Grim, the's Guide to Warly

Warly Tips:

BY: "Grim, the#7165" on discord, "Grim the" on the Klei Entertainment Forums.
Special Thanks to "dogman#6179" for asking "any warly tips" on the unofficial Don't Starve discord, and to @McNugget and @OG Nickname for reviewing this guide for typos.

Hunger:
Warly's hunger may seem difficult at first, but it really is quite simple. Since his memory lasts 2 days, and he loses 90 hunger a day, that means for any combo, you need 180+ hunger. All you need is meatballs and meaty stew, which gives 212.5 hunger.
How do you make meaty stew? 3 meat value. The recipe I recommend is 2 meat and 1 monster meat, or 1 meat, 1 monster meat, and 2 morsels/drumsticks.

Health:
While health may be difficult compared to what you're likely used to with perogi and other foods, health isn't *too* big of an issue, with enough preparation. First, use Pepper-Spiced Volt Goat Chaud-Froid in boss fights whenever you can. Why? Spicy Volt Goat Chaud-Froid makes you do 1.8x damage to dry targets, and 3x damage to wet targets. If the fight takes a third of the time, the mob can hit you one third of the normal amount, resulting in a third of the normal damage taken. In addition, you can use garlic spice to give you 33% damage resistance, further reducing the amount of healing you need. Although expensive, salt spice also increases how much a spiced food heals you by 25%. Now let's say you're tanking deerclops with a dark sword, and compare the cost to tanking deerclops with a dark sword after eating spicy volt goat chaud-froid, eating garlic meatballs, and using salt perogi as healing. 
No Spices:
A dark sword has 154.54 DPS, and deerclops has 4000 health, meaning deerclops will die in 25.88 seconds. This means deerclops can hit you 6 times, for 75 damage a hit, for 450 total damage.
Spices & Chaud-Froid: 
A dark sword has 278.17 DPS, and deerclops has 4000 health, meaning deerclops will die in 14.37 seconds. This means deerclops can hit you 3 times, for 49.5 damage a hit, for 148.5 total damage. 

As seen by my calculations, with spices you take 33% of the normal damage, vastly reducing the amount of damage you take, even after armor. 

I recommend using high-health healing foods like surf n' turf and wobster bisque, along with honey poultice.

Sanity:
There’s a couple “great” options when it comes to sanity food as Warly.

1. Jelly salad. (+50 sanity, 2 leafy meat 2 honey)

2. Ice Cream (+50 sanity, 1 electric milk, 1 honey, 1 ice)

Salsa Fresca, Moqueca, Fancy Spiralled Tubers, Creamy Potato Puree, and Soothing Tea are also good too. (Thanks to @Cheggf and @penguin0616 for reminding me in the replies, along with @Theukon-dos and @Pig Princess)

However, you also can't smash green caps for easy in-sanity, and there's only 2 crockpot foods that take sanity without taking health too. (Stuffed Pepper Poppers {-5} and Fish Cordon Bleu {-10}, both aren't worth the cost) Because of this, you've got a couple options when it comes to sanity- 

Option A:
Ebb and flow from sanity to insanity, and get the fuel that comes with it. 

Option B:
Rush the shadow manipulator for a dark sword and night armor **exclusively** for going insane, and farm fuel like that.

Option C:
Gonna copy the discord server's rules here, and make my own rule 5:

Rule 5:
"If a member of the Staff team asks you to stop doing something that is not explicitly listed here, please listen to them."
Pretty much these arent the only ways to farm fuel, and if you find another method, please do tell me.

EDIT: I’ve been playing Walter too much recently and forgot about sanity clothing. Tam o’ Shanter and the Hibernation vest are solid options too, especially since it reduces hunger drain.

Extra Tips:
The belt of hunger allows you to go 5 days without eating on a full stomach.
Base in the oasis, as it allows you to be close to Volt Goats for Volt Goat Chaud-Froid, and farming during summer without flingomatics. Also fish during summer for Moqueca.
https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Crock_Pot/Recipe_Table is your friend until you learn all the recipes.
Get a lureplant farm set up fast, as it gives you access to Jelly Salad and Beefy Greens.
The best farm synergies for Warly, at least in my opinion, are 3 pepper, 3 garlic, and 3 onion, and 4 potato & 4 tomato.

This is not final, and it may change as I continue to learn more about playing and mastering Warly.

