QoL Mega Wishlist

Heyo! So since there's another QoL update coming in March I decided to make this QoL Mega Wishlist with a whole bunch of changes i'd like to see for the QoL update! I encourage you add your own ideas here, i'd love to hear them, anyhow here are my ideas!

A Fire "rework"

Spoiler

Something i'd like to see are some changes to the burnt loot drop mechanic of mobs and structures a-like. It mostly works well(cookable foods turning cooked are a very nice touch), but something that's always bothered me is how everything turns to ash when a burning mob dies. Now this of course makes sense if the stuff being turned to ash are burnable items, but sadly this also includes non-burnable items. So while gears aren't burnable, a clockwork knight that was burning when killed will drop 2 ash instead of 2 gears.

I propose that this be changed so non-burnable items won't turn to ash when dropping from a burning mob. It just makes sense, and I think it would make the playstyle of using fire damage as a method more entertaining and fun to use.

Another idea I wanted to add but i'm not so sure about it, maybe burnable items instead of being completely burned to ash when dropping from a burning mob, could drop while they're in the burning stage, this would give the player a chance to save the items if they have a waterballoon or a watering can with them. Again, this idea i'm a lot less sure about but I wanted to just throw it out there.

Cookie Cutter Shell Droprate

Spoiler

I think the drop rate for cookie cutter shells are very low. As of right now the drop rate for Cookie Cutter Shells are 25%, which I think is a bit too low. It takes on average 16 cookie cutters killed just to craft one cookie cutter cap which is just a bit too much in my opinion. I think increasing the drop rate for cookie cutter shells from 25% to 50% or even 75% would make the cookie cutter cap more worth it to get/use.

Water balloons making Mobs Wet

Spoiler

As of now there is no way to make a mob wet besides waiting for rain. A player might think waterballoons or the watering can could help to make mobs wet but sadly they do not, this is because waterballoons only increase wetness of mobs with the moisture component, and right now the only mobs with the moisture component are other player characters and dragonfly. Most other entities just check the "wetness" of the world (aka, whether or not its been raining long enough). I propose the change for waterballoons to be able to make mobs and other entities become wet when splashed. This would make the Morning Star a much more valuable and fun weapon to use, with its 72 damage on wet targets players could carry water balloons with them to splash enemies to be able to deal more damage with their morning stars.

"Special" Equip animations from singleplayer DS

Spoiler

Willowholstertest.gif

Something many people might not know is that DS actually has special animations for players equipping hand items and hat items depending on the direction they're facing! This is purely a visual thing but I think it'd be a nice little touch to bring these animations from DS to DST.

Shoal Deep Bass Spawning Animation

Spoiler

266988636_GIF2021-02-147-52-26PM.gif.588bd7344cb2494fb705187a6af65849.gif

When Deep Bass spawn from their shoals they just poof into existence without a proper animation, I believe the deep bass should enter the "arrive" state when spawning in from their shoal, just like when schools of fish spawn around the player. (As demonstrated below)
1709500120_GIF2021-02-147-53-51PM.gif.2cd0503fbabcc8fe32ae858b5c9b9009.gif

This ones just another visual thing, but it doesn't hurt to polish it up so i'd like to see it in game :) 

Hold Ocean Fishing Reel

Spoiler

I actually already made a thread for this suggestion, but I thought i'd put it here again too. As of right now the player needs to repeatedly right click over and over if they'd like to reel in their ocean fishing rod. I find this really annoying and a bit tiring on my hand so I think it'd be wonderful if we could simply hold right click and the line will contionously reel until we let go or the line is close enough to stop fishing completely.

Take Fish/Oversized Crop

Spoiler

As of now the only way to take a fish or oversized crop out of a fish tank/produce scale is to hammer the structure. I think it would be great if there was a simple "Take Fish/Oversized [Crop Name]" prompt when hovering over a occupied fish scale/produce scale that'd allow you to take the fish or crop out.

Tackle Receptacle Recipe Position/Crafting Tab

Spoiler

This might just be a me thing but I find the tab and position of the Tackle Receptacle to be very odd. It's located in the Structures tab and is quite a ways down. In my opinion this spot doesn't really fit for the tackle receptacle. I believe it should be moved to either the Science Tab or the Seafaring tab(Or maybe even the Food tab?), as I think those would be better suited tabs for the tackle receptacle, but again this might just be a me thing.

