You're breakin' my heart guys :'(

All my nuclear leftovers really want is to make some dupes sick but they caaaan't.  You can see in the radiation screen there, shine bugs are more dangerous :D

I'm on the public testing branch, linux mint.  Others also having this problem?  I know there's not much nuclear waste here, is it a quantity thing?

maybe_rename_it_to_waste_but_not_dangerous_tho.jpg

its_right_in_the_name.jpg

45 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Can you use infinite storage tricks to get sensible amount of radiation from it?

Yeah, was just playing with this earlier.   Don't have my notes handy but iirc, the rad output scales with with density.   It has output at the occupied tile and extends out a further 2 tiles losing ~33% of its rads/tile.   Think the rad output looked pretty linear -- like ever 2000kg of waste put out another 20-25 rads (iirc) in the 4 adjacent tiles.   Solid and liquid waste had the same rad output.

Not sure what rate of waste production you get at the reactor, or if there's a quicker source for waste, but ultimately trying to figure out the feasibility of freezing high mass tiles of waste to make self radiating natural tiles.

1 hour ago, Brian.oni said:

Not sure what rate of waste production you get at the reactor, or if there's a quicker source for waste, but ultimately trying to figure out the feasibility of freezing high mass tiles of waste to make self radiating natural tiles.

Are they soft enough to be pip-plantable? This sounds like a semi-feasible way to make radiation plants work.

12 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

but if you build an airflow or other tile out of it, it is not.

But.. it is radioactive if you build doors or hydroponic farm tiles out of it :roll: (not big amounts though..)

Spoiler

Hydroponic=1rad around it, manual airlock=2rads, mechanized airlock=4rads

21 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I also noted that uranium ore before mining is mildly radioactive, but if you build an airflow or other tile out of it, it is not. Also not as debris. 

Have you tried hydroponic farm tiles and mechanized airlocks? I found them to retain the radioactivity the ore has. I found the airlocks useful for maximizing usage of wheezeworts for growing mutant farm plants.

16 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

But.. it is radioactive if you build doors or hydroponic farm tiles out of it :roll: (not big amounts though..)

Hide contents

Hydroponic=1rad around it, manual airlock=2rads, mechanized airlock=4rads

100g=1rad?

30 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

anyone tested if Radioactive Waste loses is radiation? as in long run it should todo that

Why would it lose radiation? It is radioactive. It only loses radiation if it had radioactive contaminant germs in it that died. Otherwise it should be able to radiate indefinitely like any other source of radiation (I think...)

17 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Why would it lose radiation? It is radioactive. It only loses radiation if it had radioactive contaminant germs in it that died. Otherwise it should be able to radiate indefinitely like any other source of radiation (I think...)

All radioactive material has a half-life time. In that, its radioactivity changes. This results directly from a specific decay of an atom only happening once and the whole thing being a statistical process. Now, whether radiation decreases depend of what the material decays into, but eventually, all radiation goes to zero.

Practical half-live intervals are between sub-second and millions of years. On the more theoretical side, everything heavier than Iron eventually radioactively decays into Iron, as far as I remember, but for "non radioactive" materials this takes so long you cannot really measure the radiation generated.

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

All radioactive material has a half-life time. In that, its radioactivity changes. This results directly from a specific decay of an atom only happening once and the whole thing being a statistical process. Now, whether radiation decreases depend of what the material decays into, but eventually, all radiation goes to zero.

Practical half-live intervals are between sub-second and millions of years. On the more theoretical side, everything heavier than Iron eventually radioactively decays into Iron, as far as I remember, but for "non radioactive" materials this takes so long you cannot really measure the radiation generated.

:shock:

Yeah... I mean in-game. I always mean "in game" when asked if I tested the radioactivity of nuclear waste or other sources of radiation :D

3 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

:shock:

Yeah... I mean in-game. I always mean "in game" when asked if I tested the radioactivity of nuclear waste or other sources of radiation :D

Well, the reason for "why would it lose radiation" would be "more realistic simulation". For the time-frame in ONI, we can just say that it hardly matters. Well, until somebody figures out a way to turn radiation into electricity, that is.

On 6/5/2021 at 1:47 AM, Brian.oni said:

or if there's a quicker source for waste, but ultimately trying to figure out the feasibility of freezing high mass tiles of waste to make self radiating natural tiles.

Stick a pitcher pump in it.  I don't think they've fixed that bug yet.  Otherwise a radbolt engine rocket chimney will harvest a good amount of waste without needing a reactor.  I would be wary of the new partial melting mechanics if you're making solid tiles of waste.  At what temp difference does that start?

On 6/7/2021 at 5:26 PM, Gurgel said:

Well, the reason for "why would it lose radiation" would be "more realistic simulation". For the time-frame in ONI, we can just say that it hardly matters. Well, until somebody figures out a way to turn radiation into electricity, that is.

Perhaps it could be neat to have a 10% radiation loss ( mass loss :confused: ) for nuclear waste, lets say every 1000 cycles ? Does it not make sense or not ?

image.png.3322da10f9e73f7065dbbad443200d50.png

Spoiler

Does it :confused:

image.png.c0a060d78ed24c17facb5cb06a267bff.png

5 hours ago, babba said:

Perhaps it could be neat to have a 10% radiation loss ( mass loss :confused: ) for nuclear waste, lets say every 1000 cycles ?

Why, though? It doesn't need a nerf.

If anything, it could use waste reprocessing to extract some good (highly radioactive) stuff from the mostly inert crap that only works as a heat sink/liquid lock.

We don't need less radiation, we need it to become so common that lead suits stop being worthless. Though if nuclear "waste" was highly radioactive but also slowly turned into some less valuable crap, such as lead (it does that IRL), it could work.

35 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Why, though? It doesn't need a nerf.

If anything, it could use waste reprocessing to extract some good (highly radioactive) stuff from the mostly inert crap that only works as a heat sink/liquid lock.

We don't need less radiation, we need it to become so common that lead suits stop being worthless. Though if nuclear "waste" was highly radioactive but also slowly turned into some less valuable crap, such as lead (it does that IRL), it could work.

So... +1 Celsius per 1 cycle, with 1% mass reduction? That could perhaps be a simplified game model to simulate radiation :confused:

17 minutes ago, babba said:

So... +1 Celsius per 1 cycle, with 1% mass reduction?

Mass reduction entirely dependent on its useful role that it would get. At the current state, it should be 0%, since its current gameplay roles are "clogging up the reactor chamber" and being a high temperature liquid lock ingredient.

Just producing heat would also be terrible from "realism" point of view when you realize that it would lead to nuclear waste being used entirely to boost nuclear reactor heat output. Opposite to what happens IRL, where waste is removed and reprocessed because it impairs the reactor's ability to produce heat.

Archived