Closing Notes:

I might do a Walter guide after I eat a couple jelly salads to regain my sanity, and I might elaborate more on recipes I use. If there's any typos, please DM or @ me on discord or the forums.
This guide was originally written for discord, and as such, there way be formatting errors.

Au Revior,

Grim, the

Basically any passive sanity form, particularly a Tam O' Shanter, will be enough to keep your sanity up under most situations. And for situations where you need to go insane, you can either spam wormholes or a Lazy Deserter inorder to quickly drain your sanity.

Hello! I agree with most thinghs, but not all. For me best combos are onion+pepper+garlic and tomato+dragonfruit, because it allows me to produce moqueca+dragonpie combo for hunger and healing, which I use for clearing ruins. Also dragonpie helps to utilise almost any ingredient into something more useful than meatballs, so this recipe helps to clean my fridge from spare honey, butterfly wings, extra tomatoes (when I don't need them for something else and am about to go to the ruins for the next 2 seasons), spoiled meat (which I convert into eggs) and eggs etc. Also I use hot dragon chili salad when I enter caves in winter for killing Fuelweaver (it allows me to wear backpack, moggles and to not bring termal stone). I think with proper setup Warly can clear ruins and fight bosses any time of the year, but I prefer to alternate spring ruins clearing + summer crop farming and spring moose-goose hunt + summer ruins clearing (in both cases I can stay for the whole autumn to finish whatever work I have in the caves/ruins).

Also in defence for stuffed pepper poppers: it's inefficient recipe when you have every farm available and are on the mainland, but if you don't have access to eggs and/or are in the lunar island, they might be more convenient to cook. For example, in lights out you typically don't have a bird, but can cast star caller staff to grow your plants; on the lunar island food which drains your sanity/reduces lunacy is preferable to the one which raises this stat. It might seem insignificant, but again, if you can have easier time here and have ingredients, why not use them? Also I use spices only for ruins clearing/boss fights, so I always have more peppers than I currently need. They can be converted into spices or be utilized along with meat into moderately useful recipe.

In defence for fish cordon bleu: this item is great if you want to fight boss during rain or clear ruins in spring. For the latter this effect can be achieved by using rain coat (and switch to body armor when needed), but fish cordon bleu allows you to use backpack or magi+head armor combination. And you will be insane anyway, so -20 sanity doesn't matter; for nightmare fuel farm you can just stay into caves or fight nightmares during nightmare phase, not to mention bone helm. The only problem I see is difficulty in mass-farming ingredients. But for frog legs I either wait for frog rain and run to the moose/goose or start fight with moose/goose, which often triggers the rain with a chance to it being a frog rain; another option is to have Wendy in your team (2 spectral cure all's will usually be enough for the full rain duration). For fish you can fish in ruins ponds, which often are generated close to each other, are safe place during calm phase (after slurpers and debth worms in the area were killed), and guarantee you fish with full fish value, so you can cook 9 fish cordon bleu dishes per fishing rod. Also if you have deep bath shoal near your base deep bath is an option, because it is easy to catch, doesn't cost you any resources (except gear for killing Malbatross occasionally) and it can be stored forever until needed. Important thing to mention is the fact that you don't need to cook a lot of this dish, around 5 pieces for ruins clearing and 1 per boss fight should be enough, and for most of the bosses you can wear eyebrella/rain coat anyway.

For regular days in the constant not filled with combat I use meaty stew+honey ham combo, because it allows to passively heal after boss fights (I don't like to heal mid-fight because it often breaks kiting pattern), and honey is cheap and long lasting filler. Since I kill moose/goose regularly in large quantities (but lureplants and pig oven are also good alternative), I have meat for both honey ham and meaty stew. If I desperately need healing right now and can't afford to run around at low hp for several days, I cook whatever is available in the biome/near my base (which is located in dragonfly desert). Emergency healing in the early game/far from base and healing bundle: butter muffin, froggie bundwich, honey ham/nuggets, fishsticks, trail mix, surf'n'turf (in the ruins), spicy chili (in the ruins), fruit medley (in the ruins). Emergency healing in mid/late game: flower salad (when available), beefy greens, ruins bundle (which contains moqueca + dragonpie), bat bat I guess (I have a few on my main base, but the day I don't have healing food at all didn't come yet). Also I cannot be bothered by catching wobsters.