Crockpot Recipe Changes

Spoiler

I'm not going to go into the specifics of what changes of recipes some crockpot dishes could get, but some recipes are a bit... bad.. One recipe that comes to mind is Seafood Gumbo, the only way to make it in DST is to use eels, because eels have a low enough meat value that they won't make Surf n Turf instead. Due to this you almost never see Seafood Gumbo made. How to change it? I'm not completely sure how you could specifically change it but i'd just like to see it be a more common recipe and something you could encounter more commonly. I only went into Seafood Gumbo here but there's a couple other crockpot recipes that could use some tuning. Recipes like pumpkin cookies which give a meager 15 sanity, while its close cousin taffy gives the same amount in trade of replacing the pumpkin in pumpkin cookies with another honey.

Lazy Forager Durability

Spoiler

I think it would be great if the Lazy Forager got a durability buff, perhaps from the current 225 uses it has now to something like 675(3x)? Or even more perhaps, I always felt the Lazy Forager had quite low durability so I think giving it a small durability buff would do wonders.

Sea Salt Lick

Spoiler

An upgraded salt lick akin to that of the golden tools, instead of nitre it uses salt fragments in its recipe and lasts much much longer than the usual salt lick.

Gives another use for salt fragments and I think many people would appreciate a longer lasting salt lick.

That's about all the ideas i've got, i'll be sure to put any more ideas I get in this thread until the March QoL update comes!

Something akin to the automatic health adjust mod. Call me a softie or whatever you want, but health sponge mobs aren't harder due to requiring more preparation, they're just grindier. Maybe make it optional so people that like to tryhard through the game and grind their hearts out do it.

Making manmade turf 2x or 4x would also reduce the grind, and be more akin to things like mini signs. 

Maybe make late game hound waves tougher but less common as a tradeoff?

As many freaking skins as I own for standard average every day Spears I would personally enjoy a way to upgrade those to be actual viable late game tool options & not just quickly replaced by Hambat or whatever.

at this point I can careless what materials I need to upgrade them to higher tiers with- I just want an option of doing it.

• Add a way to trigger Anenemies from distance; Walter's slightshot, water balloons, or something.
  • A structure to hold and display items in your base, like the shelves from Hamlet.
  • Allow "deployed" Bulbous Lightbugs to follow you from overworld to caves (and vice versa) instead of having to capture them or be teleported with Desert Stones to move them.
  • On the same note regarding Lightbugs, kinda wish they were immune to falling rocks caused by earthquakes.
  • "Big Woby" time left for Walter. Like a meter similar to Wendy seeing Abigail's HP.

Maybe more will pop up in my head later.

Yes, needed suggestions

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

As many freaking skins as I own for standard average every day Spears I would personally enjoy a way to upgrade those to be actual viable late game tool options & not just quickly replaced by Hambat or whatever.

at this point I can careless what materials I need to upgrade them to higher tiers with- I just want an option of doing it.

You can upgrade them to ice and fire staffs and most of the skins are applied. They are very useful in late game

13 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Yes, needed suggestions

You can upgrade them to ice and fire staffs and most of the skins are applied. They are very useful in late game

The staff skins will often replace the spear skin with a new look (Canadana Belongings pack) I don’t want my Hockey Stick to suddenly look like a blue or red tennis racket.

This is a HORRIBLE solution: instead I would simply like to be able to upgrade the strength/durability of an existing spear with better materials- perhaps moon glass, Thelucite whatever.. so long as they continue to have the same look but are more effective.

(think Minecraft Stone Sword VS Emerald Sword)

Other QoL features I would like are more control over what does and does not spawn in my worlds- I find people often rely too much on finding Pig King: How would they survive if he didn’t spawn at all?

those are questions I would like to test personally by having more control over what can/can’t spawn in my worlds- and even better I can hit “Random” for an even more randomly generated world where: 

Rather or not Pig King spawns at all is purely up to World Gen.

I know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea and they spend forever rerolling to find “perfect worlds” but for me- the MORE the game can deliver upon its product description that lead me to buying it:

“Explore Randomly generated worlds full of things that hate you & want you to die.” 

The HAPPIER I will be.

Another few things I wanted to add.

Seawreath

Spoiler

Seawreaths are just plain terrible. Their purpose is to lower your sanity so you can have a safer time on the Lunar Island, but they do this pretty terribly. The main issue with them is eating the kelp made to use the sea wreath would lower your sanity nearly twice as much then crafting the seawreath and wearing it full time. A Seawreath worn all the time will lower your sanity by nearly 64 points, while eating all of the 12 kelp used to craft the seawreath will lower your sanity by 120 points.

