher tier rockets that would be using their mostly non renewable water in the first place if they haven't spent it all on other parts of their base.

Just now, Electroely said:

Oh, I didn't notice that. I think it's kind of unfortunate... I had a lot more fun with the higher geyser spawns (and I still noticed significant variation between playthroughs...) if there's a mod that can bring these increased spawns back, I'd subscribe in a heartbeat.

I'm sure eventually we will have world features again like geo active or geo dormant again in the future

Personally I think that each start should have acess to the same number of the same types of resources, 1-2 water, 1 power, and 1 other.
Terra having 2 hot water and swamp having 2 cold was fair. Now terra has 1 hot and swamp has 2 cold and 1 hot. That just seems unbalanced

I'm slightly confused about this apparent reduction in guaranteed Geysers now in Spaced Out.  In vanilla, the Sandstone start had a lengthy list of guaranteed spawns:

• exposed Cool Steam Vent in the Jungle
  • exposed Cool Steam Vent in the Swamp
  • exposed NatGas Vent in the Swamp
  • exposed NatGas Vent OR exposed Chlorine Vent in the Jungle
  • exposed Salt Water Geyser in the Salt Biome
  • bricked over Cool Slush Geyser *somewhere*

So has the Swamp exposed Cool Steam Vent been removed from the guaranteed list?  It has the same chance of spawning as any other PoI in the Swamp Biome?  Is there somehow a reduction to some of these other vents/geysers?

I ask because I went through a long series of map generating to find one I liked just a few days ago in Spaced Out, and the list wasn't any different.  All the exposed ones were there.  Is that not supposed to be the case?

3 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Added sound for Solid, Liquid and Gas Meter Valves

but after update, My already-built gas/liquid/solid meter valves are gone and disappear in structure menu / research tab LOL

I miss you meter valves...

Edited by liotail
add something

3 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Critically though, there are several features that you've seen in Spaced Out which are now going to be part of the base game. These include:

Mind if I ask, when will the update for base game with the aforementioned features happen?

• Desalinator no longer has a minimum output temperature for Brine
    • This may break some existing setups (frozen output pipes)

Thanks! The different behavior for Saltwater and Brine was surprising and having to cool the output down for Brine with a rather complex heat-exchanger for many uses (some types of farming, e.g.) was, I think, not really adding much. It just moved the freezing issues to the heat-exchanger. Also better to have behaviors for both liquids in line with each other. The Tepidizer can now be nicely used for avoiding output freezing in a simple and intuitive set-up for cold Brine.

Anybody that wants maximum efficiency can still use a heat exchanger to heat up the input (e.g. fed with 30C or 95C water), so that element has not vanished. It is now just less needed and placed a bit differently. 

Edited by Gurgel

babba has soon unified the babba base...tiny tiny tiny....ahhhh, a bit more....yah yah yah !

Ive been on this for half a year now, a proper cold war rocket silo mega base...A bit more...

image.png.83627952b43e016467cdb6e5096b8bfb.png

...Then..."Soon" the first fat reactor, yah yah yah ! :afro:

THE GAME IS SOOOOO MUCH FUN KLEi ... please work on the games performance, many thanks !

image.thumb.png.f11aa6ce2252d709a144e7afd05c4ae8.png Reactor :confused::confused::confused: :flustered:Faster Stinky, faster ! Move things from there to there...

Edited by babba
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 1