Regarding base location: every biome can be good for that as long as you relocate volt goats. I prefer Dfly desert bacause of cacti for emergencies, tumbleweeds, Dfly setpiece and Dfly itseif (in the early game lava pools are good for heating thermal stones, and in the late game I like to set up houndiuses for both Dfly fight additional dps and hound protection), lack or world regrowth and sandy turf (being on the light turf while insane helps a lot, also it is eyeplant proof but player can plant on this turf). Oasis is an option, but you need desert goggles for summer, and I just hate this item; still, it's just personal preference and aside from that oasis is definitely a good option, especially since there is guaranteed source of water in summer for crops.

For sanity problem tam-o-shanter is my answer, or dark sword/glass cutter + bone helm (optional), in the caves bee queen crown + obelisk also works (+ snurtle shell armor for convinience, but it is optional). Also hybernation vest for winter/caves is especially good for Warly, belt of hunger helps to manage sanity on the surface in addition to its main use.

Also I play solo, actively use bundle wraps, use selestial portal very rarely, like to kill bosses without exploits and enjoy organizing different food sources, so all above is convenient for my playstyle, but obviously it doesn't have to be universally convenient.

Edit: Warly on full stomach with belt or hunger will need to eat after 4.6 days, not 5.

Edit 2: I don't like jellybeans and don't use them because of that. But that just means that if I were playing with somebody else, this person would have 2 times more jellybeans to eat, which is especially beneficial for Wormwood and Wendy players.

2 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

Emergency healing in the early game/far from base and healing bundle: butter muffin, froggie bundwich, honey ham/nuggets, fishsticks, trail mix, surf'n'turf (in the ruins), spicy chili (in the ruins), fruit medley (in the ruins). Emergency healing in mid/late game: flower salad (when available), beefy greens, ruins bundle (which contains moqueca + dragonpie), bat bat I guess (I have a few on my main base, but the day I don't have healing food at all didn't come yet). Also I cannot be bothered by catching wobsters.

I like to carry honey and a sea fishing rod/fishing rod around with me, since the honey can be used with the meat I’m already carrying with me for honey ham/nuggets, and the fish can be made into surf ‘n’ turf or fishsticks.

Also I play solo, actively use bundle wraps, use selestial portal very rarely, like to kill bosses without exploits and enjoy organizing different food sources, so all above is convenient for my playstyle, but obviously it doesn't have to be universally convenient.

This is pretty much my playstyle, with the exception of using walls for DFly which many consider a cheesy, and pillar tanking AG since I personally find the fight drawn out and extremely repetitive. On the topic of jellybeans, I tend to amass a large amount garlic spiced jellybeans as “emergency lifesavers” and then I never end up using them, outside of Fuelweaver. I just have a feeling they’re “expensive” and I can “probably get out of the situation with normal healing food”.

On to Fish Cordon Bleu and Stuffed Pepper Poppers, I did not mean to suggest they’re bad dishes, but to show that unlike any other character, Warly can’t just eat food to go insane and must rely on other methods. However, I seldom use stuffed pepper poppers.

If I desperately need healing right now and can't afford to run around at low hp for several days, I cook whatever is available in the biome/near my base (which is located in dragonfly desert).

Since as Warly you’ll have a bee box anyways for Honey Ham/Nuggets and Honey Crystals, I like to keep 5 honey poultices in my insulated pack for emergencies.

(except gear for killing Malbatross occasionally)

Speaking of Malbatross, do you find Fish Cordon Bleu useful for the fight, since you’ll often get hit by waves? I’ve never tried using it myself.

I don't carry theese things, just portable crock pot and weapon, and see what I can kill/harvest for food, but I might have honey in my inventory if I just have cleared killer bee biome (at least partly) or area near Bee Queen; I don't carry fishing rod, and in the swamp merms and tentacles often kill each other, so I have monster meat, frog legs and fish; in the ruins I prefer to use fishing rod on my minibase with regular crock pot, because I can cook surf'n'turf with 2 eels and 2 monster meat, but in portable crock pot I need to use 3 eel + 1 monster meat if I don't want to cook monster tartare with a chance

5 hours ago, Grim the said:

Sanity:
There really aren't too many good sanity foods that also aren't expensive, with the exception of jelly salad.

Creamy potato puree, salsa fresca, spicy vegetable stingers, banana pops, veggie burgers, melonsicles, fancy spiralled tubers, pumpkin cookies, and taffy. The foods that restore not-so-much sanity (Melonsicle and further) can still be used very effectively if you do a sextuple crockpot setup and just really spam them out, but the foods that restore more sanity (Veggie burger and before) will give you a lot of sanity before Warly even starts getting upset.