How to improve this item for its purpose? Well first things first I think we should definetely lower the cost of it. Currently the cost is 12 kelp as to match the 12 petals for the garland. I think this cost should be lowered to 6 kelp maybe even 4. I believe that would be a more fair recipe.

Perhaps its sanity loss effect could be even stronger. Maybe -3.3 sanity? This way you'd lose 158.4 sanity points if fully used.

In conclusion I think if the sea wreath were to be improved its crafting recipe and sanity loss effect should be tweaked in some way.

Musicbox Hutch Tending to Plants

Spoiler

Currently Music box hutch doesn't tend to plants which just doesn't make sense to me! So i'd like him to be able to tend to plants around him, simple but effective change.

Something else, I thought it could perhaps be neat if the one man band could be substitued for a shell bell ? Just a random idea that came to mind.

50 minutes ago, rafaelluismpalm said:

i really just want is the damn option to pause when playing alone, i can't ******* take it anymore have to quit the game (with the chance of being attacked because of the loading screen) every 5 minutes because i have some problems in my home,PLEASE KLEI 

An option to pause while playing with others would be good too... If enough players press pause- the game pauses, In fact Gears 5 lets me pause long enough to go pee right in the middle of co-op mode.

I mean yes there are a few flaws: The other player can’t unpause, they can still scroll the menu and leave the game though: They can vote to unpause, etc..

But for the most part it lets people who have to use the bathroom regularly get up and go take a leak.

DST however requires you to completely log OUT of the world, and if you happen to be the host of the world it also kicks every other player out with you. :( 

56 minutes ago, rafaelluismpalm said:

i really just want is the damn option to pause when playing alone, i can't ******* take it anymore have to quit the game (with the chance of being attacked because of the loading screen) every 5 minutes because i have some problems in my home,PLEASE KLEI 

for real :/

• UI overhaul, the Crafting menu is really bad and finding stuff is often more of a hassle than its worth, a search bar would be great and maybe having a crafting book like minecraft would help alot.
  • Cooking is also a real hassle with no good and quick way to find and select recipes to cook ingame.
  • The inventory ui is generally slow and trying to manipulate items in it isn't pleasant, again more could be learned from minecraft that also has a similar way of handling items.
  • Uncapping the FPS and releasing a 64bit version of the game for PC players would be great too.
  • Not enough good can be said of ActionQueue Reborn, it makes the game alot more playable and enjoyable, the game could really learn from it and build upon it, at this point i don't think i'd want to play the game without this client mod.
  • Stumps grow is also really great, having to dig up the stump after cutting down the tree just to replant it, is a huge waste of time, having the tree grow back from the stump is an elegant and logically solution.
  • Remember Client mods on a per server basis. Server mod settings are saved per server, the client mods should be too, or atleast have an option to pick between the 2 modes.
  • Prevent mobs from spawning inside the player's base. Walls are pretty much useless when any boss or hounds can just spawn right off the player's screen. Have them spawn further away or even better have them spawn far away and slowly wonder towards the player's position.
  • Some way to increase the load distance around the player, to keep things further away loaded.
  • More variety in the appearance of creatures, this could be done with a skin pack, just having something to make Pigs not look exactly the same would be nice.
  • More variety in the menu music, it's like 10-20 seconds for the same track replaying all the time, it gets old fast.

• A way to speed up bulk crafting, when you need 100+ of the same items like turf, it's an awfully slow process, ActionQueue Reborn makes this actually doable but it could be alot better.
  • Remove "domediumaction" & "dolongaction" and replace them with "doshortaction", i already did this in my game but they do slow the game down to a crawl.

9 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

How would that improve QoL though?

renewable carrats? though i guess that's already possible through grotto cave ins. I just want the carrat races to be back natively, like making carrat shrine blueprints being a rare drop from carrats.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:37 AM, W0l0l0 said:

Some things I came up with:

Mobs being able to retarget and hit players that they're not even facing. 

Speeding up the animation to activate a crock pot so it's comparable to opening and pressing the "cook" button.

Being able to use Magiluminecence as goose?

The stupid pillars blocking the view in the Atrium.

Make Slurtle mounds able to regenerate health over time.

Remove small peninsulas in the caves that contain absolutely nothing of use. 

Allow Bernie to be shrunk on command. 

I get it, Winona gets hungry when working, she doesn't need to constantly tell us. 

Make boats, anchored or otherwise, come to a halt eventually.

Fixing that murm getting home issue I've heard so much about.

Structures requiring chronological order of placement for some reason for optimal compactness.

Some level of control over Maxwell's shadows.

That's off the top of my head. More gameplay involved but I'd still consider most of these suggestions quality of life. 

Archived