[Game Update] - 452034

• Developer

Hello friends!

The features currently on the Spaced Out testing branch will flip over to the default version of Spaced Out tomorrow.

Today's patch introduces the Scanner Module, which allows a rocket to fly into the darkness of space and look for new planetoids! This brings with it some changes to the way space is revealed. Now, whenever a telescope or scanner module uncovers a tile on the cluster map, nearby tiles become "partially discovered", offering hints as to the location of nearby planetoids. Between the new module and the partial uncovering, it should be possible to locate and reach every planet in the cluster. Let us know how it works out for you!

Features

• Revealing tiles on the cluster map "peeks at" other nearby tiles, giving hints as to where other planets might be.
  • Added a new "Scanner Module" that will allow rockets to explore unexplored space and reveal tiles as they go

Changes

• Sap Tree art pass
  • Hooked up the Moo Moonlet starmap icon

Fixes

• Can no longer attack the Sap Tree
  • Telescope icon on the clustermap is now more consistent
  • Sap Tree now has its own strings and proper information in the info panel
  • Worldgen: Niobium Volcano is now guaranteed to spawn
  • Worldgen: Fixed a number of worldgen failures due to guaranteed geysers not spawning

View full update

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 4

28 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Worldgen: Fixed a number of worldgen failures due to guaranteed geysers not spawning

Tungsten volcanoes spawning within the border to the magma biome is causing another kind of failure on the sap tree planet

59 minutes ago, Red Shark said:

Resin Tree art. Unclear how it works, yet.

ResinTree.thumb.png.7de5fc27f41e3e2418b88b7fa631ae0b.png

It has multiple states.   Idle, Attack, Cooldown and Eating.   It appears any food dropped in front of it will cause it to enter the eating state.   Right now that causes an immediate crash (for me at least), but my guess is you can feed it your extra food and it will turn out resin, which can then be boiled off to make isoresin.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brian.oni said:

...It appears any food dropped in front of it will cause it to enter the eating state...

Finally a use for surplus millions of kcal of leftovers.

I wonder how much they can eat.  :D

24 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Why two (?) though?

That's probably the new "partially discovered / peek" mechanic. 

I expect when explored at least one of those two '?''s will contain a planetoid.

19 minutes ago, Pyrex042 said:

I expect when explored at least one of those two '?''s will contain a planetoid.

It is one but no other undiscovered planetoid has two. That's why I asked :P

Edit: Well... I get it now xD But still I think it shouldn't be adjacent 

Edit (2): owww...What is that? Dupes expressing more feelings?! XD owww... :love_heart:

Spoiler

image.png.74a6d0deb5b7de0eb07dce1261b5b721.png

Edited by sakura_sk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Added a new "Scanner Module" that will allow rockets to explore unexplored space and reveal tiles as they go

Will the "telescope inside rocket" still be a valid exploration setup or will it be scratched? 

Edit: I like inside rocket setup :-D

Edited by sakura_sk
  • Big Ups 1

There's some rather interesting oversight with regards to swampy start - they lack significant sources of salt water. Terra start, for example the first world I generated had this on one of the planetoids:

20210217153038_1.thumb.jpg.22abcc77ca7ca03ce41e3829f0b75516.jpg

Is there some method to making saltwater that I don't know about? Or is this the idea with the waterweed is to rather choose some other means of food. So are these planet starts supposed to lean in the direction of and endgame food?

If that's the case, then maybe it's my mistake, but saltwater on swampy start is rather scarce.

Insert: I hope pip roid start is a thing soon.

Edited by The Plum Gate

It would be great if there where an End game building that can only be built with Thermium.... Just a thought...... ( interplanetary Launcher..... Twinkle :-D ) now that we have the Niobium volcano....that would make sense 

Edited by Nuclearpower

@The Plum Gate

Isn't one of the new asteroids supposed to be an ocean?  Frost Burgers are late game anyway, maybe you'll need to get there first.

Does seem kind of odd that you can't dilute Brine into Salt Water though when you can do the opposite by freezing it, and that would add some versatility to the (guaranteed) Brine geyser.

Edited by Pyrex042

8 minutes ago, Pyrex042 said:

@The Plum Gate

Isn't one of the new asteroids supposed to be an ocean?  Frost Burgers are late game anyway, maybe you'll need to get there first.

Does seem kind of odd that you can't dilute Brine into Salt Water though when you can do the opposite by freezing it, and that would add some versatility to the (guaranteed) Brine geyser.

It looked like plain water to me as well.