Creamy potato puree, salsa fresca, and spicy vegetable stingers are exclusively made with what you get from farming. If you're farming for garlic powder you already have half of creamy potato puree.

I never used fish cordon bleu with Malbatross, but not because it is ineffective; I just forgot to bring this dish for those few times I fought this boss as Warly, even though I usually remember to bring eyebrella/rain coat with me. Nothing unusual since I need to kill Malbatross only once per world, at least for now; right now I use eels as my fish ingredient and I'm trying to set up barnacle farm (for moqueca) and see, if it is viable

If you’re setting up a barnacle farm, remember that bacon & eggs only needs >1 meat value, and since a barnacle gives 3 per harvest, feed 2 to a bird and put one in the crockpot along with a meat for easy bacon & eggs.

Yes, I also discovered convenience of the recipe when was learning how to sail as Warly and not die. I usually put birdcage on my boat (but never on the edge!), so whenever I have occasional barnacles and spare monster meat from cookie cutters, I convert it into meatballs of the sea 2.0 bacon and eggs. Sadly, after I grinded 10 cookie cutter shells, salt crystals for 5 (usually) salt boxes (2 for the surface, 3 for ruins minibase, number is flexible though), built giant bridge to lunar island, completed Pearl's quests and killed Malbatross once, I don't feel like there is something left to do for me in the sea; so I decided to experiment with barnacles. Maybe I will feel different next time I play Wurt or Wendy, who knows.

Edit: first 3 images are made in creative world, 4th image is from my survivial world. Salt lick (if you want it) should be put among the first structures because of collision box, and it is not refillable, so I don't recommend build it unless you really want to sail with domesticated beefalo for some reason. I feel like selestial altar pieces are not enough to justify that, and you can assemble them during your second visit of lunar island, and avoid using salt lick because of that. Water pump also can be substituted either with luxury fan or spittlefish (4 should protect you 100% of the time, but I keep one in case I will fight something and won't be able to use luxury fan).

Wendy boat1.jpg

Wendy boat 2.jpg

Wendy boat 3.jpg

warly boat .jpg

I would fist like to say how I think that there should atleast have some mention of the glow berry mousse. The mousse allows for a entire 2 days of bio lumination, allowing you to almost entirely throw light to the wayside for that time period as you will be covered by the glow. This glow is particularly useful because it allows you to ease up on the managment of said light during the night or in the caves. For a commen example, in the ruins the typical way to fight a bishop is to run up to it's face and constantly poke it with your weapon of choice until it falls over. One of the problems in approaching the scenario, however, is the method of light in the approach which has you pick one of the three options. Use a helmet and use a lantern and be forced to fight within that radius, Use a helmet and burn a some of the handy magiluminessence fuel (aswell as being lent a very meh sized light to work with), or use a miner's hat/moggles and use body armor. All 3 of these scenarios have something that restricts your choices, but with the glowberry glow, you don't have to restrict yourself to any one method of attack. I just feel that the mousse is one of the dishes that is overlooked when it really shouldn't be. While not a replacement for portable lighting, it's pretty damn close to it. (Side Note: Normal Glowberries do also provide a glow, but their time limit is significantly worsened and dwarfed in comparison to the mousse due to the time limit being 1 min. to the mousse's 16.)

I would also like for you to add the tip that you can essentially throw the portable crockpot into the dust once you get bundiling wraps as you can just make all the food at once and then wrap it until you need it. Pretty normal behavior and use for the wrap, but I thought it would be useful to be added into the list as some people may think that you need to be tethered to that magical pot for the entire time you play Warly. 

Glow berry mousse is great but I don't think that throwing light on the wayside and rely on mousse almost entirely is a good idea in the ruins, especially when (not if) you will be insane. To me it seems that main purpose of the mousse is to allow player to use head armor for tanking in the ruins until magiluminescence is crafted and during calmer periods of time in the ruins, while you mine thulecite statues, cook food in relative safety, hammer thulecite walls in monkey biome (so you can use lazy forager to pick fragments along with tam-o-shanter and hammer/cane as alternative to magiluminescence/lantern/moggles solution). Radius of glowing vastly diminishes over time, and while you are safe from Charlie during these 16 minutes, most of that time glow radius will be lesser than glow from magiluminescence. Also you can use magiluminescence + head armor combo AND moggles: first use moggles to see, how many bishops are in the area, then switch to head gear + magi (optional, I use it if glow radius is already smaller), pay attention to the sounds clockworks make while approaching and if there are too much unexpected enemies just flee and come back. Also I like to push hutch with lightbulb to bishop to deal with knight first (I can even save fuel for magi that way), or second bishop without unnecessary extra hits (but I keep him away from double rook room, obviously). So glowberry mousse helps to save nightmare fuel and fuel for moggles, but it doesn't substitute anything, more like makes these items cheaper to use.

Yes, some people can kite terrorbeaks with a few lightbulbs on the floor, but I'm so uncomfortable with that that I'd better bring moggles and would kite without armor, and second day of glow berry mousse glowing essentially simulates conditions mentioned above.

Also I consider magiluminescence fuel cheap in the ruins specifically because of availability of shadows even if you are sane.

Frashaw27, how much food and what kind of food do you bundle?

Very good guide that explains why warly spices and downsides arent bad at all. Very well explained

I would add the mushcaps to the guide in addition with belt of hunger. Them use head slot so, if you dont want to combine it with belt of hunger, you can backpack or weather cloths. Also for winter could be interesting to use the bearger coat since it also reduces the hunger rate

I think it would be useful to post here comparison of glowberry mousse glow with magiluminescence light radius (and amount of light lightbulb on the ground gives) after different amount of time passed after glow berry mousse consumption. From top to bottom: right after consumption, after 30 seconds, after each minute has passed (counting from the moment of consumption) from 1 to 16. Last image - miner hat light radius.

It is important to note that after 4 minutes light radius of magiluminescence was equal to light radius from glowberry mousse (I checked with the amount of grass tufts I can examine starting from character location).

Spoiler

0.thumb.jpg.9f856f0998b8be34703048e6a34b7b8c.jpg712053594_05.thumb.jpg.12f716aa1fc4e618c795c83914620785.jpg1.thumb.jpg.1273401d172ae82a1f1d233d4aeb7261.jpg2.thumb.jpg.7b9465ffb0d6802c50ac9de5e723703c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.b1e19f6c65b235029c9414d36dc3c6a3.jpg4.thumb.jpg.8c702bfe40f1a5aaba3f69726951402b.jpg5.thumb.jpg.e4d779c96179831b267e7753ea92cb5a.jpg6.thumb.jpg.3771e4592e6ddecbd9f3c253e1b5495c.jpg7.thumb.jpg.e0f22aa67ae5191b3cf4da7ebb3b081c.jpg8.thumb.jpg.c1b984af05315126fd039d860a9c3334.jpg9.thumb.jpg.aba356d7df76f1fdf4ddc2b806e54035.jpg10.thumb.jpg.f6362e02b0691000ba27b59ec07ce53f.jpg11.thumb.jpg.11a47638e387dd0dd113dd7a6b0cf911.jpg12.thumb.jpg.ca0eec71c4222cf2e6d8d0712106df32.jpg13.thumb.jpg.de7820adaafd1720d50148f53c35e8b6.jpg14.thumb.jpg.04e41cb4d281e8aeb95c8b1d59524368.jpg15.thumb.jpg.0a98250ba70c254720e0d43c5618fa8f.jpg16.thumb.jpg.3530259b82785983671bf0da4bd6dd9c.jpg611067979_minerhat.thumb.jpg.e2d1fdd00c531a7a76af50721d01233b.jpg

personally, I think glow berry mousse is very useful, since you can mass produce it using the skeleton late-game, even if it might not be the best option in the caves it can be a good feeling not having to worry about the darkness and not having to constantly manage. I think you'd have to eat it in intervals shorter than two days though, but since you're not really eating it for the stats anyway, it definitly has a place in your food bundle.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:40 PM, penguin0616 said:

If you take up the time to setup a forget-me-lots farm and bee boxes, the sanity buff from the Soothing Tea can be very helpful since it is not affected by food memory.

How do you prevent the Forget-Me-Lots from automatically bolting over time?

2 hours ago, Aeglefire said:

How do you prevent the Forget-Me-Lots from automatically bolting over time?

Takes a while for them to enter the bolting stage, so you just need to harvest from them before they begin bolting and they'll restart growth.

Archived